• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First ever DriveClub direct feed racing footage (GamesCom)

Racers and fighters running at 60fps is a must, and I have a feeling that when these games are reviewed and compared, reviewers will prefer and appreciate the 60fps and less blurred visuals (30fps is commonly accompanied by motion blur to reduce judder) and will give the nod to the smoother game.

Huh? If motion blur is done right then you shouldn't even notice that it's there. It should blend in so well that it looks completely natural to the game. And even when it isn't done right it doesn't cause the game to become blurry. Whenever a game is blurry it's usually a result of a game running in sub-HD or having a poor form of AA implemented (like QAA).

And who says that can't be done? It just doesn't have to happen all in one 24hr race lol. An evening sunset race, night time and sunrise race are definitely doable and in fact have been done before, just not transitions within the same race, and that particular difference is not worth making a racing game 30fps. Racers and fighters running at 60fps is a must, and I have a feeling that when these games are reviewed and compared, reviewers will prefer and appreciate the 60fps and less blurred visuals (30fps is commonly accompanied by motion blur to reduce judder) and will give the nod to the smoother game. Screenshots mean jack, the visuals of the game in motion is the only thing that matters, which is why I think Turn 10 made the wiser trade-offs.

This post consists of propaganda, reaching and spin.

Also, T10 never had it in the plan to include cycles, there is no trade-off or sacrifice in relation to 60 fps vs Cycles. "Wiser", but yet when no choice was ever made.

lol you do know there has been a game with day/night cycles that was 60fps right, on last gen hardware to boot.

It must be posted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQO6JHZl-Cs

And this is why day/night cycles are important to racers and aren't a simply visual effect. Hopefully we don't have to wait too much longer to see a full race of DC at night. The short bit in the gamescom trailer gave me hope that they're going the GT5/Dragon's Dogma route of making night time actually dark unlike many games where there isn't much of a different between day time and night in terms of changing your play style.

KOHIPEET

It must be posted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQO6JHZl-Cs

And this is why day/night cycles are important to racers and aren't a simply visual effect. Hopefully we don't have to wait too much longer to see a full race of DC at night. The short bit in the gamescom trailer gave me hope that they're going the GT5/Dragon's Dogma route of making night time actually dark unlike many games where there isn't much of a different between day time and night in terms of changing your play style.

Fck me GT5 does lighting like no other game. Absolutely mind-blowing. What are they going to do with all the resources of PS4? I guess the seizing of my brain functions is inevitable.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I just want to know what the price will be to upgrade from the PS+ version. I hope it's a modest discount. I'd buy the game for 60 or just get the free Plus version and pay 20-30 for the upgrade to full.

Not sure if the US has the same deal, but in Europe if you buy the full driveclub game (physical or digital) you get 50% off a 12 month PS+ sub

So for me at least, there is a nice sliding scale that can be applied.
- get free PS+ version at launch to check it out
- if I like it, buy full version with 50% off a year of PS+
- if upgrade cost to full version is less, do that instead

Rushy

If I don't open this thing and set up my PSN account until December 25, I'm still good on getting the PS+ edition of Driveclub, correct?
The PS+ Edition of DRIVECLUB will be available well into the new year, so no need to worry.

I just want to know what the price will be to upgrade from the PS+ version. I hope it's a modest discount. I'd buy the game for 60 or just get the free Plus version and pay 20-30 for the upgrade to full.
I hope there is a way to upgrade from the ps+ version to the full version for a discount.
There will be a discount to upgrade to the full digital edtion from the PS+ edition, but prices won't be announced for a few more weeks yet.

- Going by what the Blog said, the upgrade from PS Plus Edition to full game will still be tied to PS+ subscription; is that correct? Any idea about the price? Edit: Missed your previous post.
- With the PS Plus Edition will we be able to 'finish' the game/earn all the trophies?
- In some trailers you can see the rear-view mirror reflecting the interiors of the car, but that's not the case during gameplay. Is it just for trailers, or will it be on the game once it ships?
- Is there going to be a photo mode? I love the pics you guys are posting on twitter :)
- Are you capturing these videos with PS4 recording feature?
- Is it feasible to upload these clips also on vimeo.com? That site has very little compression on videos (and lately I can't stand youtube)
- When you upgrade from the PS+ Edition you get the full digital edition content.
- You can earn the platinum trophy in the PS+ Edition, remember its the full game minus a few cars/tracks.
- Rear-view mirrors as you've seen in the latest direct feed footage just show the environment - you'd be surprised how limited the visibility in the mirrors are for a lot of these cars and for gameplay purposes we want to give the best visibility.
- We are working on a photo mode, but that's all I can say about it right now.
- You guys wanted uncompressed footage and obviously the PS4 capture utilises some form of video compression to ensure the videos aren't ridiculously large (the raw direct feed videos we captured are 6GB for 2 minutes of footage).
- We're working on alternative solutions for trying to get the highest quality vids up online quickly by ourselves.

This has probably already been answered, but is there split-screen multiplayer in this game?
No Split-Screen I'm afraid.

Not sure if the US has the same deal, but in Europe if you buy the full driveclub game (physical or digital) you get 50% off a 12 month PS+ sub

So for me at least, there is a nice sliding scale that can be applied.
- get free PS+ version at launch to check it out
- if I like it, buy full version with 50% off a year of PS+
- if upgrade cost to full version is less, do that instead
The US get a similar deal: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/08/20/driveclub-pre-order-bonuses-revealed/ "Purchase Driveclub at retail or digitally via PlayStation Store, and you’ll get a free 3-Month PlayStation Plus Trial"

Rushy, just tell me everything is going to be fine.
Everything is going to be just fine.

Haribo

Banned
Rushy, between here and Rllmuk you have single handedly hyped me up for this game so much. By far most most anticipated PS4 title.

Great work!

Shaneus

Rushy, between here and Rllmuk you have single handedly hyped me up for this game so much. By far most most anticipated PS4 title.

Great work!
If I had to be honest (and no sleight against Rushy, he's doing an amazing job!) the single most important thing in getting me hyped for this game it's the E3 trailer. God damn, I love the editing and cuts and cameras in that clip. I still watch it regularly (because the song used hasn't been released yet :/).

Socky

the E3 trailer. God damn, I love the editing and cuts and cameras in that clip. I still watch it regularly (because the song used hasn't been released yet :/).
That is a nice trailer. The lighting is a big deal for me - Forza's lighting, or what I've seen of if so far, looks like TVs set on their max colour, max brightness mode that looks great in stores but plasticky and unrealistic when you look closer (and why is it necessary to turn the sun into God's own super-searchlight?). It's a good looking game but the lighting spoils its look for me.

DC has really nice, realistic lighting (one of the reasons the E3 showing seemed dull was because the lighting was dull - as fitted the Scottish overcast location) and the ability of the game to change the look of every location is nice too. Whether its worth limiting the frame rate is a question for launch, but I'm looking forward to the game and the lighting is a big part of that. I'm not worried about the racing itself - I'm confident Evolution will deliver.

Shaneus

I'm a *big* fan of muted colours in games that are depicting reality somewhat... have filters on PC to do it to most games, and it's why Forza has never really sat quite right with me. All the colours are amplified a little too much. The PGR games got it right, and thankfully it looks like this does too :)

Anybody can tell how this works? I mean, if I buy a physical copy of Driveclub from ANY vendor, I'm going to find something like a code inside to have the discount on the PS+ subscription or I better be careful to where I buy it?

SilentFlyer

Anybody can tell how this works? I mean, if I buy a physical copy of Driveclub from ANY vendor, I'm going to find something like a code inside to have the discount on the PS+ subscription or I better be careful to where I buy it?

It applies to both digital pre-order as well as retail. They haven't mentioned any specific retailer though, which seems to imply that it is for all. You can find details here:

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/08/20/driveclub-pre-order-offers-and-cover-art-revealed/

In addition to that, we have another surprise up our exhaust pipe! Purchase DRIVECLUB at retail or digitally via the PlayStation Store, and you’ll get a 50% discount voucher for a 12-month PlayStation Plus subscription.

Mokubba

I'm assuming it will be in the purple slip like PS passes used to be.

This is the route I'm going since it basically cut's the price by £20 and you get the bonus cars if you pre-order too.

GameSeeker

- You guys wanted uncompressed footage and obviously the PS4 capture utilises some form of video compression to ensure the videos aren't ridiculously large (the raw direct feed videos we captured are 6GB for 2 minutes of footage).
- We're working on alternative solutions for trying to get the highest quality vids up online quickly by ourselves.

Thank you for working to provide us with high quality footage.

Note, we didn't ask for uncompressed footage, just high-bit rate footage. The standard 1080p Youtube videos tend to be 5.5Mbits/s. The high-quality KZ:SF MP footage that has folks raving about how good it looks is 20Mbits/s. If you target 1080p 20Mbits/s for your footage, it should be a reasonable compromise between size and quality.

AndyD

aka andydumi
In addition to that, we have another surprise up our exhaust pipe! Purchase DRIVECLUB at retail or digitally via the PlayStation Store, and you’ll get a 50% discount voucher for a 12-month PlayStation Plus subscription.

Whoa. I hope they have that in the US. Then not only do we get 3 free months, but half off on 12 more?

tumblr_mqc0vxS28e1sye8gzo1_500.gif

androvsky

Don't worry, when people ask for uncompressed footage they just mean no obvious loss of detail from compression artifacts. I see blu-rays be referred to as uncompressed a lot, and I think someone in this thread referred to the upcoming youtube release as uncompressed. :)

The PS+ Edition of DRIVECLUB will be available well into the new year, so no need to worry.

There will be a discount to upgrade to the full digital edtion from the PS+ edition, but prices won't be announced for a few more weeks yet.

- When you upgrade from the PS+ Edition you get the full digital edition which doesn't require a PS+ subscription.
- You can earn the platinum trophy in the PS+ Edition, remember its the full game minus a few cars/tracks.
- Rear-view mirrors as you've seen in the latest direct feed footage just show the environment - you'd be surprised how limited the visibility in the mirrors are for a lot of these cars and for gameplay purposes we want to give the best visibility.

The US get a similar deal: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/08/20/driveclub-pre-order-bonuses-revealed/ "Purchase Driveclub at retail or digitally via PlayStation Store, and you’ll get a free 3-Month PlayStation Plus Trial"

Being able to earn the Platinum Trophy is pretty awesome for the trophy whores who don't end up upgrading the game. At least we can tell the PS Plus edition is the fully functioning game, just minus the cars and tracks.

Pretty awesome, thanks for the update.

ethomaz

Banned
It is not uncompressed footage... it is more like a good quality video in 1080p... Facebook quality is really bad.

Thanks.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

This is the route I'm going since it basically cut's the price by £20 and you get the bonus cars if you pre-order too.

I wonder what it will cost to upgrade the PS+ version to the full digital version. Will a separate PS+ subscription + upgraded Driveclub PS+ edition be more or less than buying the full version right away and getting 50% off on your 1 year PS+ subscription? There's also that deal right now where you get 90 additional days if you buy a year of PS+.

bj00rn_

Banned
I love the general look of this game. They seem to be somewhat nailing the green colors too, something which very few are able to do in most similar type games.

BeeDog

I think the game looks pretty damn good, but I haven't seen any sound impressions whatsoever (or have completely overlooked them). Can someone give some good impressions on how the vehicles sound in this? The sound in GT5/6 is HORRENDOUS, and I really, really want to play a good racing game with proper-sounding cars on a Sony console.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
i must have missed it, but why exactly is there STILL no proper footage of the game and instead im looking at footage on facebook? Im mean, what?! Fucking Facebook is the best you can do? Come on!

It applies to both digital pre-order as well as retail. They haven't mentioned any specific retailer though, which seems to imply that it is for all. You can find details here:

Thanks! This is how I was thinking it worked,too

- When you upgrade from the PS+ Edition you get the full digital edition which doesn't require a PS+ subscription.

Thanks for the response to the questions Rushy!
I was pretty worried about the plus upgrade thing not being usable unless you had plus (I would have it anyway, but it would be a ridiculous exclusion) so thanks.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Thanks for answering my question Rushy but could you clarify whether I will get the 3 free months of Plus by purchasing the digital upgrade for the PS+ edition?

Racer1977

I love the general look of this game. They seem to be somewhat nailing the green colors too, something which very few are able to do in most similar type games.
Be interesting to see if there are any locations with scorched landcapes, like southern Europe.

I'm hoping with their WRC background, we get some locations that host major rallies.

Top Bottom