• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Tomb Raider Review out in the wild - Embargo up on Monday 02/25

From N4G: http://gamingeverything.com/41144/tomb-raider-gets-first-review/

Tomb Raider has received its first review, courtesy of this month’s issue of GamesMaster.

Crystal Dynamics’ latest earned a 90% score. The magazine had high praise for Tomb Raider’s visuals – the title was given a 95% rating in the category.

Players can look forward to 10-15 hours for the main story, though GamesMaster notes that it’ll take 20 to fully explore the island.

The magazine also enjoyed the “vivid” hubs and final third of the game “with its spectacular bombast”. GamesMaster wished Tomb Raider included more side tombs, but the ones present in the game are a joy to discover. For those wondering: there aren’t many quick time events.

GamesMaster sums up:

“Sitting back exhausted we were left with just one question dribbling forth from our gaping jaws. How on earth are they going to top this in the sequel? Because of one thing there can be no doubt. Lara is back.”

Look out for a whole slew of Tomb Raider reviews early next week. Square Enix will be ending the game’s embargo on Monday – over a week before the game launches.

Thanks to joclo for the tip.

tomb_raider_gamesmastuos5n.jpg

Embargo up on Monday, a week before release. SE must be confident. I've always hated Day-Of-Release embargoes. No money hats here! The cover proudly proclaims 'UNBIASED REVIEWS'.

I actually love that. Too funny.

Hyped!

Jb

Looking forward to it. The marketing has been all over the place but I'll be satisfied with an Uncharted style game with some MGS3 mixed in.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
“Sitting back exhausted we were left with just one question dribbling forth from our gaping jaws. How on earth are they going to top this in the sequel? Because of one thing there can be no doubt. Lara is back.”

Some vomit just escaped my mouth.

TripOpt55

I am really excited for this. I'm a little worried, but still excited. I just hope there is a good amount of hub gameplay as that is what looks like the most fun so far.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
A world exclusive being positive? I for one am shocked.

This game could get 10s across the board and I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. This is not Tomb Raider.

Ricker

Some vomit just escaped my mouth.

Some people who haven't played it yet will still make comments like this in this thread also now,jesus the hate this game is getting here is beyond me...looking forward to it and if it's really bad then I will eat my words ;)

Lime

“vivid”

“with its spectacular bombast”

one question dribbling forth from our gaping jaws

How on earth are they going to top this in the sequel? Because of one thing there can be no doubt. Lara is back

This is a perfect example of why game reviewers are so incredibly mind-numbing to read. It's basically fan-boy/-girl drivel filled with an extreme use of hyperbolic language through an incredible use of superlatives. There's no analysis, no critical thinking, no thorough evaluation of the game, and so on - it's like reading a teenager's high school essay of that one time where he/she ate a good cake.

Fuck
most
game reviewers and their lack of thinking.

Dahbomb

Unbiased reviews are the new genuine reviews.

Epic, stirring, gripping, emotional, gritty, mature.. expect to see these words being used a lot in the future.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Thank God. For all of the hate reboots get, this is one series that needed it...

Sure, it needed freshening up. It just didn't need it's Indiana Jones-esque main character to become a frenzied psychopath and to lose it's focus on puzzle solving and ancient tombs.

Exclusive review gives a game a high score.

Not that it necessarily doesn't deserve it, but come on. It has a big banner that says "WORLD EXCLUSIVE REVIEW" on the front cover.

Lord Phol

A world exclusive being positive? I for one am shocked.

This game could get 10s across the board and I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. This is not Tomb Raider.

Quite funny how it says "Unbiased Reviews!" right under. Now I don't know what to believe!

Rapstah

Some people who haven't played it yet will still make comments like this in this thread also now,jesus the hate this game is getting here is beyond me...looking forward to it and if it's really bad then I will eat my words ;)

The quote is a ridiculous thing to write about any game regardless of its quality.

Jawmuncher

Thank God. For all of the hate reboots get, this is one series that needed it...

I definitely agree.
I enjoyed the older games but I don't mind where this is going. People just sometimes don't know what they want or a series need.
If resident evil was fan driven we would have never left the mansion.

sublimit

Banned
Ah so the money hats will be posting their reviews earlier?Nice work Eidos!
tumblr_md7vzhmLfc1qlxz13.gif

Also lol at the "unbiased reviews" at the cover.

Sorian

Banned
I'm sure I'll enjoy it but then again I liked DmC as well so apparently I'm the anti-christ around here, meh. I will say Tomb Raider did need a complete reboot and a change of pace so I really see nothing to complain about here. At least DMC was still a solid series IMO so that reboot wasn't exactly warranted.

I'm sure the game will be good and am looking forward to it, but even though I enjoy Gamesmaster, their scores tend to be on the higher end of the scale for highly anticipated new releases. Grain of salt and all that.

G-Fex

Let's predict review scores

GI - 9.5/10
IGN - 9.0/10
Gamespot - 8.5/10
GameTrailers -11.4/10

DIABOLICAL!

You can't scare me IGN/GS/GT

I'm going to do my own Unbiased fucking truthful review.

It'll be so REAL and so in your goddamn face that you're going to have to get a towel cause of how fucking hard it will rain in ether.

I don't care about reviews, but I am interested in the game. Only thing I've seen that I don't like was that one scene where Lara gets a tree limb shoved through her throat. A bit excessive...

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I don't care what anyone else says, I'm still pretty interested in this game. If they can pull off a more open-feeling Uncharted-style experience, then I think I am sold. I do want this to be good, cuz Square Enix needs some hits right now. If only their marketing and PR hadn't been so dumbfoundingly bad up till now.

Games Master and Tomb Raider.

Party like it's 1999!

It just popped in my mind that GamesMaster, at least the Finnish version (which was translated IIRC), was notorious for giving all the TR games perfect scores back then without exceptions.

Top Bottom