• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Tomb Raider Review out in the wild - Embargo up on Monday 02/25

CTLance

Looking forward to the reviews, even if I won't believe a single word. Doesn't matter anyway, there will be one big brouhaha and once the dust settles (in three weeks or so) the quality of the game should become evident.

Hoping for a decent Tomb Raider-y game with just a tiny infusion of Uncharted, but I've pretty much resigned myself that it'll be a long-corridor-with-collectibles murder simulator. Still, any way this pans out, I guess we'll all have our fun.

Emotional, harrowing, gripping, affecting, gut wrenching, gritty, visceral, mature. Tomb Raider is all of these things. Lara is back baby. Get with the times you bums.

#Reborn#Shill#Paypuh

Montresor

Okei, played a few hours of the PS3 version yesterday at my university, so here are some quick impressions (this will be messy):

(I'll preface this by my tastes on similar games - I loved the original Tomb Raider trilogy back in the day, particularly 2. Didn't enjoy 4, Chronicles, AoD or Legend. Enjoyed Anniversary and Underworld. Liked Uncharted 1, adore Uncharted 2, disappointed in Uncharted 3).

It looks wonderful. Like, really. I'm playing on the PS3 version, so I'm not sure about the Xbox version, but it runs well (few framerate dips here and there, minor). I'm honestly extremely impressed with the graphical quality. The island is extremely atmospheric. Rain soaks the environments, thunderstorms and lightning strikes illuminate dank alcoves and caves, and Lara's model herself is extremely detailed. I'm excited to see this game on the PC.

It's Uncharted. I don't like to redact it as such, but I mean it as a compliment. Will individuals who enjoy the early Tomb Raider's a lot be disappointed? Hard to say. I love them, yet I can accept this is a different type of game now. Regardless, it's not 'Uncharted-lite'. It is of equal quality (surpassing Uncharted 3 for myself, as I was greatly disappointed in that after the second game). Early game focuses on survival - finding shelter and camp, learning to use your equipment and bow, etc. Each section you enter is more like a large hub. They are all connected, however, and hide secret treasures, diaries (voiced) and tombs (yay!). You will go off the beaten path, more so than you ever did in the Uncharted series.

The gun(bow)play is smooth. Extremely smooth. The scramble motion (circle button) is a great feature which adds to the sense of tension and uncertainty. There is cover, but it's not sticky, you merely approach some form of cover and Lara will align herself correctly. Very easy to move in and out without getting stuck like in Gears or Uncharted.

There are upgrade paths. You can reinforce your bow strings for faster shooting speed, create stronger axe's, etc. There are also skill points, which allow you to upgrade either your survival instincts (scavenging for food, supplies), your hunter abilities (combat abilities) and personal or strength or such (health, etc).

The story is engaging so far. As I said, I'm only about 4 hours in, but so far there has been ample amounts of mystery and intrigue about the island, it's inhabitants and the supporting cast. The music and sound effects are phenomenal. I'm a bit of a sound freak, so I'm usually greatly disappointed in games that don't take full advantage of these areas. Not so with this. I advise anyone to play with headphones, as little details such as dripping stalactites in caves add so much to the atmosphere.

That's all. Apologies for the info dump, it's the best I could do right now. Any questions about the early hours and I'll try my best to answer.

Yes, yes. Bueno! You've just sold me on the game. Now I'm eagerly awaiting the lifting of the embargo so I can read reviews. =)

Lime

By the way, what is your avatar from Lime?

It's Rift by James Jean (huge influence on contemporary concept art)
James-Jean-procession-full.jpg

rift_2.jpg

Square Enix is the only publisher to really bother with NDAs, and it's due to a fear of leaks and piracy more than anything else. It's not about scores, it's more or less a general, boring embargo that Square Enix wants to be super paranoid about.

Edit: This is me talking about the US NDA, by the way. Apparently Videogamer and GameSpot UK both had issues with their NDA, so the UK wing of Square Enix might be enforcing different terms. I can't speak for them, I can only say the thing I signed for the US side was dull and standard.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm just going to laugh if it gets good reviews and Gaf still wants to believe it's shit so they just say the reviews were bought.

Derrick01

Banned
Maybe because 50% of them are completely irrational?

If you're talking about the rape thing I don't even care if that's mentioned. There are FAR more gameplay issues with this game that need to be brought up a lot more than that, since this is a video game after all.

It's Rift by James Jean (huge influence on contemporary concept art)

James-Jean-procession-full.jpg

Oh wow, that's the guy who did the stunning Fables covers. Will have to look into more of his work later today. Thanks for the response!

Emotional, harrowing, gripping, affecting, gut wrenching, gritty, visceral, mature. Tomb Raider is all of these things. Lara is back baby. Get with the times you bums.

#Reborn#Shill#Paypuh

I laughed and then went glum.

BearPawB

Banned
Square Enix is the only publisher to really bother with NDAs, and it's due to a fear of leaks and piracy more than anything else. It's not about scores, it's more or less a general, boring embargo that Square Enix wants to be super paranoid about.

It's too bad this wont stop the conspiracy.
But if there was some BS you know Jim would say it

Salaadin

TR to be as good as MGS4 confirmed.

Damn right!

I dont expect any of the reviewers to echo the problems that we have with the game. If they play "generic action game B" and enjoy it, they rate it as such. They might devote a sentence or two to say "This isnt the Tomb Raider we used to know" or something like that but I dont think thats going to affect their score at all.

4 minutes!

Harlequin

Ah, thanks for the info :)!

sublimit

Banned
Pretty much. Like I said yesterday I don't expect most reviewers to even bring up most of the problems people had with this game, let alone echo them.

I'm sure that the vast majority of these "reviews" will be all about Lara,Lara,Lara and...Lara.Almost everytime someone writes something about this series in the media it's never about the game itself and it's always about Lara.

Thanks to Eidos marketing ever since TR2 and especially after the first movie, Lara has been the curse of this franchise and one of the main reasons why it refuses to move on and focus on the gameplay again.

Squire

Banned
Just to be sure: You are familiar with the NDA, right?

Yes. Square is keeping things quiet, but not because they're worried or need to fool people. That's why the embargo is up this early. But people reviewing can't say shit.

Edit: Jim knows what's up. Welcome to GAF, Jim!

Megasoum

Banned
Damn right!

I dont expect any of the reviewers to echo the problems that we have with the game. If they play "generic action game B" and enjoy it, they rate it as such. They might devote a sentence or two to say "This isnt the Tomb Raider we used to know" or something like that but I dont think thats going to affect their score at all.

4 minutes!

Or it will actually improve the score lol.

Odrion

Banned
I would think it was something trivial like not being able to reveal the game's story or something. And those guys probably didn't like that because they felt they needed to be able to reveal the game's story in order to properly review that. Something along those lines, I'm sure. We would be jumping to conclusions by saying they're actually trying to manipulate reviews like this. Until we know what's in that NDA, we shouldn't go around making accusations.
So they're keeping the j-horror elements a secret then eh? ;)

Or they're, you know, Square-Eidos and fucking with reviews have been their wheelhouse since forever.

Harlequin

If you're talking about the rape thing I don't even care if that's mentioned. There are FAR more gameplay issues with this game that need to be brought up a lot more than that, since this is a video game after all.

Not just that. I've heard SO many BS complaints about this game on here. Like that it doesn't have any story tombs (TOTAL BS) or that it has Assassin's Creed style "platforming" where you only have to hold down the jump button to and the character will pretty much jump automatically (also total BS). That it's all just a big corridor and that there's no exploration, etc., etc., etc.

Lime

Yes. Square is keeping things quiet, but not because they're worried or need to fool people. That's why the embargo is up this early. But people reviewing can't say shit.

Edit: Jim knows what's up. Welcome to GAF, Jim!

Does the fact that you are not allowed to say "shit" entail that it is impossible or makes it difficult to comment on certain flaws or positives of the game? I.e. narrative pacing, conflict resolution, character development, etc.?

Harlequin

So they're keeping the j-horror elements a secret then eh? ;)

Or they're, you know, Square-Eidos and fucking with reviews have been their wheelhouse since forever.

Read this:

Edit: This is me talking about the US NDA, by the way. Apparently Videogamer and GameSpot UK both had issues with their NDA, so the UK wing of Square Enix might be enforcing different terms. I can't speak for them, I can only say the thing I signed for the US side was dull and standard.

And if that really is the case, that the UK NDA was aimed at manipulating reviews, then we would be able to easily figure that out by comparing UK and US reviews.

Harlequin

Does the fact that you are not allowed to say "shit" entail that it is impossible or makes it difficult to comment on certain flaws or positives of the game? I.e. narrative pacing, conflict resolution, character development, etc.?

I would imagine that you could still say "the character development is flawed" or something along those lines without actually backing it up with examples from the game so you wouldn't breach the NDA (IF the NDA says they aren't allowed to include story spoilers).

I'm just going to laugh if it gets good reviews and Gaf still wants to believe it's shit so they just say the reviews were bought.

I'd be happy for them and hopefully it would open the door for a chance at an old-school Tomb Raider game at some point which is what many of us wanted.

Very few of us thought it would be a bad game, just a bad Tomb Raider game. There's a difference.

antitrop

Good, good, bring on the 9's.
I've been looking forward to this game since E3.

This is the first time I've given a shit about the name Tomb Raider since TR2. This series was in desperate need of a reimagining and all signs point towards them nailing it here. I'm excited.

I very much enjoyed watching IGN's review and reading Polygon's. I look forward to more swimmingly positive reviews.

*sigh* When life gives me Lime, I make limeade.

haha, I won't necessarily do that, although I would argue that my position is more ethically defensible.

Basically I have a problem with the notion that once someone intends to "murder/rape/pillage", they forfeit their moral value as human beings. In my opinion, they still retain their value, despite their questionable actions. If possible, killing another human being (no matter their past moral actions) should be avoided at all costs and I bet that Lara in a possible narrative would be able to avoid many of these murders, yet still resolve the conflicts or her tribulations.

I've already responded to this. Go back and read everything I've said. In fact, I think we've already repeated ourselves several times. :p

But I did think of a quote that says it best. Martin Luther said, "If God will have wrath, what business do you have being merciful? What a fine mercy to me it would be, to have mercy on the thief and murderer and let him kill, abuse and rob me!"

So, there you have it. I've been providing specific examples and defense for my position, even though I originally asked you to provide justification that what Lara was doing was murder. You haven't given any substantial evidence. You've beaten around the bush and argued things irrelevant to that point.

What it amounts to is, with your stance, Lara would become a doormat for these island dwellers to rob and kill them, if she had your brand of mercy.

RagnarokX

Not just that. I've heard SO many BS complaints about this game on here. Like that it doesn't have any story tombs (TOTAL BS) or that it has Assassin's Creed style "platforming" where you only have to hold down the jump button to and the character will pretty much jump automatically (also total BS). That it's all just a big corridor and that there's no exploration, etc., etc., etc.

"ANY"? Has anyone even argued that? and if they have they'd be a very small minority. Though after watching hours of footage and not seeing anything I'd call a story tomb and it mostly being a corridor shooter I wonder how anyone might get that impression. That's a really slow start, dude. A lot of shit to wade through to get to what you want; if its even there.

"If, however, you're a long-time Raider who yearned for this reboot to push your grey matter to its logical limits with switches, inscrutable puzzles and sprawling cave networks... well, you might just want to dig out that dusty copy of Anniversary instead."

IGN - "This traditional Tomb Raider exploration takes a back seat to the storyline in the main campaign, so it's great to see it shine in the secret tombs."

BlazinAm

I'd say people don't want what Crystal made of Tomb Raider. The series was doing fine until Eidos ran the series into the ground by forcing Core to make Tomb Raider Chronicles and Angel of Darkness was a mess. Sales plummetted with those disasters, and then Crystal's games never lived up to their predecessors; they were too action-focused and handholdy.

How many people know or care about who is making the games that they are playing?

I was referring to the Tomb Raider Legends and Anniversary which were considered a back to form for the series.

handholdy? That is a part of almost all games today.

nbthedude

I've already responded to this. Go back and read everything I've said. In fact, I think we've already repeated ourselves several times. :p

But I did think of a quote that says it best. Martin Luther said, "If God will have wrath, what business do you have being merciful? What a fine mercy to me it would be, to have mercy on the thief and murderer and let him kill, abuse and rob me!"

So, there you have it. I've been providing specific examples and defense for my position, even though I originally asked you to provide justification that what Lara was doing was murder. You haven't given any substantial evidence. You've beaten around the bush and argued things irrelevant to that point.

What it amounts to is, with your stance, Lara would become a doormat for these island dwellers to rob and kill them, if she had your brand of mercy.

The more interesting question to me is thhis? Why do we automatically assume that someone who has to kill one person would continue to have a horrible, difficult time when they had to kill 10 or 20 a half hour later.

I'm not sure this assumption is as safe as many people, like that Machinima reviewer guy, are assuming. I could imagine being the case, in fact, that adrenaline would kick in and you would just begin to morally disassociate, at least temporarily. Is a guy who killed 20 people in a war automatically going to be more traumatized than the guy who killed 1? Some people seem to sleep pretty easy either way whereas some never can again.

The irony is that I think the general critique is "this game really isn't thinking about how the psychology of killing people works," but the question to ask back to the reviewer is, well, are you? What the hell do you know about the psychology of what happens when you kill someone vs. killing two dozen? How much have you studied it? Are you sure it would always carry the emotional weight you apparently want to put on it? That seems just as facile as the idea that it has little or no emotional weight. Therefore you are just as guilty as simplifying killing as you ironically want to claim the game is.

Lime

We are just communicating past each other, since it seems we are repeating the same arguments. In regards to the Lara being a murderer, I already provided possible options on how she could actively avoid taking the lives of other people.

Basically our disagreement resides in how we value human life and what conditions need to be fulfilled in order for the action of taking another human life is ethically defensible. You think along the lines of MLK, while my reasoning is more akin to Consequentialist Pacifism, in terms of the utilitarian value of human life. I don't want to use this thread on a discussion on the moral justification of killing, so let's just leave it at that.

I posted this in the reviews thread and I will post it here again:

edit_preview.php

As a diehard fan of the series since 1996... finished every game that titled TOMB RAIDER, I had my own worries about the game.

But after playing for few good hours.......... all I can say is, I'm very happy and pleased :)

Top Bottom