• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

Spasm

Fender_Uk said:
its weird that anywhere else such as movies 9/10 would be amazing (yes its right next to 10) but for games it just great, been reading a lot of comments on gametrailers of people being disappointed by it only getting 9.3 etc and not 9.6 its just ridiculous..how did it get like this?
GTA and moneyhats probably.

sneaky77

Diablohead said:
Include old tracks = recycling complaint

Remove old tracks = People complain that they can't drive around the old circuits.

Also a lot of the tracks are real world tracks.. is not like those change every couple years lol

Lucius86

Banned
Turn 10 has sacrificed flash for a faultless 60 frames a second, and understood that in simulation, what you feel is far more important than what you see. It has diverted all of the 360's resources to giving you the smoothest, most believable, most physically rewarding drive you've ever had. Who cares what the scenery or the tyre-smoke look like when your eyes are laser-focused on the next apex, when your fingers can feel the road surface? It was the right decision.

That there is exactly how I feel with Forza 3 - the demo at least.

That was by far the 'best' review I read for the game.

saladine1

Sysgen said:
Unfortunatley each of these aspects where I hoped to see much improvement hasn't improved or at least not enough where these aspects stood out enough for the reviewer to comment on each.
Tbh, I feel the same way.
I mean, can you imagine if the game nailed these aspects?

My only complaint regarding the returning tracks is that some of them, (Laguna Seca, Maple Valley), have the same lighting conditions they did in FM2, which only makes the sense of deja vu that much more pronounced.

However, the tracks they did redo the lighting on, (Silverstone, Suzuka, Nordschliefe), look much better than they did before. Especially Silverstone.

LCfiner

saladine1 said:
That Eurogamer write-up read like poetry...

yup. It's a wonderfully well written review. so hard to find those.

I liked this bit:

We laughed at the overuse of the word "definitive" at the game's E3 debut this year, but it's absolutely deserved - this incredibly rounded piece of software has wiped the smirk of our face and replaced it with a warm, if humbled, grin.

that's what makes Forza different in the market. the breadth of options and ability for players to find their comfort zone in areas tangential to actual racing. it's a formidable achievement.

Spaceman Spiff said:
My only complaint regarding the returning tracks is that some of them, (Laguna Seca, Maple Valley), have the same lighting conditions they did in FM2, which only makes the sense of deja vu that much more pronounced.

I have to say though, at least with Maple Valley, that's got one of my favorite lighting setups in like any racing game I've played. I love that orangey glow....

Psychotext said:
Ha... that's spooky timing. Just had another (hopefully working) copy turn up.
Awesome, now you get to experiance like 50% more of the game :lol

Maybe I should start a blog about xbox and earn myself a copy of forza 4 :lol (all you early guys are lucky SOBs!)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Fender_Uk said:
i know, it must be a lie

this is the best thing i did, took me a long time too lol

rustbucket2.jpg

rustbucket.jpg
Wow...that is really, really awesome!

saladine1

Hmmm...I wonder where Che has gone?
I'd like to get his thoughts on the glowing tributes that FM3 has received so far...

We all scared him away with the photomode complaints and auto-rev in drag. But yea I figured he would start posting again since all that has kinda subsided. He at least needs to marvel at the OP.

Haunted

I like how the leaderboards will already be dominated by times that are waaaay out of my reach before I even get my hands on the game (official day 1). :lol

pr0cs

Haunted said:
I like how the leaderboards will already be dominated by times that are waaaay out of my reach before I even get my hands on the game (official day 1). :lol
More fun to race your times against your friends anyway.

Falagard

pr0cs said:
More fun to race your times against your friends anyway.

Yeah, but in the demo at least, none of my friend's ghosts are available. What's up with that? It must just store the top 1% or something?

p3tran

Banned
saladine1 said:
I'd like to get his thoughts on the glowing tributes that FM3 has received so far...
t10 is not on vacation yet. I guess he is probably busy as hell

Haunted said:
no man.. you can do it! once you get in touch with core of the game, sky's the limit 8)

Falagard said:
Yeah, but in the demo at least, none of my friend's ghosts are available. What's up with that? It must just store the top 1% or something?
you can create a closed room in forza2 and race with your friends as ghosts for laptiming.
thats a lot of fun, and it is exactly in the style of play you are discussing here, only real-time and more friends :D
I am certain that in F3 it is even improved.

bj00rn_

Banned
Jtyettis said:
Aye, kind of disagree with the environmental detail comment and of course they compare it to Dirt 2 which is 30fps (granted they mention the reasoning with the 60fps), but other than that the Eurogamer review is spot on

Yeah the comment about the detail in the environment a bit bizarre considering the game arguably has some of the most detailed environments of any sim out there. But ok, who cares, the review was great.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Diablohead said:
Nothing is making me give up that £39.99 LE, nothing I say!

Delays suck but I can wait, got plenty to play and Aion to get back into once my new PSU arrived by royal mail this week :lol
Well, Blockbuster (Actual stores) want to charge £45 for the LE, but will let me buy the game midnight on the 22nd, and will give me £5 of rental vouchers.

That, combined with this strike, might make me cancel my order, even if it is £5 cheaper, and make sure I am playing as soon as the 23rd hits.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
That Eurogamer review is magnificent... I need to get a 360 wheel at least to fully experience FM3 in all it's glory.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
saladine1 said:

I was in San Francisco for a wedding and took a little break.

This is literally the first time I've been on GAF in days. Going to try and get caught up today!

How the hell does anyone drive a TVR Speed 12 in real life without dying in a horrible fireball? I just can't get the power down.

bran

Psychotext said:
How the hell does anyone drive a TVR Speed 12 in real life without dying in a horrible fireball? I just can't get the power down.

That's a TVR feature, not a bug.

Stop It

Psychotext said:
It's a TVR, and their most powerful one at that (And it never came out of the concept car stages), you cannot expect to be able to drive it other than into a wall.

I remember using it in PGR2, and thinking, "this isn't right, I can drive this!"

Yeah, the Speed 12 is an absolute beast of a car, and a completely undriveable one at that. Completely and unnecessarily excessive power, minimal weight, and absolutely no refinement of any kind whatsoever. I love it. :D

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
So has there been a list with all the official tracks in the game? The game is claiming 100 tracks was it?

The OP has only these listed:
official_threadgaf_09.jpg

Gametrailers reviews said that there are 22 locations for all the tracks.

So anyone break them all down?

I'm re-playing Forza 2 right now & the lack of track variety is pretty depressing. I only counted 25 (mostly real world) total tracks including the test track from the time trials list. A big downgrade from Forza 1's track selection which had more tracks & a lot more variation between them. The forest Hill climbs, more city tracks like Brazil, Tokyo etc... How's it all in Forza 3 now?

Regarding the TVR comments. I managed to get it around a couple of laps... but found I couldn't go much more than half in on the triggers, so as to avoid disaster. :lol

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
BCD2 said:
That Eurogamer review is one of the better game reviews I've read. Hats off to them.

Those Brits can write. Eurogamer reviews are always a pleasure to read, even if I don't agree with their assessment.

Lucius86

Banned
DodgerSan said:
Typical.

But seeing as the various retail outlets likely have the game sitting in warehouses right now, or very soon if not, they can plan and get it posted a day or two early to miss the strike...

Chances of the above actually happening - 3.4%

:(

We can only hope.

FFS - bloody Royal Mail!!! Don't go on strike!!! Or go on strike after we all get Forza 3!

Stop It

Lucius86 said:
We can only hope.

FFS - bloody Royal Mail!!! Don't go on strike!!! Or go on strike after we all get Forza 3!
We're boned, I am on the verge of cancelling my online order for the game, even if it is cheaper I can't go without because the posties are striking.
Psychotext said:
Regarding the TVR comments. I managed to get it around a couple of laps... but found I couldn't go much more than half in on the triggers, so as to avoid disaster. :lol
Heh, it could have been a great car, but TVR were screwed repeatedly during the cars development, that and they didn't have the budget to produce a McLaren level hypercar.
chespace said:
Those Brits can write. Eurogamer reviews are always a pleasure to read, even if I don't agree with their assessment.
I like Eurogamer, but I am biased towards UK publications.

Sysgen

FTWer said:
So has there been a list with all the official tracks in the game? The game is claiming 100 tracks was it?

Gametrailers reviews said that there are 22 locations for all the tracks.

So anyone break them all down?

I'm re-playing Forza 2 right now & the lack of track variety is pretty depressing. I only counted 25 (mostly real world) total tracks including the test track from the time trials list. A big downgrade from Forza 1's track selection which had more tracks & a lot more variation between them. The forest Hill climbs, more city tracks like Brazil, Tokyo etc... How's it all in Forza 3 now?

Out of the 22 locations I count 7 new environments that have not appeared in a Forza game.

- Amalfi
- Benchmark Ring
- Catalunya
- LeMans
- Monserrat
- Sedona Raceway Park
- Montegi

Out of the 22 locations I count 8 that have are appearing for the 3rd time.

- Maple Valley
- New York
- Nurburgring
- Road America
- Silverstone
- Sunset Penisula
- Tsukuba

Lucius86

Banned
Stop It said:
We're boned, I am on the verge of cancelling my online order for the game, even if it is cheaper I can't go without because the posties are striking.

If the posties ARE striking, then I will cancel my order from Blockbuster and look on the high street for the cheapest LE. But until then, I'm going to hold the faith...

Stop It

Lucius86 said:
If the posties ARE striking, then I will cancel my order from Blockbuster and look on the high street for the cheapest LE. But until then, I'm going to hold the faith...
As I posted earlier, Blockbuster are charging £45 (with £5 of game rentals free) for the LE in-store. I haven't hit the button yet, but the BBC interviews with the unions didn't sound very positive.

Gowans

Lucius86 said:
I'm tempted to keep the £40 le n get the game from gamestation on release if they don't send them early to beat the strike.

Fully take advatage of their 10day returns policy.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Even if they aren't striking, there is still a huge backlog of mail and I doubt anywhere will post it before Wednesday.

ShopTo are offering guaranteed next day delivery with UKMail for just £2 extra. May even get it Thursday...

Top Bottom