• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Four seconds of new Quantum Break footage

I have no hope for this game, after Remedy hyped me to the heavens with Alan Wake, only to dash my dreams with a mediocre experience. I would love to be proven wrong though; maybe it will end up being the game that makes me buy an XBone, seeing as Gears seems to be all but dead right now.

VaizardNL

Banned
I have no hope for this game, after Remedy hyped me to the heavens with Alan Wake, only to dash my dreams with a mediocre experience. I would love to be proven wrong though; maybe it will end up being the game that makes me buy an XBone, seeing as Gears seems to be all but dead right now.

Guess it all depends on the expectations you have. I completely loved Alan Wake and I just wanted to keep playing it.

Not enough is known about this game yet, but if this does turn out to be in-game, then I'm sold (graphically, don't know anything about gameplay/story). But they also kept saying about Ryse that the 'cinematics' were in-game till release, which turned out to be not the case. I dislike being lied to as if we/consumers are dumb.

I did not know this, good info.

I was looking at more MaxFX stuff, and this video shows a nice evolution of Remedy's engine that pre dates the first Max Payne:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovBUb_Yr_iw

3DMark 99. 2000, 2001 and 2001se all used Remedy's game engine. 3DMark 99 shows an early pre 1.0 version of their game engine... 3DMark 2000 is using MaxFX 1.0. I think. 2001se showcases a post 1.0 version of the engine with early Havok physics implementation that carried over to Max Payne 2. Amazing how far they have come, though the nature scenes in 3DMark 2001se still looks pretty nice, Alan Wake like.

3DMark 2003 and onward uses Futuremark's own proprietary engine.

Watching gamersyde footage definitely looks in-game, and I am used to the visuals a bit more. Looks excellent, especially textures (typical remedy) but in keeping with other stuff that is coming down the road. Gameplay bit was blurry though, knowing remedy they might not hit 1080 with this one. Hope they do, but the game is looking stunning either way.

Yeah I'm in the same boat as you. I liked Alan Wake but it wasn't near as good as it could have been.

Only Remedy can make 4 seconds seem like an eternity of greatness. Still sad we have to wait longer on AW2 but Quantum Break looks like it can be something else and I'm pretty hyped.

And I laugh at you AW haters, such a great game.

SystemBug

how can anybody hate Remedy?

attachment.php

like seriously?

Sentenza

Woah, that looks fantastic.
Not particularly, for me, but then again it's Remedy, they traditionally *know* how to handle third person shooters, so I think there are good reasons to expect a solid product.
Too bad for the Xbox exclusivity, because I'm not really interested in purchasing a console right now and even if I was, XB1 wouldn't be my pick for sure.

I guess I'll have to wait for an eventual PC version few years from now.

EGM1966

Remedy is still too independent from Microsoft to fall under that category. Microsoft did have a timed exclusive with Alan Wake, but Remedy owns the franchise and released it on PC independently from MS.

I'm not actually sure if Remedy owns Quantum Break though, Microsoft might own the rights to this one. The game looks amazing , definitely one of the best looking titles in the first wave of Xbox One software.

Alan Wake used the MaxFX 3.0 engine, the first two versions of this engine were used in Max Payne 1 and 2. The gun play and camera system in Alan Wake were very identical to the Max Payne series. This is using an engine called Northlight, which I think was built from the ground up as their next generation engine.

Not saying its the same just the look/feel seems the same but for this gen. I see Remedy as having seriously over-promised and under-delivered with Alan Wake so I'm pretty cautious about getting excited about some sizzle stuff - that means squat next to whether they really deliver something great or not.

They did give us Max Payne but personally I felt they botched PS3/360 era and I'd rather know for sure they will be on PC too as I have no plans for XB1 at this point so if they're wedding themselves to the hip with MS again then they're probably off my radar for the foreseeable future.

synce

I've yet to try Alan Wake, this one looks a little more interesting but I'll pass unless it comes to PC

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
so excited! one of the reasons i went with x1 and it (continues to) looks stunning

I see Remedy as having seriously over-promised and under-delivered with Alan Wake so I'm pretty cautious about getting excited about some sizzle stuff - that means squat next to whether they really deliver something great or not.

yeah development wasn't too kind to Alan Wake. I liked the game, but I also felt that it wasn't exactly what they promised either. The original designs for Alan Wake showed that the game was going to be a lot more like Silent Hill, with an entire town to explore in. But direction changed at some point and the game ended up being a much more linear Max Payne like adventure. I'm not really sure if the shift to the Xbox 360 caused technical problems, or they they just couldn't get the play mechanics worked out in an open world.

But I still enjoyed it in the end, I didn't buy the game on the 360 and picked it up on PC instead, which in my opinion was a better choice in the end. The game looked great at 1920x1200 with all settings maxed out. But I was expecting a little more too.

I like what I see visually from this one, but I'm waiting to see some direct gameplay footage myself, before I can comment more on it.

Looks great, game is just ahead of Halo as my most antcipated game for XB1.

I'm already feeling the temptation to break down and watch the VGX for the gameplay instead of going dark...

op_ivy

yeah development wasn't too kind to Alan Wake. I liked the game, but I also felt that it wasn't exactly what they promised. The original designs for Alan Wake showed that the game was going to be a lot more like Silent Hill, with an entire town to explore in. But direction changed at some point and the game ended up being a much more linear Max Payne like adventure. I'm not really sure if the shift to the Xbox 360 caused technical problems, or they they just couldn't get the play mechanics worked out in an open world.

I still enjoyed it in the end, I didn't buy the game on the 360 and picked it up on PC instead, which in my opinion was a better choice in the end. The game looked great at 1920x1200 with all settings maxed out. But I was expecting a little more too.

I like what I see visually from this one, but I'm waiting to see some direct gameplay footage myself, before I can comment more on it.

i for one am so glad they changed direction from the original plan of open world. open world games, for me mind you, are usually very dull experiences with no pace to them. its very easy to get side tracked and lose the immersiveness of the story. alan wake still kept aspects of the open world but linearized it. i felt like they pretty much nailed it. it had a lot of the exploration of an open world but without the freedom to go way off tangent and break the flow of the game.

AW was my first remedy game - i've never played any max payne game - and remedy with tthat alone has shot straight to the top of my most beloved developers. quantum break should amaze (me)

but how many p's?

I'm sure it will be 1080p, 30fps. Forza showed that it is possible when the game is optimized enough, it's just not as easy to get there as with the PS4.

This game is pretty big on the Xbone lineup. I'm sure it will deliver in the tech department.

op_ivy

I'm sure it will be 1080p, 30fps. Forza showed that it is possible when the game is optimized enough, it's just not as easy to get there as with the PS4.

This game is pretty big on the Xbone lineup. I'm sure it will deliver in the tech department.

it was tongue in cheek, but honestly it looks so good i'm expecting sub 1080p.

Watching gamersyde footage definitely looks in-game, and I am used to the visuals a bit more. Looks excellent, especially textures (typical remedy) but in keeping with other stuff that is coming down the road. Gameplay bit was blurry though, knowing remedy they might not hit 1080 with this one. Hope they do, but the game is looking stunning either way.
Nah there is no way QB will be native 1080p, have good AA and a solid framerate. If not even Crytek can do it, no one can in the foreseeable future. The experts here have already determined that the eSRAM limits things too much, so Forza only achieves it by having baked lighting, no AA and using forward rendering, while QB probably uses deferred rendering. It will be 900p at best, maybe 720p.

But it will still look great, which is all that matters at the end of the day. Hope people don't expect too much based of the E3 footage.

Nah there is no way QB will be native 1080p, have good AA and a solid framerate. If not even Crytek can do it, no one can in the foreseeable future. The experts here have already determined that the eSRAM limits things too much, so Forza only achieves it by having baked lighting, no AA and using forward rendering, while QB probably uses deferred rendering. It will be 900p at best, maybe 720p.

But it will still look great, which is all that matters at the end of the day. Hope people don't expect too much based of the E3 footage.

Yeah, it might be a similar situation as with AW, but I hope they reach 900p at least. I played AW on PC maxed at 1080, and it obviously made a huge difference compared to how it looked on 360 since that was sub HD.

<3 Remedy 4-eva. Hope this hits PC sooner than AW did, I won't be getting a Bone until a couple price drops.

The important question: Featuring songs by Poets of the Fall?

Derrick01

Banned

Alan Wake would have definitely been better if they executed their original vision for it. It would have forced them to add some more depth to the gameplay and enemy variety. But that's a big what if scenario, as it is I'm like you I have 0 hype for this until they can prove they've improved after AW.

iA0WWTiuZFHP1.png

ibvkQI9WDEGka6.png

i3NjXtUxCoBXZ.png

Nothing seems to be downgraded since e3. Although they might be using the same footage.

iYzp0ns3PLU1i.png

image_quantum_break-22372-2722_0002.jpg

Seems to be native 1080p based on the screencaps so here's hoping, but i doubt it.

Top Bottom