• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

France: Four shot dead outside Jewish school in Toulouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alx

But what a fuckup. The whole operation looks like it was handled rather terribly.

Most of it looked like it was handled well, until the conclusion : the guy was cornered, the building evacuated, the area secured, ... it could have gone smoothly.
The question will be how they could have anticipated him hiding and opening fire on them. Maybe they should have waited longer to exhaust him. Maybe they should have gone immediately to limit his preparation. It's hard decisions to make.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
He was hiding in the bathroom, and opened fire on the raid forces after they had entered the appartement from the door and window.

He was hiding in the bathroom and started shooting with extreme violence once the police tried to see if he was in that room (with remote video devices), Interior minister said.

Merah then jumped out the window, holding a weapon and he was found dead on the ground.

One cop injured in the foot, another one is pretty shocked.

One guy from RAID said he had never seen so many shots fired from a suspect during an assault.

Cromat

They should have considered bulldozering his house on him... It's an effective strategy when a person is ambushing raiding forces in his own house.

Forsete

Gold Member
Sucks that he got his wish "Die by the sword".

Good thing, he wont burden the French taxpayers anymore.
Oh and that is a very punchable face.

Kinyou

CNN says that he still fired the gun while jumping out the window. I wonder if he accidentally shot himself during the fall

He was hiding in the bathroom and started shooting with extreme violence once the police tried to see if he was in that room (with remote video devices), Interior minister said.

Merah then jumped out the window, holding a weapon and he was found dead on the ground.

One cop injured in the foot, another one is pretty shocked.

One guy from RAID said he had never seen so many shots fired from a suspect during an assault.

What, he jump out of the window ?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'd be okay with them dragging his body through the street and allowing everyone to piss on it.

13:01 French Interior Minister Gueant tells reporters the decision taken to arrest the suspect was taken on Thursday morning. Stun grenades were thrown into apartment at 10.30 am, and there was no response. Police then entered the apartment, and introduced video cameras to inspect each room in the apartment. They could not detect any sign of the man. When the camera was introduced into the bathroom, Merah came out with submachine gun. A gunfight between police and suspect ensued. Suspect jumoped out of window shooting a gun and was found dead on the ground
(France 24)

CNN says that he still fired the gun while jumping out the window.
Claude Guéant (Interior minister) confirmed it. He didn't say anything about accidentally shooting himself though.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
He also said the RAID snipers did shoot too, along with the RAID forces inside.

I guess there are high chances that he was injured already when he jumped through the window.

The founder of GIGN said that Merah definitely planned an ambush against the police.

He added that it isn't so easy to drug a suspect if he won't eat or drink. Also, incapacitating gas would have been tricky to use since no one knew in which room Merah was hiding. He did say that it could have been effective given the size of the apartment.

Kinyou

I wonder if I should feel sorry for his family. Losing a son or a brother must suck for everyone, I suppose.
Yeah I don't think you can shut these feelings off, though he brought all of this on himself. And if he needs to be killed to be stopped from killing then so be it.

It amazes me how media keep calling Merah an anti-semite/anti jewish while he also killed 3 french soldiers who were from Maghrebic descent, like him...
Osama bin Laden often criticized other muslims (Saudi Arabia, Afghan president etc.) for serving to 'jews and crusaders'.

More From French Interior Minister Claude Gueant desribing this morning's raid: "He said he did not want to surrender and that if he was attacked he would kill police officers. So this morning the decision was taken to try and arrest him at 10.30am. Stun grenades were thrown into the flat and no reaction was witnessed. So commandos entered the flat through the door and through windows.
"We knew how dangerous the situation was so we introduced video cameras to inspect each room of the flat. At first we could not detect any sign of life until the bathroom. When we entered the bathroom he came out blazing away with a sub machine gun.
One experienced police commando said he had never seen anyone attack police so violently. Police took shelter whilst trying to continue firing at the suspect. He then jumped out of the window with a gun in his hand still firing. He was then found dead on the ground."
http://www.france24.com/en/20120322...ed-refuses-surrender-france-police?autoplay=1

He kept stalling them, saying he'd surrender "in a couple of hours". Probably just wanted the attention.

Ok.

It's a shame they couldn't take him alive. Once again we're forced to construct a story and accept media reports as opposed to getting the benefit of a trial and hearing the guy in his own words. Knowing the media the way I do, I find it hard to accept everything at face value, but that's what we're once again forced to do.

300 police officers (so the papers say here) could not smoke out one guy from an apartment.

Real question: are Riot Shields not enough defense from submachine gun fire?

Feature

Banned
just throw a grenade in every room?

Why would you want to try and take him alive, you should know that he would not go down easy...just waste the rat instead of getting a good guy killed.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
just throw a grenade in every room?

Why would you want to try and take him alive, you should know that he would not go down easy...just waste the rat instead of getting a good guy killed.

Jesus.

What about investigating how and where did he get those arms? Submachine guns are not freely available in France. Also, apparently he was trained in Afghanistan, which means he could have some useful contacts.

300 police officers (so the papers say here) could not smoke out one guy from an apartment.

Real question: are Riot Shields not enough defense from submachine gun fire?
Would you face an assault rifle with a riot shield, just to test it? I sure as hell would not try. This is real life, not Call of Duty.

Would you face an assault rifle with a riot shield, just to test it? I sure as hell would not try. This is real life, not Call of Duty.

You do not need a person behind the shield to test it... Do you think they try out the safety of cars during crashes with real humans driving them?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Ok.

It's a shame they couldn't take him alive. Once again we're forced to construct a story and accept media reports as opposed to getting the benefit of a trial and hearing the guy in his own words. Knowing the media the way I do, I find it hard to accept everything at face value, but that's what we're once again forced to do.

Yeah, the cops totally shot each other to cover up what was really going on and the newspapers agreed to it.

SmokyDave

Ok.

Which bits are you struggling to accept at face value?

Why wouldn't they use sleeping gas like the Russians did in the Nord-Ost theater?
Chances of him dying: ~50%, chances of policemen dying: 0%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom