• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frank Ocean's "Channel ORANGE" 7.17.2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkNtity

If you're a 80's baby who happens to be black thus grew up on R&B (high cultural propensity) and also lucked into being sexually fluid, this thing just resonates on all fronts. It's sonically an intoxicating high and inherently so damn relatable. It's my headspace without shifting spectrums aside. The product is an automatic in D and I give gas. Personal music gem for me. A new feel indeed.

Oh yea, Thinking Of You = Lost > Pink Matter = Forrest Gump = Super Rich Kids = Pyramids > Pilot Jones = Sierra Leone = Bad Religion > dem last 3.

Hieberrr

So, the album is.. well it's not bad, but it's also not great. I'm not a fan of his voice, because I don't feel like his voice or style of singing suits the types of songs that he makes. I'll give it another go before I pass any further judgement.

BlueSteel

If you're a 80's baby who happens to be black thus grew up on R&B (high cultural propensity) and also lucked into being sexually fluid, this thing just resonates on all fronts. It's sonically an intoxicating high and inherently so damn relatable. It's my headspace without shifting spectrums aside. The product is an automatic in D and I give gas. Personal music gem for me. A new feel indeed.

Oh yea, Thinking Of You = Lost > Pink Matter = Forrest Gump = Super Rich Kids = Pyramids > Pilot Jones = Sierra Leone = Bad Religion > dem last 3.

I'd shuffle your rankings around a bit. Mostly bad religion into second tier, but I agree for the most part.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Only thing that is second tier about this album is the gap between the end and the beginning when playing it on repeat.

JABEE

"Sweet Life" and "Super Rich Kids" are the best songs on the album. Did he sample the studio noise from Marvin Gaye's "Got to Give it Up" in the song "Super Rich Kids?"

overcast

Pyramids is an absolutely terrific track. Overall, this is a very good album. Definitely not a 9+ album. I believe Nostalgia is better, this album may be a grower though. Frank is a great song writer, sometimes it seems his music can be just a little boring, although I don't mean that as negative as it may sound.

I will listen to it a few more times this week.

Thought it was just very good to start with. But it's really growing on me, as Nostalgia/ULTRA did. Ocean is foremost a great songwriter; maybe one of the best of his generation. And his albums work perfectly as a slow burn, sneaking up on you in how much the material resonates. I don't know what my favourite track is - Pyramids, Pink Matter, Lost, Bad Religion, Super Rich Kids, Thinking of You, Sweet Life - but how the fuck do you separate it? In today's industry, that's a serious accomplishment.

omgkitty

Yea, mine actually shipped two days ago (and it's out for delivery for me atm). Same for Wenis IIRC. If you have Prime and pre-ordered you're probably getting it today.

Damn! Wish I had ordered it earlier. I'm sick of the interference I'm getting while using my iPod transmitter in the car.

Not sexually but emotionally it's clearly Forrest Gump and Bad Religion. Though I think Forrest Gump is just in Jenny's perspective or something.

edit: dat drop in Pyramids, whip music.

really? i swear i was reading a newspaper column the other day that mentioned it. i'm not talking shit or anything, i'm genuinely curious.

His stuff is pretty inclusive and universal when it comes to the romance thing. It's there, of course, but this album transcends what the cheap tabloid hacks would like to unearth.

coldvein

Banned
His stuff is pretty inclusive and universal when it comes to the romance thing. It's there, of course, but this album transcends what the cheap tabloid hacks would like to unearth.

yeah, i just found the column i was reading. it didn't refer to a specific song..it was just talking about how gangster it is that frank ocean is openly bisexual.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Not sexually but emotionally it's clearly Forrest Gump and Bad Religion. Though I think Forrest Gump is just in Jenny's perspective or something.

edit: dat drop in Pyramids, whip music.

Shit goes in.

Also,
Cotton candy, Majin Buu

Jitters

Too soon to tell if I like it as much as Nostalgia, Ultra ,but it is really solid. I love hearing some of those lyrics sung so soulfully. Despite the length ,Pyramids is a great track.

Red_Man

The album just flows so well, every time it ends, it catches me off guard. It feels like no time has passed.

Just bought this album earlier today and listened to its entirety on the way home from work.

This album is amazingly smooth and just great to listen to overall. Definitely will check out his earlier stuff as I'm hooked for sure.

Bishman

a6666d27a471f1e32315a7db8bef8b3c.png

37e9b29003bc5c7ca6da6f2be67c10c3.png

94da47159e88447fa2a2a5154eb77460.png

cec9c51eb525723f448ee46ee77d6053.png

0f44da54a301680b523b006dd3415af9.png

7fa611fefe91d50132e67f0845ae923c.png

16787f47099e646730c86be5a39cb921.png

62461d3a6af00c4d91c5c8f681618aa7.png

woolley

I love "Pilot Jones". I didn't really care for it with my first listen through but now I can't get enough of it, it's so simple but sounds so good.

Red_Man

I love "Pilot Jones". I didn't really care for it with my first listen through but now I can't get enough of it, it's so simple but sounds so good.
One of my favourites, and I'll echo what others have already said, "Fertilizer" needs to be made into a full track, it's great.

ant1532

Banned
this album is fucking perfect. pilot jones, crack rock, and pyramids my god.

and then he connects to the nerd in neogaf with ps1, sf, and majin buu references. my god.

Archurro

Shit, I've had this album on repeat since I got it yesterday. A lot better than Nostalga, which I found ok, but this is on a whole different level. Every track is near damn perfect

Odrion

Banned
Forest Gump is such a cute little song. I love it so much.

Great album, but MAN. Pyramids and onward is so good, that I get a little impatient when I listen to the whole thing from the beginning.

edit: Actually yeah, I think there might be way too many little "snippit" songs or skits before Pyramids. And "Super Rich Kids" is a song that lasts way, way too long. I could kill for Super Rich Kids to be two minutes shorter and Fertilizer or Pilot Jones to be two minutes longer.

But still, it's as classic as a modern classic can get.

Rookje

Been on repeat all weekend... I haven't found an album in a long time that I can just let it go through the track list and not want to skip anything.

The only song I don't really jam to is Sierra Leone. Bad Religion I can certainly appreciate, but its just not something I'd listen to on repeat.

Lost is my fav, but lately I've been listening to Forest Gump a lot.

Oh, and it got a 4/5 on Rolling Stones. Not bad.

Red_Man

I have Bad Religion on repeat, it's perfect. Only song I'm not really feeling is Crack Rock, I just can't get into it =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom