• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents The Life of Pablo |OT| WE ON AN ULTRA LIGHT BEAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabba

Trying to listen to Yeezus, but i dont feel it and i have never felt it. Some great tracks, but the sounds are more tiresome to listen too then his other albums and there are some shit tracks here like "I am a God", "Send it Up" and "Bound 2"

Trying to listen to Yeezus, but i dont feel it and i have never felt it. Some great tracks, but the sounds are more tiresome to listen too then his other albums and there are some shit tracks here like "I am a God", "Send it Up" and "Bound 2"

I like "I am a God". :(

"Bound 2" is probably the most overrated song on the album, and "Send It Up" is kinda average to me.

Catvoca

Banned
Say what you will about the All Day CDQ, it's still catchy asf. I've had it stuck in my head since watching that video hours ago.

ant1532

Banned
So I finally got around to watching Fantano's review for TLOP, what were people's thoughts on it?

I have to say, while I love the album, I actually agree with most of what he says. He makes really good points/arguments and it's hard to disagree with it. Sure he is a bit more down on some of the songs but he has valid reasons to not like it.

The only part of his review I didn't like was maybe the last 3-5 minutes when he went more into Kanye's character instead of the music. Overall though, solid review.

It was a good review, although at the same time pretty predictable. And yeah I too disagree with him just saying "it's a mess." I'm not saying it's a beautiful mess though, I actually think its neither. I just think it works. Also when he pointed out the hypocrisy on the "money doesn't make me" lines on freestyle 4. I disagree with that. Like for him, death grips can say that and anthony would eat it up, yet they charge for there albums and tickets. Money is important thing, you can still have opposing feelings on it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Not feeling I Feel Like That really. Wasn't then, am not now.

Can someone leak Popular now? I'll take Can U Be as a consolation.

Say what you will about the All Day CDQ, it's still catchy asf. I've had it stuck in my head since watching that video hours ago.
Yeah All Day goes as hard as ever. Just quotable after quotable, Ye swagging out.

THIS YE N***A
SHOPPING FOR THE WINTER AND IT'S JUST MAY N***GA

YOU A RICO SUAVE N****A
RIDE AROUND LISTENING TO SADE N***A

Maybe Ye needs to give All Day to Charlie Heat?

Mistle

Hell yeah, I've been wanting IFLT and that cool video in proper quality for ages. Can't believe it was just sitting there all along

//ARCANUM

can someone PM me a link or share with me the video y'all have been talking about? looks like it got pulled :/

edit - all good! thanks! :)

NotLiquid

In regards to Fantano's review I was honestly kind of surprised by the score he ended up giving it considering he sounded much more abrasive about the record in contrast to Yeezus. I actually think his review of Yeezus is arguably one of, if not his best review (other than To Pimp A Butterfly) since it's a really layered critique on the album and why it's so divisive. In contrast to he seemed to be a little less constructive and/or patient with this album although maybe that's just on account of me overlooking the fact that he was actually a lot more positive about this album's highlights (citing Ultra Light Beam and Real Friends as amazing, being positive about Famous and admitting that he's completely turned his opinion around in regards to Facts). I haven't even heard the album yet but I can get why he'd be frustrated about the album itself being messy, while not finding much of a thematic through-line like his other albums had. Overall though I'd say it was a fair review.

I feel it's fair to conclude I Am A God as the best track Kanye has on Yeezus while it's just as equally fair to say it's the worst. It's the culmination of his entire ego trip and sonical insanity.

Not feeling the hate for Bound 2 though.

Wabba

Pretty funny that he use the same drum beat on Famous and on Real Friends. Its so good, so why would he not use it twice.

Mistle

The All Day/IFLK video (and IFLK as a song) is my favourite bit of Kanye media from this whole album cycle... and it wasn't even officially released.

PBY

Banned
THIS ROLLOUT

One notable absence from the chart is Kanye West’s latest album, “The Life of Pablo,” which was released a week ago through an exclusive deal with the streaming service Tidal. Silvio Pietroluongo, Billboard’s vice president of charts and data development, said in a statement: “Billboard has been informed that Tidal is not currently reporting streams for tracks on Kanye’s album to Nielsen Music. Therefore streams from Tidal for this title will not contribute to Billboard’s chart rankings at this time.”
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2...but-kanye-wests-album-doesnt-make-chart/?_r=0

le.phat

Listening to the album for almost a week, i can't deny that the highs are damn high. But goddammit if this review doesn't hit the nail on the head for me:

'Ultralight Beam' sets the pattern: thereafter, West is consistently the weak link. '

If only this man could set his ego aside and use his producing talents to help other, truly great rappers to reach new heights. I love the sounds, even if they're just pockets of great and not-so-great moments, but everything goes to shit the minute Kanye opens his goddamn face.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
THIS ROLLOUT

One notable absence from the chart is Kanye West’s latest album, “The Life of Pablo,” which was released a week ago through an exclusive deal with the streaming service Tidal. Silvio Pietroluongo, Billboard’s vice president of charts and data development, said in a statement: “Billboard has been informed that Tidal is not currently reporting streams for tracks on Kanye’s album to Nielsen Music. Therefore streams from Tidal for this title will not contribute to Billboard’s chart rankings at this time.”
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2...but-kanye-wests-album-doesnt-make-chart/?_r=0

Ye. Fam. Quit playing.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ye basically had an assignment due, went into ultra crunch mode, then found out he didn't have to turn it in until the end of the semester because the professor royally fucked up.

After reading those descriptions of the TLOP sessions, I would take a damn break too and refocus. I thought the MBDTF sessions were grueling, but at least those had like mandatory work out time and group lunches and shit. Ye outchea taking 15 minute powernaps inbetween hours straight of work.

Champagne

Banned
Ye basically had an assignment due, went into ultra crunch mode, then found out he didn't have to turn it in until the end of the semester because the professor royally fucked up.

After reading those descriptions of the TLOP sessions, I would take a damn break too and refocus. I thought the MBDTF sessions were grueling, but at least those had like mandatory work out time and group lunches and shit. Ye outchea taking 15 minute powernaps inbetween hours straight of work.
Link to the descriptions?

solarus

I feel like that in higher quality was everything i ever wanted, had been listening to the crappy recording since it came out. Love that song and i personally find it really relatable.
This is the first ye album i've ever re ordered and changed and honstly I enjoy it more this way.
Took off waves, put I feel like that in before fml, put in the original wolves cdq with frank outro, removed no more parties in la and put 30 hours as the last track. Also removed low lights because on repeat listens it drags too much imo.
Perfect.

nib95

Banned

Pretty interesting read. Agree and disagree with a lot of it. But that guy who dislikes Waves though. Wat. I agree that it does feel less emotive in a way than the other tracks. I personally said it felt a bit more radio esque and pop like compared to the rest, and less layered in it's structure and production, having said that, it's still a really enjoyable listen.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Pretty interesting read. Agree and disagree with a lot of it. But that guy who dislikes Waves though. Wat. I agree that it does feel less emotive in a way than the other tracks. I personally said it felt a bit more radio esque and pop like compared to the rest, and less layered in it's structure and production, having said that, it's still a really enjoyable listen.

Yea it was interesting to hear from other musicians. I can't co-sign most of what I read. Wishing autotune was never invented? Nah b. Waves trash? Please.. I love Kanye a cop out? What?!

Regarding the album non release and not charting at all I think that in a few years we'll get to hear Ye explain how the rollout of this album is a big regret for him. It could have been so HUGE.. Now though the hype is dying down and if it ever does get a release it's not going to have the same impact it could have.

This cover is awesome, gonna use this one.

Also saw this one
video_image-458885.jpg

Septic360

Banned
Listening to the album for almost a week, i can't deny that the highs are damn high. But goddammit if this review doesn't hit the nail on the head for me:

'Ultralight Beam' sets the pattern: thereafter, West is consistently the weak link. '

If only this man could set his ego aside and use his producing talents to help other, truly great rappers to reach new heights. I love the sounds, even if they're just pockets of great and not-so-great moments, but everything goes to shit the minute Kanye opens his goddamn face.

Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom