• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time listening to the album, managed to skip the clean version. Listening to Monster now.

Impressions so far:

Dark Fantasy - Fire
Gorgeous - I feel like it needed a harder beat for Kanye, but it accommodated Raekwon pretty well so I dunno. Good track
POWER - Fire
All of the Lights - Good, I wasn't feeling it that much tbh. Who was that chick that ruined the end?

This is gonna be the album to bump in the car. The others are gonna be relegated to the iPod, they go nowhere as hard as this.

kamspy

After a couple days of listening I love every second of it. Disregard anything else I posted about the matter.

Also, I'm 99% sure So Appalled is just a little bit faster on the album. Great mastering on the other Good Friday songs though. They all cleaned up really well.

Can't wait for the disc.

hubes

toasty_T said:
First time listening to the album, managed to skip the clean version. Listening to Monster now.

Impressions so far:

Dark Fantasy - Fire
Gorgeous - I feel like it needed a harder beat for Kanye, but it accommodated Raekwon pretty well so I dunno. Good track
POWER - Fire
All of the Lights - Good, I wasn't feeling it that much tbh. Who was that chick that ruined the end?

This is gonna be the album to bump in the car. The others are gonna be relegated to the iPod, they go nowhere as hard as this.
if you have subs in your car definitely listen to monster, it's crazy.

MMaRsu

Banned
toasty_T said:

Impressions so far:

Dark Fantasy - Fire
POWER - Fire

Fergie *puke*

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Mayyhem said:
Oh My God explicit version definitely shits on the clean one.

SO good
Yeah, how come I already knew Kanye was saying "No more drugs for me, pussy and religion is all I need?" even in the clean version? :lol

Just finished Monster right now, love the album so far and only hate Fergie and Nikki Minaj's inclusions(no surprise to me at all, since I just hate them in general).

GremlinFool said:
This is Kanye's best album by far. You guys are crazy

by far? No way. College Dropout is a classic and Late Registration has more songs I adore. MBDTF is definitely tighter and grows on me, but it just isn't all there.

Expendable. said:
by far? No way. College Dropout is a classic and Late Registration has more songs I adore. MBDTF is definitely tighter and grows on me, but it just isn't all there.
same. but it's growing on me quickly.

I don't know if it will eclipe College Dropout, as CD had social and cultural significance. it was truly an album for the people. addressing issues that touch the soul of everyone. Every album since then has had gradually less and less of that kind of content....though this one has more than Graduation (not saying much).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Expendable. said:
Tighter is a good way of putting it. Somehow, without the metric tons of skits that LR had, the album feels more honed. I'm loving this shit right now. And Friday Night Lights comes out in 3 and a half hours? I don't think I can handle this.

MBDTF is in serious contention with LR for me. It will never eclipse TCD for me, that album is cemented as a classic for me.

The Nikki hate is ridiculous. I'm listening to the dirty version, gotten to Monster and she has the best verse of the album by far. It's like a mixture of Slick Rick and Shock G.

Album is good so far. Definitely liked Raekwon's verse on Gorgeous

*while typing, So Appauled/Swizz Beats comes on* :(

HiResDes

PhoenixDark said:
The Nikki hate is ridiculous. I'm listening to the dirty version, gotten to Monster and she has the best verse of the album by far. It's like a mixture of Slick Rick and Shock G.

Best verse of the album? You're being absurd.

PhoenixDark said:

gonna put on a similar flame suit and partially agree. by far the best verse of that song.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
PhoenixDark said:

Not best verse on the song or album. Best on the song is Jay's I'd think, and album, probably Ye's on So Appalled. Something about the flow that's completely on another level.

PhoenixDark said:

I'm So Appalled.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Nicki has top verse on Monster (only because of the energy she put in it), but Rick Ross has the best verse on the album by far. Raekwon has it after Rozay, and then the rest. Rae and Ross's flow over Yeezy's beats are undeniable.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Good Album, Kanye. Probably my 5th favorite this year among all the albums that I've heard. Dirty version is dope.

PhoenixDark said:

So Appalled is the best production on that album next to Dark Fantasy and Blame Game.

But c'mon, Nikki having the best verse on the album? Nah, man. Not to mention she definitely didn't write that shit.

To finish my little critique

Monster - Crazy as ever. Still not keen on Nicki Minaj but at least she didn't have those stupid metaphors
So Appalled - Favorite GOOD Fridays track. I don't know where it sits in the album, probably near the top.
Devil In A New Dress - I was really enjoying it until Rick Ross' verse. Not that it was bad, I would have preferred if Kanye went solo.
Runaway - Great track, too damn long though. Maybe if it was the last track I'd be more likely to let it ride out but it's smack in the middle.
Hell of a Life - Another good track, at this point I felt Kanye was getting a little over indulgent with the beats. The song could have been cut off at 4 minutes easily with a bit of editing.
Blame Game - Good track again, Chris Rock should have been a separate interlude.
Lost In The World - Such a fun track I enjoyed this one a lot.
Who Will Survive In America - God damn it Kanye, I thought I was still listening to Lost In The World and I was all excited because I had one track left. The album feels like it ended pretty abruptly.

Overall, I think everything was solid with some standout tracks. Runaway could have used an extra verse or some shortening, that's my biggest gripe other than being dissatisfied with a few of the features which are pretty minor, really.

As far as rankings go

LR>MBDTF>CD>Graduation>808

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
HiResDes said:
One of the verses Kanye spits on Devil in a New Dress is sick, although people don't really like the song.
Yeah, Devil In a New Dress probably has the deepest and most cohesive verses. I grouped it with Runaway at first but after listening to it dirty a bit more, its good. I liked the short but sweet version so much better, though.

Runaway, damn, it's really way too long to digest. And I'm kinda sad that even though samples got in (which I thought were alright), the best one didn't get in:

NOW IM NOW IM NOW IM NOW IM GOING TO SHOW YOU ALL HOW YOU LOOK LIKE BEAUTIFUL STARS TONIGHT.

<3 Live Fast, Die Young.

Stat Flow said:
Good Album, Kanye. Probably my 5th favorite this year among all the albums that I've heard. Dirty version is dope.

So Appalled is the best production on that album next to Dark Fantasy and Blame Game.

But c'mon, Nikki having the best verse on the album? Nah, man. Not to mention she definitely didn't write that shit.
She wrote it, but Ye coached her over a period of 3 days to make it better. Much better than what it could've been, or was.

Stat Flow said:

So far no doubt; I'm on Runaway. I've never heard anything about Nikki having ghostwriters, although Cash Money does that type of shit. Kanye on the other hand...

Equus Bellator Apex said:
Devil in a New Dress went from my least favorite song to the one I have constantly on repeat

It hasn't 100% clicked with me yet, but Gorgeous is that song for me. I don't love the chorus, but something about Kanye's delivery is amazing.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
PhoenixDark said:
So far no doubt; I'm on Runaway. I've never heard anything about Nikki having ghostwriters, although Cash Money does that type of shit. Kanye on the other hand...
Didn't you go in on Kanye before about him still having ghostwriters or some nonsense of the sort? :lol

Someone posted way back "if we die in each others arms, still get laid in the afterlife, if we die in each others arms, still get laid, yeah - definately kanye writing this :p" :lol

enzo_gt said:
Didn't you go in on Kanye before about him still having ghostwriters or some nonsense of the sort? :lol

Someone posted way back "if we die in each others arms, still get laid in the afterlife, if we die in each others arms, still get laid, yeah - definately kanye writing this :p" :lol

I did, it's a fact :lol

I was just saying I don't know if Nikki has people write her shit, and Cash Money has been guilty of that before (Lil Wayne back in the day).

tralfazz

enzo_gt said:
Yeah, how come I already knew Kanye was saying "No more drugs for me, pussy and religion is all I need?" even in the clean version? :lol

It's the way I've been singing it for the last 2 days. Fav song by far on the album and it got better with the dirty version.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
PhoenixDark said:
I did, it's a fact :lol

I was just saying I don't know if Nikki has people write her shit, and Cash Money has been guilty of that before (Lil Wayne back in the day).

She jacked the fuck out of Wayne and Drake's flow, wouldn't be surprised if they wrote for her.

Then again it's not like those people are making great music by any stretch of the imagination.

Expendable. said:
Other than The Roots, what even comes close?

If Girl Talk comes out, that still counts :)

best hip hop, not best album (Joanna Newsom <3)

Outside of The Roots, definitely Kno's album Death is Silent and Big Boi's album

Recon

Banned
This month has been insane for music, Cudi, Kanye, and new J.Cole tonight....2010 has been a good year for hip-hop heads!

Swag

Ken Masters said:
How easily people forget about Big Boi's Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty

That album is good, but so many low points on it. Find myself urging to skip through lots of songs when I listen. Don't have those same urges with this at all, even with songs that I've heard 60+ times over the course of the past 3 months.

andymcc

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
That album is good, but so many low points on it. Find myself urging to skip through lots of songs when I listen. Don't have those same urges with this at all, even with songs that I've heard 60+ times over the course of the past 3 months.

i'm not going to disagree with that. there are two or three songs i don't really listen to on it either, this album may be better, i don't know yet. i will say, it's the first kanye west album in which i find myself reluctant to skip tracks on, whether that being a result of a weak song or an awful skit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom