• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frank Ocean's "Channel ORANGE" 7.17.2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

Such a fantastic album. Lost is far and away my favorite, but Thinkin Bout You and Pyramids are up there as well.

But really, the whole thing is so incredibly put together as a package, each track flows seamlessly into the next. I'm not a fan of the talky interludes in the first half of the album and I agree with echoes that Fertilizer should be a full length track. But fuck, this thing is just great as is.

RJT

Forrest Gump, Bad Religion and Pyramids are fucking amazing songs. The album grew on me this past week. After the first listen I thought Nostalgia Ultra was better than this album, now I think they're on about the same level. Both have amazing and totally forgettable songs.

Cudder

Forrest Gump, Bad Religion and Pyramids are fucking amazing songs. The album grew on me this past week. After the first listen I thought Nostalgia Ultra was better than this album, now I think they're on about the same level. Both have amazing and totally forgettable songs.

I think I have only listened to Monks once. Just wasn't feeling that song at all when I first heard it.

RJT

Perfect Tracklist (without paying attention to order):

1. "Novacane"
2. "Songs 4 Women"
3. "Swim Good"
4. "Dust"
5. "American Wedding"
6. "Thinkin Bout You"
7. "Sweet Life"
8. "Super Rich Kids" (featuring Earl Sweatshirt)
9. "Pyramids"
10. "Lost"
11. "Bad Religion"
12. "Pink Matter" (featuring André 3000)
13. "Forrest Gump"

Damn, what a masterpiece... I feel I'm forgetting one song in Nostalgia, though...

Regarding the order, I feel that it would be adequate to start with Songs 4 Women and end with Forrest Gump. Other than that, anything goes.

Kad5

This might be my favorite album this year so far.

I don't think I ever heard R&B like this before. It's really bass bumping' too!

Hot damn this is a great year for music.

This might be my favorite R&B album of all time no joke.

Wiz

This might be my favorite album this year so far.

I don't think I ever heard R&B like this before. It's really bass bumping' too!

Hot damn this is a great year for music.

This might be my favorite R&B album of all time no joke.

Definitely in my top 5 albums of the year. Amazing album.

And yeah it does bump in the whip!!

Listened to this on his website while I was playing D3 the other day...thought it was pretty good.

Coming out tomorrow so assuming it's on Spotify I'll be spending some of my working hours with it. Sweet! I know I'm supposed to be listening to it.

Crazyorloco

Well, I'm in for this based off the hype and reviews alone. I was waiting for it to show up on Spotify, but this is too good to pass up.
Yeah that's a great price. I was waiting to see how much it would be on google play...but I don't even see the album listed. Amazon mp3 wins.

Kad5

I talked to a friend who said he didn't like this album because he thought the production wasn't that good and because he didn't think Frank was a good singer. He thinks The Weeknd is better.

Opinions I suppose but to say that Frank can't sing?

Bladenic

Came to post the Amazon sale, but got beat lol. I been posting it everywhere else, so hopefully people get it.

Favorite tracks are Sweet Life, Lost, Monks, Forrest Gump, Bad Religion, and Pyramids. They're all great though. Except for Pilot Jones, does nothing for me.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I talked to a friend who said he didn't like this album because he thought the production wasn't that good and because he didn't think Frank was a good singer. He thinks The Weeknd is better.

Opinions I suppose but to say that Frank can't sang?

Weeknd makes some good music but this album has great production and Frank is a good singer.

So yeah. Not sure.

Kad5

Weeknd makes some good music but this album has great production and Frank is a good singer.

So yeah. Not sure.

Pretty much my thoughts.

I actually like Frank. He's honestly the only member of OF I really like. Earl isn't a bad rapper for his age but i'm not crazy about him personally.

And of course Tyler is mostly a good marketer.

MThanded

Pretty much my thoughts.

I actually like Frank. He's honestly the only member of OF I really like. Earl isn't a bad rapper for his age but i'm not crazy about him personally.

And of course Tyler is mostly a good marketer.
I agree with here. I think Earl has the potential to be big. Hes much better than Tyler.

Meier

Knew it was worth waiting for Amazon Mp3. :) The best music retailer (retailer in general) in the world. Legends.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i've long stated that Frank and Earl are the best members of OF by a WIDE margin.

Opinions I suppose but to say that Frank can't sing?

The Weeknd is more accessible, maybe? He's a better singer too - technically - but a far worse song writer. I mean look at his two follow up mix tapes : they show no progression or maturation. Meanwhile in one album off his mixtape Frank has managed to push the genre farther than it's been in decades.

MThanded

You can like both Weeknd and Frank Ocean. You can like only one, or neither as well. Opinions are cool like that.
Not feeling the album is one thing. You can even debate who is a better singer.

However, saying the production is bad and Frank can't sing is another.

HiiiLife

Never actually gave the Weekend a try, but I enjoyed both of Franks tapes. I might actually give the Weekends tapes a listen

IMO his first mixtape House of Balloons is the best. Followed by Echoes of Silence then the mixtape I like least, Thursday. Check out his cover of Dirty Diana and you'll get the gist of what he sounds like I guess. Lol.

TeegsD

Completely forgot this was coming out and for 3 bucks its an absolute no brainer to get this. My friend has gotten me into Odd Future and I'm hooked.

IMO his first mixtape House of Balloons is the best. Followed by Echoes of Silence then the mixtape I like least, Thursday. Check out his cover of Dirty Diana and you'll get the gist of what he sounds like I guess. Lol.
Will do, it's about time I educated myself on him lol

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
my nigga Frank gettin love on the Xbox dashboard!

House of Balloons is by far his best but his cover of Dirty Diana is mind blowingly good.

HiiiLife

House of Balloons is by far his best but his cover of Dirty Diana is mind blowingly good.

I agree. I just wish Weeknd and Frank would collab or something. Weeknds song "High For This" and Franks version of "Electric Feel" are my most played by them. Over a hundred plays. Easily.

I gave the live stream a listen. I generally don't really like modern R&B, but Frank Ocean is still a really talented dude. Great voice and great content, but still a little light in the ass for my liking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom