• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

Ugh...that's why i dont fuck with SOHH no more. shit like that i'd rather not know.

nothing wrong with earning a paycheck (dude deserves it), but there's gotta be a better way. shame jay couldn't do for him what say ye did for com, cause everytime i catch myself thinking Nas should branch out and do some shit like say acting, i remember his role in belly.

Nas can make a shit ton of money touring when he wants. Damn, a Nas/Mobb Deep/Alchemist tour would be insane, especially with P out of prison.

Tokubetsu

Not you too Phoenix Dark.
UbJab.gif

IrishNinja

you remember those thugged-out loony tunes shirts from the 90s, tokus? we're gonna have them by the winter, and pony-GAF will just be ahead of the curve.
and thugged out ponies will still be harder than Wiz.

while we're talking shit, i forgot to jot down that pair of headsets that kamspy said to grab for less than $50, if he or res/anyone who knows sees this, please post em back up for me.

Detox

Nas has been offered a 10 track album completly produced by Premier, and the whole Illmatic team is up to do another album as well. He has the chance to make a classic whichever of the top two he chooses.

I'm also worried about the need for money but they just repeated the Distant Relatives tour so he shouldn't be in too bad a position. I really hope Nas goes the independent route, I don't see him gaining new mainstream fans and if he goes on his own every Nas fan would still support him; which leaves more money for him. An Alex da Kid style song just doesn't go with Nas' flow at all and would be terrible.

Nevertheless I'm excited for his next album and hopefully the plans for lost tapes 2 being a second disk come true.

PhoenixDark said:
Nas can make a shit ton of money touring when he wants. Damn, a Nas/Mobb Deep/Alchemist tour would be insane, especially with P out of prison.

As much as I would love this, I would never want Nas to become like Slick Rick or Daddy kane where they just tour.

Tokubetsu

I refuse to buy another Nas album. He got me with Nastradamus when I was 10 and again with Untitled. Fool me twice Nasir! Queens Get The Money is the only track I go back to.

Agreed, Nas should go independent. Maybe have a distributing deal with a major, but that's it; seems like Raekwon might have had some problems sending his stuff to stores given how fast it disappeared off the charts.

If Nas wanted to drop a classic he could do it. EVERY producer wants to work with him. Dunno what's up with him. Hell, a Nas+Premo full album and tour? sheeeiit

Although I don't mind Alex Da Kid (don't hurt me GAF-HOP), I agree that Nas should be nowhere near one of those.

An album with DJ Premier, Alchemist, hell even Kanye production would be great...

Tokubetsu

Can you just meet me on top of the building Spindashing? I'm a pretty small guy, I don't think I can carry you to the top and then throw you off.

Tokubetsu said:
Can you just meet me on top of the building Spindashing? I'm a pretty small guy, I don't think I can carry you to the top and then throw you off.
pikachu-crying.jpg

I do like Words I Never Said and I can't say that I hate I Need a Doctor =(

IrishNinja

but you'd be all over the street, like fifty cent

i was still thinking about buying back a lotta quality albums id downloaded, trying to see if artists get a better %/deal if i buy them offa itunes or amazon, not a lotta info. i keep saying it, i know it doesnt work that way but id almost just rather download my shit and then drop $10 or whatever into their paypal directly with a note "keep doing shit like this".

kamspy

I don't even know if Nas could make a hit record under any conditions at this point. Dude is so full of himself and everyone around him is a yes man, which complicates things even further.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
kamspy said:
I don't even know if Nas could make a hit record under any conditions at this point. Dude is so full of himself and everyone around him is a yes man, which complicates things even further.

Thats because Nas is an idiot rap savant. On the mic he sounds (mostly...) intelligent and skilled. Off the mic he sounds like he has fucking brain damage.

Tokubetsu

siddx said:
Thats because Nas is an idiot rap savant. On the mic he sounds (mostly...) intelligent and skilled. Off the mic he sounds like he has fucking brain damage.

Nas has never had an interview where he doesn't sound like a stoned retard.

siddx

Tokubetsu said:
Nas has never had an interview where he doesn't sound like a stoned retard.

Exactly, he should have called himself Rainman instead of Nas.

DominoKid

siddx said:

I wouldnt even give him that much credit.

He's basically a dude that managed to catch lightning in a bottle once w/ Illmatic due to being carefully managed.

He's got Mos Def syndrome. Spectacular lyricist, poor artist.

siddx

The M.O.B said:
Didn't Nas say recently that he still thinks Hip-Hop is dead.

C'mon Son

If rap is dead, Nastradmus is one of the bullets that helped do it in.

But it isn't, Nas is just sour that barely anyone cares about him anymore.

Tokubetsu

DominoKid said:
I wouldnt even give him that much credit.

He's basically a dude that managed to catch lightning in a bottle once w/ Illmatic due to being carefully managed.

He's got Mos Def syndrome. Spectacular lyricist, poor artist.

Nah, he gets it right every couple of albums. It Was Written and Stillmatic are great and once you get past like, the first four tracks, ...I Am gets good.

IrishNinja

damn, ya'll are harsh as shit with these pile-ons. Nas is a top 10 lyricist, how much more do you ask from an MC? i admit, i havent read many interviews since the Source in the day, but most MCs - even the ones i thought intelligent - sounded stupid. too much name dropping, conspiracy bullshit etc...i cant imagine being a Ye fan and reading his stuff.

the Mos comparison is fair, though. sometimes i wanna lump Ghost into that too: top-tier rappers who just cant put it together and bank nearly as much as they should for what they bring (its always about raw deals, but a lot of that has to be ego/etc). anyway, Nas just got done showing with Distant Relatives that he can be relevant/make $, its just he needs to try more angles.

continually hearing that Primo has beats in stock for him, just waiting (never heard the whole illmatic crew wanting to re-up...so Az, Q-Tip, Large Professor etc have said this? damn) doesnt help his case though.

kamspy - hit me up again about those headphones! i forget which brand/series you said.

*edit: agreed with tokus^ though i recall feeling the same way @ Gods Son.

Tokubetsu

Have you ever seen the shit Prodigy talks about? It's so embarassing, sometimes it's hard to admit you're a Mobb Deep fan.

God's Son get's a pass for Book of Rhymes. ALC!

Street's Disciple gets a pass for the couple of bangers on it and for Nas trying to be ambitious.

m3k

i can lol at nas but i dont think hes bitter, ive heard interviews where he isnt surprised more people are sick of hearing new shit from him

i read somewhere he is now paying 20 grand a month in child support... shit is still bananas

but him with mobb deep... dog shit

sometimes he could bypass some of the shit that comes his way

edit: only nas cd i havent got is nastradamus (and maybe the songs that didnt make hip hop is dead or untitled)... most cds have enough redeeming songs to make the rubbish worth while, some shit songs still have some good lines in it and ive heard that is the same with nastradamus... his last few cds have all had a few good songs

DominoKid

IrishNinja said:
damn, ya'll are harsh as shit with these pile-ons. Nas is a top 10 lyricist, how much more do you ask from an MC? i admit, i havent read many interviews since the Source in the day, but most MCs - even the ones i thought intelligent - sounded stupid. too much name dropping, conspiracy bullshit etc...i cant imagine being a Ye fan and reading his stuff.

the Mos comparison is fair, though. sometimes i wanna lump Ghost into that too: top-tier rappers who just cant put it together and bank nearly as much as they should for what they bring (its always about raw deals, but a lot of that has to be ego/etc). anyway, Nas just got done showing with Distant Relatives that he can be relevant/make $, its just he needs to try more angles.

continually hearing that Primo has beats in stock for him, just waiting (never heard the whole illmatic crew wanting to re-up...so Az, Q-Tip, Large Professor etc have said this? damn) doesnt help his case though.

kamspy - hit me up again about those headphones! i forget which brand/series you said.

consistently good albums?

being the best lyricist dont mean much to me if you cant put it together on the album/mixtape.

ludacris got the same problem too. its why he kills guest verses and puts out shit ass albums.

Nas is like that middle aged black dude you always see at the barber shop. He's there to get a cut, and there to just hang around too. Always talking about black enterprise, black business, white man this white man that. And then you hear him peddling a pyramid scheme or asking for a cut on credit.

Tokubetsu said:
I refuse to buy another Nas album. He got me with Nastradamus when I was 10 and again with Untitled. Fool me twice Nasir! Queens Get The Money is the only track I go back to.
I can play through Untitled without skipping any song except Hero. It's a great album.

HiResDes

IrishNinja said:

If he's selling the Superlux still definitely cop them....The only reason I didn't jump on it is that my Beyerdynamic DT770's are still in perfect condition.

I can listen to all of Untitled except Hero and Make the World Go Round.

HiResDes said:
Anybody watching T. Pain's Freaknic cartoon on Adult Swim, so far it's fucking hilarious
I've been meaning to see that, actually..

IrishNinja

DominoKid said:
consistently good albums?

being the best lyricist dont mean much to me if you cant put it together on the album/mixtape.

ludacris got the same problem too. its why he kills guest verses and puts out shit ass albums.

i get this, cause there's not many albums like illmatic (id say stillmatic too) where almost every track is good. for me though, there's very few nas albums id call bad by way of not enjoying at least a few memorable tracks (like how tokus just gave a pass on a few prior). i do the same shit with games, too, oddly - i had like 5-6 titles or my Sega-CD that i really dug, so i still walked way thinking it was a solid system.

you're spot-on with luda guest spots vs albums here too. id love to see a cohesive nas album, like what kno's been doing with his last few having abstract themes (death, dreams etc), if Nas had one topic he could stay on the whole way. i thought he kinda tried this with hip hop is dead but that lost its way too.

HiResDes said:
If he's selling the Superlux still definitely cop them....The only reason I didn't jump on it is that my Beyerdynamic DT770's are still in perfect condition.

were those the < $50 ones ya'll said were good for hip-hop + gaming, comfy too?

Tokubetsu

Freaknik is great. I got the soundtrack for it too but back to how amazing returnof4eva is,

ROTATING MA TIRES
ROTATING MA TIRES
ROTATING MA TIRES

exarkun

Pretty tipsy and doing some work for school and listening to that unofficial childish gambino tape from 2dopeboys and I gotta say...the production is on a whole nother level. I really, really love the sounds of most of the songs and the lyrics are good too. And it all really pops cause of Hi Res's advice for the headphones. Thanks brah.

On topic of the conversation, I've loved Luda since the first album (or mixtape, never understood what happened there). But its become apparent as some have said here that he just can't make really good serious albums. My boy from Detroit use to always put his ish on when partaking in alternative stuff, but he was adamant about how Luda can destroy someone on a guest verse and absolutely suck on his own shit. It used to offend me, but its kind of true. He can spit one great verse a track, and thats why there is always theres that up and down quality to his records (theatre of the mind?).

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Nas is paying Kelis $87k per fucking month? And 50k of that is child support?!

Fuck the US court system. Prenups are mandatory.

kamspy

K.Jack said:

And he's never even had a really hit "hit" album. Isn't a lot of his older publishing owned my MC Serch still?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
spindashing said:
I can listen to all of Untitled except Hero and Make the World Go Round.

I've been meaning to see that, actually..
Oddly, Hero is one of the more tolerable tracks off of Untitled to me, despite its Polow Da Don-ness. Some flat out duds on there.

kamspy said:
And he's never even had a really hit "hit" album. Isn't a lot of his older publishing owned my MC Serch still?

Meanwhile, his excessive spending habits left him with little money, and Nas was forced to ask for a loan to purchase clothes to wear to the Source Awards ceremony in 1995.[1] The success of fellow East Coast act The Notorious B.I.G. and promoter Puff Daddy at the awards show sent a message to Nas to change his commercial approach, resulting in his hiring of Steve "The Commissioner" Stoute as manager.[1] While Illmatic attained gold status in the United States, Stoute convinced Nas to aim his efforts in a more mainstream, commercial direction for his sophomore album, after which Nas enlisted the production team Trackmasters, who were known at the time for their mainstream success.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Was_Written#Background

smh

His second and third albums went double plat, and Stillmatic almost did too. Dude sold records, just not at a DMX or Jay-Z level. Given how rap artist get dicked over without their masters, I'm not surprised he doesn't have much to show for it. Same with Wu Tang, who's second album sold like crazy.

Gotta get the money touring, which isn't bad if you're someone with a huge audience like Nas.

hubes

K.Jack said:

how the fuck does someone have to pay 50k for child support? i'll admit i have no idea what the process of determining the amount of child support that someone has to pay is, but that seems like a ridiculous amount of money.

Gamer98

Banned
PhoenixDark said:

Ah damn I see. Well I don't mind him at all and it kinda feels like the rap game is kinda sorry without the man. I want more T-pain love the way that dude produces his tracks...I think hes one of the best underrated producers/acts in the game. This is not a joke.

IrishNinja

K.Jack said:

that shit can't be right. he can't have a millie a year to toss her way...chris rock did a whole bit about this.

also: DMX made $ like jigga? i know he had mass appeal when he was on, just didnt know to what extent.

DominoKid

Gamer98 said:
Anybody fuck with T-pain?

I tried to hate but Buy U A Drank converted me. classic jam. if you cant enjoy that youre probably just a miserable fuck in general

thats going to be a black wedding reception staple for the next few decades.

Three Rings was one of my favorite albums of 08 and I'm eager to see what he comes with next.

he's just got a great ear for fun party songs as well as off the wall songs (Ringleader Man, Time Machine etc)

Phantom is probably my favorite though T-Pain song just cause its fucking hilarious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom