• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

siddx said:
Was there some kind of mass culling in a thread just recently?

seriously...i wanna talk about Goblin, but pinko and spin are some of my favorite dudes here. MT like just got back too, didnt he?
unless anyone can find specifics, i too will assume bin laden thread or something on the gaming side. sometimes i wish we had a banned registry like SA. peace guys, hopefully none are permas and we're all back with shinobis to form like voltron soon.

Recon

Banned
IrishNinja said:
seriously...i wanna talk about Goblin, but pinko and spin are some of my favorite dudes here. MT like just got back too, didnt he?
unless anyone can find specifics, i too will assume bin laden thread or something on the gaming side. sometimes i wish we had a banned registry like SA. peace guys, hopefully none are permas and we're all back with shinobis to form like voltron soon.

Can i form the ass?

Bowser

Knux-Future said:
So meh. Dude needs to stop playin and drop an album.

jcoleg.jpg

big ander

Tokubetsu said:
Okay, Analog was actually good.
Yeah took me a few listens but I love it.

IrishNinja said:
Mods confirmed that the bannings that just happened were based off posts all through PSN outage threads, really long threads so its nearly impossible to find specific posts.

IrishNinja

big ander said:
Mods confirmed that the bannings that just happened were based off posts all through PSN outage threads, really long threads so its nearly impossible to find specific posts.

yeah, just saw that...guess they had jokes? man, gaming side does not play. gonna light one up tomorrow night in their honor.

ReconYoda said:
Can i form the ass?

someone's got to! all yours, im thinking ill go for a leg or an eye or something.

Recon

Banned
I like the new cole track, its a bit different than what im used to from him. Still better than 90% of the shit in the mainstream anyways.

IrishNinja said:
yeah, just saw that...guess they had jokes? man, gaming side does not play. gonna light one up tomorrow night in their honor.

Thats why i dont fuck with the gaming side.

Kimosabae

Banned
New Aesop Rock+Rob Sonic+DJ Big Whiz Album = "Hail Mary Mallon".

Hail-Mary-Mallon.jpg

Just dropped a few hours ago.

Fuck ya'll if ya'll don't like Aesop - just means you don't like lyrics.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Damn Cole, first the Rihanna features now this? What's going on? I don't want to hear Cole talking this much shit.. there's a certain level of shit talking I can tolerate, that differs from rapper to rapper.

The hook is the big offender.

Tokubetsu

HiResDes said:
Well we know it's Aesop Rock related c'mon guys show some reading comprehension

It's not about reading comprehension, it's about posting art and no links, nothing. I'm not gonna google search with nothing to go on besides "new aesop rock."

Apparently that's just a street single, not Cole's initial single. No way a record label would release that shit - at least based on the 30sec I heard.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Tokubetsu said:
It's not about reading comprehension, it's about posting art and no links, nothing. I'm not gonna google search with nothing to go on besides "new aesop rock."
I know you shouldn't have to, but really, TinEye Firefox/Chrome plugin really helps when browsing the web and come across something you need context/a bigger version for.

Tokubetsu

HiResDes said:
Shit I just typed Aesop Rock and Hail Mary Mallon in google and got this

...It took me five seconds, literally, I timed myself.

Fine, okay. From here on out I'm just gonna be an asshole and post mixtape art only.

big ander

HiResDes said:
Shit I just typed Aesop Rock and Hail Mary Mallon in google and got this

...It took me five seconds, literally, I timed myself.
Gonna need to see your timing report, preferably the long-form.
Was pretty good. I do like the album art a lot.

Recon

Banned
HiResDes said:
Well we know it's Aesop Rock related c'mon guys show some reading comprehension

Just throwing up mixtape art with nothing other than a rant about people not respecting an artist doesnt give much clue. I figured it was either 1.Aesop Rock 2. Someone Aesop works with. 3. Something Aesop was on. Either way, unless someone posts a link, i dont feel like searching myself for something i may or may not like.

Kimosabae

Banned
Admittedly it is pretty bad cover art in terms of marketing. I can easily see why people would be confused. If you don't know what 'Hail Mary Mallon' refers to, there's probably no way you'd guess that's an album cover (and even then..).

I also think the art is just bad in general. I like color in my hip hop album art, because that's what the art brings to my life.

Haven't listened yet, but my impressions will be undoubtedly biased.

*edit*

Info on the album in general with a link to their current single:

http://www.rhymesayers.com/hailmarymallon

Kaizer

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Damn Cole, first the Rihanna features now this? What's going on? I don't want to hear Cole talking this much shit.. there's a certain level of shit talking I can tolerate, that differs from rapper to rapper.

The hook is the big offender.
Yeah, I got mad hype on some Cole Stan snobbery and was quickly let down. Regardless of whether it's a single or not, that song's gonna make the album? So much for my hopes of College Dropout levels of awesome.

And wtf, with all the usual suspects getting banned? I'm shocked.

DominoKid

J. Cole really is a really poor-man's Kanye

College dropout, producer-rapper coming up under Jay's wing. Yeah Cole raps a lil better but he dont have a 10th of the charisma and presence of Kanye and he damn sure cant touch Kanye's production."

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
To go from Friday Night Lights to that shit. MEH. But then again, there were like 3 wack tracks on that too.

I hope his album is as good as he's hyping it up to be. Seriously. I've lost interest in the dude by now. Used to be on his nuts hard.

DominoKid said:

College dropout, producer-rapper coming up under Jay's wing. Yeah Cole raps a lil better but he dont have a 10th of the charisma and presence of Kanye and he damn sure cant touch Kanye's production."
I know GAF collectively rides Kanye's dick as much as anyone but come on, this isn't a fair comparison yet is it? This dude has yet to release his first album and only has two mixtapes. He's hardly broken into the door of mainstream and really only started to gain some exposure in 2010.

5 years from now if he hasn't done some shit then we'll know if he's just a Kanye-Failure.

IrishNinja

+1 to "if you dont link to it/label it, i'm not gonna look it up". just being honest, perpetually in a hip-hop/music backlog, so a lack of details kinda looks like a lack of interest/hype on my end, take that for what it's worth.

Recon

Banned
DominoKid said:

LOL. Dude is a mad talented lyricists who is actually a damn fine producer. You cant compare the two production wise because Kanye has had a lot longer to perfect his production(which has fallen off lately), with that said, i like Cole's production style a lot better, its more laid back. Cole's Mixtapes are far better than Kanyes last 3 albums.

Stat Flow said:
To go from Friday Night Lights to that shit. MEH. But then again, there were like 3 wack tracks on that too.

I hope his album is as good as he's hyping it up to be. Seriously. I've lost interest in the dude by now. Used to be on his nuts hard.

FFN wasn't too long ago. Dude is consistent enough to make waiting a breeze; you always know he's gonna release something dope, no worries.

I listened to the entire song and it's horrible. How do you go from What Dat to this? Who Dat was a perfect street single.

I still think Roc Nation fucked up by not making In The Morning the second single for his album. No point wasting that on a mixtape. I'm not some big fan of the song, but it clearly had legs in part due to the feature.

Kimosabae

Banned
I'm not good with the urls so I don't bother. To say not linking the album cover and making it look glittery to attract people is bs, tho. You're just looking for an excuse to further dismiss artists you don't know or aren't interested in - let's be real.

That's why I don't put the time and effort into that stuff. Most of you seem to be in your lanes already, so I don't drop links expecting to rock the boat, just to put something of my interest in plain view.

Recon

Banned
Kimosabae said:
I'm not good with the urls so I don't bother. To say not linking the album cover and making it look glittery to attract people is bs, tho. You're just looking for an excuse to further dismiss artists you don't know or aren't interested in - let's be real.

That's why I don't put the time and effort into that stuff. Most of you seem to be in your lanes already, so I don't drop links expecting to rock the boat, just to put something of my interest plain view.

You could of just said " Aesop's new shit, look it up" or something. It was a kinda disjointed post.

IrishNinja

Kimo, it ain't that hard, though, and you're liable to put some (myself for one) onto new shit if you put it out there is the thing.

hey guys, (x) has a new album coming out

(img)dat arts(/img)

single's right here, listen if you have ears: (ideally some hulkshare/yt shit that streams, but whatever will do).

do what you're gonna, i just dont want you thinking everybody sleeps. i go back a few pages and try most linked singles to play catchup, i just dont speak on all of them.

DominoKid said:

A lil better? Cole shits on Kanye in every conceivable way, rapping wise. They can't be compared in terms of personality; Kanye is a loud, insecure bitch while Cole is basically the hip hop Michael Corleone.

Recon

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
A lil better? Cole shits on Kanye in every conceivable way, rapping wise. They can't be compared in terms of personality; Kanye is a loud, insecure bitch while Cole is basically the hip hop Michael Corleone.

I swear sometimes we have the exact same opinions, then other times i think you are crazy..lol. For the record i agree with you.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ReconYoda said:
LOL. Dude is a mad talented lyricists who is actually a damn fine producer. You cant compare the two production wise because Kanye has had a lot longer to perfect his production(which has fallen off lately), with that said, i like Cole's production style a lot better, its more laid back. Cole's Mixtapes are far better than Kanyes last 3 albums.
what is this I don't even.

I still like Kanye's ego better than Cole's play-it-safe shit though. I like my rappers to have personality.

DominoKid

PhoenixDark said:

he is just a lil better. so what he got more complicated rhymes schemes. the shit he says just aint that interesting.

and lol @ your personality descriptions. if thats how you choose to see it than so be it.

fact of the matter is, he not even big here in NC, his homestate. he's barely on the radio. no fucking way he's gonna be national. hell, the college kids still like Wale more than Cole.

ReconYoda said:
I swear sometimes we have the exact same opinions, then other times i think you are crazy..lol. For the record i agree with you.

Michigan hip hoppers have refined taste *dap*

And yes, FNL>Dark Fantasy.

Kaizer

Banned
Damn, Kanye's getting blasted. I like both Cole & Kanye, but the reason I've always liked Cole is because he reminds me of a less crazy, more gruffer Kanye. I wouldn't say that makes him better though, y'all acting like 'Ye hasn't had any sick lines at all. It's sorta ironic though, on this "Disgusting" track it totally sounds like Cole is jacking that Kanye personality but it ain't working AT ALL.

I agree that we have to wait on the album to see if Cole really has what it takes, but man, I hope that song gets bumped to bonus track status.

EDIT: Agree on FNL > Dark Fantasy. MBDTF is probably my least liked or replayed Kanye album, right next to 808s.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's the infinite GAF-Hop cycle. Alternating weeks of intense Kanye hate, and intense Kanye standom. Only siddx stays planted in the former, and I stay planted in the latter throughout the fire and the flames. At this point I don't have the energy anymore to argue ridiculous Kanye criticisms created to make someone else look better in comparison. All Cole's got on Ye is the wordplay and lyrical ability, though I still relate to Kanye much more.

On Week 1 we have some outsider ask us if we've heard of Odd Future and on Week 2 we have the best Ghostface album discussion. On Week 1 we discuss proper places to wear sunglasses, and on Week 2 we discuss who won. Rinse. Wash. Repeat. Where that April mixtape roundup at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom