• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop Conference: God of War 1 & 2 Collection on Blu Ray this Fall w/ Trophies $40

ACE 1991

It seems GAF isn't so hot on GoW1/2's story. I was under the impression that both games actually have fairly good stories, at least that's what I've been reading from reviews from around the net.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
ACE 1991 said:
It seems GAF isn't so hot on GoW1/2's story. I was under the impression that both games actually have fairly good stories, at least that's what I've been reading from reviews from around the net.

They do have great stories. Many on GAF love the stories.

Ardorx

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Great for many of us that have played the game, if you'd have bothered to read any of the thread.

I understand that a couple of you loyalists will re-buy the game but for the general public it's only good for those that have never played the games. I just don't want this to become a trend, there's nothing wrong with that.

I wouldn't want Kojima spending time he could be using to make new ips or new games on bringing the first three MGS games to the PS3 and it's the same thing here.

Shalashaska said:
Yeah I wish GoW3 was coming out instead.

Wait..

I wish other games, like new ips were being made instead.

soldat7

Ardorx said:
I understand that a couple of you loyalists will re-buy the game but for the general public it's only good for those that have never played the games. I just don't want this to become a trend, there's nothing wrong with that.

I wouldn't want Kojima spending time he could be using to make new ips or new games on bringing the first three MGS games to the PS3 and it's the same thing here.

I wish other games, like new ips were being made instead.

I don't think this release is interfering with anything. Bluepoint Games is handling it.

mileS

scobur said:
I'm not fourteen, for one.

The gameplay is light and fun; the set pieces are often grand. The characters and storyline are pure garbage.

So you basically think Greek mythology is pure garbage right? :lol fair enough..

RPG collections would be pretty awesome from a content standpoint. But would the graphics translate to HD and widescreen?

Shadow Hearts collection, Persona, DDS etc.

AniHawk

mileS said:
Until he gives some examples of exactly what it is about the characters that he thinks is pure garbage I feel safe to take that leap.

Not enjoying the representation of these characters in a video game isn't the same as not liking Greek mythology or thinking those characters are pure garbage.

mileS

AniHawk said:
Not enjoying the representation of these characters in a video game isn't the same as not liking Greek mythology or thinking those characters are pure garbage.

True. Did he say that?

AniHawk

mileS said:
True. Did he say that?

He didn't have to. It should be understood he was talking about their representation in the game because everyone here is talking about the game. For you to decide he was referring to the original non videogamized figures of Greek mythology is a huge leap.

Zeliard

AniHawk said:
He didn't have to. It should be understood he was talking about their representation in the game because everyone here is talking about the game. For you to decide he was referring to the original non videogamized figures of Greek mythology is a huge leap.

Zeus is a bitch.

Man, even with all the fancier graphics, the God of War game's presentation of it's narrative and production values is so much better than current generation action game title efforts.

Zeliard said:
Zeus is a bitch.

I watched that documentary on the History channel yesterday about the greek gods and mythology, damn they sure were petty and cruel.

Magnus

Fyodor Dostoevsky said:
ZoE2 is already 60fps...do you guys know what these terms mean or does it just look nice to say "SOTC HD 60FPS 1080p BBQ"

What magical version of the game were you playing?

Played GoW, but not GoW 2. I have a BC console and don't really care about trophies, so I can't justify the inflated price tag, but this is perfect for those who have a later PS3 model.

Loudninja

DimmuBurgerKing said:
Played GoW, but not GoW 2. I have a BC console and don't really care about trophies, so I can't justify the inflated price tag, but this is perfect for those who have a later PS3 model.

How is the price inflated?

DimmuBurgerKing said:

Inflated? Both games are $19.99 retail. An enhanced PS3 port of both games for $39.99 is a steal.

Zeliard

HomerSimpson-Man said:
I watched that documentary on the History channel yesterday about the greek gods and mythology, damn they sure were petty and cruel.

And they plagued mankind with suffering.

Only one man dared to challenge their power.

Hercules.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
2 great games plus trophies at a good price... I'm in. Even though I already own both already I was going to replay them before GoW3 now I have more incentive given trophy support.

Now we need an Ico/Shadow of the Colossus bundle:D I really don't want to pay $150 for new copy of Ico off of eBay and the devs get no money for it. Come on Sony do it! It prints money?

Majmun

Yes, Ps2 versions of GoW 1 and GoW II are €19,99 each new.

This pack deal is a steal, and a much better value.

DimmuBurgerKing said:
:lol

Lunchbox

Banned
ill probably pick this up.

didnt play god of war 2 cause the ps2 lost my interest by the time gow2 came out. gow1 was amazing

Pai Pai Master said:
Inflated? Both games are $19.99 retail. An enhanced PS3 port of both games for $39.99 is a steal.

Yeah, poor choice of words on my part. I only meant that I already have the first game in the series, so I'm only interested in GoW2, a used copy of which I actually just ordered a few minutes ago after reading the OP. I agree that it's an awesome price for enhanced ports of two wonderful games, so I'm not complaining about it by any means. I'd definitely pay $20 for a standalone copy of an enhanced version of the second game.

Blu_LED said:

Cease your lulz at once, sirrah! *dramatic backhand* :p

oneHeero

DimmuBurgerKing said:
Yeah, poor choice of words on my part. I only meant that I already have the first game in the series, so I'm only interested in GoW2, a used copy of which I actually just ordered a few minutes ago after reading the OP. I agree that it's an awesome price for enhanced ports of two wonderful games, so I'm not complaining about it by any means. I'd definitely pay $20 for a standalone copy of an enhanced version of the second game.
touche

Alex

Forty dollars for two old, very, very common PS2 games is indeed inflated. If they had thrown in Chains of Olympus too, it'd be much more reasonable. I never got around to playing that myself, would've been a GREAT idea. Lots of people in this boat.

But without CoO, hell, I got GOW 1 + 2 together brand new for 15 bucks off of Ebay ages ago. I'd probably pay half of that for mint condition used now.

Those things have been put on sale so many times at B&M's as well. I know for a fact when a friend of mine got a PS2 Slim they were 9.99 each. Pointing at Greatest Hit MSRP and taking it at face value for a new bundle is silly.

I'd like them in 720p, but I'll just wait for a price drop. The collection + resolution jump, etc is still a good trend I'd like to see for more PS2 games, but there is way too much software coming out this fall/winter to want to drop forty on this, for me that is.

Still, I'm happy it's happening.

mileS

AniHawk said:

90% of the characters are from Greek mythology. If he says they are garbage how is it a huge leap? whatever. You have to admit its kind of silly to use the characters as an example of why he thinks the story is garbage. It's not like they made these characters up out of the blue for the game.

mileS said:
90% of the characters are from Greek mythology. If he says they are garbage how is it a huge leap? whatever. You have to admit its kind of silly to use the characters as an example of why he thinks the story is garbage. It's not like they made these characters up out of the blue for the game.

I love the Arthurian legends and the story of Lancelot and Guenevere. First Knight had Lancelot and Guenevere in it, but both characters in this movie were pieces of shit and the way the story was presented was embarrassing.

Yoboman

Gold Member
Interesting quote:

"Wow, you know, God of War II looks like it's PS3…" Well a lot of that has to do with the fact that we built this thing with higher-res assets. And even God of War 1, this stuff holds up because we work at a level higher than our target platform, so we can go back and pretty easily move this stuff up

Does that mean they'd originally built high-res assets and downscaled them for PS2?

Blu_LED said:
Interview on IGN

Two separate trophy lists
Two platinums
They are not touching the art
Trying not to add high res textures
No God of War III demo
All God of War extras included
God of War II extras are having trouble getting in, because of seconds disc

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/102/1020686p1.html

Mostly awesome news, hope they can get the second extras disc in there. Also, I hope by "not touching the art" means textures only, because it'd be nice if the 2D HUD stuff was redone in HD.

GN: What we understand about the port, for lack of a better word, is that it's now at 720p, it runs at 60 frames-per-second, it's got anti-aliasing going on...

John Hight: 2X anti-aliasing...

IGN: Did you all do anything with using higher-resolution textures? Is there any way that the art has changed, or the number of frames of animation or anything like that?

John Hight: That's a good question. So, we're still kind of evaluating, but we were prepared to upgrade the textures, at least on Kratos on both games, but honestly it's looking so good that we're thinking, you know what? It's probably better to keep it in its pure form. We're playing around with potentially swapping out textures on some of the user interface and the fonts just to make them a little more readable. It looked great back on the PS2 on a regular TV, or even an HDTV, but once you get into an HDTV running at 720p, some of the text gets a little weedy, so we are going to swap that out.

So, 2xAA and I got my last question answered :lol

Don

Wasn't expecting two seperate trophy lists.
This one of my most wanted releases for this year even though I already own both of these. Hopefully it releases in Europe at the same time.

Alex

World and character textures are no problem, but redoing 2D stuff like the menus or whatever would be really nice.

Tom Penny

Blu_LED said:
Interview on IGN

Two separate trophy lists
Two platinums
They are not touching the art
Trying not to add high res textures
No God of War III demo

All God of War extras included
God of War II extras are having trouble getting in, because of seconds disc

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/102/1020686p1.html

Need screen shots. No demo sucks. It wasn't expected but that alone would push more sales. I don't see why they wouldn't include it when the goal is to make money.

Tom Penny said:
Need screen shots. No demo sucks. It wasn't expected but that alone would push more sales. I don't see why they wouldn't include it when the goal is to make money.
Probably has something to do with the fact that God of War III comes out in March, and by the time this game is out, the game wouldn't be at a demo worthy state.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Blu_LED said:
Probably has something to do with the fact that God of War III comes out in March, and by the time this game is out, the game wouldn't be at a demo worthy state.
So, you were born after E3 2009? It looked fine there.

And many games have demos 6 months prior to release. Recent notable ones include FFXIII and GoW: CoO.

No demo sucks, and is unreasonable. And I bet money it is a pre-order exclusive.

Tom Penny

Blu_LED said:

Your telling me they couldn't include the demo they have been showing? I bet it has to do more with the ESRB then the demo not being up to par.

templeusox said:
They could just put the same demo they let people play at E3.
They could, but that demo is running on a debug PS3, and would take some work to make to work on a regular PS3. That would mean they would have to take a group of people off of the game, and work on making a demo. For all we know they don't have the time or resources to do that.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
DMeisterJ said:
2 platinums?!

ZOMG

borat_2Dhigh_2Dfive.jpg

Top Bottom