• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop Conference: God of War 1 & 2 Collection on Blu Ray this Fall w/ Trophies $40

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
it's not the story that I find particularly inventive, it's the setting that surrounds it.

greek mythology in general is an area that I've always loved growing up, and seeing a game realise parts of it so spectacularly is awesome

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
TheExodu5 said:
The story in GoW is head and shoulders above other action games, at least.
Story line is shit...just like every other action game. They just decide to make it more "serious" and pump more money into it then the others. Doesn't change the fact it's still shit.

TheExodu5

Banned
shintoki said:
Story line is shit...just like every other action game. They just decide to make it more "serious" and pump more money into it then the others. Doesn't change the fact it's still shit.

Kratos basically trades his soul to Ares for power, ends up murdering his wife and child because of it, and basically has these memories hidden from guilt. Finds out, and takes revenge on Ares.

Kratos becomes too powerful as the God of War, and Zeus is not happy with this. He gets his powers robbed from him, his people are destroyed, and he teams up with the Titans to take revenge on Zeus. The game ends with Kratos and the Titans climbing Mount Olympus

That's by no means terrible, and the way it's told is friggin' bad ass.

This isn't friggin' Ninja Gaiden where motorcycle ninjas under a large corporation are sent to steal a sword from Ryu's village.

Septimus

The stories in GoW games are definitely above average. But it's the presentation and flow that push them to greatness.

so are they going to add checkpoints into the final boss battle in GOW1?

i may actually be arsed to buy this again and beat it.

i HATE HATE HATE multi part boss fights with no checkpoints.

LowParry

shintoki said:

You mean what comes from you mouth? I can believe that.

TheExodu5

Banned
plagiarize said:
'above average story' for games, is a very very low bar.

Oh spare me this holier-than-thou attitude towards game stories. Yes, they are below other forms of media. However, we are in a VIDEO GAME forum, so we are comparing them to VIDEO GAMES.

Are you one of those posters that always responds with "in your opinion" to people's posts? Probably, seeing as how you took "no one" as an absolute in the Facebook and Twitter thread.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
TheExodu5 said:
Oh spare me this holier-than-thou attitude towards game stories. Yes, they are below other forms of media. However, we are in a VIDEO GAME forum, so we are comparing them to VIDEO GAMES.

Are you one of those posters that always responds with "in your opinion" to people's posts? Probably, seeing as how you took "no one" as an absolute in the Facebook and Twitter thread.

Stories in games won't evolve or advance too much if people just keep kicking every effort to do so in the balls and saying it's shit.

Tom Penny

shintoki said:

I guess you don't like almost every action movie ever made either.

AniHawk

NinjaFridge said:
Stories in games won't evolve or advance too much if people just keep kicking every effort to do so in the balls and saying it's shit.

Actually, shouldn't the opposite happen? If we keep saying all these efforts are shit, people should try and do better, not get discouraged and go home because we hurt their feelings.

Tom Penny said:
I guess you don't like almost every action movie ever made either.

Depends if you go to action movies for the story or the action.

TheExodu5

Banned
NinjaFridge said:

Stories in games CAN'T evolve beyond having a basic plot due to their interactive nature. Story sets up gameplay. Only a few game types can blend well with properly told stories (text-centric RPGs, adventure games). Asking this of an action game, which has a story that serves it's purpose to set up 10+ hours of action sequences, is a bit unrealistic.

Movies are 2 hours long, where 75% of the time is telling story, and 25% of the time is spent on action sequences. The distribution in a videogame is probably closer to 5/95.

Ardorx

Banned
Great for people that have never played the games but I don't want them to make this a trend. Make new games dammit, don't rehash old ones.

Or hey, save time by bringing backwards compatibility back.

TheExodu5

Banned
Ardorx said:
Great for people that have never played the games but I don't want them to make this a trend. Make new games dammit, don't rehash old ones.

Great for many of us that have played the game, if you'd have bothered to read any of the thread.

TheExodu5 said:
actually i just praise the good ones.

frankly, i loved GOW1 and 2 (apart from the last boss fight in the first game).

i don't need or expect stories in games to be any good, and when they are i am the first to praise them.

the story doesn't make a good game bad... but the gameplay and pacing and art work etc don't make the story any better either.

i love the Resident Evil games. i'll never understand why people spend so much time discussing and debating the storyline and characters though... because it's a bunch of crap.

God of War is fighting giant bosses and mythical creatures mixed in with some good platforming and puzzling.

i'm amazed the story is being discussed at all because it's so secondary... but if we're discussing it, it's nothing remotely special in gaming.

you'll notice i haven't said that the story is bad at any point, just that 'average for games' is a low bar. and it is.

aiming higher is only going to make games better.

i'm not the kind of person that says 'in my opinion' all the time, because i respect other posters enough to know that they'll understand that what i write is naturally my opinion, without having to go ahead and state it.

NinjaFridge said:
I think you're being intellectually dishonest here - there are some attempts at telling more mature/creatively told stories that a lot of people have talked very positively about - see Silent Hill 2. It's not like people are bashing the actually impressive stories.

That said, I think this conversation is silly because telling a fantastic story really isn't the goal of the God of War franchise, even though it's a franchise that is extremely well served by what story there is.

Ardorx said:

Yeah I wish GoW3 was coming out instead.

Wait..

yeah. i don't see this as 'rehashing'. i see this more as 'preserving'.

we've got to keep updating the classics or they'll end up stuck on discs that nothing plays anymore.

Rez said:
it's not the story that I find particularly inventive, it's the setting that surrounds it.

greek mythology in general is an area that I've always loved growing up, and seeing a game realise parts of it so spectacularly is awesome

100% agreed. The setting gets me too.

TheExodu5 said:
The story in GoW is head and shoulders above other action games, at least.

This is an excellent point. God of War actually has a coherent storyline and introduces only locales and enemies that fit with that setting, which already puts it 10,000x above Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry in terms of story quality. :lol

TheExodu5

Banned
What I was saying was in response to a poster saying it was not worth playing through GoW1 and GoW2 before GoW3 for the story. I'd say it's well worth it. I am far more invested into playing GoW3 now, thanks mainly to GoW2's fantastic ending.

edit: and yes, keep in mind, as charlequin said, I am comparing this to DMC and NG. :lol

TheExodu5 said:
Stories in games CAN'T evolve beyond having a basic plot due to their interactive nature. Story sets up gameplay. Only a few game types can blend well with properly told stories (text-centric RPGs, adventure games). Asking this of an action game, which has a story that serves it's purpose to set up 10+ hours of action sequences, is a bit unrealistic.

Movies are 2 hours long, where 75% of the time is telling story, and 25% of the time is spent on action sequences. The distribution in a videogame is probably closer to 5/95.

I agree and that's why I think good characters, dialogue and voice-acting is a lot more important than story in video games. Although these three aspects have improved greatly over the years, there's still a ways to go.

GoW was great because of it's presentation, a powerful character in Kratos, some cool lines here and there: "The Gods of Olympus have abandoned me, now there is no hope.." and some very good voice acting by TC Carson.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
TheExodu5 said:
Kratos basically trades his soul to Ares for power, ends up murdering his wife and child because of it, and basically has these memories hidden from guilt. Finds out, and takes revenge on Ares.

Kratos becomes too powerful as the God of War, and Zeus is not happy with this. He gets his powers robbed from him, his people are destroyed, and he teams up with the Titans to take revenge on Zeus. The game ends with Kratos and the Titans climbing Mount Olympus

That's by no means terrible, and the way it's told is friggin' bad ass.

This isn't friggin' Ninja Gaiden where motorcycle ninjas under a large corporation are sent to steal a sword from Ryu's village.

I'd have to agree, the way the story is told in the God of War games is bad ass.

The-Warning said:
I agree and that's why I think good characters, dialogue and voice-acting is a lot more important than story in video games. Although these three aspects have improved greatly over the years, there's still a ways to go.

GoW was great because of it's presentation, a powerful character in Kratos, some cool lines here and there: "The Gods of Olympus have abandoned me, now there is no hope.." and some very good voice acting by TC Carson.

And Linda Hunt.

AniHawk

Actually, one of the main reasons I dislike GoW is Kratos. He's just an unlikeable main character in every way. He's like Jak from Jak II for slightly older people.

TheExodu5

Banned
AniHawk said:
Actually, one of the main reasons I dislike GoW is Kratos. He's just an unlikeable main character in every way. He's like Jak from Jak II for slightly older people.

Why wouldn't you like someone bad ass enough to offer a blood sacrifice by smashing a priests face into the altar a dozen times?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
AniHawk said:

WAT?!

scobur

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Why wouldn't you like someone bad ass enough to offer a blood sacrifice by smashing a priests face into the altar a dozen times?
I'm not fourteen, for one.

The gameplay is light and fun; the set pieces are often grand. The characters and storyline are pure garbage.

AniHawk

Choke on the Magic said:
What's unlikable? Serious question.
He's angry all the time. It's honestly tiring to follow him through an entire game. Plus, he sorta wimped out before the series even started when he asked Ares for a hand.

AniHawk said:
Actually, one of the main reasons I dislike GoW is Kratos.

Entirely reasonable. I don't really like Kratos either.

Well, I don't like "OMG BADASS" Kratos, anyway. It's kind of cool in the first game where he's really clearly supposed to be a jerk that you're not supposed to like, but I get the sense that's not really where they've taken the character from there. :lol

scoobs

God of war has a perfectly fine story and its well told. It also helps that it has incredible gameplay, which makes moving the story along even more entertaining. Also... more 720p 60fps remakes + trophies please sony!!

AniHawk said:
He's angry all the time. It's honestly tiring to follow him through an entire game.

Yeah, that I can agree with. He's a selfish, unlikable, angry guy and anytime he actually does something "good" it's just a side effect of some selfish act, usually revenge.

MrPliskin

Banned
Hopefully a lot of people support this, it would be awesome to see this go greatest hits, as it would encourage Sony to do the same with many other PS2 classics.

One game in particular I'd love to see get this treatment is FFXII, hopefully SE is watching (as well as other publishers).

It would be awesome to see an RE4 republished with Sony Wand control in 720p.

JCtheMC

in before GTA3/VC/SA HD Redux.

I hope this lights a fire under pub's asses so they realise what they're sitting on.

Big-E

Never got around to playing GOW II so I will pick this up plus I like the idea of other collections like this appearing in the future.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I'm with everyone else that wants it for ICO and SOTC. I've never played ICO before. And I'd love to play SOTC at 60 fps!!! ^_^

Edeuinu

500x_Team-Ico.jpg

Yes plz.

AAK

Kittonwy said:
COO assets are made for a much lower resolution.

Doesn't stop Namco:

PSP:

959886_20090819_screen002.jpg

PS3:

tekken6-screens.jpg

PSP:

god_of_war_chains_of_olympus_06-2l.jpg

PS3:

????

Besides, COO director did say that this game could always be ported to consoles... just like The Lost Frontier, Syphon Filter, and Size Matters.

Top Bottom