• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

Fantomas

Wow that's really sad. I just got into their stuff over the last like 8 months or so. Loved their GT Time podcast and all the silly bets they did.

:(

skynidas

Banned
5UjgBhX.jpg

Ooccoo

As someone who worked for Gamersyde, I can't imagine how losing your dream job at GT (which shares the high quality media of GY) must be. A huge loss for the industry at the age where video is more popular than ever (streaming). To think that GT got killed by itself (Twitch) is kinda unexpected.

RIP

edit: just to avoid confusion, I know Twitch is not literally GT, but the latter helped the former to come alive IMO.

Man, I hope these guys can find some way to stick together and do something on their own, because they're such a great counterpoint to the worn out cynicism of the majority of games media.

I think Brandon Jones could jump over to Siftd if he wants, since he apparently is really close to the Siftd studio (which might be Shane Satterfield's house).

Andrefpvs

...We'll never get The Last Guardian, Shenmue 3, Persona 5, FF7 Remake reviews from GameTrailers...

.........fuck.

Slashlen

Not shocked as they've been continuously moved/downsized over the last few years, but it's really sad. GT had all of my favorite weekly shows like GT Time and Final Bosman.

Pachinko

Somehow I knew this was coming but I had hoped it wouldn't be this fast. It seems anytime I genuinely enjoy a website , its people and its content it gets curtailed within a year or 2. The shift towards positive attitudes GT had was always refreshing in a sea of negativity and cynicism , these people were just fun to watch and listen talk about videogames and such.

Hopefully in the near future , everyone now out of work can find something else to do. I want to see more of Kyle Bossman , Micheal P Huber, Ben Moore, Daniel Bloodworth , Brandon Jones , Ian Hinck , Don along with everyone else that helped make great content within those walls.

I'm kind of sad Kyle now has to live with his last episode of final bossman being one where he was suffering from an eye infection :( (or whatever that was).

Games media has lost yet another good one today :(

Cardon

Terrible news. Always liked the site and I thought that the quality stayed consistently good despite the changes, both on air and behind the scenes, that occured.

Rongolian

Banned
So strange that there was no warning :(

Did another company buy their assets and plan on relaunching the company as a new entity? It seems so strange to close so suddenly unless there was a buyout or outstanding debt.

Bosman we need you

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I have to admit I never watched their reviews because people here would always warn how spoiler heavy they are. Still, I'm in disbelief that they just closed up the shop like that.

GeoramA

I doubt any of these guys stay unemployed for long. These are some very talented and passionate people here.

Still, no Gametrailers.com anymore. Damn.

Qblivion

That's a bummer. It never really followed them but from what content I did see it was mostly good. I hope they all find work again soon.

rselig1974

Neo Member
Damn.. They were my favorite. This will keep happening to sites since so many people adblock them and take away their primary source of revenue. Such a bummer.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
No more good, passionate games media left.

Just terrible screeching puerile shit streaming over Youtube from now until the end of time I guess. Fuck Defy and their terrible shit.

I'd chip in a chunk if they GiantBomb'd up and kept the group together as they were really something special.

Wow. Why would their parent company let them completely redo their website if they knew they were going to shut them down? And it was such a slick redesign, too! Good luck to them all. I hope they find work quickly and go to places that let them be themselves.

People ask what happened? If you ask me, ADD BLOCKER happened. They even had video's commenting about people blocking adds and stuff. I'm sure the site closing is not entirely just because of that, but that can REALLY hurt videogame websites.

JayEH

What the hell? That came out of nowhere. :(

They were really putting out good content the last couple of years.

What in the living fuck?

Were they struggling financially?

Were their hits down?

Are they owned by a bigger company that just pulled the plug on them or something?

What the hell is going on, and why is this happening seemingly out of nowhere?

jon_i634

Banned
Man, I remember going there all the time back in the mid/late 2000s. What a bummer. Hope everyone there lands on their feet.

Matush

:( GT was one of the few outlets I've been following for years, I can't believe it's ending. Their daily shows were my go to, very very sad news. Also most of the very very passionate about the gaming as a whole, which is very hard to find in the outlets nowadays.

If anyone from GT staff is reading this, best of luck to everyone. (Blood, Heuber, Jones, Moore, Hinck, Ellis and everyone else I forgot)

Top Bottom