• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT2| Ashes to Ashes, Peer to Peer

lush

I'm the Y-buttoner of my group. If I have the opportunity, I will rip off your arm/punch you in the face until the execution is complete. If you use the SOS/Chainsaw exclusively then I will go out of my way to do so, even if an enemy/objective is in range.

Kill stealing is pretty damn stupid, especially the stupidly obvious ones where someone will waste a boomshot on the downed kill that they straight up know you dropped. That's online mulitplayer though.

Shoogoo

I just tried Horde mode with my wife for the first time (offline & casual difficulty) and we kept facing those mounted locust, flying tickers things and wretches -sorry I don't know their names- and it felt like a bore at wave 5. Why only 3 different type of locusts?!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I just tried Horde mode with my wife for the first time (offline & casual difficulty) and we kept facing those mounted locust, flying tickers things and wretches -sorry I don't know their names- and it felt like a bore at wave 5. Why only 3 different type of locusts?!

There's some kind of event going on. I know, I wish it wouldn't do that for private matches, or at least give it some kind of toggle when you want normal horde.

Shoogoo

An event? I didnt see anything announced.

Thanks though, that explains it I guess. It was pretty shitty I thought, at least for someone who wanted to show to a casual gamer what horde is about.

Raged something shocking last night for the first time in a while. Made me feel like a damn fool :(. Were the Ghost Recon beta as smooth as Gears', I wouldn't have to crawl back to this game for a while. Goddamn love/hate relationships!

mernst23

Ok, finished up my horde medals on Friday. Level 82 (First Re-Up), 59/65 Onyx Medals

4950/5000 Assists
4800/6000 Lancer Kills
2/3 Rifle Onyxes
2750/3000 First Bloods
2600/6000 Gnasher Kills
3/5 Starting Weapon Onyxes

I should get 3 more today and be at 62. My guess for Seriously 3.0 is going to be next Tuesday or Wednesday. Just in time to let me play Batman for 2 weeks before Diablo 3.

Edit: Also, the 5x executions is nice. If you finish a round with a head punch or arm rip execution its like 650 xp now. Very nice indeed.

I'm a little confused by the DLC.

If I just play Warzone, and want all the available Warzone maps, which DLCs do I need to buy? Seems like some are for just single player and some are just for Horde mode? WTF?

TIA
EDIT: didn't see an answer on the last page. Here's the answer:

You'll need the third and fourth DLCs; Fenix Rising and Forces of Nature.

Thanks!

Montresor

Am I the only person that really liked Raams Shadow? Feels that way sometimes.

Plenty of people love Raam's Shadow. I think it's up there among the best DLC on the entire system this gen (joining Bioshock 2's Minerva's Den, GTA IV's Ballad of Gay Tony, Deus Ex's Missing Link).

God I just love it when a DLC campaign is as good or better than the main campaign, and that was the case with Raam's Shadow.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Plenty of people love Raam's Shadow. I think it's up there among the best DLC on the entire system this gen (joining Bioshock 2's Minerva's Den, GTA IV's Ballad of Gay Tony, Deus Ex's Missing Link).

God I just love it when a DLC campaign is as good or better than the main campaign, and that was the case with Raam's Shadow.

Oh fuck no. RAAM's shadow was a repetitive borefest.

Gears has come back into my rotation after a couple of months and I was wondering if any changes to the retro have occurred? it doesn't feel as effective.

Did they make it so you can only access the weekend events if you have the Forces of Nature DLC? I need like 4 more weekend events for my achievement but I don't plan on buying Forces of Nature at any point.

I'm a little confused by the DLC.

If I just play Warzone, and want all the available Warzone maps, which DLCs do I need to buy? Seems like some are for just single player and some are just for Horde mode? WTF?

TIA
EDIT: didn't see an answer on the last page. Here's the answer:

Thanks!

don't forget to download the free booster map pack that includes Clocktower and BulletMarsh

mernst23

So i've been playing a lot of guardian recently. Is it just me or does this give a ridiculous amount of XP? I was trucking along playing a lot of good matches getting 5k xp - 9k xp per game and then i wound up playing a team that was playing 4 people guarding the leader on defense on aftermath.

The jumped out to a 2-1 lead and the round I was leader I got something like 14 kills (including the leader kill) and ended up with like 27 kills on the match. We won the last round and I got something ridiculous like 15-16k xp.

I'm upto level 84 (1st prestige) with only 3 onyxes to go, 120 more first bloods and 3000 gnasher kills from finally closing out.

don't forget to download the free booster map pack that includes Clocktower and BulletMarsh

Yep, got that one thanks. Actually it forces you to download it if you play Warzone. I haven't bought any of the packs yet. So far I've been entertained by the free one and the stock maps.

I have to say I'm drooling over Raven Down though, really want that one. Just can't justify the price yet though. Loved that map in Gears1.

lush

Been getting a crazy amount of XP for executions here this past week. You get 607 XP for a full Y-button execution(beating with arm/punching in face).

That's how it always should've been.

gRN0Q.jpg

GearsWeekend - party hats and Boomshot/Digger starting weapons

kinda lame, it's all good though. Epic is one of the best when it comes to supporting it community

Gnashes

Neo Member
gRN0Q.jpg

GearsWeekend - party hats and Boomshot/Digger starting weapons

kinda lame, it's all good though. Epic is one of the best when it comes to supporting it community

Yeah, the party hats are to celebrate the birthday of one of their forum admins.

I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet, hopefully this evening I'll get in a few matches.

malfcn

I am a believer that without all the monetized skins, more of the crowd would have stayed.

And I am convinced I am somehow playing this game wrong: Shooting people multiple times with a hard aimed gnasher point blank always looses to a random scrub sniping with a gnasher from across the map. The game rewards shitty players.

P.S. Threw a smoke at a planted grenade half way across a map. It detonated and somehow killed me. Win.

mernst23

For all this talk about BS in the game I just don't see it. More often than not when I die it's because i'm getting teamed up on or someone puts better shots on me. I mean, if the dedicateds are down that's a different story but that rarely seems to be the case.

On another note, got onyx number 63 last night. 1750 gnasher kills gets me my gnasher onyx and master at arms, and I'm level 92 now. I'm so close to finishing this thing off now.

malfcn

I have 15Mb and 19 ping (obviously not to their 'servers') and I have the game roll back and do all kinds of crazy shit when I play.
And with some clown going 20-3 on the other team.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure if I'm missing something today, but in my multiplayer selection list, some of the people are moved up like I lost a character, but I can't think of who it is. :/ Anyone else?

TRios Zen

For all this talk about BS in the game I just don't see it. More often than not when I die it's because i'm getting teamed up on or someone puts better shots on me. I mean, if the dedicateds are down that's a different story but that rarely seems to be the case.

On another note, got onyx number 63 last night. 1750 gnasher kills gets me my gnasher onyx and master at arms, and I'm level 92 now. I'm so close to finishing this thing off now.

Man I wish I could agree with you, but I can not. I've lost my fair share of shotgun battles, hell I've been outplayed many times before in this game - there are better players than I am, no doubt. But too many times over the last week or so it's been clear that in every match there are one or two players who have a clear advantage, and that advantage has not always been skill.

I wish I could say I've never blasted someone in the back from a foot away and had them shake it off like it was nothing. It'd be great if three bullets from a retro wouldn't immediately put me down, yet 3/4 of a clip from my retro in the opponent seems to do no damage.

I've grown very jaded with this game last 3-4 days; I feel like even when my team wins, it's not because we are better than the other team... we just have a better connection. Probably need a break, will devote more time to some SP games, then come back refreshed.

Congrats on getting close to Seriously 3.0 though - crazy dedication there son!

malfcn

It'd be great if three bullets from a retro wouldn't immediately put me down, yet 3/4 of a clip from my retro in the opponent seems to do no damage.

I get this every time. Why can certain people sponge an entire clip on someone, even when they are dbno and never die? Other people just look or breath on you and go full red or gib.

I've playing through the campaign right now and have a story question. I'll mark it as spoiler just in case.

How and why is the queen Locust look human? I've played the other two and don't remember much about then storywise. Other than what was said during the video you can watch to catch up.

I've playing through the campaign right now and have a story question. I'll mark it as spoiler just in case.

How and why is the queen Locust look human? I've played the other two and don't remember much about then storywise. Other than what was said during the video you can watch to catch up.

You never find out why.

Gnashes

Neo Member

Read "The Slab" that releases next week. Rumor has that we find out why in there.

mernst23

So, finally got my seriously 3.0 on Saturday. What a long strange road it's been. My stats are completely decimated from all the boosting with the exception of only online game modes, I'm a 2nd prestige level 1. I entered saturday as being a high 98/almost 99 with 550 gnasher kills to go. Knocked 540 of them out in an offline KOTH match in about an hour, then went online and finished off them which got me my gnasher medal, master at arms, and seriously (it popped before I hit 100 the second time), and next thing I know I had 60k xp from the medals towards level 99 so I only had to play 5-6 more guardian matches to be done with the full 2000.

I don't know where I go from here. I bought Gears 1 like 5 months after it came out, me and my roommate spent an entire summer in college playing to get my 10k (actually 13.5) online kills for seriously 1. Seriously 2 was a joke because of the Brumak riding but Epic really got me back with Veteran Gear. By the time I got that, there was only 1 3x event in the history of the game, and we were lucky to get 2xp once a month. It took me a solid 3 months of guardian boosting to get that. It was ridiculous. And finally, this game, which I contend has medals that are impossible to get without boosting. I've never executed a nemesis, hell I've had maybe 7-10 chances with all the playing I did. I'm glad it's done. And I'm taking a very long hiatus from the game, 6 months to a year. I did the same thing with Gears 2 after I burned myself out to finish the full 1750 and surprisingly I was able to squeeze another 2-3 fun months out of Gears 2 with the community dying.

Granted if DLC comes out I might change my mind but that all depends on what they are hawking. Goodbye Gears, at least for awhile; so many other good games i've ignored because of you and my manic need to complete everything in all Gears of War games. Maybe if I have a moment of weakness I'll buy Gears 1 on PC, but we'll see about that.

ok, so I just got a new xbox, haven't played since phoenix rising hit. Can someone bring me up to speed with how things have gone in this game?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
btw, Mernst...You did it, congratulations on a well deserved vacation. :)

malfcn

Had a good day the other afternoon with a buddy. There was the usual bullshit, but for the most part the game was smooth. I really feel like Epic trolled the community with the medals and achievements for 3 though.

Oh, and Best Buy has the "Limited" run of 150,000? Epic Edition for $60 right now. So feel not ripped off for paying for it release night. There were barely anyone in line and I was the only person to buy an EE.

Oh, and Best Buy has the "Limited" run of 150,000? Epic Edition for $60 right now. So feel not ripped off for paying for it release night. There were barely anyone in line and I was the only person to buy an EE.
Epic & MS overproduced the hell out of those LE and Epic Editions. Fuck, I saw Epic Editions go for 40-ish pounds, brand new and sealed. wtf? so sad.

Top Bottom