• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT2| Ashes to Ashes, Peer to Peer

I'm getting rather sick of all the quitters in Horde Mode.
IMHO, you should never play Horde with strangers. That mode requires cooperation and I personally can't play with strangers precisely because of their unpredictability (read: quitting).
I play Horde with friends ONLY.

IMHO, you should never play Horde with strangers. That mode requires cooperation and I personally can't play with strangers precisely because of their unpredictability (read: quitting).
I play Horde with friends ONLY.

That would be great but all my friends that were playing got the game at launch and are not playing anymore. It has made me stop playing the game. I wish it would show a percentage of your quitting so you could avoid people with a high quit ratio.

TRios Zen

Does anyone play this game anymore?

I need some new Gears teammates to run with - usually play 10:00PM Central time. if you are interested in playing (versus is my fix) post here or pm me.

Even with all the bullshit and craziness this game brings, I just haven't found anything that matches the visceral feel this game provides.

smik

Does anyone play this game anymore?

Gears 3 is surprisingly dying really quickly and im astonished how low the Player base is, atm im
finding myself getting kinda bored with Gears 3 already.

Playing team deathmatch over ,& over, & again has really burnt out the Gears experience/gameplay imo,
although tdm is the popular game mode i think its definitively contributed to Gears 3 getting stale quickly due to respawning.

also there is noone playing Warzone, Execution, wingman or ranked of any kind im my region :/

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Afterall, TDM is not what Gears is was about. What pulled me into Gears was the no-respawn style that made every round of play important and detrimental to how you need to play. The fact that TDM dominates Gears is telling of what's happening now.

Execution and Warzone 4 Lyfe.

TRios Zen

Gears 3 is surprisingly dying really quickly and im astonished how low the Player base is, atm im
finding myself getting kinda bored with Gears 3 already.

Playing team deathmatch over ,& over, & again has really burnt out the Gears experience/gameplay imo,
although tdm is the popular game mode i think its definitively contributed to Gears 3 getting stale quickly due to respawning.

also there is noone playing Warzone, Execution, wingman or ranked of any kind im my region :/

I played the hell out of execution in Gears 1 & 2 - it was the only mode I played. However I have played very little of anything BUT TDM in Gears 3. Though, to be fair, it's because that is the preferred mode of the group that I played with and I'd always rather play with a team.

There are still decent numbers of players in my region, which I guess I should be thankful for, but it sucks going solo into every match.

Horde for $5 and RAAM's for $7.5 this week.

Looks like it's finally time to get RAAM, hello there elite theron.

Am I the only one that loves KOTH? I mean it often came down to 10 people running into a circle with shotguns but at least it gives the players a specific goal so even without a mic players can still attempt to setup some sort of team defense/offense

malfcn

Took a week off, and it's back to garbage. Body someone 4 times, while they just sponge and gib me. Gears is the best, and the worst game. Just depends how it feels like running.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Took a week off, and it's back to garbage. Body someone 4 times, while they just sponge and gib me. Gears is the best, and the worst game. Just depends how it feels like running.

Yeah, unfortunately those familiar with the game are so used to getting bullshitted it's a known "game mechanic."

TRios Zen

Trying to play TDM right now (10:15 Central time) and it's been searching for matches for 3+ minutes?

WTF Gears? I'm one player, you can't find a single match to put me in?

Update: Gears MAtchmaking just put me in a room by myself, with 9 bots after resetting matchmaking and waiting another 3+ minutes. I feel like someone is TRYING to not let me play...

Natural

Can happily say I'm done with gears now. Only thing that kept me playing was to finish Horde in one sitting and I finally did wave 1-50 of Horde (with randoms too) yesterday on Hotel. TDM is decent in bursts, but for the time being I think I'm going to bow out.

nel e nel

Am I the only one that loves KOTH? I mean it often came down to 10 people running into a circle with shotguns but at least it gives the players a specific goal so even without a mic players can still attempt to setup some sort of team defense/offense

Hello! I've also been racking up some serious time in Guardian on the Forces of Nature playlist as well.

I play KOTH almost exclusively. Played it on Gears 2 also (alongside Annex). My personal favorite game in Gears.

razu

I would play this more if I could pick the map.

For a company that prided itself on providing editors for its games, you'd think they'd be all pro-choice.

Next time:

Matchmaking as default, plus out-of-the-way option to spawn a game with your own settings, that gets put into the pool of people who just choose match-making. But, as you started it, you get to pick the next map... It's not difficult.

map q3dm17 BAM!!!

Now look at what we have...

mernst23

I would play this more if I could pick the map.

For a company that prided itself on providing editors for its games, you'd think they'd be all pro-choice.

Next time:

Matchmaking as default, plus out-of-the-way option to spawn a game with your own settings, that gets put into the pool of people who just choose match-making. But, as you started it, you get to pick the next map... It's not difficult.

map q3dm17 BAM!!!

Now look at what we have...

I loved Gears 1 multiplayer setup, simple, basic; I choose what I wanted to play and for how long.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I still play it every night, this is the only shooter I care about at the moment, I've dropped everything else until maybe Halo 4.

Despite the times when the servers are off, when they're on, I love this game to death. A shame that more people aren't playing it though, it definitely deserves much more.

And no, KOTH is my number one mode as well, even kept my W/L ratio above 10.0 in it too until I started gambling and playing with worthless teammates so now it's down to like 9.8 or so.

Now I'm playing more Guardian because even though I win there as well, I don't get as pissed off with bad teammates there, plus there's much more XP to be made there than in KOTH in a shorter amount of time.

Just came across this really odd membership related problem. Started up Gears today, noticed that my gold membership expired, so I went on my computer to renew my membership. Paid online, got the gold membership, everything looks fine, but the game doesn't seem to detect the gold membership at all. It still assumes I'm using a free account so my party type is constantly at local, I even opened up the party menu and it says I need a gold membership. I tried other games and they all work fine. I tried logging off or turning the console off and none of them worked. Help is appreciated

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Just came across this really odd membership related problem. Started up Gears today, noticed that my gold membership expired, so I went on my computer to renew my membership. Paid online, got the gold membership, everything looks fine, but the game doesn't seem to detect the gold membership at all. It still assumes I'm using a free account so my party type is constantly at local, I even opened up the party menu and it says I need a gold membership. I tried other games and they all work fine. I tried logging off or turning the console off and none of them worked. Help is appreciated

This can happen if you update your Gold via Xbox.com since it seems that it doesn't update right away - every other thing you do there does though.

Happened to me a couple of months ago too, all you have to do is go to the Xbox Live connection test and run a test which makes it update right away, then restart the 360 and then you'll have Gold active there.

No thanks. With it's almost nonexistent dedicated servers and horrible lag the last thing I need is a 500ms ping to someone in <insert far away country>.

I will never forget getting matched up with people in countries I didn't even know had Xbox Live in Gears of War 2.

No thanks. With it's almost nonexistent dedicated servers and horrible lag the last thing I need is a 500ms ping to someone in <insert far away country>.

Even on dedicated servers, some people would get an insane advantage. If one team is in UK and the other is in USA, for example, then the team that was playing closest to the current server would obliterate the other team.

Even on dedicated servers, some people would get an insane advantage. If one team is in UK and the other is in USA, for example, then the team that was playing closest to the current server would obliterate the other team.
exactly. I assume it's established by now that Gears has the worst netcode of all the "popular" MP games. And I say that having played Gears 2 & 3 for hundreds of hours. Shame, because I adore that franchise but that fucking lag killed the joy out of most of my matches. :/

Damn It was around 1200 people on TDM tonight. Played a few matches on stranded TDM on forces of nature playlist though and it got full after one round.

It's crazy how the number of people playing fell off as I find the gameplay VERY satisfying.

Kydd BlaZe

Damn It was around 1200 people on TDM tonight. Played a few matches on stranded TDM on forces of nature playlist though and it got full after one round.

It's crazy how the number of people playing fell off as I find the gameplay VERY satisfying.

Yeah, it's pretty sad. I can't explain how or why this game fell off the way it did, as I feel as though it is the best online shooter on the market.

Yeah, it's pretty sad. I can't explain how or why this game fell off the way it did, as I feel as though it is the best online shooter on the market.

Difficulty has gotta be a big reason. I know a lot of people who mainly play CoD who picked up Gears 3, beat the campaign, and dropped the MP after a month or so because they said it was too hard. Gears definitely is more punishing than most online shooters on the Xbox.

Wow every time I come in here I see everyone saying how shitty the netcode is or how nobody plays the game anymore, now I'm depressed.

I never use a headset, I hardly have friends who play xbox, but this game just makes me want to buy a headset and start playing with a party that actually communicates. I can just imagine it, I can actually play execution/warzone and have fun, no more spawning behind me, no more accidentally running into mobs of enemies, no more running into a hill piece-meal and get picked off, we can have coordinated offense/defense, we can support each other, rifles will actually be as good as people say when enemies don't just sneak up behind me all the time.

I'm by no means good, but once I got a taste of what this game has to offer, I'm hooked

Lunchbox

Banned
who were the suckers that expected more dlc for this dead ass game?

youre lucky they actually went and made 4 like they said instead of taking the season pass money and running like i expected

go buy black ops 2 and preorder fortnight

malfcn

Game died in under a year. Really sad to see how the mighty franchise fell. Instead, there is COD1-10 dominating. Kind of sickening.

I think a lot of Gears fans are in it for the campaign. It seemed like the numbers were really high in campaign for a few weeks and then it began dropping off. The multiplayer is just too hard for the majority of kids on XBL who like shooters.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Why am I the only one that apparently knew that they said months ago that the only DLC that would be coming was everything that was covered with the Season Pass? This isn't new, at least not for me.

Instead of spreading it out long, they put out 4 packs in a relatively short amount of time, which is fine with me since I still haven't gotten tired of the content at all, and I play every day.

I still think the comments about Epic abandoning the game or bullshit like Epic took the money and ran are stupid as hell because it's clear that the game doesn't have the userbase it deserves because the game is simply too hard for casuals. There are still so many bad people in this game, and they get absolutely destroyed by vets in this game. I'd imagine that this is why so many people keep playing CoD despite the bitching about it every year with such a low learning curve and ease to kill compared to Gears' steep curve. Problem is none of us actual Gears players don't want them to make the game anymore casual-friendly than it already is now, but it's those very casuals that eat up new games.

Why am I the only one that apparently knew that they said months ago that the only DLC that would be coming was everything that was covered with the Season Pass? This isn't new, at least not for me.

Instead of spreading it out long, they put out 4 packs in a relatively short amount of time, which is fine with me since I still haven't gotten tired of the content at all, and I play every day.

I still think the comments about Epic abandoning the game or bullshit like Epic took the money and ran are stupid as hell because it's clear that the game doesn't have the userbase it deserves because the game is simply too hard for casuals. There are still so many bad people in this game, and they get absolutely destroyed by vets in this game. I'd imagine that this is why so many people keep playing CoD despite the bitching about it every year with such a low learning curve and ease to kill compared to Gears' steep curve. Problem is none of us actual Gears players don't want them to make the game anymore casual-friendly than it already is now, but it's those very casuals that eat up new games.

Rod said that they wanted to make more, and that you should never say never and so on. They didn't make it official, but if you read between the lines it was pretty clear that there wouldn't be more DLC.

About the dwindling user base... I can definitely see a new Gears where they don't even ship it with any kind of deathmatch multiplayer. The campaign and horde mode are what most players care about anyway. I think that campaign and horde DLC would be quite successful as well.

Top Bottom