• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT2| Ashes to Ashes, Peer to Peer

Why am I the only one that apparently knew that they said months ago that the only DLC that would be coming was everything that was covered with the Season Pass? This isn't new, at least not for me.

Instead of spreading it out long, they put out 4 packs in a relatively short amount of time, which is fine with me since I still haven't gotten tired of the content at all, and I play every day.

I still think the comments about Epic abandoning the game or bullshit like Epic took the money and ran are stupid as hell because it's clear that the game doesn't have the userbase it deserves because the game is simply too hard for casuals. There are still so many bad people in this game, and they get absolutely destroyed by vets in this game. I'd imagine that this is why so many people keep playing CoD despite the bitching about it every year with such a low learning curve and ease to kill compared to Gears' steep curve. Problem is none of us actual Gears players don't want them to make the game anymore casual-friendly than it already is now, but it's those very casuals that eat up new games.

me and thousands of other people thought more DLC was coming because Rod said if if there was demand for more content they would produce it. I thought for sure they would put out one more map pack and the Epic forums assumed this was true as well. I also find it odd that gears2 has more maps than 3.

Gnashes

Neo Member
New game info just got leaked, but Epic deleted the thread fast as hell.

If legit, looks pretty damn cool imo.

-PXG-

Gnashes, you better have saved those pics.

Oh, and fuck responsibilities. I need to renew my Gold STAT!

I miss playing with you guys. Working, arting, getting in shaping and girlfriending take up too much time :p

Gnashes

Neo Member
Why would you post this then not elaborate?

I had to go do a few things, and I was still scraping together the bits and pieces as I posted that.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...ust-cover-story-is-the-next-gears-of-war.aspx

^^^ Link to GI article

http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/911877-Gears-of-War-Judgment-coming-at-e3!!!!

^^^ Thread on Epic Forums (I'll be on it pretty regularly. Will update on any official news)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476245&page=7

^^^ Another thread with more info/discussion.

derFeef

Sorry for not playing you earlier Gears 3, you are awesome.
Would be glad to have some Horde action sometime, but I better not try with strangers.

Act I teased me though, kinda bored again with Marcus as playing Cole was a anice change.

zlatko

Banned
So aside from the new game being about Baird and Cole, what can we expect so far? 2013 send off for 360 I'm sure in the fall/winter, but I just need to know what the MP will be like. I don't know what they can do to improve upon from Gears 3 really. Sure they can scrap the SOS if they like, retain Dedi's, a few new weapons if need be, but Gears 3 as complete as it is, did not get me hooked at all.

No clue why, but Gears 1 is the only Gears game that was a straight drip of cocaine to me, and sad to say but I played Gears 2 even more than 3, yet I hated 2 more than any other game alive.

I wonder what the secret recipe for crack addiction will be here in judgement.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
So aside from the new game being about Baird and Cole, what can we expect so far? 2013 send off for 360 I'm sure in the fall/winter, but I just need to know what the MP will be like. I don't know what they can do to improve upon from Gears 3 really. Sure they can scrap the SOS if they like, retain Dedi's, a few new weapons if need be, but Gears 3 as complete as it is, did not get me hooked at all.

No clue why, but Gears 1 is the only Gears game that was a straight drip of cocaine to me, and sad to say but I played Gears 2 even more than 3, yet I hated 2 more than any other game alive.

I wonder what the secret recipe for crack addiction will be here in judgement.
One word: Playlists.

I don't see how there aren't more complaints about this. I'm not sure why the fuck Epic decided to go with matchmaking. But with the type of game Gears is, Playlists are SO MUCH BETTER.

I want to be able to choose my rounds, my gametype, AND my map. I don't want to be thrown into shit I don't want to do. I want to gather my friends, get in a party, and pick what we want. We're willing to wait it out.

When Gears 1 was first out, there wasn't even a party feature in XBL. We had to like, communicate to get into one game if there was more than one person I was playing with. Otherwise it was private chat and both search for the same thing, then find it according to certain parameters. Even having to go through that, it was still more enjoyable because at the end of the day we got what we wanted. Not what the game chose for us. With parties now implemented (on XBL AND in Gears)...playlists would just be fucking wonderful. Fuck matchmaking.

When Gears 1 was first out, there wasn't even a party feature in XBL. We had to like, communicate to get into one game if there was more than one person I was playing with. Otherwise it was private chat and both search for the same thing, then find it according to certain parameters. Even having to go through that, it was still more enjoyable because at the end of the day we got what we wanted. Not what the game chose for us. With parties now implemented (on XBL AND in Gears)...playlists would just be fucking wonderful. Fuck matchmaking.

Yeah, and the majority fucking hated it, which is why they went to matchmaking. You must have not been on Epic's forums when Gears 1 was fresh. Literally every post for almost 6 months was flaming Epic's "old ass server browsers" instead of "matchmaking like Halo 2".

And I agreed with them. The server browser thing was fucking stupid and horribly outdated, even for 2006.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Yeah, and the majority fucking hated it, which is why they went to matchmaking. You must have not been on Epic's forums when Gears 1 was fresh. Literally every post for almost 6 months was flaming Epic's "old ass server browsers" instead of "matchmaking like Halo 2".

And I agreed with them. The server browser thing was fucking stupid and horribly outdated, even for 2006.
Well that's a shame considering that matchmaking is terrible. I like choosing my map.

eGregiovs

Neo Member
“I’m willing to admit when I’m wrong” says Cliff Bleszinski
http://www.gamestm.co.uk/discuss/im-willing-to-admit-when-im-wrong-says-cliff-bleszinski/

No more sawn off?

On the multiplayer side we learned that with each sequel there’s always a risk of upsetting traditional fans by adding in new guns. If I could go back in time I would remove the sawed-off shotgun. Yes, I’m willing to admit when I’m wrong.

^^This is all I care about^^
Epic can keep it in the campaign & horde.

zlatko

Banned
I have 0 faith in Judgement being worth a shit. So maybe it WON'T suck since I was auto hyped for Gears 2 and 3. Who knows?

Gears 3 doesn't suck, but I could not for the life of me get addicted to it like I was Gears 1, and like I stated before I even played more Gears 2 than Gears 3 and I HATED Gears 2.

So far we have a shitty CG trailer and some new game type 2% of the Gears crowd gives a shit to play. I think the series may just be losing steam, and this game coming out so soon after Gears 3 really doesn't help them refuel the franchise.

They'll really have their work cut out for them here.

As for the Sawed off comments...well fuck you Cliff, sorry. It's a little late to start agreeing with people who kept rallying together and trying to show you the error of your ways, but in typical EPIC games fashion you don't listen till it's too late or you want to try to "redeem" yourselves in order to rehype people for your next game.

Your focus with Gears 3 should have been focusing on the core/hardcore, and THEN the casual. These people leave your game a month or two into it at best, and then who do you think buys your DLC? It's not the casual folks who keep coming back or giving it another chance.

Here's what I want out of judgement:

15 maps right out the gate. 8 old ones, 7 new ones.
*Pick the old ones through community votes. Let the Gears heads decide.

Better dedicated server support. Let me know when they are down in game. Let me maybe see my ping to the server in game when I hit BACK on my controller or Start where the menu is.

Another beta test...especially if you are adding new weapons, tweaking old ones. THEN LISTEN TO WTF the loudest voices are gathering around. If we say SOS is dumb and give you valid reasons to it, you should act accordingly not dismiss the arguments.

A Gears 1 classic play list. Try to recreate as much possible in this list. Lancer only with gnasher on spawn. Make the maps have the same weapon pick ups in the same spots. Only Gears 1 maps, so when those 8 old ones are voted on, make it 4-5 from Gears 1, and the rest from 2 or 3. Your best map design was in Gears 1 by faaaar.

To add to the classic list and what I read on this page, maybe the list could bring you to a page menu like Gears 1 to see what map, game type, ping, etc is with it, and then pick it.

Last, and most certainly not least, ditch party chat support entirely for that Gears 1 classic list. I want that authentic shit talking experience with strangers. I made my best gaming buddies through Gears smack talk days before party chat.

/end suggestions

I get more of my wants are not going to happen or seem like a good idea to most/EPIC as well. I'd rather it be said though and if by some miracle some of this comes to fruition I hope it was because I spoke up and not just let PCF and EPIC go on their own tangent once again.

OrangeOak

I have 0 faith in Judgement being worth a shit. So maybe it WON'T suck since I was auto hyped for Gears 2 and 3. Who knows?

Gears 3 doesn't suck, but I could not for the life of me get addicted to it like I was Gears 1, and like I stated before I even played more Gears 2 than Gears 3 and I HATED Gears 2.

Funny because, just like you, I'm not that hyped for Judgment like I was for 2 and 3 and deep in my heart I am hoping for the same things as you.

As for Gears 3, it is also the same for me. I have played Gears 1 like an addict for 4-5 years even long after Gears 2 release. Then despite how shitty it was I have played Gears 2 for a good amount of time.
Then Gears 3 came out and despite improved gameplay and dedicated servers I stoped after couple months. It is fun and I still play some arcade coop campaign and horde but it lacks this special thing.
Maybe it's nostalgia but when I play Gears 1 today from time to time there is still some magic in this game. It's not the same because many people have left and I'm pretty tired of this game but there is definitely something in that game.
TDM is also a reason why I burned out so fast with Gears 3. The tension from one life rounds is absent in TDM.
Back in Gears 1, there was excitement before every round, no matter what the score was. You were pumped every time you were leaving the respawn. Each round had the potential for some holy shit epic moments. Winning in 1vs2, 1vs3, 2vs4 scenarios, with the rest of your teammates spectating. Or just dominating the oposing team. It is all lost in TDM. You die, you respawn. Your teammates respawn right next to you. The enemies respawn on the other side of the map. You kill someone - who cares, he will be right back on the battlefield in a few seconds. There is only a glimpse, a mere fraction of the old competitive tension at the end of some rounds, when the respawns deplete. Nobody cares.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I could really care less about judgement to be honest. I don't care for Horde or Beast so this just seems like a horrible mistake.

razu

It lacks the special thing of being able to pick the fucking map and set the number of rounds... and 4 v 4 warzone, (5 v 5 fucks the game Cliff, it does, it does!!!). That's what it lacks! I played night after night of 19 round Fuel Depot/Mansion/Canals on Gears 1...

Cliffy B. If you're reading this, Gears 1 was the best. Make Gears 4 or whatever with the gfx of 3 but with the gameplay and player control of sessions of 1.

Admit diss and do dat...!!

razu

"Back in Gears 1, there was excitement before every round, no matter what the score was. You were pumped every time you were leaving the respawn. Each round had the potential for some holy shit epic moments. Winning in 1vs2, 1vs3, 2vs4 scenarios, with the rest of your teammates spectating. Or just dominating the oposing team. It is all lost in TDM. You die, you respawn. Your teammates respawn right next to you. The enemies respawn on the other side of the map. You kill someone - who cares, he will be right back on the battlefield in a few seconds. There is only a glimpse, a mere fraction of the old competitive tension at the end of some rounds, when the respawns deplete. Nobody cares."

This!

It was also the time of a ton of people using their mics. The cross game comms killed that dead.

eGregiovs

Neo Member
Ah, the Gears 1 nostalgia.

Late nite player matches -- Annex, 240, three rounds. Rotating among Raven Down, War Machine, Mansion, Process, Fuel Depot & Subway.

Ah, the Gears 1 nostalgia.

Late nite player matches -- Annex, 240, three rounds. Rotating among Raven Down, War Machine, Mansion, Process, Fuel Depot & Subway.

And using private chat to coordinate ranked matches with friends.

"HEY RANDOM. GO TO LOCUST."

And playing 20 War Machine games straight to get my Torque Bow achievement.

good fucking times. Gears 1 was the first online game I got into.

smik

TDM is also a reason why I burned out so fast with Gears 3. The tension from one life rounds is absent in TDM.
Back in Gears 1, there was excitement before every round, no matter what the score was. You were pumped every time you were leaving the respawn. Each round had the potential for some holy shit epic moments. Winning in 1vs2, 1vs3, 2vs4 scenarios, with the rest of your teammates spectating. Or just dominating the oposing team. It is all lost in TDM. You die, you respawn. Your teammates respawn right next to you. The enemies respawn on the other side of the map. You kill someone - who cares, he will be right back on the battlefield in a few seconds. There is only a glimpse, a mere fraction of the old competitive tension at the end of some rounds, when the respawns deplete. Nobody cares.

All of this.

This post exemplifys what the true MP expereince was all the time , now in Gears of War 3 the gameplay has undeniable burnt out rather quickly due to TDM (constant respawning) the loss of tension is painstakingly apparent, the excitementfrom round to round has all disappeared and im now im given the "COD" mentally of - ive played this all before-.

TDM has sadly, hampered GOW3.
it has effectively ruined countless map structures/designs and due to EPIC chosing to lead tdm as the main MP mode, they cater to much to respawns and fears of team spawn trapping hence ruining alot of the maps.

sadly i have yet to play in a execution/warzone match since the first couple of weeks of launch, the playlist is dead for many reasons but not because of the gametype.

A Choice needs to be made for Execution/Warzone as they should be the forefront modes for Gears of War, either tdm should be taken out entirely and further down the playlist to avoid people going by the players in region numbers (stupid ik, but true)

zlatko

Banned
And using private chat to coordinate ranked matches with friends.

"HEY RANDOM. GO TO LOCUST."

And playing 20 War Machine games straight to get my Torque Bow achievement.

good fucking times. Gears 1 was the first online game I got into.

The only other shooter I got into like I did Gears 1 was Metal Gear Online.

You know what they share in common? You have to pick a game to join and see host settings, as well as you talk in game chat with others.

These two things matter to me a lot more than I thought as time has gone on. Quick match is nice and all, but it just starts to feel like I'm going through a grinder of sorts.

I NEED that community aspect and I want to just grind 1 or 2 maps all day sometimes. That's just how I am. Sometimes a map is so good that I don't care about the rest of the map pool. Gridlock and Subway were those maps for me in Gears 1.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
One word: Playlists.

I don't see how there aren't more complaints about this. I'm not sure why the fuck Epic decided to go with matchmaking. But with the type of game Gears is, Playlists are SO MUCH BETTER.

I want to be able to choose my rounds, my gametype, AND my map. I don't want to be thrown into shit I don't want to do. I want to gather my friends, get in a party, and pick what we want. We're willing to wait it out.

I will echo this post again and also add: Fuck TDM. It ruins what makes Gears great and epic.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Funny because, just like you, I'm not that hyped for Judgment like I was for 2 and 3 and deep in my heart I am hoping for the same things as you.

As for Gears 3, it is also the same for me. I have played Gears 1 like an addict for 4-5 years even long after Gears 2 release. Then despite how shitty it was I have played Gears 2 for a good amount of time.
Then Gears 3 came out and despite improved gameplay and dedicated servers I stoped after couple months. It is fun and I still play some arcade coop campaign and horde but it lacks this special thing.
Maybe it's nostalgia but when I play Gears 1 today from time to time there is still some magic in this game. It's not the same because many people have left and I'm pretty tired of this game but there is definitely something in that game.

So what's the problem? Warzone and Execution playlists are still there, hell, Alpha EXE is still there with 4 v 4 and Lancer & Gnasher.

Just don't choose TDM and go to the ones you want then.
I will echo this post again and also add: Fuck TDM. It ruins what makes Gears great and epic.

Playlists were added because people were complaining about stacked teams in Gears 1, and matchmaking solved it. It only happened because they listened to their fans, what can you say about that?

I too liked being able to choose my maps, but even I was guilty of stacking teams with friends so I can imagine how it was to be playing solo and get rocked by a team with the amount of people I've made quit in Gears 1.

And again, single-life playlists are still there in Gears 3, and if anything, TDM filters out the casuals from those modes, most of the best competition are in those single-life playlists.

I need to get back in Gears 3, I'm like around lvl70 or more. I still need help on unlocking Savage Theron Guard. But my xbl expired.

OrangeOak

So what's the problem? Warzone and Execution playlists are still there, hell, Alpha EXE is still there with 4 v 4 and Lancer & Gnasher.

Just don't choose TDM and go to the ones you want then.

Problem is that nobody is playing these playlists and I can't find matches there.Waiting for over 10 minutes(a lot longer at night) for a match is not fun at all.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Problem is that nobody is playing these playlists and I can't find matches there.Waiting for over 10 minutes(a lot longer at night) for a match is not fun at all.

Where's your location? Weekdays into the wee hours of the early morning the population is low in Europe, but every night I'm watching streams on Twitch and they are usually very active in the US. With very good competition I might add.

That's why I brought up the TDM point, because for the occasions where I don't have a full team, which happens a lot more often lately, it really annoys me to have teammates that can't hang with the rest of the players in the game.

i've been online playing tdm for a few hours now. haven't really played this in months. i love this game--so much fun when you get some good matches going. if anyone is interested in playing send me a pm

Just got myself a headset and mic for the first time ever, I'm ready to trash talk and shout racial slurs to strangers online like a true xbox live player.

I want to test out my mic and play some gears with communication for the first time. Anyone up for some KOTH tonight? pm me if interested

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Just got my Seriously 3.0 against some poor sap online this afternoon - feels good to have all three Gears 100% complete like only the biggest fans can.

Only downside that today was real laggy compared to the constant perfect online I've had the last few weeks.

Did anyone who ordered the LE get it in bad shape? I just bought one and the black circle on the front is cracked and like all the silver on the side is worn away. Is that pretty common or they just abused the "new" copy I bought?

Did anyone who ordered the LE get it in bad shape? I just bought one and the black circle on the front is cracked and like all the silver on the side is worn away. Is that pretty common or they just abused the "new" copy I bought?
I ordered mine from ShopTo and it arrived in perfect condition on day one (Sep 20, 2011).
What you described is clearly a fault and you should return it, get a new one or get your money back.

Montages? What is this? 2007?

It might not be a good idea for you to start spamming shit as soon as you get your account approved.

Feindflug

I decided to play some Horde lately and found that all of a sudden my save is fucked up for some unknown reason, even though I loaded my completed Campaign save all acts are locked as if I never completed the game, when I played Horde the achievement counter popped up for achievements that I already have and even my options (sensitivity, character selection for MP and skins) were back to default...I still have my level, medals and ribbons though.

It's like this game is trying to make me to get rid of it.

I ordered mine from ShopTo and it arrived in perfect condition on day one (Sep 20, 2011).
What you described is clearly a fault and you should return it, get a new one or get your money back.

Ya, I'm trying to, I got it on ebay and the seller isn't responding. :/ I just wanted to make sure it wasn't normal for some odd reason. I know the crack isn't normal but I thought maybe the silver wearing off was. :/ Thanks again.

Top Bottom