• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GFW Radio (97.5 - The Brodeo) 30/07/08

Tendo

voltron said:
hahaha

What else you got?

Keep in mind I'm from a very small town, so we don't get many big emergencies, I certainly don't mean to downplay the importance of EMS and make it sound like we did nothing all day.

Me and my buddy were hired the day we graduated high school. My first call was a drug overdose, a depressing yet not unusual call. His? Uncontrollable bleeding from the anus. His initiation was to clean and prepare the wound for transport. His next call? Uncontrollable bleeding from the vagina.

You would think if a call comes in at 3am its for something serious right? Heart attack, car accident etc. Nope. It was always either constipation or arthritis. Yep, call 911 because you haven't shit in three days.

I'm heading to bed, final exam tomorrow. If you want I'll share some more tomorrow in the new thread.

I feel I should add that there is a fair share of horrible things I've seen too. I've met quite a few EMT's that hate sharing the funnier stories because "this is serious work." But it's how I coped with the bad calls.

voltron

lol really his 2 first experiences were anus bleeding then vaginal bleeding? I can imagine you guys down at the bar that first weekend just pissing yourself laughing.

If you have any other humorous stories then yeah for sure.

Quasar

jon_irenicus said:
I never thought the Wire was spectacular either. Few HBO original series dramas have ever interested me save for Deadwood (first two seasons anyway, 3rd was rather mediocre), Rome, and possibly Six Feet Under. Didn't like the Sopranos or Big Love. I'm starting to watch Entourage to see if it grabs my attention.

Sounds like me. I couldn't get into it either. But then I went right off police/court room dramas a decade ago and still haven't recovered. Didn't like The Shield either. I did really like Rome and Deadwood though.

voltron

you guys who dont like the Wire are just missing the point. I mean the show is just that good.... it truly truly is like reading a good book. I used to watch an episode at night and feel like Id just read 50-100pages of a book just because of the dense layering and interwoven story arcs of the characters, the city and the guest stars.

Its just brilliant TV. I had the same reaction as Shawn. As soon as I finished season 1 I was all over the net looking for the entirety of the remaining seasons like a junkie looking for his next hit.

mileS

voltron said:
you guys who dont like the Wire are just missing the point. I mean the show is just that good.... it truly truly is like reading a good book. I used to watch an episode at night and feel like Id just read 50-100pages of a book just because of the dense layering and interwoven story arcs of the characters, the city and the guest stars.

Its just brilliant TV. I had the same reaction as Shawn. As soon as I finished season 1 I was all over the net looking for the entirety of the remaining seasons like a junkie looking for his next hit.

I watched season 1-4 in about two weeks :lol

Barrett2

JeffGreen said:
Skip is producing it now, but he is the authority on when Skip will be done.

It was a nice, long podcast, and both Robert and Julian were awesome. I was in a great mood after we were done, which got killed as soon as Milky started blasting Journey in his office (which is right next to mine).

Jeff, you and Milky need to settle this the ol' fashioned way... knife fight. It could make a nice 1UP Show segment.

- Also, last weeks discussion prompted me to check out The Wire. I watched Ep. 1 of Season 1 last night. Seemed pretty cool, I will definitely be watching more.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
lawblob said:
Jeff, you and Milky need to settle this the ol' fashioned way... knife fight. It could make a nice 1UP Show segment.

Or a Starcraft fight... wait, we want Jeff to win :(

Dot50Cal said:
Now I only have IGN Three Red Lights to keep me occupied at work. That show is awful.
Now wait a second. 3RL might not be no GFW, but it sure ain't awful either. With "Hilarity" Goldstein you just can't go wrong.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
DevelopmentArrested said:
same here! :(

ALSO SAME HERE!

sanjose airport at 5am with no gfw makes me cry. guess i will play some more shitty 'alex the kidd and some bullshit about miracles' on the flight

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
Quasar said:
Sounds like me. I couldn't get into it either. But then I went right off police/court room dramas a decade ago and still haven't recovered. Didn't like The Shield either. I did really like Rome and Deadwood though.

After the first season, The Wire gets way beyond police/court drama. I like The Shield, too, but The Wire is at an entirely different level, ambition- and theme-wise.

But agreed about Rome and Deadwood! :)

Larsen B

JeffGreen said:
After the first season, The Wire gets way beyond police/court drama. I like The Shield, too, but The Wire is at an entirely different level, ambition- and theme-wise.

Which is your favourite season of the Wire, Jeff?

You said it gets "better and better" whilst I thought it peaked in season 2 (and almost peaked again in 4) and season 5 was a slightly out-of-character let down.

JeffGreen

Larsen B said:
Which is your favourite season of the Wire, Jeff?

You said it gets "better and better" whilst I thought it peaked in season 2 (and almost peaked again in 4) and season 5 was a slightly out-of-character let down.

I'd probably go with Season 4. Though every season has its own moments of total brilliance.

I'm in the minority, I think, in really liking Season 5. It was different, yeah, but I still loved the way it ultimately wrapped up pretty much every single storyline of every single character ever on the show.

JeffGreen said:
I'd probably go with Season 4. Though every season has its own moments of total brilliance.

I'm in the minority, I think, in really liking Season 5. It was different, yeah, but I still loved the way it ultimately wrapped up pretty much every single storyline of every single character ever on the show.
The ending of 5 was great, couldn't have asked for better tying up. However I didn't feel it dealt at all as intimately with its theme,
the media
, as the other series did with theirs. The main storyline was also taken one level too far in terms of credibility in both general terms and character terms. I really enjoyed Carcetti though.

Larsen B

JeffGreen said:

Agreed. I don't think anyone could have asked for a better ending to the show than what 5 provided. I suppose when you've made such an incredible show for 4 consecutive seasons, it's inevitable that the quality will slip at some point and the commentary on the media wasn't as "biting" as I'd hoped. Probably because Simon was directly involved in that area for so long in his career, he's almost honour-bound to feel an "Us vs. Them" mentality.

But, as is a common cliché for things like this, an 7/10 episode of the Wire is a 10/10 episode for anything else.

JeffGreen

Larsen B said:
Agreed. I don't think anyone could have asked for a better ending to the show than what 5 provided. I suppose when you've made such an incredible show for 4 consecutive seasons, it's inevitable that the quality will slip at some point and the commentary on the media wasn't as "biting" as I'd hoped. Probably because Simon was directly involved in that area for so long in his career, he's almost honour-bound to feel an "Us vs. Them" mentality.

But, as is a common cliché for things like this, an 7/10 episode of the Wire is a 10/10 episode for anything else.

Totally. Yeah, the media storyline was probably the weakest of all 5 seasons, with the one particular
McNulty plot
straining credulity, or at least
veering into a form of satire the show had never really indulged in before
, but, what you said. Still better than anything else out there. Shheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit.

JeffGreen said:
Totally. Yeah, the media storyline was probably the weakest of all 5 seasons, with the one particular
McNulty plot
straining credulity, or at least
veering into a form of satire the show had never really indulged in before
, but, what you said. Still better than anything else out there. Shheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit.
Yeah, S4 might be my favorite. I loved the Bubbles storyline in season 5 (easily my favorite character throughout the show), but didn't really feel the rest. The
McNutty
plot reached
Hamsterdam
level absurdity, and I wasn't a huge fan.

The series finale might have been the best ever, though.

JeffGreen

The series finale was beautiful and the
Bubbles storyline
was just awesome payoff for longtime fans.

Ah, about the Brodeo: It's 8:20 a.m. Pacific time. Give the production folks a chance to drag their hairy (yet firm) butts into work and post it!

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
JeffGreen said:
Ah, about the Brodeo: It's 8:20 a.m. Pacific time. Give the production folks a chance to drag their hairy (yet firm) butts into work and post it!
Too late, the nuclear warheads are already on the way. RETALIATION!

JeffGreen said:
The series finale was beautiful and the
Bubbles storyline
was just awesome payoff for longtime fans.

the correct time is 11:55 pm. were mah shit at? :p

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
While I think that The Wire may be the best television show that I've ever seen, I can understand why most people didn't like it. It's a cerebral, life-like show in an era of shows featuring people with agendas play-acting Gilligan's Island and morons having a battle of wits with 12 year olds. Even the popular shows on HBO had a hook that made them such. The Sopranos started off as a very violent show. Deadwood and Rome were expensive period pieces that also showcased violence. The Wire was just an introspective look at how and why the world is not a series of black and white decisions. For the people who got into the show, it was an opportunity to see the world portrayed as it exists, not some fantasy land. Unfortunately, those people were in the vast minority. I was always on the edge of my seat until HBO would renew the show every year, as it was rumored to be canceled after every season. If The Wire had been on regular network tv, it wouldn't have lasted 2 shows, so for that, I'm grateful to HBO.

I also strongly recommend Band of Brothers. The best mini-series I've ever seen. (Well, that or Shogun.)

Oh, and keep up the great work on the podcast. (Is that going off topic or getting back on topic?)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Opus Angelorum said:
The Blu-Ray LE tin is out in November, I cannot wait.

Seriously? That's awesome.

That said, it looks like Generation Kill is probably going to replace it as the "definitive" war miniseries.

Foxtastical said:
Fuck, really? Whatever the price, I'm there.

$70 on Amazon, although there is no mention of it being an LE.

I've only found this listed on Play:

Band of Brothers - Limited Edition Collectible Tin

1151_front.jpg

The Blu-ray will include the BonusView feature "In the Words of Easy Company" and the "In the Field with the Men of Easy Company" interactive field guide.

The BonusView feature will include commentary by the veterans of Easy Company while the interactive field guide will feature soldier profiles, historical timelines, maps, and more.

That is awesome.

Top Bottom