• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GFW Radio (97.5 - The Brodeo) 30/07/08

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Ryu said:
I was trying to watch the full Wire series through Netflix and got up to the middle of season 2 and the show just died for me. I had no interest in the characters at all outside of the main cast from season 1. Everyone here is saying season 3 or 4 is spectacular and season 1 is just the hook, but no one mentions season 2. Should I just trudge through it just to get to what's good in 3 and 4?
I just don't see how you could watch Season 2 and not care about Frank Sobotka.

franksobotka.jpg

Also, the Emmy is a joke until they wake up and give The Wire the recognition it deserves.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
My wife and I are half way through the second season and are loving the show. The second season did start a bit slow, but its still great.

zam

The Wire is awesome, hands down my favorite tv-series. I can watch it over and over, season 2 is probably my favorite, because of the setting (the docks) and how the "bad guys" (i.e Frank, Nicky, the dockworkers) are the most human and sympathetic criminals compared to the ones in the other seasons.

JDSN

Banned
The first half of the second season was pretty slow because they were still closing the Barskdale case while introducing the new storyline, Omar owning Levy is by far my favorite moment of the series.

bathala

Banned
Jeff, Shawn, Ryan and Anthony assemble to chat about The Wire

because of this podcast, I started watching the series. I'm hooked.

I stayed up last night around 3am watching season 2.

very time Ziggy does something stupid. GTA IV's comment pops on my head. stupid malaka

SCHUEY F1 said:
The second season did start a bit slow, but its still great.
same as season 1. I was wondering. man this is boring.
but its how they build the character that u'll get hook later on

Vaporak

TTG said:
Yes. GTAIV. You react to each decision and you don't go in thinking "I'm this or that". It's really the next step from KOTOR 1.

I haven't played GTA4, but The Witcher does this better than KOTOR1 or 2.

Rlan

I'm surprised you haven't gotten into the Battlefield Heroes Beta. I got a key a few weeks ago.

Beforehand my copy would crash a few minutes into a game. Apparently it got an update recently, so I haven't checked it out.

I've not played Quake Live yet but I'm really excited for it. I loved it back in 2000 when I played the fuck out of it. I wish they could make Rocket Arena 3 work in it too. Pure gunplay with none of these "Grenade" things must be a bit of a shock going back to it.

eznark

Banned
Yeah, Quake Live seems like it could be pretty cool but I'm in the same boat as Shawn. I last all of 2 seconds before dying. I spent an afternoon trying to play when I first got in but it was completely pointless. Hopefully they have some good ideas for matchmaking once it opens up because no one is going to want to play (by play I mean die within a few seconds of spawning) right now.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
why are they talking about the wire in a "games for windows" podcast? Do I listen to GFW Radio for tv news and reviews? had I known GFW also included HBO series I probably wouldn't have subscribed to it.

podcast needs focus.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
otake said:
why are they talking about the wire in a "games for windows" podcast? Do I listen to GFW Radio for tv news and reviews? had I known GFW also included HBO series I probably wouldn't have subscribed to it.

podcast needs focus.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

subrock

wait, GFW stands for "games for windows"? oh god, then why are they talking about all this other bullshit??? I feel seriously ripped off.

JCtheMC

otake said:
podcast needs focus.

youredoingitwrong.jpg

Wire talk was waaaaay too short. Shawn, watch Seasons 2 & 3 ASAP and dedicate a longer segment too it. David Simon is awesome, he deserves the love.

witness

otake said:

podcast needs focus.

:lol

Hi and welcome to GFW radio where they don't take themselves seriously and BS about everything, not just games.

jtardiou

Banned
I thought the wire segment was perfect. I've never seen the show and didn't listen to the last five-ten minutes of the podcast--but I did end up buying the first season ;)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I was shocked at the lack of LOST talk.
Did you guys see the comiccon stuff?

Wolfwood0

Neo Member
SapientWolf said:
I just don't see how you could watch Season 2 and not care about Frank Sobotka.

Also, the Emmy is a joke until they wake up and give The Wire the recognition it deserves.

Word on Frank. Season 2 is my least favorite season but Frank has some of the greatest moments in the wire.

Oh, and i like to pretend the emmys are racist. Helps me sleep better at night when i see "The wire" - 5 seasons - 2 nominations; "Grey's anatomy" - 4 seasons - 27 nominations.

otake said:

podcast needs focus.

Ditto. One of the main reasons why I stopped listening to "GFW". I'm sure the off-topic banter has garnered them a rabid cult following but I kind of expect PC gaming talk rather than all the console and off-topic speak from a podcast that labels itself as "Games For Windows". Maybe a title change would best reflect what the podcast really covers.

That said, I find IGN's Command Prompt podcast hosted by former Gamespot editor Jason Ocampo to be my favorite PC gaming related podcast followed by the PC Gamer podcast (though it would've easily been the best had Dan Morris returned as host).

Ryu said:
I was trying to watch the full Wire series through Netflix and got up to the middle of season 2 and the show just died for me. I had no interest in the characters at all outside of the main cast from season 1. Everyone here is saying season 3 or 4 is spectacular and season 1 is just the hook, but no one mentions season 2. Should I just trudge through it just to get to what's good in 3 and 4?

I never thought the Wire was spectacular either. Few HBO original series dramas have ever interested me save for Deadwood (first two seasons anyway, 3rd was rather mediocre), Rome, and possibly Six Feet Under. Didn't like the Sopranos or Big Love. I'm starting to watch Entourage to see if it grabs my attention.

Ryu

jon_irenicus said:
I never thought the Wire was spectacular either. Few HBO original series dramas have ever interested me save for Deadwood (first two seasons anyway, 3rd was rather mediocre), Rome, and possibly Six Feet Under. Didn't like the Sopranos or Big Love. I'm starting to watch Entourage to see if it grabs my attention.

Two things -

1. I actually loved season one of the Wire. I was immediately hooked and thought it was an amazing show. It wasn't until season two that I had gripes with it and even then it was more so problems with characters. True, Frank Sobotka is awesome and he's one of the few characters I actually do like from season two, but the whole rivalry between him and the police chief or whatever about a stain glass window, his son being a total retard, and the labor problems of the docks or the investigation into the dead girls - I just didn't care. It lacked the scope of the first one and just felt like a step backwards.

I will try season two again based on recommendations though. I was already half way and the seasons aren't exactly 30+ episodes in length or anything like that.

2. I was actually wondering what happened to Ocampo and to hear he has his own hosted podcast is great news. He was one of GS's better technical writers and I always wondered where he ended up. I will give this one a listen. Thanks for the info!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Never watched The Wire because from what I've seen of it it seems like it would be difficult for me to relate to the main characters in any real way.

Doel

AstroLad said:
Never watched The Wire because from what I've seen of it it seems like it would be difficult for me to relate to the main characters in any real way.
You'd think that, but believe you will love it. The characters are all multi-dimensional, its really hard to not enjoy the show because no only is it so real, its also amazing tv.

Even my mom, who had no real interest in the general setting or theme of the show, fell in love with it.

I honestly find it hard to imagine someone who wouldn't enjoy The Wire if they gave it the proper chance. It's just one of those things that everyone can relate to because these characters are so real (and in many cases based off real life people).

eznark said:
Ocampo is a weird and annoying dude. PC Gamer podcast is good though.

Agreed, he doesn't let anyone else speak and is constantly breathing into the mic...I can't believe he's the EIC for the pc side of IGN.

Twig

Banned
Ryu said:
1. I actually loved season one of the Wire. I was immediately hooked and thought it was an amazing show. It wasn't until season two that I had gripes with it and even then it was more so problems with characters. True, Frank Sobotka is awesome and he's one of the few characters I actually do like from season two, but the whole rivalry between him and the police chief or whatever about a stain glass window, his son being a total retard, and the labor problems of the docks or the investigation into the dead girls - I just didn't care. It lacked the scope of the first one and just felt like a step backwards.
You really need to finish season 2.

'S all I'm sayin'.

Speaking as a guy who has absolutely no interest in cop dramas or anything of the sort, I absolutely loved The Wire. All five seasons. There was a BIT of a dip in season 2, but it picked up before the season was over.

Just finish it. ):<

Annihilator said:
Agreed, he doesn't let anyone else speak and is constantly breathing into the mic...I can't believe he's the EIC for the pc side of IGN.

So you're basing his qualifications as EIC from the way he speaks in front of the mic? Ocampo's a major PC gaming geek whose cited a number of esoteric old school PC titles which I'd be very surprised any of the GFW editors have ever touched upon. That alone speaks volumes to his pedigree and trumps whatever issues people may have with his somewhat nasally voice. Besides, I kind of enjoy his brand of humor.

Ryu

TheOneGuy said:
You really need to finish season 2.

'S all I'm sayin'.

Speaking as a guy who has absolutely no interest in cop dramas or anything of the sort, I absolutely loved The Wire. All five seasons. There was a BIT of a dip in season 2, but it picked up before the season was over.

Just finish it. ):<

I will get there as I said in my post above. Soon. ;)

eznark

Banned
jon_irenicus said:
So you're basing his qualifications as EIC from the way he speaks in front of the mic? Ocampo's a major PC gaming geek whose cited a number of esoteric old school PC titles which I'd be very surprised any of the GFW editors have ever touched upon. That alone speaks volumes to his pedigree and trumps whatever issues people may have with his somewhat nasally voice. Besides, I kind of enjoy his brand of humor.

okay Jason, relax. I think you do a terrible job on the podcast but like your written work.

eznark said:
okay Jason, relax. I think you do a terrible job on the podcast but like your written work.

Thanks!...wait, I just realized I'm not Senor Ocampo. Anyway, I'm drifting off course as this topic is supposed to pertain to GFW Radio and since I've already voiced my complaints about it, I guess I'll bail out before I incur further wrath from the rabid GFW fanbase.

Akia

Can't we all just get along?

I don't understand why people have to be labeled. Just because we like the Brodeo doesn't mean we don't listen to other PC gaming podcasts.

Druz

jon_irenicus said:
Thanks!...wait, I just realized I'm not Senor Ocampo. Anyway, I'm drifting off course as this topic is supposed to pertain to GFW Radio and since I've already voiced my complaints about it, I guess I'll bail out before I incur further wrath from the rabid GFW fanbase.

Complaints like yours are a waste of time because all it is, is a listener/non-listener wanting to it turn into something that fits their interests above all others. It doesn't just apply here, it applies with anything.

and your rant about Ocampos pedigree is embarrassing.

Top Bottom