• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - 03/11/2014

And that's why this shit will continue on. As long as we keep justifying why ignore when shit like this happens (blatant, disgusting false advertising) just because we like the game it opens the door for more shit like Aliens: Colonial Marines to happen, which you know, I'm pretty sure GB ran an article on.

If they're going to call out false advertising it needs to be uniform, not this "oh well I like so it doesn't matter" bullshit that we have here.

Again, no offense but I don't care that much about graphical aspects. I understand you and others care, but this is not exactly DMR level stuff to me getting railing about it.

I guess they, and others, feel the same way.

Then again, I was not even surprised that Watch Dogs was downgraded. Graphics are not a priority to me and I don't take advertising to face value.

I just wanted to read theories about the shit conspiracy or John Drake traveling to much in airplanes in this thread.

pa22word

Again, no offense but I don't care that much about graphical aspects.

And for about the 10th goddamned time this thread: it's not just graphical. They misrepresented the game's mechanics set, letting us think that the torch mechanic still played a huge roll in the game due to how the lighting system worked in that build. In the final, the lighting system is totally removed and as such the torch mechanics are entirely worthless. The game is worse off for this too because you can tell as you play it when you enter an area that was originally designed to be played with the torch, and see areas that are meant to be pitch black until you light the torch in the room...which is pointless in the final build because of the prebaked ambient lighting.

And for about the 10th goddamned time this thread: it's not just graphical. They misrepresented the game's mechanics set, letting us think that the torch mechanic still played a huge roll in the game due to how the lighting system worked in that build.

Did they ever actually say that or were you just reading way to much into what you were seeing?

pa22word

Did they ever actually say that or were you just reading way to much into what you were seeing?

In just about every interview and gameplay demonstration featuring the lighting, yes they did.

In fact if you go and watch a playthrough of the TGS build (which was supposedly running on a ps3, lol) the director of the game talks at length about how important the new lighting and torch mechanics impact the game.

And for about the 10th goddamned time this thread: it's not just graphical. They misrepresented the game's mechanics set, letting us think that the torch mechanic still played a huge roll in the game due to how the lighting system worked in that build. In the final, the lighting system is totally removed and as such the torch mechanics are entirely worthless. The game is worse off for this too because you can tell as you play it when you enter an area that was originally designed to be played with the torch, and see areas that are meant to be pitch black until you light the torch in the room...which is pointless in the final build because of the prebaked ambient lighting.

That sounds like Doom 3 graphical/gameplay justification.

In just about every interview and gameplay demonstration featuring the lighting, yes they did.

"Titanfall is going to have a dynamic and involving multiplayer campaign."

pa22word

That's why I mentioned, it sound like they were BS you.

Except they weren't because again, we had several gameplay vids showing it off in real time, and the final build's level design is still balanced around it as you can see all the (now worthless) firepits sprinkled around the dungeons along with the multiple torch drops throughout the game. This isn't even getting into stuff like the far out enemies animating weirdly at half speed in the final because in the original build they were designed to be out of sight and hidden in darkness.

Except they weren't because again, we had several gameplay vids showing it off in real time, and the final build's level design is still balanced around it as you can see all the (now worthless) firepits sprinkled around the dungeons along with the multiple torch drops throughout the game. This isn't even getting into stuff like the far out enemies animating weirdly at half speed in the final because in the original build they were designed to be out of sight and hidden in darkness.

If that is the case, it sounds they needed to sacrifice stuff to the final release, something that happens all the time in other games, for better or worse. You are right about willingness of Bamco of advertise a earlier built at final months, but dunno if the stuff removed is Bioshock Infinite levels of over promising.

Not exactly malicious from From part.

Of course, I need to play DSII to take your word of it.

Difference being we actually had "gameplay" showing it off in real time.

Of what it was multiplayer matches with radio plays in the background.

The campaign stuff went silent even when there were little months before realese. For people that like story stuff that is a big deal; but it was not unexpected in my case.

All I'm going to say is:

A) Keep it civil in here. Maybe take it to the other DSII downgrade thread.

B) It's funny that the lighting downgrade lead to Brad and Vinny running around in the QL convinced that the torches had some gameplay secret because they and the torch time limit seemingly served no functional purpose.

pa22word

B) It's funny that the lighting downgrade lead to Brad and Vinny running around in the QL convinced that the torches had some gameplay secret because they and the torch time limit seemingly served no functional purpose.

It's both funny and a little sad then that instead of making the connection with the downgrade he instead calls everyone crazy and basically proceeds to say it doesn't matter =\

All I'm going to say is:

A) Keep it civil in here. Maybe take it to the other DSII downgrade thread.

I also thought it was Zelda esque stuff. That also makes me think it was not as functional as pre downgrade promised as as the position of the torches.

It's both funny and a little sad then that instead of making the connection with the downgrade he instead calls everyone crazy and basically proceeds to say it doesn't matter =

I didn't connect the dots ; - ; .

pa22word

I also thought it was Zelda esque stuff. That also makes me think it was not as functional as pre downgrade promised as as the position of the torches.

The torches themselves don't really tell as much as they would with the original lighting system as they weren't the only light sources that were removed. In some shots of other areas you can see where they removed like 15 light sources from a single shot due to the downgrade because of the ambient lighting.

The torches themselves don't really tell as much as they would with the original lighting system as they weren't the only light sources that were removed. In some shots of other areas you can see where they removed like 15 light sources from a single shot due to the downgrade because of the ambient lighting.

In that case, why leave the torches there? Is a code thing?

pa22word

In that case, why leave the torches there? Is a code thing?

I can only assume because they cut the lighting system so late they couldn't just decouple the torches entirely from the mechanics set. That or they felt entirely removing a core mechanic they'd hyped up persistently for over a year, from announcement to release, probably was going a little too far.

I don't know why they left it in, really. It's pretty much useless in the final. The only non-malicious reason I can even begin to contemplate is that the lighting is still in the PC version in some form, and it's still there mechanically in the console build because it's still there in the lead PC build, and they didn't want the two to differ mechanically...even if it is only superficially the same >.>

You know, you actually just convinced me that is a bigger issue than I thought. Dunno if say is enough to decry to Brad about it or no buying the game. But you are right, it deserves answers.

I still doubt is malicious to the degree at tone of the beginning of the discussion, but still worth looking out given From shaky story in PC development (by the record, I don't expect the PC version being that much better than last time)

Brad and Drake play off each other so well, it's probably the morbid bon mots. :p

I never said there's no difference, rather that people were acting crazy about it when they hadn't even played the game, which is par for the course on this forum. Since then I've been Twitter bombed and had my integrity and intelligence called into question multiple times. In my mind that just further proves my point.

At 15 hours into DS2, I can only think of one area that doesn't look as good as or better than everything I've seen in the previous games, and on top of that it's an exceptionally good game. If that's not enough for the people who are raging about the preview footage, it's their prerogative not to play it, but they're seriously missing out.

Not sure which ring you guys are talking about -- what was the context of the discussion? May have been DS2's equivalent of the
Cling Ring
from Demon's Souls.

It comes off as a bait 'n switch so close to launch without a word, cuz the bolded is VERY true. It's a step above DS1 like DS1 was above DeS. Plus, blackouting, entering the world whilst zeitgeist is at its zeistiest, potential affectation of gameplay. It's "miffed" with this player, but the quiet headshaking tends to get drowned out by the crazies...again...and again...and again...

OMG THE CAR FUCKING PART HOLY SHIT !!!!

I have not laughed so hard at the bombcast in over a year

HOLY SHIT tears over my face from laughing

bwhahhahahahahahahhaha

Jhoan

I personally lost it at the ongoing shit bandit series of emails. That stuff had me near tears of laughter. Funny thing was I was in a bathroom when I heard it which made it funnier. The car sex stuff flew over my head a bit since I wasn't paying too much attention during that part. Maybe I'll give that part another listen.

Massa

I don't think it was confirmed at all that Bruce Straley and Neil Druckmann are taking over Uncharted. Neil's said multiple times that they were brainstorming another TLOU game and a new IP for their next project, and reinforced those comments after the BAFTA's last week.

sixghost

Just sit tight until the PC version is out. If it looks like a slightly prettier version of the console version and the lighting still doesn't factor into the gameplay, then you'll have a point. It was crazy to think the console versions of Dark Souls 2 were going to look anything like those demos/videos.

Top Bottom