• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoG Summer Sale 2015

Syril

Can someone looking at Ys as objectively as possible give me an idea of whether it's worth jumping into that series from the start? I honestly know next to nothing about it, but I've occassionly heard good things. Would these titles properly hold up?
Ys I and II are pretty archaic. The presentation is good, but these are still games from the 80's, so you have things like very little direction and reminders of your objectives, and exploring every nook and cranny of dungeons to find vital quest items. If you were to play them, I would recommend talking to all the NPCs and taking notes if one of them mentions something that sounds remotely like a sidequest, because you'll likely need to do it or at least keep it in mind for later, and there are a lot of these tasks.

Oath in Felgana and Origin are really fast paced Action RPGs with platforming elements, and they're both awesome and hold up just fine. You could play either of them first, though Oath is more of a traditional structure with a town and paths connecting various locations, while Origin essentially takes place in a giant dungeon.

Ys I and II are pretty archaic. The presentation is good, but these are still games from the 80's, so you have things like very little direction and reminders of your objectives, and exploring every nook and cranny of dungeons to find vital quest items. If you were to play them, I would recommend talking to all the NPCs and taking notes if one of them mentions something that sounds remotely like a sidequest, because you'll likely need to do it or at least keep it in mind for later, and there are a lot of these tasks.

Oath in Felgana and Origin are really fast paced Action RPGs with platforming elements, and they're both awesome and hold up just fine. You could play either of them first, though Oath is more of a traditional structure with a town and paths connecting various locations, while Origin essentially takes place in a giant dungeon.

Thanks!

I'm just not sure. It's not the first time I've thought about getting into this series, but I just don't know if it's worth committing the time, and slogging through some of the less enjoyable aspects of old game design, to do it. I really should hold off given my current back log...

Tizoc

Can someone looking at Ys as objectively as possible give me an idea of whether it's worth jumping into that series from the start? I honestly know next to nothing about it, but I've occassionly heard good things. Would these titles properly hold up?

Ys 3 (OiF) at least can be described thus
s2igs71.jpg

In general though expect a kickass soundtrack and good gameplay.
Despite Ys 1 and 2's ye olde PC style combat they're still fun to play, so if you don't mind a simple combat system you can start with those.

Otherwise Start with Ys 3 instead then you can play Ys Origin (Origin functions as a prequel to Ys 1 and 2 taking place centuries before those 2 games, up to you whether to play it first or the others =3)

s2igs71.jpg

Despite Ys 1 and 2's ye olde PC style combat they're still fun to play, so if you don't mind a simple combat system you can start with those.

Otherwise Start with Ys 3 instead then you can play Ys Origin (Origin functions as a prequel to Ys 1 and 2 taking place centuries before those 2 games, up to you whether to play it first or the others =3)

That's amazing. I'm certainly intrigued. If nothing else though, you gave me a good laugh for the day!

John Dunbar

correct about everything
so is the deponia series any good? it seems i have actually already bought the first game but have not played it, so it would be about 6 dollars to get the other two. i thought the whispered world was a very pretty game but can't say i cared much for it otherwise.

Syril

Thanks!

I'm just not sure. It's not the first time I've thought about getting into this series, but I just don't know if it's worth committing the time, and slogging through some of the less enjoyable aspects of old game design, to do it. I really should hold off given my current back log...
Only Ys I and II have the old game design to slog through. Oath and Origin were make in the 2000s actually. They're not very long either.

Tizoc

so is the deponia series any good? it seems i have actually already bought the first game but have not played it, so it would be about 6 dollars to get the other two. i thought the whispered world was a very pretty game but can't say i cared much for it otherwise.

They're OK and the game's get better one game after the next.

Super Hexagon is as ridiculously frustrating as I remember it being when I bought it on mobile.

Is there any way to allow for touch controls in the Windows version?

jyoung188

Cool picked up that city builder kit for my wife and Riddick for me, we just watched Pitch Black two nights ago and it reminded me that I need to play the game again.

Aikidoka

Got Legend of Grimrock II (is the first worth getting as well?), The Gods Will be Watching, and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

I've heard great things about STALKER: The Shadow of Chernobyll. How does Clear Sky match up?

It's a steal at $25. 75% of is BEYOND generous for that all-time classic.

s2igs71.jpg

That's amazing. I'm certainly intrigued. If nothing else though, you gave me a good laugh for the day!

Dude ain't lying.

I can vouch for him personally atm.

MrT-Tar

I've just lost my GOG virginity. I've been meaning to try the Ys games and System Shock 2 has been on my 'must play' list for ages. Getting them for £11 is a steal!

Everybody should get Chronicles of Riddick at 70% off ($3), especially since the TAGES-laden version has been pulled from Steam a while ago.

Although I have it on steam (not sure how I got it, was it in some bundle?) I have never installed it as I didn't want to be arsed with the drm.

But I noticed some noise on GOGs forums about 1080p via hdmi being a possible issue. Anyone played the GOG version?

24 minutes left until new deals.
Gonna go hide my wallet so I don't buy anything else

I need to play the ones I've already bought. Buying games I can't play is really dumb.

Grabbed the Ys pack, but I missed HOMM3. Maybe it's for the best, as I really need to play these Falcom games. The latter I can play when I'm 80 or something, given that's not based on reflexes.

Revenile

Oh Grim Fandango, why must you go on sale when I have no disposable income to spare?
Edit: Oop, the deal ended for it.

jb1234

Shit, I missed the Grimrock 2 sale. :( Well, I can always hope it'll drop in price during the Steam summer sale...

gabbo

So I caved and bought Riddick, Startopia, and Grim Fandango.
And now... fuck, Outlaws is on sale... why gog why...

robotrock

Banned
Bought Riddick. My very first GoG purchase!

Hope we get a discount on the Lucasarts games. Dying to replay Sam and Max: Hit the Road.

Outlaws is so good. I got it when they first brought it to the service. I still have my jewel case but haven't been able to figure out how to play it for years.

Replayed it and brought justice to the wilderness. That train level is still awesome to me.

Voliko

I'm trying to cop Volgarr and VVVVV

Origin and Oath aren't "archaic" at all, they are among my favorite action games because they cut out (mostly) all the bullshit. I'd only play 1+2 if you are curious or are a fan of retro games.

jb1234

gog tends to repeat sale prices a couple times during the sale iirc.

True, that's a good point...

Oath in Felghana is one of my favorite games of all time (I first played it in 2013) and Ys Origin isn't far behind. They're fast-paced action platformers with some really awesome (and challenging) boss fights. You wouldn't regret buying them.

I liked them a lot, but a bunch of people can't abide how much of an asshole the MC is.

alstein

I found it to be a pretty average space mining/shooting game, but the difficulty curve turned me off the last time I tried playing.

Not sure if that's been adjusted in patches since. I'd say it's worth it at that price, though. Definitely more than 5 hours of enjoyment to be had.

General consensus was the last patch kinda ruined the game. Forgot why.

I am interested in the upcoming sequel.

Did spot AOW3 expansions for 33% off, and base game at 75%. Prob best fantasy 4X ever made so can recommend it highly.

Nordicus

HOLY MOLEY, first big Valdis Story discount in over half a year! Time for a giveaway.

The game is by far my favorite Metroidvania, I've played it over 90 hours according to Steam tracking. Highly suggest you take a look, it has gone under way too many people's radar

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 0 Steam keys and 3 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1056407.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Nordicus, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

PGP3OVL.png
Valdis Story: Abyssal City (GOG) -- MB-064939421697B7C3 - Taken by Omikaru. 2 entrants total.
PGP3OVL.png
Valdis Story: Abyssal City (GOG) #2 -- MB-E515B4BB96D670E6 - Taken by Nabae. 4 entrants total.
PGP3OVL.png
Valdis Story: Abyssal City (GOG) #3 -- MB-7862A9CBE1C3C881 - Taken by autoduelist. 1 entrants total.

t1433526274z1.png

B437640187C8B77A55176E9A186A5FE2BF4BC14B

fagPBCA.gif

Mareg

HOLY MOLEY, first big Valdis Story discount in over half a year! Time for a giveaway.

The game is by far my favorite Metroidvania, I've played it over 90 hours according to Steam tracking. Highly suggest you take a look, it has gone under way too many people's radar
This game. This game is just incredibility deep. I have broken 2 controllers on this. When you master the controls, you become godlike !

Shambles

GOG doesn't support cloud saves yet does it? Games like Psychonauts I have on other machines but if I could centralize my saves online it would be worth me re-buying some of my old games.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Well I'm $4.77 away from spending $50, so a small game I was eying anyway would be more attractive with free Xenonauts thrown in.

They got me mostly with AoW3. I had been waiting for a long time. I did pick up several that I passed on Steam sales for ages because they were on GOG. Any idea how long this sale is supposed to go?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I regret missing Crusader: No Regret :(

Me too :( I placed it in my cart yesterday in the Galaxy-program, but since that doesnt work as well as it should I ended up not buying them and forgetting. Hope they go on sale again.

Well, at least I got Alone in the Dark Trilogy, Valdis Story and Expeditions: Conquistador. Never heard of that last one, but it looked cool :)

MrFortyFive

Well I'm $4.77 away from spending $50, so a small game I was eying anyway would be more attractive with free Xenonauts thrown in.

They got me mostly with AoW3. I had been waiting for a long time. I did pick up several that I passed on Steam sales for ages because they were on GOG. Any idea how long this sale is supposed to go?

Ends on June 21st at 11:59AM GMT, so you have lots of time to spend that $4.77.

Durante

Thanks!

Ys Origin is the best action RPG of all time. Just play it, you don't need to play Ys 1 and 2.

Top Bottom