• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoG Summer Sale 2015

autoduelist

Anyone want Xenonauts + the other free games for $20 or Steam credit? PM me.

I'd recommend people get $20 worth of GOG games and the first two free games, then just waiting on a better price for xenonauts.

that said, I suppose if you only want xenonauts and must have it today, that's a good deal?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Do I have to play Wizardry 6 and 7 before Wizardry 8? The 6th game looks a bit too old for me.

There is a continuous story that goes from 6-> 7 -> 8, you can even import your party across the 3 games. But it's not necessary no.

Jag

Grimrock 2 is a goddamned revelation compared to the first, and I liked the first! It's too bad that it didn't sell all that well.

Just finished Grimrock 2. It's a great game, but damn some of those puzzles were way to hard to beat without a walkthrough. Maybe I'm soft and dumb, but I didn't feel bad cheesing through some of those really hard ones.

autoduelist

The Ultima bundle right now is an absolute steal.

I beat many of them back in the day [including the first], and while the early ones [especially the first] are archaic, going through the games is like reliving the history of crpgs. IV being an absolute masterpiece, a revolution of what games can be as you strive to be an Avatar -- which means your every decision is weighed against what it means to be human, what's right, what's wrong... things other games don't even give a second thought to, like looting houses of friendly villagers.

Truly, truly a must play game, moreso than any other i can think of [even if it's not my favorite game of all time].

The early ones, while being more archaic, aren't huge time sinks either.

Plus you get the underworlds, which are straight up dungeon crawls.

These games are worth your money. Absolutely, positively. If you have the ability to play and learn older games, do so for these. They are also far more accessible than going back to some of the old drpgs like Wizardry; Ultimas are more about overworld exploration, have towns, cool magic systems, etc.

Just finished Grimrock 2. It's a great game, but damn some of those puzzles were way to hard to beat without a walkthrough. Maybe I'm soft and dumb, but I didn't feel bad cheesing through some of those really hard ones.

It didn't sell that well? That's a shame. How do we know that?

Of course, I'm part of the problem -- I bought the first Day 1 and played it immediately (even broke out the graph paper to map it myself for the first time in ages)... but didn't buy #2 till it went on sale during this gog event. I know i should have bought it day 1 because I'm the demographic for it but having a kid changes things.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
The Crusader-games are finally back so I got them. Could not check out without some other awesomeness though, so added the Ultima-collection and the Kyrandia-games!

Morfeo

Started Desperados - and it didnt work, wtf? I thought that was the whole point of this service. Then went on to Commandos 2 on steam, and that had some real troubles working as well. Pretty terrible stuff. At least Lords of the Realm works!

Started Desperados - and it didnt work, wtf? I thought that was the whole point of this service. Then went on to Commandos 2 on steam, and that had some real troubles working as well. Pretty terrible stuff. At least Lords of the Realm works!
If it didn't work, contact support. They're pretty good about trying to help. And they'll give you a refund if they can't help you get it working (unlike Steam where you're SOL).

terrisus

The Ultima bundle right now is an absolute steal.

I beat many of them back in the day [including the first], and while the early ones [especially the first] are archaic, going through the games is like reliving the history of crpgs. IV being an absolute masterpiece, a revolution of what games can be as you strive to be an Avatar -- which means your every decision is weighed against what it means to be human, what's right, what's wrong... things other games don't even give a second thought to, like looting houses of friendly villagers.

Truly, truly a must play game, moreso than any other i can think of [even if it's not my favorite game of all time].

The early ones, while being more archaic, aren't huge time sinks either.

Plus you get the underworlds, which are straight up dungeon crawls.

These games are worth your money. Absolutely, positively. If you have the ability to play and learn older games, do so for these. They are also far more accessible than going back to some of the old drpgs like Wizardry; Ultimas are more about overworld exploration, have towns, cool magic systems, etc.

Agreed, the Ultima games are amazing. I bought them all at full price and they were well worth it. At the sale price, they are bargain and an absolute must buy.

Scythian

I seem to be pretty thick-headed in regard to some of the RPGs on GOG, so I'm mostly on the lookout for some good adventure games (specially horror); been really craving a good adventure. Have been waiting for ages for Monkey Island 2 to go on sale.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I seem to be pretty thick-headed in regard to some of the RPGs on GOG, so I'm mostly on the lookout for some good adventure games (specially horror); been really craving a good adventure. Have been waiting for ages for Monkey Island 2 to go on sale.

It was on sale as part of the Lucasarts bundle on the first day.

Nikodemos

The GoG email promised it would go on sale at one point for -75%. Be patient.
Well, the base game was deeply discounted earlier during the sale, but its expansions weren't, and by that point I had already blown through about 80% of my allotted monthly game purchase budget.

EDIT: For people cross-shopping with the current Steam sale, GOG has some things for less. Sunless Sea, for instance, is €14.24 on Steam, but €10.49 on GOG. And Broken Age is almost half the Steam price.

EDIT x2: Oh, and bought the Tex Murphy pack. Or, rather, Tesla Effect for 82% off since I already own the rest.

does anyone know when the gog summer sale is ending? I'm like 3 bucks away from a free xenonauts, and I want it but I don't want to overpay for something that will come in on a daily deal.

Edit: nvm, just saw it ends 6/21. plenty of time.

cj_iwakura

Jumped on The Last Express, was waiting for too long.

Was on the fence about Trails in the Sky since I own the PSP version. Hoping for some TIE Fighter love soon.

REDSLATE

Strategy fans: grab Lords of the Realm II when it goes on sale again (included in the Royal Edition).

It's a great Turn Based/Real Time hybrid where the socioeconomic aspect is turn based and the battles themselves are in real time. You have to balance public favor and ruling counties with building an army and conquering the counrty. It's a bit ahead of its time (its closest analogue being the Total War series) and a hell of a lot of fun. It's even got multiplayer!

Should have posted this when it was first on sale, but I didn't even think about it as I already own both the original and GOG release. Can't beat it for $1.99.

Morfeo

Strategy fans: grab Lords of the Realm II when it goes on sale again (included in the Royal Edition).

It's a great Turn Based/Real Time hybrid where the socioeconomic aspect is turn based and the battles themselves are in real time. You have to balance public favor and ruling counties with building an army and conquering the counrty. It's a bit ahead of its time (its closest analogue being the Total War series) and a hell of a lot of fun. It's even got multiplayer!

Should have posted this when it was first on sale, but I didn't even think about it as I already own both the original and GOG release. Can't beat it for $1.99.

I got it when it was on sale, looking forward to trying it out!

Now playing Simon the Sorcerer which is freaking amazing and so funny. Only downside with it is that there is a bit too much stupid pixel-hunting.

autoduelist

playing Zafehouse: Diaries right now.

Hmm. It's interesting. You've got 5 survivors in a town -- and you need to manage them all against zombies. Searching, barricading, patrolling, cooking, etc... moving from house to house, trying to find supplies, trying not to make too much noise. Several variants -- endless play, find/fix/fuel a car, etc.

Perhaps one of the coolest and/or most annoying aspects is dealing with interpersonal relations. Different characters may rub each other the wrong way... you can manage this somewhat through giving them more 'background'... ie, a rumor that someone wrote a book popular with a certain demographic might increase his/her standing with others. Putting people on the same task that hate each other can cause problems.

It's kind of cool. Interface has some issues... although ultimately my biggest issue is there isn't enough numbers in my face. I generally know that if my group is well armed they're safe, but it's hard to know exactly what odds/risks you can safely take. I suppose that's true about zombie outbreaks in general, though. I'm not sure if barricading is buggy or if i just don't understand something, but I definitely wasn't getting something -- it didn't seem like the numbers of windows/doors being locked up matched the status screen.

Overall... recommended to give a try if it sounds appealing. It's not perfect, but it's a good try at a zombie/town/survival sim. You'll at least get a good game or two out of it, deciding whether it's for you or not. (I was doing really well in one game, securing buildings as I went, stockpiling nice gear... then got impatient and died storming a police station. Part of the issue is ammo consumption - if you're clearing zombies around your house with bullets, it's just going to bring more to you. But it's also important to snipe zombies around buildings you're considering entering.

cj_iwakura

Elminage Gothic is definitely the highlight here. Insane amount of content. The only flaw is that it's a THAC0 DC if that's not your thing(very obtuse mechanics, but you'll get there), and that they didn't translate the monster bios(nitpick, but still, do it all or don't bother).

Outside of that, it does a lot of things right that a lot of JDCs don't. It has dungeon-specific music, for one, thank god. And the art is stellar.

Elminage Gothic is definitely the highlight here. Insane amount of content. The only flaw is that it's a THAC0 DC if that's not your thing(very obtuse mechanics, but you'll get there), and that they didn't translate the monster bios(nitpick, but still, do it all or don't bother).

Outside of that, it does a lot of things right that a lot of JDCs don't. It has dungeon-specific music, for one, thank god. And the art is stellar.

Seconding the Elminage recommendation. THAC0 for life.

Morfeo

Just beat Simon the Sorcerer which I picked up in this sale. I have owned it physically since forever, but just now got around to play it, and what an amazing game. I very much recommend this game for every fan of the old Lucasarts-classics like Monkey Island, as this game is definitely made in that same spirit. It might not be as good as those, but it treats similar subject matters as the Kings Quest-games, and feel better than all of them. Very much recommended!

Springy

Uh. I've kind of spent all I want to, and what's with that currency exchange?

image8xu8h.jpg

Should I dispute that?

terrisus

A heads-up for anyone who missed it before, that Shadowgate is currently on sale on GOG

At $2.29, it's an absolute must-buy
Seriousy, after this I expect everyone on GAF to own this >.>

If you want the Special Edition, that's also on sale for $4.99

I put over $200 into the Kickstarter, and it was worth every penny.
At that price, it's an absolute must-buy.

Dave, Karl, and the people over at Zojoi are all great.
Do your part to encourage more games in the Shadowgate series! Show it love!

Just popped in here out of curiosity and surprised to hear that they have Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb available.

I was recently itching to revisit that having enjoyed it on Xbox way back when.

Persona7

Banned
A heads-up for anyone who missed it before, that Shadowgate is currently on sale on GOG

I still need to get around to playing this sometime.

thefil

Just thought you'd want to know that you sold me on this. I don't even really know what it is but the blurb sounded good.

MrFortyFive

And the finale is on. Everything minus a couple games is back on sale (notably missing is Divinity: Original Sin). Tales from the Borderlands made its debut on GOG today too.

Linkark07

Banned
One day left before the sale ends.

Also, check your wishlists. Checked mine and found some games that aren't on main page are on sale like Last Express.

Top Bottom