• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoG Summer Sale 2015

Hmm ... so I can basically get Freespace 1 and 2, which are the superior games in the series, for $4? That might make the decision easier.

Descent 3 has aged pretty well, but it was never really an essential game. This genre is going to get completely rebooted for VR anyway and I wouldn't really mess with the old games in the genre unless you really have a hankering for them.

Freespace 2 is an absolute triumph, a masterpiece of design and engineering that holds up with the likes of Deus Ex, Half-Life, and System Shock 2 in terms of sheer quality for its era. I have very few older games that I consider "essential" to the PC gaming library, but FS2 is one of them. You simply can't find anything comparable in a more modern form.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I wish I could just get that sweet ass price on the old Lucasfilm adventure games without rebuying the Monkey Island stuff I have on Steam.

A bit late, but how is Lichdom for $5.19? It seems like an awesome concept and the screenshots/videos look great, but the review scores are oddly low so I'm a bit hesitant to pull the trigger.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
A bit late, but how is Lichdom for $5.19? It seems like an awesome concept and the screenshots/videos look great, but the review scores are oddly low so I'm a bit hesitant to pull the trigger.
dem ruthless good ol gamers

QeoEZMs.png
no sugar on this lol

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Ops, couldnt resist:

Patrician 3
Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive
Desperados 2: Cooper's Revenge
Space Empires IV Deluxe
Deadlock 2: Shrine Wars
Patrician 1+2
Darklands
American Conquest + Fight Back
Deadlock: Planetary Conquest
Sword of the Samurai

autoduelist

real quick

is desktop dungeons worth getting?

A huge YES.

But... you need to understand what you're getting.

First, it's incredibly well designed and extremely well balanced. Every 'dungeon' is generally 1 level and 1 level only (some have hidden optional sub rooms). You pick your adventurer per level (race, class, loadout, etc) and if you die, that's okay, try again. The goal is pretty much to beat every dungeon with every combination, because all those races and classes and skills create very unique experiences. It's fun to unlock new classes and then try to learn them.

Now, once your in a dungeon it's almost like a complex (but fun!) math problem. Exploration (non-combat) heals you, and you'll discover lewt and enemies on the board. You'll know everything you need to know - -how much damage a hit will do, what level an enemy is... and you need to figure out a way to kill enough of them to get powerful enough to kill the boss. This can be easy or difficult, depending...

In theory, since every dungeon is only one level (one screen), an absolute math wizard that could think ten turns ahead could beat every dungeon in 5 minutes or whatever. In practice, you're going to be internally debating what to kill and how to kill it, in what order, to maximize your experience gains (you can get to level 10 in each dungeon, but may be able to clear it earlier).

Part of the game is 'figuring it out'... for example, you get bonuses for killing creatures higher level than you, but to do so you often need to engage in 'neat tricks' in which you figure out class/race specific ways to heal mid-battle. You may also find altars to various gods you then need to master (they might reward or punish you based on your actions in the dungeon). there are also bonuses/challenges for clearing dungeons in various ways.

There's no way I can do justice to this game with a description. You need to like puzzles, you need to be decent at basic math (although it'll show you the basics in the interface, figuring out whether you can pull off those 'neat tricks' may involve thinking a few turns ahead.

Anyway, as you defeat more and more dungeons, you build up your town, unlocking new races and classes and abilities and better equipment to take on your adventures. Dying on a level is no big deal, since it's more about solving each dungeon with tons of different characters... there's no 'you' character. It's like a roguelike that was boiled down to it's very essence and then rebuilt as a dungeon sim + town building + math problem.

Highly recommended if you're not completely turned off by above description. I'd buy it again if I had to.

The game was a gem when it was still a simplistic little 'proof of concept' project, but the nice full version now is so finely tuned it's insane.

Is to day the last day of the sale? They usually do the repeat day toward the/at the end

They repeat in the middle too.

G-Fex

A huge YES.

But... you need to understand what you're getting.

First, it's incredibly well designed and extremely well balanced. Every 'dungeon' is generally 1 level and 1 level only (some have hidden optional sub rooms). You pick your adventurer per level (race, class, loadout, etc) and if you die, that's okay, try again. The goal is pretty much to beat every dungeon with every combination, because all those races and classes and skills create very unique experiences. It's fun to unlock new classes and then try to learn them.

Now, once your in a dungeon it's almost like a complex (but fun!) math problem. Exploration (non-combat) heals you, and you'll discover lewt and enemies on the board. You'll know everything you need to know - -how much damage a hit will do, what level an enemy is... and you need to figure out a way to kill enough of them to get powerful enough to kill the boss. This can be easy or difficult, depending...

Part of the game is 'figuring it out'... for example, you get bonuses for killing creatures higher level than you, but to do so you often need to engage in 'neat tricks' in which you figure out class/race specific ways to heal mid-battle. You may also find altars to various gods you then need to master (they might reward or punish you based on your actions in the dungeon).

There's no way I can do justice to this game with a description. You need to like puzzles, you need to be decent at basic math (although it'll show you the basics in the interface, figuring out whether you can pull off those 'neat tricks' may involve thinking a few turns ahead.

Anyway, as you defeat more and more dungeons, you build up your town, unlocking new races and classes and abilities and better equipment to take on your adventures. Dying on a level is no big deal, since it's more about solving each dungeon with tons of different characters... there's no 'you' character. It's like a roguelike that was boiled down to it's very essence and then rebuilt as a dungeon sim + town building + math problem.

Highly recommended if you're not completely turned off by above description. I'd buy it again if I had to.

The game was a gem when it was still a simplistic little 'proof of concept' project, but the nice full version now is so finely tuned it's insane.

They repeat in the middle too.

That's what I figured it was more so than a dungeon crawler. I like the sound of it! I'll get it!

ShadowOwl

Hmm ... so I can basically get Freespace 1 and 2, which are the superior games in the series, for $4? That might make the decision easier.
Get both or at least Freespace 2. You can play an outstanding port of the Freespace 1 campaign (to Freespace SCP) if you got Freespace 2. Leave me a PM if you need more any help.

Jag

Are there any hidden dungeon crawler / drpg gems? I'm especially looking for turn based, though right now I've got Grimrock style ones in my cart (Anvil of Dawn, Lands of Lore 1-3). I've even got Nox in there, which I think is like Diablo. But really, I'm on the lookout for wizardry style games I don't know about.

Already own the most obvious stuff (M&M, Ultima, Bard's Tale, Wizardry)... but that doesn't mean there aren't gems I don't know about.

(Currently playing SanctuaryRPG and -loving- it. While it doesn't have traditional dungeon crawling, what a fantastic and awesomely designed game. [dungeoneering is reduced to just going into combat encounters, and it works well].

Have you tried Lords of Xulima? Fantastic game and currently on sale.

Nikodemos

Jumping in to point out that there are several more discounted games not featured on the first page (due to space constraints).

Jag

This game is insanely good and was a more satisfying for me than all the "big" CRPGs last year save M&M X. I played it on the kick you in the nuts ironman mode and it was fabulous.

It really is not talked about enough. It just does everything right. I would buy a sequel or expansion immediately. Highly recommended.

4Tran

Are there any hidden dungeon crawler / drpg gems? I'm especially looking for turn based, though right now I've got Grimrock style ones in my cart (Anvil of Dawn, Lands of Lore 1-3). I've even got Nox in there, which I think is like Diablo. But really, I'm on the lookout for wizardry style games I don't know about.

Already own the most obvious stuff (M&M, Ultima, Bard's Tale, Wizardry)... but that doesn't mean there aren't gems I don't know about.

(Currently playing SanctuaryRPG and -loving- it. While it doesn't have traditional dungeon crawling, what a fantastic and awesomely designed game. [dungeoneering is reduced to just going into combat encounters, and it works well].
There's Paper Sorcerer, a less hardcore remake-ish of Wizardry IV, and Thunderscape for something a little more old fashioned, and Stonekeep for some rock throwing action. Dragon Wars is supposed to be pretty good as well, but it just got on GOG so it won't be discounted yet. If you want to step away from the first person fare, then I'd suggest Betrayal at Krondor - I loved this game when I was younger.

I've thought about starting it, but I've heard that it's really long as well. I've got just about all the dungeon crawlers that I'm interested in, and I'm thinking of starting one, but I'm not sure what's a good choice among them. Mostly, I'm mostly torn between Wizardry VI, Lords of Xulima, Might and Magic IV and Might & Magic X. Preferably, it'd be something relatively short.

Teppic

Thought about getting Shadow Warrior, but I'll probably don't want to play it more that 20 minutes. Bought Wolf Among Us instead. Never got into The Walking Dead, but this game looks a bit more interesting story wise.

Jag

I've thought about starting it, but I've heard that it's really long as well. I've got just about all the dungeon crawlers that I'm interested in, and I'm thinking of starting one, but I'm not sure what's a good choice among them. Mostly, I'm mostly torn between Wizardry VI, Lords of Xulima, Might and Magic IV and Might & Magic X. Preferably, it'd be something relatively short.

It is long and can be grindy, but you always have that sense of getting a bit stronger each time which is the main RPG hook for me.

I don't remember the older M&M games, but M&M X was a great game and felt pretty short to me.

Descent 3 has aged pretty well, but it was never really an essential game. This genre is going to get completely rebooted for VR anyway and I wouldn't really mess with the old games in the genre unless you really have a hankering for them.

I would disagree with the "aged well" aspect. I found it a bear to get running properly on my system, and certain parts are hardcoded to 640x480 like the map display (in that your system will literally drop the display resolution to 640x480 to show the map, and then jump back up to whatever you set it to when you pop back into the game). There are lots of graphical glitches as well. The first two Descents look and play a whole lot better thanks to the DXX-Rebirth projects that have modernized the original source code to support higher resolutions, modern networking and joystick support, etc.

If there's ever a DXX-style project for Descent 3, I'll be the first to dive in. It'd be a shame to lose the original D3 experience to bitrot. But for now, I'd say try the first two Descents instead if you're new to the franchise.

Freespace 2 is an absolute triumph, a masterpiece of design and engineering that holds up with the likes of Deus Ex, Half-Life, and System Shock 2 in terms of sheer quality for its era. I have very few older games that I consider "essential" to the PC gaming library, but FS2 is one of them. You simply can't find anything comparable in a more modern form.

This, on the other hand, I absolutely agree with. Freespace 1 was great too.

EDIT:

So I'd like to get Freespace 2 since 1) I've heard it's a good game, and 2) I'd like to own a legitimate copy for the some of the neat mods that are out there for it. It's $4 on its own, but it's $2.50 in the $9 bundle with all the Descent games. Is it worth paying another $5 for all those assorted Descent games rather than just buying Freespace 2 on its own? (I played Descent 1 back in the day, and it was fun, but I have no desire to play it again. Don't know how Descent 2, 3 and Freespace 1 are.)

So to answer the original question: if you don't have any desire to replay Descent 1, I'm not sure Descent 2 would bring much new to the experience. It's basically Descent 1 with more toys and nuttier AI (hello thiefbot). I mean, I love Descent 2 myself, but no interest is no interest.

autoduelist

This game is insanely good and was a more satisfying for me than all the "big" CRPGs last year save M&M X. I played it on the kick you in the nuts ironman mode and it was fabulous.

I actually own it on Steam but it's backlogged. However... to the front it goes. I don't know why I buy new games when I'm already so ridiculously backlogged.

There's Paper Sorcerer, a less hardcore remake-ish of Wizardry IV, and Thunderscape for something a little more old fashioned, and Stonekeep for some rock throwing action. Dragon Wars is supposed to be pretty good as well, but it just got on GOG so it won't be discounted yet. If you want to step away from the first person fare, then I'd suggest Betrayal at Krondor - I loved this game when I was younger.

I can wait on Dragon Wars. IIRC that was a sequel-ish to Bard's Tale after they lost the rights or something... and I like Bard's Tale. I'm playing the first right now so don't need DW anytime soon.

Paper Sorcerer I have from a recent bundle on Steam.

Betrayal at Krondor - I remember loving this as a kid. IIRC it had a great story, and also... I seem to remember a cool way to do 'experience'... you didn't get experience for killing monsters, but rather, completing acts of the story. A purely grindless solution - you want to get better, move forward. I remember liking it, not sure if it holds up though.

I'm not sure I'd call any of the ones you listed 'short'.

4Tran

Betrayal at Krondor - I remember loving this as a kid. IIRC it had a great story, and also... I seem to remember a cool way to do 'experience'... you didn't get experience for killing monsters, but rather, completing acts of the story. A purely grindless solution - you want to get better, move forward. I remember liking it, not sure if it holds up though.
I haven't played it in a long time, but Betrayal has a bunch of features that are pretty rare in modern games. It also has some pretty engaging storytelling for a game.

I'm not sure I'd call any of the ones you listed 'short'.
Is there any good short-ish dungeon crawler you can recommend? I have most of the famous ones, but I've got a bit of analysis paralysis choosing between them.

autoduelist

Is there any good short-ish dungeon crawler you can recommend? I have most of the famous ones, but I've got a bit of analysis paralysis choosing between them.

Will you be mapping yourself or using guides? Most of the older ones are super short if you want to use guides, since the complexity is all in the mapping / solving riddles. If your mapping yourself, I don't know that any I can think of are particularly short.

If you want something non-traditional, try SanctuaryRPG. I'm loving it. It's modern, but ascii/menu based. That is, when you're in town you see a menu with where to go, combat gives you [lots] of tactical options as you slowly unlock new powers. Combat is combo based; your use a 'starter' move, then can reposition [dodge] or use a linker attack... your fourth move is a 'finisher'... complete 2 finishers (combo count gets reset under certain conditions) and you can use your ultimate...

All the art is ascii (and really well done). And there are cool things, like you might be exploring a forest, and you might notice a cabin with a yellow X for a door, meaning you can type X to explore the [optional] cabin.. which could have a monster or a chest or an event or whatever.

You don't really 'dungeon crawl' (dungeons are just a string of encounters, some combat, some 'events'), but you do explore the world and gain more and more things to do. You do get that sense of 'progression' as you become more and more powerful, find better lewt, gain cool new skills, etc. and discover more of the story. It's permadeath but I think you can turn it off [I don't]. Just lost a level 32 paladin because I wasn't paying attention, but am going right back in.

hitmon

Any thoughts on Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall?

Looking at the reviews, Jade Empire appeared to have stability issues. Anybody play the gog version?

Brick

Any thoughts on Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall?

Looking at the reviews, Jade Empire appeared to have stability issues. Anybody play the gog version?

While Shadowrun Returns is a good game, Dragonfall is one of the best RPG's I've played in years. Great story, excellent characters, and only about 20 hours long. Pick it up!

Added:

The Witcher 2
Shadowrun Dragonfall
Legend of Grimrock 2

for $13.07.

(For the record, I own 62 GoG games and have played through 8 of them. Signed up about four years ago. Time to start cracking!!)

John Dunbar

correct about everything
nice to see battle realms was free. i remember i liked it when i played it years ago, but don't think i ever beat it.

Card Boy

Banned
Picked up

• Return to Krondor
  • King's Quest 1+2+3
  • Police Quest Collection
  • Legend of Kyrandia: Hand of Fate, The (Book Two)
  • Quest for Infamy
  • Betrayal at Krondor Pack
  • King's Quest 7+8
  • Legend of Kyrandia, The (Book One)
  • Legend of Kyrandia: Malcolm's Revenge, The (Book Three)

Welp

C-Drive

Yay I just missed the window to pick up the games I was going to get on sale.

I hope the repeat at the end of the sale contains the games from the first half as well.

Picked up

• Return to Krondor
  • King's Quest 1+2+3
  • Police Quest Collection
  • Legend of Kyrandia: Hand of Fate, The (Book Two)
  • Quest for Infamy
  • Betrayal at Krondor Pack
  • King's Quest 7+8
  • Legend of Kyrandia, The (Book One)
  • Legend of Kyrandia: Malcolm's Revenge, The (Book Three)

Welp

And now, play them in chronological order.

nice to see battle realms was free. i remember i liked it when i played it years ago, but don't think i ever beat it.

Yeah, I was surprised that it looks pretty good going by the reviews. Thanks gog!

I've also enjoyed this sale far more than the insomnia ones =p

Got: Free space 2, Reign of Giants for Don't Starve, and Shadowgate.

Trying really hard not to buy Riddick today...

Nzyme32

Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb is a brilliant game. I have no idea when it got put on GOG but everyone should grab it

gabbo

This sale is getting me 2-3 games at a time.
Indy and the Emperor's Tomb, Pathologic, and Outlaws as second purchase... if Star Wars stuff goes on sale,ugh...

Top Bottom