• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Sun DS revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tabris said:
Yeah but you're going to be able to play it on a DSLite too?
Yeah, but they might be designing it with DSi people in mind.
Regulus Tera said:
All Nintendo DS title videos since Rhythm Heaven have the DSi at the end. It's part of Nintendo's marketing efforts to push DSi.
Well, yeah. However, that's a convenient excuse to ignore the GBA slot.

Case said:
None of that matters because you can transfer the stats with a code as well.
Oh god, I remember having a blast doing that. :lol I couldn't read my own hand writing, which led to many failed attempts and confusion.
Tabris said:
I'm trying to remember, did Golden Sun 2 end with a code? I know the original did and that's what I used since I didn't have a second GBA on me.
My memory is fuzzy, but I think there was something accessible like that.

Tabris

Case said:
None of that matters because you can transfer the stats with a code as well.

I'm trying to remember, did Golden Sun 2 end with a code? I know the original did and that's what I used since I didn't have a second GBA on me.

me Jojo said:
It's a sequel. The characters portrayed here are descendants of Isaac, Mia and Garet. They just happen to look exactly the same. >_>
No they don't. Isaac, Jr. is left-handed. They couldn't be more different! :D

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Tabris said:
The gold level password was such a pain in the ass to input into GS2. 260 case sensitive character hell.

thetechkid

Killthee said:
The gold level password was such a pain in the ass to input into GS2. 260 case sensitive character hell.

I did that 5 times before I realized that my copy of GS2 was screwed.

Lord Phol

Wasn't too wowed by the reveal and trailer, but I wouldn't mind a fun RPG for the handheld.
I remain fairly optimistic.

Johann

Tabris said:

I don't remember one at the end. IIRC, the whole password business was due to the original Golden Sun concept being too big for one GBA cartridge.

Case said:
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rumorsArt.cfm?artid=4522
"And for us, as far as the whole Golden Sun setting, the world, the storyline for us, in our minds, Golden Sun 1 and 2 are prologues to the real event yet to come… So those games are created—again, from our viewpoint—as a way of introducing this world to the game players."

Interesting, if that interview is real.

This was pretty clear from the ending of The Lost Age.
I always figured that the first two games were about the creation of the big villain for the series after that one guy got trapped by the Golden Sun at the end of Lost Age.

GhaleonQ

darkwings said:
a fun classic RPG, fuck all these SRPGs on DS.

darkwings said:
finally camelot gave up on all those mario sports spinoffs and made a real game again

I don't think I like your opinions. ...Nor Golden Sun's graphics (it looks fine and will improve, but the previous Golden Suns looked fantastic).

That said, Camelot must have been working on this for a long time. We Love Golf is very similar to Mario Golf, so their last huge effort was in 2005. They've only made 1 bad game and a score of amazing ones. I feel good about this.

me Jojo

UltimateIke said:
No they don't. Isaac, Jr. is left-handed. They couldn't be more different! :D

Oh, you. :p

Killthee said:
Good god I remember that, that was such a pain in the ass.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
This and shiren have been the best announcements of the show for me.

The 3d makes me sad though. I hate 3d graphics on the DS so much. All 3d games look universally horrible. Should have kept it 2d.

oh well, I have confidence the gameplay will be just as great as 2.

wrowa

Tabris said:
It ended with a non-playable end save, just like Golden Sun 1 did. That only makes sense with a password function, I'd say.

wrowa said:
It ended with a non-playable end save, just like Golden Sun 1 did. That only makes sense with a password function, I'd say.
I thought the save was playable? It unlocks hard mode and such, doesn't it?

Edit: Or does it only affect the options when selecting "New Game"?

me Jojo

To unlock Golden Sun's "send" button you had to hold left on the pad, the R button and then press start on the menu. This combination didn't work for The Lost Age though. Anyone know if there is a combination that does work?

bluemax

Banned
Things they need to improve from the first Golden Sun:

1. Story
2. Dialogue
3. Combat
4. Encounter rate

Things that can remain the same:

1. Dungeon design
2. The Psi powers being used outside of battle

Things I don't really care what they do with:

1. Graphics
2. Music

bluemax said:
Things they need to improve from the first Golden Sun:

1. Story
2. Dialogue
3. Combat
4. Encounter rate

Things that can remain the same:

1. Dungeon design
2. The Psi powers being used outside of battle

Things I don't really care what they do with:

1. Graphics
2. Music
The music was incredible, how dare you :0

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
ninj4junpei said:
Yeah, but they might be designing it with DSi people in mind.

Well, yeah. However, that's a convenient excuse to ignore the GBA slot.
Fuck em if it's DSi only. Really, that would be a really really big fuck up.

Gruco

Banned
trinest said:
I only liked the first one. Story was epic. Awesome prologue, interesting towns etc.

Second one was just nasty- put out to make a quick buck IMO.
Please nobody listen to this.

In answer to the "what is good about Golden Sun" question, the series had two primary strengths.

One is the multi-tiered ability system, which layers a customized class system on top of a strong one-shot attacks, further on top of a high damage summon system. The second game allowing for character swap added yet another elemen to all this and basically made all combat awesome.

The second is the area map ability puzzles, which eventually grew very interestering and complex and the game gave you more and more abilities.

Basically, in both instances, the second game absolutely destroys the first. GS hints at a lot of the strengths, but does not do much to capitalize on them. The second had harder enemies, a much deeper class system, more elaborate puzzles, and a good "avoid" ability to let you keep you experience low and to focus more time on the puzzles.

Honestly, I think Golen Sun: The Lost Age is still one of the best all around RPGs ever made. And the very least, something that has been deserving a sequel for a long time - especially since the story has very clearly been mapped out.

Firestorm

me Jojo said:
It's a sequel. The characters portrayed here are descendants of Isaac, Mia and Garet. They just happen to look exactly the same. >_>
My brother said the same thing quoting a press release that is not on any website at all. It's not even on Nintendo's press page. Where are you people getting this information from?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Operations said:
The music was incredible, how dare you :0
:D :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFFrKKE56Wo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5d1rrbNo3o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNgOkbcIER8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxLY3Rp1L0g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7pBcKlONnA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tu4KihhLn4

The flute type of sound they did with GBA was amazing, along with the "OOH" stuff in the background. I'll be playing my DS connected to my Z-5500 with this! They better keep that style!

MoogPaul

UltimateIke said:
I kept getting distracted by the guy moving his hands all over the place. And he kept trying to skip the summons. What the fuck?

It looks great, however. Can't wait!

Looks like the demo is timed, he is probably trying to skip the summons to get further into the demo.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
What do you think the chances are of a GS compilation for DS containing the first two? Didn't get to buy them back in the day, and would really like to play them before playing this one. :/

Kyosuke

Firestorm said:
My brother said the same thing quoting a press release that is not on any website at all. It's not even on Nintendo's press page. Where are you people getting this information from?
http://e3.nintendo.com/pressrelease/

Golden Sun™ DS: After going dark six years ago, 2010 will see a new dawn. Golden Sun DS updates the popular portable Golden Sun role-playing series with an impressive graphical style. This installment follows the story of the previous heroes’ descendants and immerses players into the magic of its adventure by pushing the boundaries of intuitive touch-screen controls. Golden Sun DS is playable on the Nintendo DS and Nintendo DSi systems.

LiK

bluemax said:
Because I can't remember the music at all and I generally play portable games with the sound off.

dude, you missed out :|

Takeda Kenshi said:
What do you think the chances are of a GS compilation for DS containing the first two? Didn't get to buy them back in the day, and would really like to play them before playing this one. :/

or end up on DSiware store

Synless

A couple months before the release of this game I will embark on another Golden Sun marathon in tribute to this game.

LiK

Charred Greyface said:
the gametrailer link still doesn't work. is there a hd version out there?

thanks for the heads up. seems GT changed the page. i updated OP with the new link and included the Gamespot one if GT doesn't work again.

farnham

Banned
Wilsongt said:
The biggest news, though, is that Camelot is indeed involved and it's not some other company!

:D :D
i hope that means mario golf RPG mario tennis RPG and both games on wii with wii motion plus soon

darkwings said:
finally camelot gave up on all those mario sports spinoffs and made a real game again
wt..

Takeda Kenshi said:

That'd be awesome.

Plus, that way there could be two ways of passing over a GS2 save for bonuses.

GBA slot.

Or linking two DS's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom