• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gracepoint (U.S. Remake of Broadchurch/BBC) - David Tennant, Anna Gunn - 9/8C FOX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toa TAK

Banned
Watched the first episode and it's alright so far. =\

I'll stay tuned, though. Don't know anything about Broadchurch so it's all new to me.

Loved Broadchurch, this just feels off somehow so far, even tho 90% of the time it's line-for-line the same dialogue and atmosphere of the original.

I felt that way too. I wonder how different the resolution will be since they've changed one major piece of evidence? It's also two episodes longer for some reason.

Hagi

I don't see the point in remaking a show already available in English that's like a year old scene for scene and have the only differentiating factor be it set in America. To go as far to get the same actor to play the main character is just bananas.

I'll continue watching if i find out it veers off into a different direction.

Neo Child

Banned
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HCCk41zCKg4/UOMHHj7JTCI/AAAAAAAAD-w/cVTOcg0buaE/s1600/skyler.jpg[/IMG

2 of my least favourite actors.

also that image is an animated jpg... does such a thing even exist? edit: i guess not

liquidtmd

Banned
I'm sorry, this concept is just bananas.

It's like if Bryan Cranston filmed S1 of Breaking Bad, then flew to England to remake it for UK television.

What happens if Gracepoint takes off? Tenant films S2 of Broadchurch then flies over to film S2 of Gracepoint? Series 3 and then Season 3?

Tenant stahp

I'm sorry, this concept is just bananas.

It's like if Bryan Cranston filmed S1 of Breaking Bad, then flew to England to remake it for UK television.

What happens if Gracepoint takes off? Tenant films S2 of Broadchurch then flies over to film S2 of Gracepoint? Series 3 and then Season 3?

Tenant stahp

Gracepoint debuted with a measly 1.2 demo rating. It's unlikely it will take off at this point.

watched broadchurch few months ago, it was great!

might as well ask this here, i've watched broadchurch, utopia, in the flesh
any other awesome british series worth watching?
Black Mirror. Amazing speculative sci fi series, recc if you like Twilight Zone.

Surprised people thought the ending of Broadchurch came out of left-field. The killer was my main suspect during the last few episodes, after Pauline Quirke's character said
something about a guy on the beach that day being bald.

Tugatrix

Surprised people thought the ending of Broadchurch came out of left-field. The killer was my main suspect during the last few episodes, after Pauline Quirke's character said
something about a guy on the beach that day being bald.

About Broadchurch

I got suspicious when he reacted strangely to Tenant character talking to his son

ElRenoRaven

So just got done watching the first episode here. Good god people weren't kidding about being shot for shot. Even the dialog. Just seems crazy to me to remake a show that just showed late last year early this year here. It is interesting though watching it. Tennant is worth watching it for without a doubt. The mom seemed to do a better job showing emotion compared to the british version too.

survivor

Banned
Does anyone still watch?

Does it still.. kind of function as a 1 to 1 or did episode 2 change more?

First 3 episodes were still almost 1 to 1 based on what I remember from Broadchurch outside of some minor differences. Though for episode 3, one review I read did mention the ending scene was different than Broadchurch.

mclem

watched broadchurch few months ago, it was great!

might as well ask this here, i've watched broadchurch, utopia, in the flesh
any other awesome british series worth watching?

Let me dig out my go-to drama list:

Life on Mars (Plus the followup series, Ashes to Ashes)
Hustle
Spooks (MI:5 over in the US).
Cracker
House of Cards (Plus the followup series, To Play The King and The Final Cut)
GBH
The Singing Detective
Our Friends In The North
This Life
Auf Wiedersehen Pet
Boys from the Blackstuff
Takin' Over The Asylum
Edge of Darkness
Talking Heads
Messiah
State of Play
Call the Midwife (Not for everyone, of course, but it's really not as twee as the premise sounds!)
Sherlock
Happy Valley

_Ryo_

Watched first two eps of both. Sticking with the original, will watch last 3 eps of remake to see the different endings.

Let me dig out my go-to drama list:

Life on Mars (Plus the followup series, Ashes to Ashes)
Hustle
Spooks (MI:5 over in the US).
Cracker
House of Cards (Plus the followup series, To Play The King and The Final Cut)
GBH
The Singing Detective
Our Friends In The North
This Life
Auf Wiedersehen Pet
Boys from the Blackstuff
Takin' Over The Asylum
Edge of Darkness
Talking Heads
Messiah
State of Play
Call the Midwife (Not for everyone, of course, but it's really not as twee as the premise sounds!)
Sherlock
Happy Valley

I am saving this for viewing after I wrap up other shows (Hannibal, Recitfy, current Dr. Who (it's just awful to me so far, I blame Moffat though), Knick) and I still need to watch all of X-Files

RS4-

Not really feeling the show after 3 eps. Will try to hold on for a few more.

edit - and lol, cops trying to find some guy. Kid just runs findmyiphone and great success.

Red Comet

Well, that was pretty good and I actually did not see that coming. I've haven't seen the British version, but for anybody who has seen both, were there any major differences in the two shows?

The was...quite a last scene. After last week's episode, I had guessed the guy who confessed. I wasn't expecting the twist though. I liked the show a lot despite kind of a slow start.

Well, that was pretty good and I actually did not see that coming. I've haven't seen the British version, but for anybody who has seen both, were there any major differences in the two shows?

Haven't seen Broadchurch but I did read that they changed the killer for this version. I'm looking forward to watching it at some point. Hopefully I won't be spoiled by the time I do.

The difference is that
the son was not involved and Olivia Colman is a much better actress than Anna Gunn

survivor

Banned
Pretty disappointed with the way they handled the show. Now that it is over, there really is no reason to watch this over Broadchurch. It doesn't do a single thing better.

Haven't seen Broadchurch but I did read that they changed the killer for this version. I'm looking forward to watching it at some point. Hopefully I won't be spoiled by the time I do.

Besides the change in country and actors, everything I saw the handful of times I watched Gracepoint was basically beat for beat the same, save for the one change in the resolution. There's no
secret that the female detective has to protect because the kid wasn't involved

Besides the change in country and actors, everything I saw the handful of times I watched Gracepoint was basically beat for beat the same, save for the one change in the resolution. There's no
secret that the female detective has to protect because the kid wasn't involved

So I heard. Still looking forward to it purely for the acting.

Not long after I posted that last night, I read The A.V. Club's review of the finale and the Broadchurch killer is revealed. D: I'll still give it a watch over the holidays for the performances but, man, I got so far without knowing...

Qvoth

wait what? in this version
the son was involved? how? why?
i watched the british version and i'm not planning to watch this, can someone spoiler me everything?

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
wait what? in this version
the son was involved? how? why?
i watched the british version and i'm not planning to watch this, can someone spoiler me everything?

Her son followed his father to the meeting with Danny and was watching through a window secretly. When Danny ran off and Joe started chasing him, he tried to intervene, thinking he was protecting Danny, grabbing an oar and swinging wildly in the direction of his father. Unfortunately, this intervention caused Danny to come running back, straight into a backswing.

ElRenoRaven

I have to say While I had my doubts about Gracepoint I did love it as much as Broadchurch. Anna Gunn did a great job as Ellie. Tennant of course was great. Overall while it was basically Broadchurch the small differences were good. The cast did a great job too I thought.

Shame we'll never see the 2nd series of Broadchurch remade into Gracepoint season 2.

Qvoth

Her son followed his father to the meeting with Danny and was watching through a window secretly. When Danny ran off and Joe started chasing him, he tried to intervene, thinking he was protecting Danny, grabbing an oar and swinging wildly in the direction of his father. Unfortunately, this intervention caused Danny to come running back, straight into a backswing.

that's really dumb

sarcastor

how is it that a small town like Gracepoint has the best CSI team I've ever seen a TV show?

I mean there's no murder in that town ever. Yet they can find drops of shit on a boat that's been half burnt.

Maitiú

how is it that a small town like Gracepoint has the best CSI team I've ever seen a TV show?

I mean there's no murder in that town ever. Yet they can find drops of shit on a boat that's been half burnt.

I just finished Broadchurch an hour ago after starting it two days ago, and I haven't watched Gracepoint, but Tenant's character spoke a few times about the extra police that were brought in to work the case.

I've never figured out the killer this soon in a series. In episode
1, when Ellie tells her husband Danny died, he shrugs it off emotionally while simultaneously trying to be a supportive cheerleader for her, even though the two families were so close. He should have been shocked in disbelief and in grief for himself, his wife, his son, and especially for Danny's mom and dad that he was so close to. Beyond that clue, the first two episodes established Ellie's inability be objective as a detective, initially unable to suspect anyone she personally knew but already starting to reluctantly learn. As a character development arc, it would be the most dramatic if the killer ended up being her own husband who also seemed so easy going and vanilla. Everything went into place from there, and all the subtle clues (and the fact that they WERE subtle) further stacked up against him.

So, as a suspenseful whodunit, Broadchurch was lacking for me. But as a parable about the spiraling effect of doubt and prejudice in relationships, it was decent, and I especially loved the communal response at the end. That lubricated the ol' ocular ducts quite nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom