• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRIP |KS| A UE4-powered spiritual successor to Rollcage for PC/PS4

Komo

Banned
Not off to a great start is it. :(

I think that considering it hasn't had any real media exposure so far, it's doing alright. But that base goal still worries me.

If I remember correctly, Drift Stage was on 29k for a while even after getting some media exposure but pushed along in the final week

I think that considering it hasn't had any real media exposure so far, it's doing alright. But that base goal still worries me.

If I remember correctly, Drift Stage was on 29k for a while even after getting some media exposure but pushed along in the final week

Nope, Drift Stage hit it's base goal of 30K on it's 4th day.

Azzawon

When you isolate one of the big platforms in a kick starter, it's to be expected.

Absolutely no excuse not to bring this to Xbox One.

Exactly. I'd be all over this without thought if an Xbox One version was listed on the KS, even if it meant waiting a few months more than other platforms.

TigerBrown

I remember playing the Rollcage I demo for endless hours as a kid. First time driving upside down through a tunnel - great times. Bought the full game later on, but I've never played Stage 2.

Will back this for sure as soon as I get home again.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
When you isolate one of the big platforms in a kick starter, it's to be expected.

I disagree that a slow start can be entirely put down to not including Xbox one - that just sounds hyperbolic to me.

However I don't see why they couldn't put it as a stretch goal. They talk about 'if they have the money' and the port taking 2-3 months. So why not estimate how much it'd cost and add it as a stretch goal now? get the Xbox owners pitching in too?

Komo

Banned

Rollcage as a series was only ever released on the PlayStation and the PC, and was most well known as a PlayStation title. I'm not saying that everybody who owned a PS1 back in the day owns a PS4 now, but I think a good portion of those have stuck to the brand that they're most familiar with.

Even if it did include Xbox One, I don't think it would be doubling the current pledges or anything. It'd be a relatively minor increase, imo.

Backed at the Heavily Armoured Edition tier for dat steelbook. I may have to create another account for a digital copy so I don't have to open the physical copy. PLEASE get funded!

SparkTR

You also have to remember that extra platform cost money. Xbox backers may bring in say $150k more but the Xbox version may require a 200k hit to their goal.

Xater

That's a very well done Kickstarter. They show off the prototype (which looks great), have a very clear feature list and break down the stretch goals. I just backed it. More people need to actually see this Kickstarter.

Looks amazing! I'm backing this right now!

Really loved Rollcage and just backed this. Hoping it meets the goal because another Rollcage style game would be awesome.

backed for $21, will up it once i find out the physical PS4 release is actually a disc and not a code in a PS4 case.

Thanks!

About XBO version:

It's definitely not off the table. The project was initially planned for PC and PS4 was added very recently thanks to Sony. We are still figuring out all the options...

That's a very well done Kickstarter. They show off the prototype (which looks great), have a very clear feature list and break down the stretch goals. I just backed it. More people need to actually see this Kickstarter.

Thanks for backing! Yes it definitely needs more exposure, don't forget to share the news please, thanks!

TigerBrown

I have already seen a few articles pop up on german gaming sites. I hope everyone who has forgotten about Rollcage (like me) comes across this.

I pulled the trigger too and wish you much success with your project.

Backed at the Heavily Armoured Edition tier for dat steelbook. I may have to create another account for a digital copy so I don't have to open the physical copy. PLEASE get funded!

Chris, the game director told me that they're thinking about adding 'add-ons' where backers can get a digital copy for cheap :)

Cripshay

Banned
Sony acquired Psygnosis, dubbed it SCE Studio Liverpool and eventually closed it. However Psygnosis was only the publisher of Rollcage, where ATD / Attention To Detail was the developer. There was never any word afaik regarding who actually owns the Rollcage License.

Americanmushroom, possible to shed some light on that quagmire?
Actually it's quite easy.
Psygnosis owned the Rollcage IP. Sony acquired Psygnosis. So it's a Sony IP.

I hope the devs consider releasing a build. Doesnt have to be public, but just for sites and specifically Youtube channels. They can be more benefical than regular sites nowadays.

Generally, people understand that as a Kickstarter alpha demo build, it's going to be incomplete, it's in development, etc. The point is to gain exposure and to show people that this is a game now, it's perfectly playable and fun now, we just need to make it bigger and better.

Seriously think that getting some kind of playable build out there, even if it's just a single track and car, would do wonders for the campaign, especially if the current game is as solid and polished as it looks.

While obviously there's always the worry about a Kickstarter's momentum, I think the dream mega-blockbuster Kickstarters of late have given unrealistic ideas of how KS's should work (funded in hours/1 day)

I really hope that sites/youtubers/bloggers pick up the KS so it can get the exposure it needs, but there's a reason it has a funding period of a month.

Either way, the team is doing everything right (awesome prototype, awesome concept, awesome features, solid reward tiers, excellent soundtrack) so that part is set. It's all about spreading the word at this point

While obviously there's always the worry about a Kickstarter's momentum, I think the dream mega-blockbuster Kickstarters of late have given unrealistic ideas of how KS's should work (funded in hours/1 day)

I really hope that sites/youtubers/bloggers pick up the KS so it can get the exposure it needs, but there's a reason it has a funding period of a month.

Either way, the team is doing everything right (awesome prototype, awesome concept, awesome features, solid reward tiers, excellent soundtrack) so that part is set. It's all about spreading the word at this point

Thanks! Means a lot to us and Chris the game director reads every single comment and loves the positive feedback so far. The big websites are a bit harder to reach to get exposure. But it's getting there, we were on Eurogamer and Pcgamer and more probably. Chris did a wonderful job for the kickstarter page, I think its really informative and he's already discussing possible changes in the rewards thanks to the feedback.

viveks86

Agreed. And man, this game needs to happen. I'll be so pissed if it doesn't!

Durante

Seriously? The funding on this so far has nothing to do with its platforms and everything to do with media exposure, or the lack of it. This would be the case even if it was PC-only.

Kayant

Right... no excuse because small dev teams have unlimited resources, experience, etc with all platforms nowadays... If you want to say you're sad the initial kickstarter doesn't include your platform of choice then do so no need to claim complete BS and be unreasonable. Also they never said they wouldn't be bringing it to XB1.

Yh look at all these failed one platform only kickstarter /s
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen/description
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1062682568/umbra/description
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/harmonix/amplitude/description

Chris's comment on kickstarter regarding budget:

@voltagex: You'll notice that some people are saying our funding goal looks high. That's because we've put a ton of thought into the budget as well as added contingency to it. This is the amount we need to make the game at minimum. We haven't cut corners or just said things like "we'll think about that later" or used ballpark amounts or low balls just to fund.
This is the most accurate number that we came up with after a long time deliberating.
All this and the fact that are Producer, David has never had a project come in late or over budget.
And yes, we're using licensed music.

DirtyLarry

I am assuming the beta will be PC only right?
I am in for a PS4 copy, and would have considered the other tier with access to the beta, but I am thinking their will not be on a beta on the PS4, that safe to assume?

GHG

Seriously? The funding on this so far has nothing to do with its platforms and everything to do with media exposure, or the lack of it. This would be the case even if it was PC-only.

Console wars mang. Serious business.

But seriously, I've just backed this. If I could afford to I'd probably just fund the whole project myself. I loved the rollcage games so much and this looks incredible in every way.

If this doesn't get funded I lose my faith in the gaming community.

I really want this to not just reach its goal but reach 800k, I loved Scramble in RC:S2.

Scramble was awesome, my personal favorite mode out of Rollcage :)

David (producer)'s comment on budget:

In our case, our funding goal accurately reflects our scope. We have oodles of passion for this game, but passion alone will not make it.
I personally had the pleasure of working with some extraordinarily talented people to bring you Rollcage, Rollcage Stage II and Firebugs. I helped to design and make all three: designing and building tracks, project managed and produced. I have a deep understanding of how THIS actual game is made at a task by task level.
Which is why we have spent considerable time working on a meticulous schedule and risk analysis. We have thought of everything we can - and scheduled contingency for the things we can't think of. The only concession we have made is to pay ourselves minimum wage - and that's where our passion comes in.
Chris and Rob and the rest of the team are also extraordinarily talented people. It will be an honour to continue working with them if we're given the opportunity to bring you this awesome game. Please help share the news if you are able.

I am assuming the beta will be PC only right?
I am in for a PS4 copy, and would have considered the other tier with access to the beta, but I am thinking their will not be on a beta on the PS4, that safe to assume?

Although we don't forsee a problem, we're currently confirming with Sony that a beta on PS4 is guaranteed good to go

Top Bottom