• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRIP |KS| A UE4-powered spiritual successor to Rollcage for PC/PS4

GHG

Guys please... Do the right thing.

And people wonder why arcade racers aren't made anymore... :(

This damned Kickstarter better not fail, but I can see why it would. After all the bad press that crowding has had in the last few months ;(.

This game needs to happen.
Nah, it's not that. It's media exposure and the high goal IMO

I do the main 2015 Kickstarter thread and about 65% of the campaigns listed there have succeeded.

Guys please... Do the right thing.

And people wonder why arcade racers aren't made anymore... :(
And arcade racers usually do well. Distance, Drift Stage, Power Drive, Formula Fusion, 90s Arcade Racer were all funded

Still think the devs should give builds at least to select Youtubers. I know it's early and whatnot, but that's generally understood when you're showing off a Kickstarter demo build, and a game like this, the visibility and audience from YouTube channels could be a huge help.

desu

Imho most funding goals are set way too low, which is bad for Kickstarters with more realistic goals.

Formula Fusions campaign was also super bad, they basically had substantial to show off (compared to that Grip has 10x more to show off in its first video). I am surprised they ever got that far, but I assume it's all down to the Wipeout name ...

Loved the original Rollcage, it's going to be a shame if this doesn't make it when things like card games and potato salad gets funded.

On the bright side, the fact that the campaign made 66k (USD) in like 3 days is huge compared to other campaigns. Blackwake made 41k in about two weeks, Devastated Dreams is at 31k after a month, XO is 44k after like 25 days. Eco, a game whose campaign started around the same time, is at 47k

So relative to the campaign's goal, funding's kind of slow, but relative to other campaigns, GRIP is doing well

There is a Kickstarter fatigue, this spring/summer season has seen a lot of projects aimed at people growing in the late 90s, people backed for 100s of $ for their spiritual successors.

I hope it gets funded, the project is presented really well, the game looks great and Rollcage was awesome.

While amount wise it may seem slow, the funds and backers have been coming in at a steady pace.

TewYvb7.png

That's a fantastic day 2. Compare that to other campaigns

Usually campaigns have less backers and less pledges on day 2

Let's hope that IGN, Kotaku, and RPS cover the game tomorrow to keep the funds coming in for a strong day 3

Don't count your chickens before they hatch

8lbibam.png

Also don't compare GRIP with low budget projects that have 10 time smaller funding goals. The first 3 days are very important, only reaching 10% in this critical period is not doing well.

There is a Kickstarter fatigue, this spring/summer season has seen a lot of projects aimed at people growing in the late 90s, people backed for 100s of $ for their spiritual successors.

I hope it gets funded, the project is presented really well, the game looks great and Rollcage was awesome.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch

8lbibam.png

Also don't compare GRIP with low budget projects that have 10 time smaller funding goals. The first 3 days are very important, only reaching 10% in this critical period is not doing well.
Oh, definitely. 10% in the first 3 days isn't good, but raising 66k (USD) and 1,000 backers in 3 days is pretty impressive for most campaigns

Update #2

Wow - 10% of the way there and we've also become a Kickstarter Staff Pick! That's awesome!

We still have a long way to go though, so please do what you can to spread the campaign throughout the net. Gotta reach all those Rollcage and combat racer fans!

We are very grateful for those who have pledged already, so here, have a new GIF as a gift ;)

bH0T0Mj.gif

Plus there's a pretty great gif on reddit that's making the rounds that shows off the best gameplay clips from the GRIP trailer (thanks PETTYOFFICER117!):

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/3gz0pw/this_game_looks_amazing_grip_kickstarter/

Please upvote it if you've got a reddit account ;)

And another great album of GIFs made from both our videos here:

http://imgur.com/gallery/FkTJH/

Additionally, we're going to be doing some interviews with various publications, so expect an update soon regarding those.

And lastly, we have some more shout-outs.

The first is XO - A retro sc-fi strategy game

It's now reaching it's stretch goals, which is great! The game's got a really cool style and a robust set of features, invoking real strategy. So check it out!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jumpdrive/xo-a-retro-sci-fi-strategy-game-for-pc-mac-linux

And second is Everspace, a gorgeous-looking space shooter with rogue-like elements and non-linear storytelling

It's well on it's way to getting funded, and it's no mystery as to why

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rockfishgames/everspace

We're loving all the comments about the game and are monitoring this page, Facebook, Twitter, Greenlight, reddit and other forums, trying to answer as many questions as possible.

We'll also be putting up a FAQ on the Kickstarter page soon to answer some of the most asked questions.

More updates, with more information and more media are incoming!

-Chris and the GRIP team

PS: looks like I'm a bit late on that one, thanks for the updates guys

They probably could have done a much better job getting the messaging out there about this KS. I didn't even realize the KS had started until I saw this thread get bumped.

In for a copy, but I hope they start gaining some traction on that goal.

Please let this get funded. I'm seriously considering dropping a good chunk of dough on this. I will back it I just need to figure out how much. Rollcage is the shit and I'm sorry for those that never got to experience this awesome game. The second game was so good and I still play the soundtrack every now and then.

They probably could have done a much better job getting the messaging out there about this KS. I didn't even realize the KS had started until I saw this thread get bumped.

In for a copy, but I hope they start gaining some traction on that goal.

Thanks,

we've been featured on several websites but are still searching for more, the devs are planning interviews shortly aswell. Right now it's going very well thanks to reddit !

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comm...p_kickstarter/

Thanks for the nice comments from everyone

WOAH!!! This looks awesome!! :) I'll throw them some cash! ^_^

Please let this get funded. I'm seriously considering dropping a good chunk of dough on this. I will back it I just need to figure out how much. Rollcage is the shit and I'm sorry for those that never got to experience this awesome game. The second game was so good and I still play the soundtrack every now and then.

Backed at the physical copy level.

Backing this now. Remember playing the PC-demos of Rollcage and Dethkarz a lot back in the day.

Thanks to all the backers and sharers!

brett2

Shenmue III really tapped me out but this looks great. I set a reminder so if it hasn't hit its goal on the last day I'll throw in.

Getting a Kickstarter a lot of attention isn't easy to do these days. You can't force sites to write stories about your game.

Update #3:

100K, New GIF, and almost 2500 Backers!!

WOW - Such a huge boost today, most of it coming from reddit in the form of a great GIF posted on /r/gaming.

We reached 100k from 70k in what seemed like a few hours. Also, we're coming up to 2500 backers, which is fantastic.

It's been a pretty busy afternoon as I've been constantly answering questions and emails. If we haven't gotten to yours yet, rest assured that we will soon.

I guess you'd like to see some more media, huh? Ok, you twisted my arm.. here's another GIF:

X3ToAOS.gif

Something small, just to tide you over. More media coming soon!

As always, thanks for the support so far, everyone.

-Chris and the GRIP team

The fact the campaign needs $4,998 USD/$6,570 CAD to increase one percent of funding is going to a tough hurdle to overcome during the mid-campaign period

The fact the campaign needs $4,998 USD/$6,570 CAD to increase one percent of funding is going to a tough hurdle to overcome during the mid-campaign period

Chris's comment regarding the campaign and other answers:

Thanks for all the supportive comments everyone.
We don't much look at Kickstarter tracking sites since our campaign isn't following a normal format of funding.
That said, it's obvious we need as much exposure as possible.
@Phil: That's pretty bad ass! I've thought of a lot of different and abstract designs for cars but have tracks instead of at least the back wheels is interesting
@Ryan: The development insider DVD/DL will have pics and video from development (including very early) as well exclusive stories about development, whether it be through text, voice or video.
Iyasaka: Hopefully we can get you set up for another 15 years ;)
Dale: You're dedication to the project is admirable. Thanks so much.
We're still exploring platforms and we'll make an announcement if anything changes in that regard.
Since we're such a small indie studio we chose two big platforms, and PS was the obvious choice after PC (Win) because of it's past with Rollcage
@More_badass: This is a prototype or proof of concept. Everspace is quite a lot further in development than we are, that much is apparent.
That said, I've been listening to all the comments about something playable or demo'd and we're taking them into consideration
@Nakano: We'll be releasing some pretty big media next week, so look out for that. I agree about keeping the media flow going.
@Joeseph: We will have a turbo boost power-up (already seen) as well as speed pads on the course to give players a boost. Sound about right?
-Chris

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/169002413/grip-an-intense-futuristic-combat-racer/comments

This is one of the few projects that if I hit the lottery I would personally fund myself. Maybe I'll go out and buy a ticket tomorrow for funding public schools and Grip.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
This ... Is amazing.

It's like the all my arcade racer dreams are coming true... Sorta

Another Underground.

Trackmania coming to consoles

And now GRIP.

Based racing gawds

GHG

Ok guys, if every backer pledges an extra $173 then this project is funded.

Lets do this.

Joking... Kind of

New Update and Dance of Destruction Trailer:

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2dJ0WofSzs

One fifth of the way there with over 3000 backers! This is no small milestone, so thanks to everyone who's supported us so far.

We're still going to need a lot more exposure though, and this new cinematic gameplay trailer will help! It's got slow-motion destruction, jumps, colliding cars and a big finale, so check it out

You can view the trailer via Youtube below or download the true HD version from our site here: http://cagedelement.com/grip/video/GripTrailer2.mp4

https://youtu.be/D2dJ0WofSzs

We were also featured in an interview on Retro Gamer recently. We talk about GRIP's origins, it's Rollcage roots, the power of Unreal Engine 4 and the trend of retro revival in the industry: http://www.retrogamer.net/blog_post/rollcage-developers-talk-grip/

Thanks for the great questions, Nick!

We've also had a lot of great press from various online sources. We've been posting links to all of those on our Twitter and Facebook pages.

Additionally, you may have missed the GIF posted for last screenshot Saturday. It's pretty explosive ;)

gBltuVR.gif

We'd also like to do a couple shout-outs to a couple other Kickstarter projects:

Magbot - a fun little physics-based platformer:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gordonlittle/magbot

and

Dark Storm: Ascension - an ambitious stealth game also using unreal engine. They've got some beautiful media on their page!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1201252455/dark-storm-ascension

That's it for now but be sure to share the new trailer and as always, thanks for the support!

-Chris and the GRIP team

Top Bottom