• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRIP |KS| A UE4-powered spiritual successor to Rollcage for PC/PS4

Just a heads up for those of you who want to play GRIP on early access as soon as possible:

The rewards campaign on our website will be shutting down near the end of this month to coincide with the first Steam release. This initial release will be private to those who are purchasing from our website.

If you're not comfortable ordering from our site, that's ok! We'll be publicly releasing on Steam Early Access soon after the private release.
The private release is to allow our most devoted fans to get their first taste of the game as well as give us valuable feedback to help improve it before we go public. If you'd rather wait until GRIP is available to purchase on Steam, no problem! We appreciate it, either way.

For you guys who have already purchased, we'll be sending out Steam keys for the private release once the build is ready, with some instructions on how to get playing. And of course, thanks for your support! We wouldn't have been able to do this without you.

We look forward to hearing gameplay reactions from you guys, after you drive really fast, upside down, shooting missiles at other giant hunks of metal.

-Chris and the GRIP team

CTzKZsgUwAAG4ry.jpg

Durante

Thanks for posting. I backed the KS, but didn't support their web funding campaign. Rectified that now.

I hope it's sufficiently successful in early access so that we get some form of scramble at some point.

Peterthumpa

CU1n1ijW4AA6zVm.jpg

Awesome, I thought the alpha would only have that one track

I guess that's still the case:

Here is our feature list for the first version of GRIP on Steam early access:

- 1 car type (12 skins)
- 1 track (daytime & night-time versions)
- 1 playground map with track designs, obstacles, physics objects and destructibles
- 3 weapons (missile, gun, mine)
- 2 power-ups (boost, shield)
- Standard Artificial Intelligence (navigate course, shoot you when opportune)
- Play modifiers (slow motion, unlimited ammo, 3x weapon power, disable pick-ups, 2x engine power, etc)
- 1 exclusive music track

https://www.cagedelement.com/grip/

Steam keys going out today!

A tweet from yesterday
We'll be sending out the keys once the build of the game is on Steam. Sometime tomorrow before 11:59pm EDT.

Also that bottom right track in the above screenshot is a sandbox/arena level with ramps, destructible objects, etc.

7drHiqr.gif

1 Vehicle type with 12 skins
2 Racetracks
1 Arena level
1 Playground (with collectibles)
3 Weapons (Scorpion, Raptor, Quaker)
2 Power-ups (Shield, Turbo)
Working Artificial Intelligence (bots)
Play modifiers (Slow mo, higher weapon force, etc)
Working Menu with exclusive music track
4 exclusive ingame music tracks

bee

where's mah key! please don't unlock at midnight UK like everything else seems to do, looking forward to the music as much as the game

Once there are more weapons, the Arena battles are going to be crazy. With cars driving on the walls and ceiling and flying off ramps

desu

Just received the key, time to download!

Are thre any known restrictions regarding posting stuff from the game (screenshots/videos)?

Just received the key, time to download!

Are thre any known restrictions regarding posting stuff from the game (screenshots/videos)?

No embargo as far as I'm aware.

Really enjoying it so far. Once more is added it'll be great. Really feels like Rollcage and look forward to the future updates.

low-G

Got my code, gave it a shot. Obviously very much an alpha, but that first map feels very solid and looks nice. Doesn't seem that you can even change the resolution of display, though.

Hopefully they can see this game through to a very solid finish, I like the start.

Komo

Banned
Absolutely incredible. I've never been so impressed by an Early Access product in my life.

I have full faith in these devs.

To change the screen resolution, right click on Grip in your library, then properties, then set launch options.
Add "-ResX=1920 -ResY=1080" without the quotations, and change the res to whatever 16x9 ratio you like.

PaulloDEC

BKhEdNg.gif

A gif of some rollcage dodging, wall flipping Grip action from some of my gameplay.

Awesome GIF.

Can't wait to get home and have a go myself!

EDIT: Finally got to play a few races of this, so here's some early impressions.

First of all, the game is gorgeous. Even this early on, it looks totally fantastic. Control-wise, the cars feel really nice to drive and impart a great sense of speed. Music is also great, and gets you suitably pumped.

Biggest issue for me right now is how incredibly touchy the physics are. If you so much as glance at a piece of geometry as you pass it, you'll find yourself 50ft in the air, backwards, sideways and upside down in no-time flat. Getting any air at all is an absolute liability, with your car almost guaranteed to be facing any direction other than forwards by the time you've landed. In the few races I've played so far, I often found myself placing simply because half the other racers had launched themselves into bits of scenery they weren't smart enough to escape from. It seems like the game wants you to go fast, but only if you're capable of performing a 100% perfect racing line the entire time.

bee

the game looks great, it's destroying my titan x at 4k though like most ue4 games, with max settings , no aa (txaa doesn't seem to work yet) and no motion blur get like 40-45fps on start grid full of cars, then the race starts and it's usually above 50fps, card at 99% always

the drum and bass isn't my usual flavour (mainly listen to liquid) but i knew this before and it doesn't matter as it goes with the game really well and sounds great!

barring getting stuck on the scenery and the physics wonkyness, the game is already damn great

To change the screen resolution, right click on Grip in your library, then properties, then set launch options.
Add "-ResX=1920 -ResY=1080" without the quotations, and change the res to whatever 16x9 ratio you like.

cheers for that

Biggest issue for me right now is how incredibly touchy the physics are..

yeah the games a little dodgy in that regard right now, 100% expecting it to be fixed fairly quickly though

Durante

Gave it a spin (literally).

First I had to disable my DK2, because with it enabled the game started in Rift mode which isn't fully functional at this point :p

Other than that, the game is gorgeous, and it runs really well given what it displays in my opinion. Thanks UE4!

Gameplay-wise, I'm happy that the "Rollcage feeling" is already there in tunnels and with many of the jumps. The physics are still wonky in some places, particularly in how collsisions are handled, but I think this is something which can be resolved by further iteration and tweaking.

Looking good so far!

Denton

Buying this the minute it appears on steam, I was so bummed when the KS campaign didn't make it. So glad to see it continue.

TwistedSyn

Game looks ridiculous in motion. And it's an alpha.

Man that looks incredible! Been so busy with work that I totally forgot that the keys were going to be sent out yesterday. Hope my key was sent.

Update:
Just checked my inbox and found my key for GRIP. Installing it right now and gonna see how good it runs on my GTX 970.

TwistedSyn

So I got to play GRIP and let me say right off the bat...oh man did they nail the feeling of Rollcage! I felt like I was actually playing a next gen Rollcage and the game is only in the Alpha phase. Hats off to CagedElement for actually achieving this.

The performance based on my PC build is very good and I can pretty much max out everything and still have solid frame rate. The vehicles in the game definitely have a heavy feeling to them and can actually spin out of control on sandy areas quite easily. To mediate this you really need to use the brakes and let go of the gas at the right times. This is also crucial when landing from a jump.

The power pickups feel pretty solid from what I can tell. The one weapon that can definitely ruin your day is the landmine. Sometimes it is a pain to avoid because of how massive the trigger field is. Also if you drop these with an enemy tail gating you, the mine will also do damage to you as well. There are other pick ups such as boost, machine gun, missile and also a shield. There might be more and I just haven't picked them up yet.

The biggest problem I have with it is what PaulloDEC stated.

Biggest issue for me right now is how incredibly touchy the physics are. If you so much as glance at a piece of geometry as you pass it, you'll find yourself 50ft in the air, backwards, sideways and upside down in no-time flat. Getting any air at all is an absolute liability, with your car almost guaranteed to be facing any direction other than forwards by the time you've landed. In the few races I've played so far, I often found myself placing simply because half the other racers had launched themselves into bits of scenery they weren't smart enough to escape from. It seems like the game wants you to go fast, but only if you're capable of performing a 100% perfect racing line the entire time.

This is still in Alpha so this will probably be improved in later builds.

Still I am happy with what they have achieved with this build and can't wait to see future development.

By the way here are the specs of my PC.
- EVGA GTX 970 4GB
- Intel Core i5 4670k
- RAM 16GB

Ivan

How did I miss this kickstarter... :(

It looks really good, I can't believe we can't have more arcade racers like this.

How did I miss this kickstarter... :(

It looks really good, I can't believe we can't have more arcade racers like this.
Because it was cancelled lol (wasn't looking positive though)

I'd like to get in on early access but I'll probably wait until there's a bit more there (swimming in games at the moment). Looking forward to supporting GRIP though, arcade racing lives!

Still some physics problem but the devs are aware of it. This game needs a 'wrong way' indicator. Other then that, the sense of speed feels awesome!! Feels really good when you press on boost! 😄

PaulloDEC

For those who have played the alpha, how is the track design..?

There's only one "complete" track in the alpha at the moment, which you can see HERE. Collision/physics issues make it kinda tricky at the moment, but from what I've played I feel it's going to be a lot of fun down the line.

There's also a second track (student-made, apparently) with a much more open design. You can see some gameplay of that HERE. I actually really dig this one, it's a refreshing change from the tight corridors of the other track.

Top Bottom