• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V has now shipped 75 million copies, NBA 7 million

bud23

Sold more units in 2016 than in 2015.

Nuts

During an earnings call, Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick announced that Grand Theft Auto V has shipped 75 million copies; the last publicly discussed number was 70 million units.

Also during the call, Zelnick announced that NBA 2K17 has shipped nearly 7 million units. That's up 10 percent from NBA 2K16. The new game is poised to become 2K's highest-selling sports game ever. He added that people have collectively played more than 1 billion matches, more than half of which were multiplayer.

Zelnick also revealed that Civilization total franchise sales have now risen to nearly 40 million units.

In terms of financial performance, Take-Two pulled in $476.5 million in revenue, up 15 percent compared to $414.2 million last year. GTA V, GTA Online, WWE 2K17, NBA 2K17, and Civilization VI were called out as being the largest contributors to revenue during the period.

Revenue from digital content jumped 64 percent to $240.2 million, up from $146.4 million. Additionally, "recurrent consumer spending," which includes microtransactions, DLC, and virtual currency, made up 39 percent of digital revenue and 20 percent of total revenue. GTA V, GTA Online, Civilization VI, and NBA 2K17 were mentioned as being the largest contributors here.

Overall, Take-Two posted a loss of $29.8 million for the quarter, which is better than the $42.4 million loss it took during the same period last year.

"Take-Two had a highly successful holiday quarter," Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick said in prepared remarks. "Consumer demand for our new releases and catalog titles was strong throughout the period, and players continued to engage significantly with our games after purchase. As a result, we delivered better-than-expected bookings, including our best-ever quarter for recurrent consumer spending, along with double-digit growth in both net revenue and net cash provided by operating activities."

Take-Two paid $250 million to acquire mobile game developer Social Point earlier this month. The company is expected to further discuss that and more during a call scheduled for 1:30 PM PT today. Check back with GameSpot for updates.

Take-Two is just the latest to report earnings in recent weeks. Check out the stories below to see how other companies are doing; Activision, Ubisoft, and Nvidia report earnings on February 9.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gta-5-ships-75-million-copies-as-nba-2k17-approach/1100-6447639/

C4F9ARjWEAArg4l.jpg

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/829081273419362304

My god. I think it was Zhugeex who said that when people buy a console they buy GTAV and that there is a strong positive correlation -- like whenever GTAV sales go up, so do consoles sales go up, because it's the main thing people buy with a console. So no surprise!

Just makes me wonder, how the success of the Games as a Service thing will affect the emphasis on GTAVI's online vs SP. Though to be honest that'll probably be released next generation. Speaking of which, it'll be the first generation of consoles that won't have a native GTA game since the series' inception. AAA(A) development is way too long nowadays lol :p

Just how expensive are their games (development + marketing + ongoing support) that they've been losing money despite their enormous sales?

Overall, Take-Two posted a loss of $29.8 million for the quarter, which is better than the $42.4 million loss it took during the same period last year.

liquidtmd

Banned
It's fucking bananas considering (here in the UK at least) it's mostly still at least £30.

Has the odd sales drop but held its retail value like no game I've seen in many years.

Just how expensive are their games (development + marketing + ongoing support) that they've been losing money despite their enormous sales?

Take-Two publishes many other non-rockstar games.

I'd be astonished if we see a GTAVI this generation to be honest.

I'm pretty sure we will see GTAVI at the end of this gen because they want us to double dip again. Maybe triple dip with PC later.

opricnik

Banned
My god. I think it was Zhugeex who said that when people buy a console they buy GTAV and that there is a strong positive correlation -- like whenever GTAV sales go up, so do consoles sales go up, because it's the main thing people buy with a console. So no surprise!

People buy consoles for GTA not the other way around :)

Holy Shit and i thought Mario Kart Wii Sales were already insane lol.

Well Mario Kart Wii sales are still insane considering it sold a little less than half of this on a userbase of 100m, while GTA5 was released on PS3 + X360 + PS4 + XBO + PC. Still impressive for a single title

I'd be astonished if we see a GTAVI this generation to be honest.

yeah, I really don't see it happening, but hey, who knows. GTA IV at the ass end of this generation might be a move Rockstar makes just because it printed them fuckloads of money last time. People double and triple dipped like crazy on GTA V, probably moreso than any re-release before it. Despite the game being two years old at the time!

I frankly don't care when GTA VI hits, or how long it takes to make, as long as it's DC/Philly/Baltimore and not somewhere we've seen before in a GTA game. I'm not even buying GTA VI if it's set in Liberty City, San Fierro, or Vice City.

Actually, an analogue to modern Miami might be pretty dope, especially since Rockstar would be able to make their map nearer to the actual size of the city than their previous maps, and it'd be a fresh shift in culture and the demographics of the ingame NPCs

ajpw

It's fucking bananas considering (here in the UK at least) it's mostly still at least £30.

Has the odd sales drop but held its retail value like no game I've seen in many years.

saw it for 25 quid in tescos today and that's the lowest i've seen for a long time

Pagusas

Elden Member
yeah, I really don't see it happening, but hey, who knows. GTA IV at the ass end of this generation might be a move Rockstar makes just because it printed them fuckloads of money last time.

I don't care when GTA VI hits as long as it's DC/Philly/Baltimore

GTA6 in the final year of this gen, 1 year later it's released for PC's and "next" gen system, with the now loved first person mode added agai.

This has less to do with Rockstar's development processes and the failures amongst other 2k properties. In terms of 2k, x-com 2 and civilisation are the only stand out franchises to sell well recently. I would expect once Red Dead and the inevitable Bioshock reveal happen they'll see a return to profitability.

That's what I was going to say. Maybe because they acquired the mobile dev for quarter of a billion? But that's kind of mentioned as a totally different point, as though there's no correlation.

Edit - no it can't be as this earnings call is up to the end of 2016. How the fuck does this company still keep losing money?!

It is amazing to me how many copies GTA games sell and how small of a pop cultural footprint it seems to have as a result.

And I feel weird saying this because I have so much trouble explaining and articulating it. It's entirely anecdotal and probably wrong.

But I don't really know anybody who is "into" GTA. For its absolutely enormous playerbase, it seems to have a fraction of the cultural presence as decidedly less popular brands. Maybe it's the lack of merchandise?

I don't actually know. Someday I'll have to do a ton of research and see if there's actually anything to my strange perception. But when I think about "casual mainstream" games, I think of Skyrim/Fallout. I think of Madden. I think of Assassin's Creed. These are the games all my casual friends have and buy consoles for. These are the games I can reference or joke about and have them get. But for my entire life, GTA has been this super huge brand that doesn't seem to reach pop culture in any meaningful way.

It reminds me of when I collected movie posters. Everybody had a Jaws poster because it was one of the quintessential movie posters. But nobody ever displayed them or took pride in their Jaws poster because it was just so utterly expected of you. Like, "yeah, I have a Jaws poster. Who cares? Not even I care, and I own one." Sometimes GTA feels like that to me. Like it's the video game everybody HAS to buy but their interest in it and passion for it isn't really comparable to much smaller brands that are famous for their massive and colorful fanbases.

I'm just babbling. I'm really just in awe that a game like GTAV is so huge. It makes me question my reality.

Pagusas

Elden Member
First person mode will be a staple moving forward, just you watch.

VR mode is what they'll add in the remaster.

I truely hope so, I could never go back to third person mode. Played the whole game through on PC in first person mode and it was a 100x better experience.

DR2K

Banned
Sells 75 million copies. Loses millions. Rockstar is gonna have to make GTAVI in order to save take two.

Sells 75 million copies. Loses millions. Rockstar is gonna have to make GTAVI in order to save take two.

They are up Year over Year though. Trending in the right direction again. It's mostly Gearbox's mighty failures that dragged things down so badly.

Top Bottom