• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V has now shipped 75 million copies, NBA 7 million

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Still have yet to play/buy it even though I'm a huge GTA fan

man I'm really behind aha, good job though rockstar. Use that money and pump it into RDR2

D.Lo

It's got to be the ultimate multi-console purchase game. I know many people who got it on both PS3 and PS4. Really the new version should have been called 'Deluxe' or whatever, if it straddled the generation before it would have been called 'HD'.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I remember some threads on here pre PS360 release saying that GTA was a dying brand.

It really is the ultimate sandbox game. I try to get on every few days and the amount of content is ridiculous and stuff like the race track maker will keep playing even longer.

The legs on this game will run and run.
I vaguely remember someone saying it wasn't going to be a big deal for current gen. That ppl already bought it and it wasn't gonna sell that well.

I was so shocked I think I saved that thread for historical purposes... lol.

GlamFM

Banned
Just realized I bought 5 copies of this!

- Limited collectors 360 version for me.
- Regular 360 version for my brother.
- PS3 version for a random Gaffer I felt bad for.
- PS4 remaster
- PC version I still play today.

oops....

Bluth54

I wonder if the Switch sells well they'll port GTA5 to it to squeeze out some extra sales.

It probably depends on how well the Switch sells and how easy it would be to port.

Turkoop

Banned
After making so much profit with GTAV, I'm sure they can develop a Bully Remake then a Sequel, after this AGENT and a Remake of Vice City AND NO MATTER IF THOSE GAMES FAIL, THEY HAVE STILL ENOUGH MONEY.

RocknRola

I'm so out of the loop with its current features. I dropped it after beating the online Heists twice. The Online is cool I guess, but not for me. The World (in SP) felt very dead after beating the story.

I really didnt like to see the focus shift so strongly to the online (no more SP DLC :( ...) but it clearly worked for them. Hoping RDR2 retains the fun World of the previous game.

number47

360 and got a ftee copy for ps4. assumed alot of people double dipped. maybe there are records of who transferred their accounts to a new console. and the games been dirty cheap for a while. best buy always seems to buy copies still at $24 time to time. only to resell at $30.

and nba sells consistently. GTA has become the new front for online cash games. doubt gta6 will be as exciting

Don't understand it and probably never will. The games are not bad but also not great. i don't see why they are this much bigger than everything else.

Congrats!

Well deserved. One of the most impeccably crafted games ever. Specific elements of the gameplay may not appeal to everyone, but there's more detail in GTA V than any other game, ever, and the work that went into it from the developers, artists, and designers, is unparalleled.

Rockstar deserves all the money for this game. If Rockstar wants more money, they can release a 15-hour DLC pack in the same map and it'll sell bonkers.

Also, obligatory: GTA Online is a terrible mess.

Wonder what kind of numbers RDR2 hits.

If it gets 1/10 as much as GTA V it'll still be a runaway success. GTAV is certainly bolstered, too, in that it was released on two generations of consoles. Though, the re-release was not just a haphazard high texture upgrade, the changes to the game (First person mode, the thousands of new animations, new missions, director mode, etc) made it feel incredibly fresh.

Maybe somebody can explain this, but why does Rockstar need Take Two? Every time I even see that they have a publisher like that I think: this is the biggest game brand in the world and doesn't need some middle man to push it.

Am I crazy? Couldn't Rockstar literally purchase an entire new office of people to handle all publishing duties themselves? I must be missing something.

They could, but they'd have to sue Take2 to break out of it. There's also a lot of benefits that being owned by a billion-dollar publisher helps with, especially when it comes to managing international publishing, attorneys, contracts, and other mintutae that can bury teams focused on development. You can be a good manager of a huge development team, but a terrible sales/legal/HR/coordinating manager.

I remember when people were saying it'd sell less than GTA4. ������

... who said that? Thought it had more pre-orders than GTA4. The GTAV reveal trailer crashed Twitter, NeoGaf, and dozens of websites. Our work network crumbled for the afternoon.

This and Red Dead Redemption is all rockstar need for the next 3 years.

I think that's all we're going to get from R* any more; alternating GTA and RDR instalments every 3-4 years.

I wonder if the Switch sells well they'll port GTA5 to it to squeeze out some extra sales.

It probably depends on how well the Switch sells and how easy it would be to port.

There's more chance of me having a passionate affair with Jenna Coleman than there is GTAV coming out for the Switch.

GlamFM

Banned
Same here, id say the average gamer has bought it at least twice. Crazy figures.

Actually.....

Just realized I bought 5 copies of this!

- Limited collectors 360 version for me.
- Regular 360 version for my brother.
- PS3 version for a random Gaffer I felt bad for.
- PS4 remaster
- PC version I still play today.

oops....

M1nty

Unconfirmed Member
GTA V is a real beast. When GTAVI get announced, the worldwide hype will be something special...

Just look at RDR 2, all it took was for them to change their twitter avatar and the world went nuts. but I agree, GTA VI will be bigger than big.

Hahs

After making so much profit with GTAV, I'm sure they can develop a Bully Remake then a Sequel, after this AGENT and a Remake of Vice City AND NO MATTER IF THOSE GAMES FAIL, THEY HAVE STILL ENOUGH MONEY.
They have enough dollars to make their own console...75mill multipled by $60 = CHA! friggin !CHING... for a looong time!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I guess a Switch port could add few millions to this, or do they expect more sales on existing platforms?

-shadow-

I'm surprised how much this keeps selling new when I see it in second hand stores in dozens each and every time and dirt cheap. It's insane!

They have enough dollars to make their own console...75mill multipled by $60 = CHA! friggin !CHING... for a looong time!

It doesn't work like that, but I'm fairly sure we found out a while back T2 had earned something like $2.5 billion from GTAV sales and $0.5 billion from GTA Online. Probably crept up a bit by now.

NoKisum

Cool. So this means Rockstar finally has enough money to make the Single Player DLC and fix the Online economy, right?

I truely hope so, I could never go back to third person mode. Played the whole game through on PC in first person mode and it was a 100x better experience.

People who haven't played the PC version yet are missing out.
PC's got the only version of GTA V with good controls, whether you play with a controller or with kb/m
the drastic improvement in input response time is a game changer

Hahs

It doesn't work like that, but I'm fairly sure we found out a while back T2 had earned something like $2.5 billion from GTAV sales and $0.5 billion from GTA Online. Probably crept up a bit by now.
Lol yeah I exaggerated, but nonetheless - dollars for days

Top Bottom