• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V has now shipped 75 million copies, NBA 7 million

HonMirin

My god. I think it was Zhugeex who said that when people buy a console they buy GTAV and that there is a strong positive correlation -- like whenever GTAV sales go up, so do consoles sales go up, because it's the main thing people buy with a console. So no surprise!
This is exactly what this is. Not to take away from its seemingly unstoppable success, but it's all I ever saw along with Uncharted 4. Can't see it slowing down either; all they need to do is add somethings to online and the swarm will rise again.

Jumeira

Banned
Juggernaut. Gaming phenomenon. Just unbelievable, this game is still £50/$60, full priced console game selling 75 million in unprecedented. And then make money via digital downloads, great accomplishment.

blakep267

I find it amazing how 2k has been the most played Xbox game for the last few months. It's probably sold less than Battlefield, COd etc but it's still #1( this is all US)

DevilFox

One game has sold as much as almost 20 years of Gran Turismo. And Zelda and Halo and even Resident Evil if my memory works. Fuck me lmao.

I couldn't even finish the game and i regret buying it.

What is wrong with me?

Nothing. Everyone has different tastes.

It took me to play it on PS4 to finally finish it after getting bored with it on PS3 and, even then, I still don't consider it a "must have" game.

bud23

My god. I think it was Zhugeex who said that when people buy a console they buy GTAV

Yeah

CqgCDpQWEAAZ_7t.jpg

https://twitter.com/zhugeex/status/767866036657983488

Maybe somebody can explain this, but why does Rockstar need Take Two? Every time I even see that they have a publisher like that I think: this is the biggest game brand in the world and doesn't need some middle man to push it.

Am I crazy? Couldn't Rockstar literally purchase an entire new office of people to handle all publishing duties themselves? I must be missing something.

I don't own the game at all even if I have played it years ago. I expect to be added to those numbers when I see a big enough sale discount in the future I guess.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
They pulled the trigger on PS4 and XB1 and that shit paid off big time
This isn't Sony or Microsoft's doing. Take-two knows their games sell consoles. They don't really take much risk putting the game on new consoles once they know they've tapped out the old ones.

Maybe somebody can explain this, but why does Rockstar need Take Two? Every time I even see that they have a publisher like that I think: this is the biggest game brand in the world and doesn't need some middle man to push it.

Am I crazy? Couldn't Rockstar literally purchase an entire new office of people to handle all publishing duties themselves? I must be missing something.
Do they even own the franchise, and if they don't I don't think they have the money to buy it. Everything is working well why change a good thing?

Do they even own the franchise, and if they don't I don't think they have the money to buy it. Everything is working well why change a good thing?

Well, there are numerous reasons. For one, you're at the mercy of your publisher for everything related to the game. Sometimes it's an ok mercy, other times not. Another is that you are typically giving your publisher a big cut of revenue. And, of course, the muddy legal problems you get into, including if Take Two themselves get into hot water due to mis-management or whatever.

It's sort of like if you are a massive band (radiohead?) and realize you could just drop your new album tomorrow on your own and people would still buy it. That's what I'm wondering.

Ogodei

It is amazing to me how many copies GTA games sell and how small of a pop cultural footprint it seems to have as a result.

And I feel weird saying this because I have so much trouble explaining and articulating it. It's entirely anecdotal and probably wrong.

But I don't really know anybody who is "into" GTA. For it's absolutely enormous playerbase, it seems to have a fraction of the cultural presence as decidedly less popular brands. Maybe it's the lack of merchandise?

I don't actually know. Someday I'll have to do a ton of research and see if there's actually anything to my strange perception. But when I think about "casual mainstream" games, I think of Skyrim/Fallout. I think of Madden. I think of Assassin's Creed. These are the games all my casual friends have and buy consoles for. These are the games I can reference or joke about and have them get. But for my entire life, GTA has been this super huge brand that doesn't seem to reach pop culture in any meaningful way.

It reminds me of when I collected movie posters. Everybody had a Jaws poster because it was one of the quintessential movie posters. But nobody ever displayed them or took pride in their Jaws poster because it was just so utterly expected of you. Like, "yeah, I have a Jaws poster. Who cares? Not even I care, and I own one." Sometimes GTA feels like that to me. Like it's the video game everybody HAS to buy but their interest in it and passion for it isn't really comparable to much smaller brands that are famous for their massive and colorful fanbases.

I'm just babbling. I'm really just in awe that a game like GTAV is so huge. It makes me question my reality.

That is definitely true. Like, i've never played Skyrim or GTAV but i know a fair bit about Skyrim due to pop culture references, and don't know a damn thing about GTAV from same.

Raptor

I couldn't even finish the game and i regret buying it.

What is wrong with me?

I bought it and sold it after playing it an hour, but Im seriously considering buying it again just to make sure I dont really like it because this is insane, something must be wrong in the way I play otr something.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I don't get why they aren't bothering with a PS4 Pro patch. They're still updating it, it's still selling, and a Pro patch would make it even more attractive and pull old players (like myself) back in, potentially to spend money (not like myself).

At least the Boost mode makes it more stable, but I'd love something for the picture.

This has less to do with Rockstar's development processes and the failures amongst other 2k properties. In terms of 2k, x-com 2 and civilisation are the only stand out franchises to sell well recently. I would expect once Red Dead and the inevitable Bioshock reveal happen they'll see a return to profitability.

This isn't true at all.

Mafia 3 and NBA 2K 17 both sold huge numbers.

Take Two are the only major publisher in the industry consistently posting losses. All while having huge franchises, well selling games, and large digital margins.

I do not understand how it's possible

anecdotal but I upload a lot of GTA V vids... very small amount of views but my total view count is decent enough I get a pretty good sample of game interest. for example, MGS V had a pretty steady 3-4 month climb and decline in views; I could see a bump when they re-added Quiet, or the MGS3 DLC; Witcher 3 Blood & Wine, the same thing; games like GTA V or Witcher 3 B&W always always get bumps around Christmas (popular gift; free time to play a new GOTY-quality expansion they skipped, etc). The point being, it's been interesting watching the various viewership trends and you definitely can begin to recognize patterns.

anyhow, I mention this because probably the most impressive thing I've noticed is how consistent my GTA V video views have been. even on old videos (I have a pretty popular one on an old money/stock glitch that we actually discovered together here on GAF at current-gen release hehe)...

the new views per month (on old old videos) have been basically steady for just over 2 years.

basically zero decline. my old popular videos basically get the exact same steady traffic every single month, with a bump each Christmas holidays. there's just a constant stream of new gamers, I presume, every single month, searching for tutorial videos.

granted, if I upload a new gameplay video, it never gets as many views as, say, new videos when I played through a new game, or make a little tutorial about a secret in a new game. but in terms of traffic to any video >6 months old? GTA V is just a beast, constantly and consistently staying even every single month :p basically no decline in viewership in 2 years.

Ray Down

Banned
This isn't true at all.

Take Two are the only major publisher in the industry consistently posting losses. All while having huge franchises, we'll selling games, and large digital margins.

2K is an anomaly.

That is definitely true. Like, i've never played Skyrim or GTAV but i know a fair bit about Skyrim due to pop culture references, and don't know a damn thing about GTAV from same.

Exactly. Like, I've never played an Assassin's Creed game in my life except for about 1 hour of the first game. But I could tell you where a lot of them are set. I can tell you the names of the assassins. I could tell you the basic plot and talk about how the fanbase has divided over the years on what AC is all about.

I've never played Skyrim, but I know all about the dovahkiin and fus ro dah and about swearing your allegiance to werewolves or vampires and people hoarding mundane items like cheese or skulls.

Think about something like Overwatch. Or Tomb Raider. Or any of these inescapable characters or series that manage to become commonplace house-hold names, but I couldn't tell you the names of two of the three playable characters in GTAV.

I couldn't tell you much about GTA. I've been into video games for 20 years and have been on forums and part of communities for most of that. GTA just doesn't have the presence that much, much smaller games have.

Like, consider how well-known many elements of Pokémon and Uncharted and Halo are. These brands are microscopic on a game to game basis compared to the likes of GTA. But it's not like you see GTA fan art or memes that help build a sense of popularity. GTA just exists in the background and is somehow the hugest brand in gaming.

It just makes me wonder who all these people are, where they are, and how they feel about GTA. More people should own Grand Theft Auto V right now than any game released in the last ten years. But where are all these people?

Simo

Insane. I literally finished up the story a couple of weeks ago...nearly 4 years later when I first played it. That was mainly due to just jumping into online when it launched and sinking all my time into that.

I don't get why they aren't bothering with a PS4 Pro patch. They're still updating it, it's still selling, and a Pro patch would make it even more attractive and pull old players (like myself) back in, potentially to spend money (not like myself).

At least the Boost mode makes it more stable, but I'd love something for the picture.

Probably because 80 to 90% of the studios combined are working on RDR2. Apparently alot of staff at Rockstar North got shifted from GTA online to RDR.

Some interesting tidbits came up about RDR2 during the call but nothing major.

forrest

formerly nacire
That multiplatform, multigeneration, slow release roll out.

Still salty over PC's final release date.
LLShC.gif

Ernest

Banned
And still no single-player DLC?

Even after the main game, there's still so much untouched potential left in that map/world!

Akai__

This isn't true at all.

Take Two are the only major publisher in the industry consistently posting losses. All while having huge franchises, well selling games, and large digital margins.

Mafia 3 also had the ridiculous "Needs to sell 8 Million copies to break even." thing going arround. It doesn't surprise me a single bit that they are posting losses, if they are just throwing money out of the window left and right.

Warablo

I have no idea what I am talking about, but I think maybe Take Two owns most of the tech that Rockstar uses for their open world games.

Mafia 3 also had the ridiculous "Needs to sell 8 Million copies to break even." thing going arround. It doesn't surprise me a single bit that they are posting losses, if they are just throwing money out of the window left and right.

I mean I guess but that game has already shipped 5 million copies. It shouldn't be posting losses.

2K have to have some terrible management / budgeting going on internally. EA, Ubisoft, Activision, etc aren't posting losses.

Gurish

My god. I think it was Zhugeex who said that when people buy a console they buy GTAV and that there is a strong positive correlation -- like whenever GTAV sales go up, so do consoles sales go up, because it's the main thing people buy with a console. So no surprise!

Just makes me wonder, how the success of the Games as a Service thing will affect the emphasis on GTAVI's online vs SP. Though to be honest that'll probably be released next generation. Speaking of which, it'll be the first generation of consoles that won't have a native GTA game since the series' inception. AAA(A) development is way too long nowadays lol :p

Hmm why do you think this gen won't get a new GTA? Rockstar aren't gonna pass on more than 140M (by than) users, they will release GTA6 towards the end of this gen and will basically do the same trick as GTA5 with next gen remasters (at 4K ;)) and a PC release later on, it's the only way for them to reach such numbers again, no way they're gonna skip his gen and release it on a new platform with barely any users on it.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I just got an XBO S, first game I bought was GTA V.

When I get a PS4 Pro, first game I buy will be GTA V.

Yup, I believe it when ppl say they get the game with a new console.

I'm pretty sure we will see GTAVI at the end of this gen because they want us to double dip again. Maybe triple dip with PC later.

It wouldn't surprise me if this is what they do going forward. New GTA at the tail end of a gen. The port it over to the next gen for that sweet sweet double/triple dip money. They see how well it worked this time. Probably the way to go from now on.

Akai__

I mean I guess but that game has already shipped 5 million copies. It shouldn't be posting losses.

2K have to have some terrible management / budgeting going on internally. EA, Ubisoft, Activision, etc aren't posting losses.

How shouldn't they post losses, if they are still short 3 Million copies at full price?

Anth0ny

And still no single-player DLC?

Even after the main game, there's still so much untouched potential left in that map/world!

scary how much more they could be doing

they're just coasting on online right now and making boatloads of money

Top Bottom