• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V has now shipped 75 million copies, NBA 7 million

Horns

There has never been a game that deserved those more than GTA V. It's such a fantastic game. I've lost count the number of times I've played through it.

Nategc20

Banned
With a price drop to saaaay, $45 or the sweet $30 markdown, people are going to double and triple dip on this between all three major platforms. Like I see a boost in sales if the ps4 pro boost mode gets advertised, I see a boost in sales when the scorpio come out. I can see this game selling well into the next gen.

I think before the gen is up with a price drop, its hitting around 110 million.

SebastianM

I remember back in 2013 when we were wondering if GTA could impact Cod Ghosts sales somehow. Huh. (lol)

Well deserved Rockstar.

I think they should. GTA 5 playable would probably sell 2 millions. Easy money.

A gta audience on a Nintendo console would be very limited. Also the game would be pretty gimped compared to current gen versions not to mention Nintendo doesn't have an online infustructure to handle GTAO

tauroxd

Amazing, now where are my animals in online mode for me to run over and hunt?!

image.php

lol

now, seriously I would say they deserve this and more sales, such and awesome experience.

Yet to buy and play this game but I intend it to be my next purchase

Bought a ps4 for mgs5 and boy did that game deliver! Cant see how gta5 Will surpass that experience for me.

barit

Where is my Pro Patch Rockstar? Fucking hell man this god damn game going to sell over 75m copies is absolutely nuuuuuts. There will never be a real GTAVI after that, it's only GTA the MMO from now on.

KAP151

Double dipped and enjoyed every second of both versions.

Deserves every sale. Benchmark on how to do open world games.

D.Lo

Backwards compatibility would eliminate the need for double dipping on console unless they do remaster.
This sales figure is an argument against backward compatibility. They managed to sell the game again to a huge chunk of the same people who bought it before, in a package that sits somewhere between a full blown remake and a straight port, essentially a DX version. I'm sure various other cross gen games got some double dips as well when people upgraded consoles 1-2 years after their release.

If there is full BC, this cannot happen again = lost sales.

Belker

I was thinking that GTA IV or an earlier title could be remade, in the sense I imagine its technically possible, a Switch game, but with an emphasis on local multilplayer.

I had great fun in IV tooling around with friends online, but to do that with people in the same room would be much, much more fun.

Grand Theft Auto V is an amazing game. One of the few ones I enjoy replaying as well. The ludicrously monstrous sales are well deserved. :p

GlamFM

Banned
Ok that's your prediction.

Now about my question, would you guys be interested by GTA5 on the go?

It´s common sense.

Downporting GTA to run on a Nintendo console is SO NOT R*.

They made Chinatown Wars for DS once and quickly found out that their audience is elsewhere.

It´s a pipe dream.

It´s common sense.

Downporting GTA to run on a Nintendo console is SO NOT R*.

They made Chinatown Wars for DS once and quickly found out that their audience is elsewhere.

It´s a pipe dream.

Chinatown Wars did worse even on PSP though, which had hosted the successful LCS/VCS games. Chinatown Wars' problem was the top down presentation, but generally speaking GTA was always a poor fit for a low powered Nintendo handheld (they also tried with GTA1/2 for GBC and some weird GTA for GBA). It might fare better on a Nintendo console that can run a modern style GTA game, but we just don't know how well, or whether it's worth the effort. What's sure is GTA does super well ignoring Nintendo consoles anyway so there's no major incentive on the part of R*.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
another 8 million and it will overtake Wii Sports to sit 3rd place just behind Minecraft (108m) + Tetris (495m).

i don't play GTA V much anymore since they obvious don't care for solo players but credit where it's due.

gelf

Meanwhile I'm still waiting for the price to drop further because I only value GTA at a fairly low level. I only got GTA4 when it was less than £5.
Still I'm one more potential sale for them eventually.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Meanwhile I'm still waiting for the price to drop further because I only value GTA at a fairly low level. I only got GTA4 when it was less than £5.
Still I'm one more potential sale for them eventually.

you'll be waiting a while yet. i don't think it has ever gone under £20 and it's over 3 years old.

you'll be waiting a while yet. i don't think it has ever gone under £20 and it's over 3 years old.

For real....

I bought it on ps3 full price then bought it again on ps4 full price
Disc got damaged

Bought it again (disc only) from Ebay for like £18 only a couple months ago

On a side note -
Apparently it had made $1.98 billion by May 2014 and it had sold less than half of its now 75million total sales.....

That's an insane amount of money

Fox Mulder

Good for them, although I wonder if we'll ever get a GTA VI with how much money they're getting from online.

I just have zero interest in gta online. Already given up on single player ever happening.

Good for Rockstar, they deserve their success, they treat their customers well. Chinatown Wars is still the best GTA game though. And Sleeping Dogs ruined GTAV for me.

gelf

I'm happy to wait, like I say I don't value the GTA series at more then a fun quick mess around game anymore. I've got plenty of other things to play in the meantime. If we're up to GTA7 by then then so be it.

I'm really happy for their success, it's a great game.

With how popular GTA Online is though I do wonder what kind of impact that's going to have on RDR2. I can see a big emphasis put into the online for that game, for better or worse.

Top Bottom