• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardian source: "“They now have specific concrete... evidence of collusion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cagey

Banned
Yeah I really debated posting this. But that whole crowd is suddenly buzzing that something will happen soon and the NY AG will be throwing the RICO book at the whole lot of them(incl. Trump kids).

Giuliani definitely has some skeletons. He's represented Rosneft before.
Schneiderman would relish the opportunity to treat this like an organized crime family.

Lmo911

Is it sad I really want Sessions caught up in this?

As a Alabamian I have had the joy of watching:

-Bently resign
-Hubbard getting busted for corruption
-Roy Moore forced to step down from the Alabama supreme court.

I just need Sessions to get busted for colluding with Russia and Luther Strange getting busted for being bought off with Session's senate seat and I'll have one hell of a royal flush.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
HEY FRANK

I don't disagree, but the energy behind the Russia investigation is better used elsewhere. We can't make it happen any faster. We have zero control over what happens next. But you can show up to a townhall, write your rep, and contribute money to candidates.

Patrick!

I don't work for the FBI - and what energy I do spend on this is simply reading and research. I have been emailing and calling and harassing my representatives non stop since November.

I can pat my head and rub my belly at the same time!

KHarvey16

An interesting point made in an article written by John Schindler (who I guess I could take or leave but seems solid on how the IC works given his background) is that the FBI has to work very hard to find non-classified evidence corroborating or leading to the same conclusions as what they potentially have in highly classified evidence. The latter can't really be used in court at all. Like if a highly classified source or method gave them some evidence it won't be publicly revealed and the FBI has to find another way of proving the same thing.

So the "just do something already" stuff doesn't really fly.

guek

Banned
An interesting point made in an article written by John Schindler (who I guess I could take or leave but seems solid on how the IC works given his background) is that the FBI has to work very hard to find non-classified evidence corroborating or leading to the same conclusions as what they potentially have in highly classified evidence. The latter can't really be used in court at all. Like if a highly classified source or method gave them some evidence it won't be publicly revealed and the FBI has to find another way of proving the same thing.

Why couldn't they declassify evidence if it was obtained legally?

KHarvey16

Why couldn't they declassify evidence if it was obtained legally?

You have to reveal how you got it. You can't really just show up with a recording or a statement or an email and say "found this...totally legitimate."

If it comes down to it after exhausting every possible avenue maybe they'll selectively declassify certain programs or capabilities depending on the stakes but it's not their first choice certainly. That work is what will take time.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Patrick!

I don't work for the FBI - and what energy I do spend on this is simply reading and research. I have been emailing and calling and harassing my representatives non stop since November.

I'm speaking more generally. I'm talking about the number of people I know in real life that spend their days retweeting every Info Wars-like connection to something Russia this or something Russia that.

???

If there was collusion what the hell else could be more important? This IS where the resources should be.

Grassroots energy, not institutional and agency energy.

KHarvey16

I'm speaking more generally. I'm talking about the number of people I know in real life that spend their days retweeting every Info Wars-like connection to something Russia this or something Russia that.

Grassroots energy, not institutional and agency energy.

I think another aspect of this, and we see it here all the time, is that people associate huge reveals and bigly leaks with investigative progress behind the scenes. If we go 12 hours without some bombshell people get discouraged. It would be helpful I think to decouple public revelations or interest from the actual work going on and not interpret them as a direct representation of how things are going.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
???

If there was collusion what the hell else could be more important? This IS where the resources should be.

Pushing policies that matter like medicare for all, weed legalization, free college, anti-military industrial complex, anti-prison industrial complex, sex work decriminalization, etc.

Or, we could do a Rachel Maddow and spend hours on her newfound Glenn Beck-like fervor for "dot connecting".

The former is a better use of time, in order to construct a platform for people to vote for.

guek

Banned
You have to reveal how you got it. You can't really just show up with a recording or a statement or an email and say "found this...totally legitimate."

If it comes down to it after exhausting every possible avenue maybe they'll selectively declassify certain programs or capabilities depending on the stakes but it's not their first choice certainly. That work is what will take time.
Ok that makes sense, thanks

Mully

Patrick!

Use that 343 clout in the districts east of the mountains!

If there is cause to suspect that high-ranking officials, if not the C-in-C himself, may have committed a serious crime, it makes sense to keep that as a large criticism. For a frivilous Distraction that Nothing Will Come Of, it hasn't helped his popularity, nor allowed him to pass anything requiring negotiation or compromise. And aren't most of the town hall interactions focused on healthcare?

A lot of searching for reasons why people shouldn't care. It really feels like some don't want Republicans to be held accountable for their obstruction of justice, more important for Democrats to be held accountable for inadequate messaging, I suppose.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
It takes time. Watergate took a year or two, and this is moving WAY faster.

To say nothing of the fact that we've never had a President who may have very well committed treason. It's entirely new territory and the IC are probably working on strategies as we speak to facilitate and manage the fallout.

Uh

Iran Contra was treason

JZA

It seems reasonable that they want ironclad cases against all parties involved, and will not act until they do....

...but at the same time, Trump is practically starting wars on a daily basis. If they have good reason to believe there is truth to this story, I think it needs to be publicly voiced so impeachment proceedings can begin. It seems crazy to let a Russian puppet continue to make decisions with huge consequences for the world, daily, just for the sake of making a tighter criminal case.

This is what I keep telling people. I'd hate to be some kind of military commander in this political climate where if you get airstrike orders, there's actual doubt as to whether the strike is protecting American or Russian interests.

Wait what

Is that across the whole country?

Man America sure it's barbaric sometimes

You can't commit treason against just part of a country, so yes it's across the whole country. If you sell out our sovereignty to a foreign power, your sentence is death.

... Is that... not normal around the world? Treason's kind of a huge deal, isn't it?

rjinaz

Is it sad I really want Sessions caught up in this?

As a Alabamian I have had the joy of watching:

-Bently resign
-Hubbard getting busted for corruption
-Roy Moore forced to step down from the Alabama supreme court.

I just need Sessions to get busted for colluding with Russia and Luther Strange getting busted for being bought off with Session's senate seat and I'll have one hell of a royal flush.

No it's not sad. I couldn't be a bigger piece of shit even if I made it my life goal.

Still some saying all the Russia stuff is Info Wars/Glenn Beck conspiracy stuff. Good times, good times

Such a blatant misrepresentation of what those posters were saying. But sure, just telling people to vote against X bad person and never giving them reasons to vote FOR Y person just worked so well in 2016 didnt it

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
One source suggested the official investigation was making progress. “They now have specific concrete and corroborative evidence of collusion,” the source said. “This is between people in the Trump campaign and agents of [Russian] influence relating to the use of hacked material.”

I mean....good and all, but let's get to some damn receipts, then. Trump and co. are starting to do some world-affecting stuff.

Even though the Guardian is pretty legit, 'one source' without even having any sort of agency/government attached to it feels more like speculation at this point.

(Not trying to downplay or discredit the reports, to be clear)

almost_there.gif

god in hell lol.

11/10 sir.

theWB27

Such a blatant misrepresentation of what those posters were saying. But sure, just telling people to vote against X bad person and never giving them reasons to vote FOR Y person just worked so well in 2016 didnt it

They had reasons to vote for the other person. But...the stuff pointed out about x bad person should've been enough to have never got their vote on its on.

You know Trump will some how come out of this glistering. He'll be able to distance him and point the finger, and say see it was them, I had nothing to do with it, I told you I was right all along.

It will be so frustrating because he can just smile and keep lying the public's face because he knows there's no smoking gun to connect him directly.

Yeah I read that too, that's the difficult part of this sticking in court.

They'd either get one of his associates to flip(interesting as far it seems they are rejecting these) or I'd imagine they get financial records as evidence(foreign money/money laundering).

LifEndz

You know Trump will some how come out of this glistering. He'll be able to distance him and point the finger, and say see it was them, I had nothing to do with it, I told you I was right all along.

It will be so frustrating because he can just smile and keep lying the public's face because he knows there's no smoking gun to connect him directly.

While that's been the case with most of his insane statements, actions, etc....this is different. This isn't something his supporters could just chalk up to him being a crass Yankee who "tells it like it is." It'll definitely be a domino effect. None of the slime balls that took part in colluding with Russia to help him win are going to be the fall guy/gal for him.

Kinyou

You can't commit treason against just part of a country, so yes it's across the whole country. If you sell out our sovereignty to a foreign power, your sentence is death.

... Is that... not normal around the world? Treason's kind of a huge deal, isn't it?
Considering that many countries have abolished the death sentence I wouldn't say that this is normal around the world.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Potential collusion with a foreign power to affect an election is a little more than run of the mill, but okay

By run of the mill corruption, I mean the kind of influence peddling that is par for the course for our political system. Collusion without evidence falls into the "not buying it yet" category.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
By run of the mill corruption, I mean the kind of influence peddling that is par for the course for our political system. Collusion without evidence falls into the "not buying it yet" category.

The allegations are basically Watergate contracted out to a foreign government. That's a little more than run of the mill influence peddling.

FZZ

Banned
Hoping for something political/impeachment worthy and the pee pee tape as an added bonus

I bet they're waiting for more evidence/the right time to drop this shit since Trump is going full on flip flop on everything he said

jstripes

Banned

Rob Ford supporters were adamant that the crack tape didn't exist, and when it was actually revealed to exist his supporters swerved into "it's fake, then" mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom