• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
After considering the lore stuff ANet posted, and the descriptions by WoodenPotatoes and others and poking Colin a lil' bit, I predict that shit is gonna get real.

hythloday

No doubt. It's going to be so real. I didn't play the original Guild Wars, but after watching the Wooden Potatoes video about Glint and the new Living Story connections I am so psyched.

Anno

Big thanks to Levyne and Anno for their help in WvW. Its been fun grouping with you two. Liking WvW more and more each time I play. Also drinks help ;) Very fun...If you haven't tried WvW I would encourage to do so!

A couple of good TA runs, some WvW roaming and tips from Anno, and got the colossus kite I needed because a friendly Gafer gave up his spot so I could join. Pretty typical night in GafGuild. Great help. Thanks everyone.

Looking forward to Saturday night missions!

Glad you enjoyed it! There's certainly a handful of us that enjoy WvW and spend some time there, and anyone who's interested is always welcomed along.

After considering the lore stuff ANet posted, and the descriptions by WoodenPotatoes and others and poking Colin a lil' bit, I predict that shit is gonna get real.

I need to watch the new wpoes when I get back.

I'm super excited about this...feel like ill never finish Last of Us...at 46% right now.

Nerokis

Just finished the crystal gathering achievement.

That was painful. And I had literally no idea why I was collecting these things the entire time.

Really nice OT, by the way. Perhaps Dulfy's site would be worth adding as a useful link? Personally, I consider it GW2's much more useful MMO-Champion.

Nerokis

Red ones are passive speed burst. Normal ones regen your energy faster allowing you to speed burst more often.

Sorry, I meant the Sky Crystal scavenger hunt. Definitely useful info, though, as I also didn't really know what I was doing the one time I tried the mini-game. :p Thanks.

Sorry, I meant the Sky Crystal scavenger hunt. Definitely useful info, though, as I also didn't really know what I was doing the one time I tried the mini-game. :p Thanks.

ahh my mistake. Glad the info helps though! lol. But yeah the Sky Crystals were just a cool little scavenger hunt that used the Aspects a bit more. Some of them were definitely a pain but overall it was fun for me.

Nerokis

ahh my mistake. Glad the info helps though! lol. But yeah the Sky Crystals were just a cool little scavenger hunt that used the Aspects a bit more. Some of them were definitely a pain but overall it was fun for me.

I don't know if it's just the way I approached it, but I managed to die probably hundreds of times (or at least close to 20) before I finally finished the achievement. It was fun, though, overall.

And it sounds like you guys definitely had a far more productive GW2 hour than me.

LkPr

Awesome guild mission night as usual. None left behind on any of them I don't think.

On Bounty and Puzzle everybody definitely got through, didn't see anyone left for Rush. :) Great job.

This was the first time I have participated in the Guild Mission night. It was awesome guys! Definitely need to partake in these more often :)

Edit: thanks for all the help everyone too!! Had a few noob mistakes

Aquila

Hearing about you guys' WvW shenanigans, I think I'm going to move back to SBI next time I get a gems card. I jumped ship at the end of free transfers in order to stay in the tier 1/2 WvW brackets, but it sounds like the SBI server has brought itself back to a respectable level. I think it'll be nice to play with some laid back guidies again.

Levyne

Banned
Don't get the wrong impression, SBI is still an average server, and only a portion of GAF participates in WvW. Just don't want you to transfer and regret it.

I don't know if it's just the way I approached it, but I managed to die probably hundreds of times (or at least close to 20) before I finally finished the achievement. It was fun, though, overall.

And it sounds like you guys definitely had a far more productive GW2 hour than me.

Well I wasn't on for the Guild Missions tonight but Saturday Night Fever's do usually go well. And Yeah, I died quite a bit myself. It's pretty much impossible not to.

Hearing about you guys' WvW shenanigans, I think I'm going to move back to SBI next time I get a gems card. I jumped ship at the end of free transfers in order to stay in the tier 1/2 WvW brackets, but it sounds like the SBI server has brought itself back to a respectable level. I think it'll be nice to play with some laid back guidies again.

Honorable Officer by Many Names is right. SBI has a lot of talented players and Gaf certainly has fun when we move out in numbers (albeit small ones) but we're still a mid-T4 server overall. If you get more enjoyment from winning rather than just fighting, you're probably better served staying where you are. We probably lose just a slight bit more than we win and we have very weak overnight numbers but we have great fights during NA primetime.

FGvqAmf.png

As usual, great dungeon runs of SE1 and SE3 with the guild. Always enjoy running them with people who haven't done them. It increases the pool.

markot

Banned
If the devs dont recognise that they sell this game in Australia, with built in latency to deal with, im gonna go mental >_<;

It made super adventure box unplayable to me, and it made even getting to the stupid floating ship a chore...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Q9Jj7P8as&feature=youtu.be

The second part of the bridge bit shows in general what you have to put up with, the moment there are any normal amount of people about, plus the australian latency, and things become awful.

I cant play any melee class at all in wvwvw, I cant play anthing but a ranged elementalist, I cant do the lightning flash move cause of the insane porting that happens to my characters... its so annoying >.>

I couldnt do the adventure box at all, the lag was atrocious, I couldnt hurt the enemies and would die so much.

whenver movement + a skill comes into play, and if its ever a movement skill, im boned.

I cant play my warrior as melee in wvw in any scenario, I cant use melee packs for my engineer... its so frustrating >_<;

In this case, when the 'dolyak delivery' starts in this zone, the vertical jump bit is literally impossible if more then 5 people are doing the same. I couldnt get a good vid of that though >.<

If the devs dont recognise that they sell this game in Australia, with built in latency to deal with, im gonna go mental >_<;

It made super adventure box unplayable to me, and it made even getting to the stupid floating ship a chore...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Q9Jj7P8as&feature=youtu.be

The second part of the bridge bit shows in general what you have to put up with, the moment there are any normal amount of people about, plus the australian latency, and things become awful.

I cant play any melee class at all in wvwvw, I cant play anthing but a ranged elementalist, I cant do the lightning flash move cause of the insane porting that happens to my characters... its so annoying >.>

I couldnt do the adventure box at all, the lag was atrocious, I couldnt hurt the enemies and would die so much.

whenver movement + a skill comes into play, and if its ever a movement skill, im boned.

I cant play my warrior as melee in wvw in any scenario, I cant use melee packs for my engineer... its so frustrating >_<;

In this case, when the 'dolyak delivery' starts in this zone, the vertical jump bit is literally impossible if more then 5 people are doing the same. I couldnt get a good vid of that though >.<

That's kind of strange. I play EU -> US and while there's noticeable lag, I'm usually able to get by just fine except for the most demanding stuff (I'll probably never win the race, for example).

Is there any way to measure latency in this game? I don't think it has a ping counter like WoW does, which is kind of bad.

shigsy

That's kind of strange. I play EU -> US and while there's noticeable lag, I'm usually able to get by just fine except for the most demanding stuff (I'll probably never win the race, for example).

Is there any way to measure latency in this game? I don't think it has a ping counter like WoW does, which is kind of bad.

The only way I know of is to use the Resource Monitor built into Windows (right-click Taskbar -> Start Task Manager -> Resource Monitor button). Go to the Network tab, put a tick next to Gw2.exe under 'Processes with Network Activity' then scroll down a bit to 'TCP Conenctions'.

This is my connection from EU -> US (SBI). I too get quite a few issues on the new island, particularly with the race and the lightning leap ability. Now I'm not sure how accurate this is, or which value to look at (it feels more like 290ms to me), but I guess it gives a fairly close reading:

UGxy6DJ.jpg

The only way I know of is to use the Resource Monitor built into Windows (right-click Taskbar -> Start Task Manager -> Resource Monitor button). Go to the Network tab, put a tick next to Gw2.exe under 'Processes with Network Activity' then scroll down a bit to 'TCP Conenctions'.

This is my connection from EU -> US (SBI). I too get quite a few issues on the new island, particularly with the race and the lightning leap ability. Now I'm not sure how accurate this is, or which value to look at (it feels more like 290ms to me), but I guess it gives a fairly close reading:

UGxy6DJ.jpg

Nice tip! It's on 200 and 270 respectively for me, which isn't too bad all things considered.

Markot, want to try it and see what your ping is? Perhaps also compare it with some fellow Australians?

Retro

So I want to do one of the mage classes but I can't decide. So elementalist or mesmer?

General consensus is that Mesmer is rough and takes a while to get good, while Elementalist has a lot of cooldown juggling and can be a bit overwhelming.

You didn't mention Necromancers, but they seem to be in a good place with the recent changes and worth looking at again.

Complistic

Try necro. Your character doesnt have to look goth either just because they're a necro. They've got an excellent range of abilities, they're very difficult to kill, and while easy to pick up for beginners, there is room for improvement once you are able to master them. Plus deathshroud is super versatile.

Mesmers don't get good until level 60 or so. Then they're pretty good. Don't play ele unless you think you can play them well. Eles are underpowered in the hands of the normal player. Though, they can be excellent in the hands of a really good player. IMO it's one of the few classes that really punishes your every mistake (usually with death because they're so damn squishy).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom