• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Complistic

But Necro's powers are all creepy and evil looking.

They're minions also look disgusting ...

That's why I could never play them. >_>

Their powers are dark, but you dont ever need to see the minions if they creep you out. The other 3 types of utilities skills are all vary viable now.

Their powers are dark, but you dont ever need to see the minions if they creep you out. The other 3 types of utilities skills are all vary viable now.

It's not just that, the sound effects and everything just disgust me.

I would LOVE them ... if not for those creepy dark visual and sound effects ... and if they had cool/ cute minions.

But that's pretty much everything they're about so I guess their just not for me :p

On a side note, I have 62-63 laurals ... anyone know what should I do with them?

Sorian

Banned
So, the wind bazaar will be here until the end of the month, correct? Finally got my thief to a decent level last night where I feel comfortable traveling around and the first thing i did was check out the drinking mini-game and racing mini-game. Having lots of fun with the races (though I can't say I'm great at it yet) and I want time afterwards to go around and fine these kites and crystals.

RobbieH

Try necro. Your character doesnt have to look goth either just because they're a necro. They've got an excellent range of abilities, they're very difficult to kill, and while easy to pick up for beginners, there is room for improvement once you are able to master them. Plus deathshroud is super versatile.

Mesmers don't get good until level 60 or so. Then they're pretty good. Don't play ele unless you think you can play them well. Eles are underpowered in the hands of the normal player. Though, they can be excellent in the hands of a really good player. IMO it's one of the few classes that really punishes your every mistake (usually with death because they're so damn squishy).

I got my Necro to 80 this morning (my first 80) and it was a pretty easy experience. Stacking conditions on a target and walking away knowing it'll die hobbling after you is always fun. I made a Mesmer before the Necro, stopped at 25, went back and crafted to 30 to see if it got any better, it didn't, went back again and crafted to 40 (hooray for cooking), it got a little better but it's still pretty rough. And no perma swiftness hurts.

So, the wind bazaar will be here until the end of the month, correct? Finally got my thief to a decent level last night where I feel comfortable traveling around and the first thing i did was check out the drinking mini-game and racing mini-game. Having lots of fun with the races (though I can't say I'm great at it yet) and I want time afterwards to go around and fine these kites and crystals.

When you're going after the sky crystals use the lowest level alt you can. I spent a small fortune on waypoints. :/

save up 10 more and get the cute wolf pup.

I don't have any character's that need a wolf pup. The only ones that NEED anything are my Khaleesi themed characters ... and the have holo-risen-dragon looking things from the bash.

Any good way to turn them into gold? I have exactly .... less than 5 gold right now :/
Could really use some of that.

Anno

In Buffalo until Wednesday for work :( So bummed. They need to make a web-based guild chat/tell tie in for why you can't play :p I vaguely remembering EverQuest having something similar though I think it was a separate .exe.

Trey

In Buffalo until Wednesday for work :( So bummed. They need to make a web-based guild chat/tell tie in for why you can't play :p I vaguely remembering EverQuest having something similar though I think it was a separate .exe.

You get a chance to go to the Taste of Buffalo?

Anno

You get a chance to go to the Taste of Buffalo?

I didn't realize this was going on or I would've come in earlier! Pulled in to town 15 minutes before it ended. I come up every July, will definitely look to schedule better next year. If its as good as Taste of Columbus it'll be totally worth it. Also, holy shit it's too hot.

LkPr

what is the easiest/fastest way to get Kite fortunes?! I have been opening the boxes all over the open world and have like 4 so far :s I really wanted at least 1 backpiece and helmet

Levyne

Banned
TBH the best source for Kite Fortune for me have been wvw loot bags. Otherwise I just get them every once in a while as a drop.

Arcteryx

Hells yes! That data-mined stuff looks like it contains the Aetherblade weapons and some new armor sets. That pistol + rapier will be mine(and Kasmeers armor if they offer it).

nataku

Hells yes! That data-mined stuff looks like it contains the Aetherblade weapons and some new armor sets. That pistol + rapier will be mine(and Kasmeers armor if they offer it).

I'm sure Evon will put them up for sale... in RNG coffers.

Maybe he'll even graciously bump up the ticket drop rate to 1.4%, in celebration of his running for Captain's Council.

Kite

what is the easiest/fastest way to get Kite fortunes?! I have been opening the boxes all over the open world and have like 4 so far :s I really wanted at least 1 backpiece and helmet
Loot bags in general seem to drop plenty of kite fortunes, the level doesn't seem to matter.

Levyne

Banned
Thanks for posting that info Jira.

Thanks for those who let me dungeon with them today :)

And thanks for always keeping gchat interesting. If they ever somehow macguyvered a guild chat app I would never be productive again...

Dries

So someone from Hefei, China attempted a log-in through my account. How the heck could they know my password?? Something like this has never happened to me before so I'm kinda shocked. Luckily, ArenaNet sends out the authorize log-in E-mails whenever someone from a different location logs on your accout, so I'm pretty sure there is no damage done. Still wowed though.

Jira

Thanks for posting that info Jira.

Thanks for those who let me dungeon with them today :)

And thanks for always keeping gchat interesting. If they ever somehow macguyvered a guild chat app I would never be productive again...

Oauth2 is being worked on for the API as we speak. Your productivity will cease within 2 months.

demented

So someone from Hefei, China attempted a log-in through my account. How the heck could they know my password?? Something like this has never happened to me before so I'm kinda shocked. Luckily, ArenaNet sends out the authorize log-in E-mails whenever someone from a different location logs on your accout, so I'm pretty sure there is no damage done. Still wowed though.
Phishing, brute force easy password or keylogger. One of these 3 and you should take preventing actions against all 3 now.

Dries

Phishing, brute force easy password or keylogger. One of these 3 and you should take preventing actions against all 3 now.

Changing my password won't be enough? And how big is the chance that they'll try to hack other stuff (like online banking)?

jersoc

Changing my password won't be enough? And how big is the chance that they'll try to hack other stuff (like online banking)?

bank account and stuff very small. they go after mmos because they can flip the gold for cash and no one will really go after them. i know it's china and all, but really anywhere any online account should be taken more seriously in the eyes of the law, but whatever.

2 step everything and anything you can

jersoc

4/4 on sunday make-ups.

word, hope more people starting turning out. sundays only days i can do this stuff with a 2nd shift job.

I keep trying, but I can't get into this game... seems slow... and painfully boring. I'm level 25... any advice on faster leveling?

crafting, but that requires gold. so if you're new you probably dont have much. check OP for the guides.

alternate between the starting zones. you can tear through a low level one. there's a nice event chain that runs in queens that you can do once you get the waypoints.

wvw is slow, but probably more fun than mobs if you want that.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Got my mesmer to 80 this weekend. Only class left is Elementalist :)
Wow! That's awesome work. I just got my 3rd 80 and it was a first for me in any game.

Eles are damn awesome. Enjoy it.

I keep trying, but I can't get into this game... seems slow... and painfully boring. I'm level 25... any advice on faster leveling?
Rather than suggest anything blindly, may I ask what you've been doing so far? Have you been enjoying any of it?

Looking for faster leveling in general can be kind of a red flag, assuming this is your first character.

edit: Is it your ranger? That would mean you've gone up 5 levels since... January. So I take it back maybe you do need faster leveling o_O

Retro

Honestly? Don't.

This isn't your average MMO; the game rewards you a ton of xp for doing everything and encourages you to wander. If you play it like it's the average MMO, only going from quest hub to quest hub and grinding monsters, it actually takes longer. There is no path of least resistance here to seek out so you can power-level to 80 where the "real game" starts.

The game you are playing now is the game you'll play at max level. So if you're bored now, you'll likely be bored then.

Maybe try a different profession, as some feel faster than others if that's a problem. Somehow I doubt you'll want to start over, though.

On the races there are different paths and teleport power ups that it seems no one uses. Find them and you'll win a lot of races. I'm not sure if the different paths are short cuts but, most of them are using the electric jump and seem to be a lot quicker. The only issue is falling if someone nails you with something or you miss a jump.

Levyne

Banned
Hawkian in response to benrichardson said:
edit: Is it your ranger? That would mean you've gone up 5 levels since... January. So I take it back maybe you do need faster leveling o_O

I can see ranger being boring to level (if that's what the case is). Being really easy to roam open PVE (one place where a pet is awesome) and using uninteresting bow skills could combine for a pretty drab experience. Using a Sword or GS will make things slightly more exciting for tweaking both of these (combat more in your face so less stale/safe and also you feel more like a ninja and less like a statue). Regardless of weapon type though, if you are going from heart to heart it's gonna be more boring.

Are the press sites going to be able to talk about the next update today, or is it next Monday?

Not sure if they get access to it for previews a week before or just the day before the release.

Guys...I am having an impossible time of playing other games...I just don't care for them. I really want to finish The Last of Us though...

Guys...I am having an impossible time of playing other games...I just don't care for them. I really want to finish The Last of Us though...

Guild Wars 2 has become my new TF2. I buy a game on a Steam sale, install it, and load up GW2. I would, most likely, be better off to spend that money on gems.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Are the press sites going to be able to talk about the next update today, or is it next Monday?

Not sure if they get access to it for previews a week before or just the day before the release.
The official preview goes up tomorrow and that will probably coincide with the lifting of a press embargo, though not for sure.

There are scant few games I will say this about, but The Last of Us is one worth forgoing a few nights of GW2 altogether for. You're barely anywhere at 46%, honestly.
Guild Wars 2 has become my new TF2. I buy a game on a Steam sale, install it, and load up GW2. I would, most likely, be better off to spend that money on gems.
Totally agreed... moreso even that GW before it this is my "default game." I'll sit down to try and decide what I'm in the mood to play and suddenly I'm already running around Lion's Arch.

I'm on vacation the rest of this week, and I'm planning on going back to The Last of Us and finally beating it. We'll see how that goes.

I just havent been able to put down gw2 and start up the ps3 :(

Wow! That's awesome work. I just got my 3rd 80 and it was a first for me in any game.

Eles are damn awesome. Enjoy it.

Yeah - my Ele is 40ish - she's a lot of fun.

The thing that limits my rate of getting to 80 is really that I like to have the money + karma + WvW tokens to get a full set of exotics the moment I hit 80. So I'll let my reserves build up a bit before I finish my Elementalist.

I went a bit overboard on the Mesmer because I wanted two gladii (and also Skybringer, since that's a similar look for a greatsword) and also the lightning dream catcher so they added 20G to the cost so I'm totally poor at the moment.

She looks awesome though, so no regrets!

Did I mention that being able to get a full set of really great (if it weren't for ascended, best) gear straight away at 80 is really really awesome?

Edit - Wow - is it seriously going to be 15G and 400 gems for the 5000 achievement reward? (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Achievement)

I haven't beat another game in nearly a year. It's bad.

Sounds all too familiar....

I do not feel so bad knowing we all are in the same boat.

I don't even bother with Steam sales anymore because even at $1 per game I just don't have time to play anything, this was even before GW2 came out and now I have been able to carve some time for GW2 and I do not want to give that up for any other game especially now with all the updates that we are getting.

Levyne

Banned
I recently got Alan Wake+expansion for a dollar, Metro LL for a penny, and grabbed Darksiders 2 because I liked the first and someday before I perish I want to play the second. None are installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom