• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

TCKaos

Alright who wants to help me test Petrichor? I'll be on at like seven or eight CST. I'm still fixing some stuff, adding tweaks. I think I might put towers on the end of the walkway by each base with DMRs or LRs so that they can fire upon people from the top ridge, but I don't know if it's a good idea.

Coux

Neo Member
Seems reasonable enough.

Some people just aren't going to agree.

I think they're just really looking forward. The consequence may be that it hurts a little now, in the present. Moving to a new technology/format is always a bit difficult and awkward during the transition period. I still have racks of CD's (maybe even some tapes) in my house.

Madness

Seems reasonable enough.

Some people just aren't going to agree.

Because it's not reasonable? How is most of what they announces reasonable? Especially when Sony didn't follow suit? That was a big reason people weren't as upset because they thought Sony would follow. But as it stands, you have one console with pretty normal consumer rights and one that tries to take them all away.

It's fine to say you want to get an XbOne or that you like MS, but you can't say the policies are reasonable to gamers and pass it off as a good thing. I'm getting an XbOne most likely. Not saying I'm happy about it.

I imagine Microsoft wants this week to be over, just one blunder after another.

Telling gamers when don't have Internet, fortunately there is still Xbox 360 is ridiculous.

Tawpgun

It doesn't sound like MS has any intention of changing their policies, not that it's a surprise.

MS defends policy
Their policies make a lot more sense now actually. If their policies create awesome opportunities that ps4 doesn't have, it could be worth it.

However that doesn't stop ms from getting shit on and losing sales because of this frenzy

inorite? He's even making me feel old. Also, I sent you a FR. We better dong (or something) tonight when I get home. I've been a week with no gaming and need to fix that
I shall accept when I get home. Hope you like backpacks.

What age is fourth grade? I suspect I was in 4th grade in 1978 or 1979.
i think it's 9 or 10, so that was '82 for me. Empire Strikes Back wasn't even out yet. When did you come to the US?

Because it's not reasonable? How is most of what they announces reasonable? Especially when Sony didn't follow suit? That was a big reason people weren't as upset because they thought Sony would follow. But as it stands, you have one console with pretty normal consumer rights and one that tries to take them all away.

It's fine to say you want to get an XbOne or that you like MS, but you can't say the policies are reasonable to gamers and pass it off as a good thing. I'm getting an XbOne most likely. Not saying I'm happy about it.

I imagine Microsoft wants this week to be over, just one blunder after another.

Telling gamers when don't have Internet, fortunately there is still Xbox 360 is ridiculous.

Did you read that article linked? The remote shared library thing is selling me on this move to digital.

Coux

Neo Member
Their policies make a lot more sense now actually. If their policies create awesome opportunities that ps4 doesn't have, it could be worth it.

However that doesn't stop ms from getting shit on and losing sales because of this frenzy

As many have said before, I think they just did a poor job explaining it, and are now struggling to quell the backlash. Had they laid out their vision a little better, and outlined where they were heading with this, it may have been received differently. Who knows. Sometimes we only hear what we want to.

nillapuddin

would anyone be interested in Halo opening up BTB to something more than 8v8?

Im just wondering, with BF4 doubling up, Im just wondering if next gen Halo would want to scale up also and support upto 10v10 or 12v12
maybe more?

Computer

As many have said before, I think they just did a poor job explaining it, and are now struggling to quell the backlash. Had they laid out their vision a little better, and outlined where they were heading with this, it may have been received differently. Who knows. Sometimes we only hear what we want to.

It is hard for MS to explain anything because it is cool to hate them right now. Everything they say no matter how good the news is will be spun into something bad. Everyone harps on the bad news and ignores the good news. One cant even open a positive Xbox thread here with out PS4 fans shitting all over it and getting it locked.

TCKaos

Im just wondering, with BF4 doubling up, Im just wondering if next gen Halo would want to scale up also and support upto 10v10 or 12v12
maybe more?

I would love if we got a much larger objective based BTB experience. Massive scale territories, CTF or Invasion with 16v16 or more would be amazing.

Defect

maybe more?

The last thing Halo needs is even bigger maps.

It is hard for MS to explain anything because it is cool to hate them right now. Everything they say no matter how good the news is will be spun into something bad. Everyone harps on the bad news and ignores the good news. One cant even open a positive Xbox thread here with out PS4 fans shitting all over it and getting it locked.
All recent xbox news have been shit so far. Restrictions, restrictions and more restricrions.

My biggest problem being the 24h suicide check bullshit.

Edit: I have been without LIVE for a few months, can't just afford it right now. If I were to own an xbone now I'd just have to stare at my 499€ brick and it just doesn't feels right.

Yeah it's the PS4 fans :lol. Gotta love the start of a new gen, really gets the wars goin'.

When I saw the trailer for Halo 5 I honestly felt underwhelmed. Then I read that it's 60 fps and will have dedicated servers... those are seriously big guns on the table for Halo. Much of Halo 4 was messy and misguided but the last few months have been a lot better for the game and I've enjoyed it a lot more. Hopefully 343 sees the error in aping COD features. I'm completely uninterested in the Xbone but the thought of an all sniper headshot killtrocity in 60 frames per second on dedicated servers is an enticing one. Plus the console has a built in theatre system. Could be the best Halo ever!
Please don't fuck it up, 343

Absolutely no

IHaveIce

Banned

maybe more?

That would just mean even bigger maps so meh. For a spinoff? Maybe.

Madness

Damn, I seriously hope they don't go balls to the wall with bigger maps. Less Vortex and Boneyard and more Midship, The Pit sized maps.

Save all the fidelity for textures, skybox, weapons, player models and explosions.

I don't really care if they want to take BTB to 12v12 seeing as how there is already little teamwork in that playlist.

But the game should be built around 4v4, 5v5 encounters primarily. With small to mid sized maps being 65% of the maps, large sized maps only 35%

But I can see how many sites or players used to large games like Battlefield and used to 32 player or more encounters would then say that Halo at 4v4 on small maps seems limited.

I shall accept when I get home. Hope you like backpacks.

XswLaWu.jpg

We got this.

Nebula

I got burned blindly buying a Halo by 343 once. 60FPS is great but it's obviously the standard for next gen games. Dedis were announced before by Microsoft and it was no surprise that the flagship title was going to get them.

I'm not denying these are great things by the way. I'm just saying that Halo will be rolling at the same level as most games next gen which is why I'm going to wait on gameplay videos before I even considering buying it. If I even get a whiff of the ability to spawn with a Plasma Pistol I will not purchase it. Same goes for personal ordnance.

343 had an excellent chance to win over Halo fans old and new and failed to do so. This is the price they pay.

Damn, I seriously hope they don't go balls to the wall with bigger maps. Less Vortex and Boneyard and more Midship, The Pit sized maps.

Save all the fidelity for textures, skybox, weapons, player models and explosions.

I don't really care if they want to take BTB to 12v12 seeing as how there is already little teamwork in that playlist.

But the game should be built around 4v4, 5v5 encounters primarily. With small to mid sized maps being 65% of the maps, large sized maps only 35%

But I can see how many sites or players used to large games like Battlefield and used to 32 player or more encounters would then say that Halo at 4v4 on small maps seems limited.

They had 2 btb non-forge world maps in Reach at launch and how many people were happy with that? Halo MP IS btb to me and many others. I think that a 50/50 split of small maps and medium/large vehicle maps is more fair for both parties.

They were pretty close to that ratio with Halo 4, and I would say most of the maps in Halo 4 are decent to good, the problem is that the game types/settings are absolutely horrid.

Thats not the point, my console should not have to check in in order to function plain and simple. We're not prisoners, we're customers.

Not to make a point that the ex-Microsoft asshole on Twitter made, but where are you not able to get Internet? How are you not a prisoner to electricity? Steam already requires authentication. Most of the games you'll purchase on the Xbox One are going to be downloads, which require Internet. You're going to want updates.

The actual cases of this being a problem are going to be so few and far between.

Not to make a point that the ex-Microsoft asshole on Twitter made, but where are you not able to get Internet? How are you not a prisoner to electricity? Steam already requires authentication. Most of the games you'll purchase on the Xbox One are going to be downloads, which require Internet. You're going to want updates.

The actual cases of this being a problem are going to be so few and far between.

Millions of people in the US. Broadband of any kind at least. I made a similar post to this the other day, but as an example, if I lived 3 miles north of my current residence, I'd have access to nothing other than dialup. They don't even have 3g out there. Contrast to where I live, where I have access to either 100Mbps cable or shittyteribad Mbps DSL at a fairly reasonable price. And 4gLTE.

Other than the coasts and big cities, the US's broadband access is spotty as fuck, man.

EDIT: Even if you have flawless internet, you're depending on uptime for some external source in order to use your product. And that's stupid.

Still, there are ways to "authenticate" a game once without having my console not work if lets say i decide to go with another provider and don't have the net for a few days, or my internet is sketchy. Its not right. Its the way theyre doing it, not the fact that they do it. Steam im ok with cause if my net is down, i can still go play a SP game on there. Its still useable. So is my PC. Im just not getting the full experience and Im fine with that. Im not saying dont authenticate the games, im asking why does my console still need to consistently check in or stop working even after ive authenticated all my games? Theres no argument out there that defends that. None.

Millions of people in the US. Broadband of any kind at least. I made a similar post to this the other day, but as an example, if I lived 3 miles north of my current residence, I'd have access to nothing other than dialup. They don't even have 3g out there. Contrast to where I live, where I have access to either 100Mbps cable or shittyteribad Mbps DSL at a fairly reasonable price. And 4gLTE.

Other than the coasts and big cities, the US's broadband access is spotty as fuck, man.

They said the authentication is only a few kilobytes, you don't need broadband

Still, there are ways to "authenticate" a game once without having my console not work if lets say i decide to go with another provider and don't have the net for a few days, or my internet is sketchy. Its not right. Its the way theyre doing it, not the fact that they do it. Steam im ok with cause if my net is down, i can still go play a SP game on there. Its still useable. So is my PC. Im just not getting the full experience and Im fine with that. Im not saying dont authenticate the games, im asking why does my console still need to consistently check in or stop working even after ive authenticated all my games? Theres no argument out there that defends that. None.

You have to log into steam before you play single player games, no?
You should be able to authenticate to XboxOne, even with spotty internet.

That's stupid. How about people who have internet but can't afford LIVE, what if they want to play the console they bought (say a SP only game)... they can't.

Are you're ok with that?
You don't need Gold to play games..?
It can authenticate without Gold.. I believe

That's stupid. How about people who have internet but can't afford LIVE, what if they want to play the console they bought (say a SP only game)... they can't.

Are you're ok with that?

1.5MB connection is required for the system, according to Microsoft.

That is not true
http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/connected

"For an optimal experience, we recommend a broadband connection of 1.5Mbps. (For reference, the average global internet connection speed as measured recently by Akamai was 2.9 Mbps). In areas where an Ethernet connection is not available, you can connect using mobile broadband."

And on size of authentication.. http://www.oxm.co.uk/56259/xbox-one-online-authentication-uses-kilobytes-of-data-phil-harrison/

Phil Harrison: "The 24-hour ping takes kilobytes of data."

You have to log into steam before you play single player games, no?

Yes but Steam has an offline mode. Xbox Ones offline mode is just OFF.

The 24 hour requirement is so bogus. So bogus.

The appropriate thing to do is to just authenticate when i log in, and whatever hasn't been authenticated at least once while online, doesn't work. The rest does, but in limited capacity obviously. Thats what they should do.

That is not true
http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/connected

"For an optimal experience, we recommend a broadband connection of 1.5Mbps. (For reference, the average global internet connection speed as measured recently by Akamai was 2.9 Mbps). In areas where an Ethernet connection is not available, you can connect using mobile broadband."

And on size of authentication.. http://www.oxm.co.uk/56259/xbox-one-online-authentication-uses-kilobytes-of-data-phil-harrison/

Phil Harrison: "The 24-hour ping takes kilobytes of data."
Fair enough, there are tweets out there with misinformation then.
But the idea of using mobile internet to achieve verification is terrible.

The 24 hour requirement is so bogus. So bogus.

Shadders

as a Halo fan, and general console lover, I'm utterly flabbergasted.

I think they're just really looking forward. The consequence may be that it hurts a little now, in the present. Moving to a new technology/format is always a bit difficult and awkward during the transition period. I still have racks of CD's (maybe even some tapes) in my house.

Things like this should be consumer driven though, a desire for digitally tied content should be something that users choose to have. Microsoft made everyone feel like it was being forced on them.

I think they could have saved themselves all of this bother if they'd left out the blu-ray drive and gone digital only. People would have accepted that, it would have made the console cheaper, the expectancy would be that users are required to have a net connection and can't trade their games.

Alternatively they could have left the disc business as it was on 360 and aggressively encouraged people to download their games through pricing and/or exclusive content.

They're trying to apply these accepted digital "rules" to the physical product space and seem surprised when people push back.

Alternatively they could have left the disc business as it was on 360 and aggressively encouraged people to download their games through pricing and/or exclusive content.

They're trying to apply these accepted digital "rules" to the physical product space and seem surprised when people push back.

What do you think Sony is doing? Thats exactly what they've been doing for a while now. Day1 digital copies at the same time as the physical ones. Its not forced onto anyone, its just getting them used to it. Its exactly the right way to do it too. Good on them. Theyre winning points with me every day.

Madness

Point is, you shouldn't have to authenticate at all. What benefit do 24 hour checks before you are not allowed to play anymore have to gamers?

Were there only two non forge BTB maps? Spire, Boneyard, and Boardwalk. Plus you had other maps like Hemorrhage, Paradiso etc.

But even then, some maps were a bit larger for 4v4 combat.

Halo 4 took it to a new level though. Aside from Haven and Adrift, almost every map is large, unnecessarily large and suited for 6v6 and 8v8 combat primarily.

Hopefully somoene can confirm this? Players should really be able to play their SP games without Gold, alotta people arent MP focused.

There's no way it isn't the case, I wouldn't worry.

They've explicitly stated the console requires an internet connection, not Xbox Live Gold.

Striker

They had 2 btb non-forge world maps in Reach at launch and how many people were happy with that? Halo MP IS btb to me and many others. I think that a 50/50 split of small maps and medium/large vehicle maps is more fair for both parties.

They were pretty close to that ratio with Halo 4, and I would say most of the maps in Halo 4 are decent to good, the problem is that the game types/settings are absolutely horrid.
I like BTB in Halo also, but the latest changes in the game have damaged its fun for the most part. For one, gametypes have become Slayer oriented and Heavies have been shoved in our throats for no reason. You see maps built for other modes like Dominion and Invasion being placed into it, and they are awfully setup for 2-flag/bomb (Exile, Boneyard, and so forth). The forge changes in Boneyard and Spire were simply terrible. Also, when was the last true asymmetric BTB map that was built?

Then there's been changes to weapons (DMR 3x, BR with massive spread, Spartan Laser), vehicles (Scorpions being used when they should not be, Banshee bomb, vehicle health, etc.), and there's EMP'ing which I have come to hate as much as double melee.

I like BTB in Halo also, but the latest changes in the game have damaged its fun for the most part. For one, gametypes have become Slayer oriented and Heavies have been shoved in our throats for no reason. You see maps built for other modes like Dominion and Invasion being placed into it, and they are awfully setup for 2-flag/bomb (Exile, Boneyard, and so forth). The forge changes in Boneyard and Spire were simply terrible. Also, when was the last true asymmetric BTB map that was built?

Then there's been changes to weapons (DMR 3x, BR with massive spread, Spartan Laser), vehicles (Scorpions being used when they should not be, Banshee bomb, vehicle health, etc.), and there's EMP'ing which I have come to hate as much as double melee.

BTB in 4 is very meh. I used to play it all the times in past games but now im kinda indifferent to it. BTB at its peak is objectives games. There is nothing better than flying in on avalanche with that pelican type plane, getting the flag and flying away while everyone is trying to shoot you. They fucked up BTB by making it slayer 24/7 and now, its a bore fest.

Shadders

There's no way it isn't the case, I wouldn't worry.

They've explicitly stated the console requires an internet connection, not Xbox Live Gold.

There have been strong rumours that a gold sub is required for gaming. If that is/was their plan, then I can't see them sticking to that now. People would go bananas.

There have been strong rumours that a gold sub is required for gaming. If that is/was their plan them I can't see them sticking to that now. People would go bananas.

That has to be illegal. No way can they ask £50 upfront and then make me pay more to play at least some aspect of a game.

Tawpgun

Gold is for ONLINE gaming dont be ridiculous*

*most of the next gen games seem very heavily online focused

Also I think Xbox has the advantage against sony for the game loaning/sharing system. Yes its nice that for PS4 disc media you can share as you normally would. But now, I can add 10 people to my family and we can all share games with each other across the world. That is so fucking cool.

If my friend buys some game I wanna try out he just needs to add me to that circle of 10 and I get to play his game.

Top Bottom