• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Strafing occurs on the X axis.

Forward movement occurs on the Y axis.

Jumping occurs on the Z axis.

These three movement options should be balanced against each other. Forward movement speed should be fast enough so players can effectively navigate the Y axis. Jump height should be high enough so players can effectively navigate the Z axis. Movement acceleration should be fast enough so players can effectively strafe on the X axis.

Halo maps are unique in the fact that they can have highly vertical structures placed in close horizontal proximity to each other. The balance in player movement, between the Y and Z axes, between fast forward movement speed and high jump height, allows for these types of multi axis map designs.

The equality between the Y and X axes, between forward movement and side to side movement, between map positioning and effective damage resistance, is a unique aspect of player movement in Halo. Players can choose to position themselves favorably, using forward movement, or players can choose to increase their effective damage resistance by strafing side to side. Both Y axis and X axis movement need to be effective for the deepest Halo gameplay.

:( You know I wish I could, bae.

cHq3N.gif

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Strafing occurs on the X axis.

Forward movement occurs on the Y axis.

Jumping occurs on the Z axis.

These three movement options should be balanced against each other. Forward movement speed should be fast enough so players can effectively navigate the Y axis. Jump height should be high enough so players can effectively navigate the Z axis. Movement acceleration should be fast enough so players can effectively strafe on the X axis.

Halo maps are unique in the fact that they can have highly vertical structures placed in close horizontal proximity to each other. The balance in player movement, between the Y and Z axes, between fast forward movement speed and high jump height, allows for these types of multi axis map designs.

The equality between the Y and X axes, between forward movement and side to side movement, between map positioning and effective damage resistance, is a unique aspect of player movement in Halo. Players can choose to position themselves favorably, using forward movement, or players can choose to increase their effective damage resistance by strafing side to side. Both Y axis and X axis movement need to be effective for the deepest Halo gameplay.

Wat

Walking forward is Z (depth)
Strafing is X (horizontal)
Jumping is Y (vertical)

Omni

So who thinks we are:

Getting H2A his fall?
Getting H2A with the actual MP from H2?
Getting all 25 maps?
Getting ports of CEA, 3 and 4?

My predictions:

Halo 2 campaign remastered with button to see old visuals like CEA. Uses Halo 4 assets. 1080P/30FPS
Halo 2 Multiplayer with ~8 maps redone in Halo 4's engine.

The ports seem a bit too far fetched to me. But they'd be a nice extra that I'd happily pay for. Obviously they'd be Campaign only.

willow ve

My predictions:

Halo 2 campaign remastered with button to see old visuals like CEA. Uses Halo 4 assets. 1080P/30FPS
Halo 2 Multiplayer with ~8 maps redone in Halo 4's engine.

The ports seem a bit too far fetched to me. But they'd be a nice extra that I'd happily pay for. Obviously they'd be Campaign only.
I agree. I will be shocked if H2A doesn't use the Halo 4 engine/multiplayer.

RoKKeR

Pumped for tomorrow, but not for the fact that I won't be able to watch anything until 5PM PST because of work. :/

Going to try and stay spoiler free because I really want to see the MS conference without knowing what's coming.

Ampoc

Neo Member
Pumped for tomorrow, but not for the fact that I won't be able to watch anything until 5PM PST because of work. :/

Going to try and stay spoiler free because I really want to see the MS conference without knowing what's coming.

I like being surprised as well. I was completely shocked by last years E3's Halo trailer because I didn't expect any Halo trailer and I never knew what was coming, and this was after the Press Conference was live.

As soon as I got home, I just marched to my computer and watched it. Its sort of a tradition for me now.

I'm ready for E3.

m23

So are we actually expecting a trailer for Halo 5 tomorrow? They did say we'll see more of Halo 5 at e3 right? (If so, please be in-game/in-engine, no CG)

RoKKeR

So are we actually expecting a trailer for Halo 5 tomorrow? They did say we'll see more of Halo 5 at e3 right? (If so, please be in-game/in-engine, no CG)

My bet is we get something CG that outlines the general premise, nothing more. I highly doubt we see anything in game.

Fuchsdh

The ongoing rumor is that they'll show a tech demo of the H5 engine at E3, probably no gameplay.

My bet is we get something CG that outlines the general premise, nothing more. I highly doubt we see anything in game.

My money's on the latter rather than the former. Although the E3 2006 trailer was awesome as hype, and also for showing roughly what we could expect from the final game.

Kibbles

IMO not a chance we are getting two CG trailers in a row. I think we'll get a MP demo or something due to that one tweet from that MP guy saying how excited he is for us to see the game or whatever and the beta coming in December (according to ntkrnl)

willow ve

Teaser CG for Halo 5 (possibly explaining the new character).
If H2A exists then probably multiplayer video
if multi is even included

RoKKeR

IMO not a chance we are getting two CG trailers in a row. I think we'll get a MP demo or something due to that one tweet from that MP guy saying how excited he is for us to see the game or whatever and the beta coming in December (according to ntkrnl)

Ntkrnl has been fairly solid so far, but I absolutely can't fathom the Halo 5 beta being in December.

jem0208

They never show MP reveals at E3 though. I think we'll get a campaign walkthrough with Halo 5 to show off the graphics.

willow ve

is there an chat where we can all freak out accordingly to the e3 stuff without shitting up this thread?

Would like to know this also.

It's why we need the HaloGAF thread started back up. Last I heard the rumour was 1 week post E3 and we can try again with OT20. I guess H2A and H5 could each get their own thread, but that seems needlessly messy and only serves to push the same conversation through 3 different threads.

jem0208

It's why we need the HaloGAF thread started back up. Last I heard the rumour was 1 week post E3 and we can try again with OT20. I guess H2A and H5 could each get their own thread, but that seems needlessly messy and only serves to push the same conversation through 3 different threads.

What do you mean by "try again" what happened to the old one?

what i guess I mean is that the threads are supposed to be the place for intelligent discussion, and while e3 is going on, the reactions for 20 pages are just going to be a bunch of ":OOOOO" and no real discussion, so i think setting up a chat would be the best option so we don't do that

What do you mean by "try again" what happened to the old one?

OT19 ended prematurely in a blaze of swamplords and shitlords dicking it out. He means "try again" as in rebooting HaloGAF for a second time. And it's not a rumor, btw - Ghaleon explicitly laid out in the thread's closing post that we could post a new, actual halogaf thread a week after E3. Presumably that'll let actual news threads surface allowing for individualized halo info drops on gaming side (a cited problem during the first death of halogaf was that new news was often posted in halogaf and didn't ever make its way into actual news threads), and then the community itself can make a revival and discuss things in community afterwards.

jem0208

OT19 ended prematurely in a blaze of swamplords and shitlords dicking it out. He means "try again" as in rebooting HaloGAF for a second time. And it's not a rumor, btw - Ghaleon explicitly laid out in the thread's closing post that we could post a new, actual halogaf thread a week after E3. Presumably that'll let actual news threads surface allowing for individualized halo info drops on gaming side (a cited problem during the first death of halogaf was that new news was often posted in halogaf and didn't ever make its way into actual news threads), and then the community itself can make a revival and discuss things in community afterwards.

Oh right. I might actually start posting HaloGaf then...

All I ever do on Gaf is talk about Halo on the gaming side anyway :p

Nowise10

They wouldn't show a campaign walk through of Halo 5, when its coming out in Fall 2015. And they would definitely be hyping it up prior like they did in E3 2012, showing the Halo 4 campaign walk through. I wouldn't expect much on the Halo 5 front, maybe other then another teaser trailer.

They'll definitely show ingame footage of the Halo game coming this year, though.

For Halo 5, I hope we get something like this (but this time the final game hits the target):

GJFrO57.jpg

--

For Halo 2014, I hope we get some cool stuff like a stage demo showing off the game, tech, and MP.

Blueblur1

They wouldn't show a campaign walk through of Halo 5, when its coming out in Fall 2015. And they would definitely be hyping it up prior like they did in E3 2012, showing the Halo 4 campaign walk through. I wouldn't expect much on the Halo 5 front, maybe other then another teaser trailer.

They'll definitely show ingame footage of the Halo game coming this year, though.

I expect that game to be the focus. Especially how it relates to the Halo 5 journey "beginning this year".

I'm not sure about the tech needed to make this work, but would be be opposed to having the next Halo game be 1080p @ 30FPS for SP and 900p @ 60FPS for MP?

Reason I ask, is it seems games have been having a lot of trouble hitting the 1080p @ 60FPS mark on the XB1, and perhaps we can get the best of both worlds.

Top Bottom