• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hmm, I guess I'm in the minority. One of the things (many) that I absolutely hated in Reach was getting in a shootout in big team and continually getting knocked out of scope. It made long range combat pointless unless you got a lucky no-scope from across the map.

I can see you guys like it though, so I can deal one way or the other.

u4iX

Hmm, I guess I'm in the minority. One of the things (many) that I absolutely hated in Reach was getting in a shootout in big team and continually getting knocked out of scope. It made long range combat pointless unless you got a lucky no-scope from across the map.

I see it as the difference between NEEDING to be near cover because of flinch, and positioning yourself WISELY as to be able to stay in scope.

If you're getting team shot in BTB in Reach and getting knocked out of scope, you might be in a bad spot with the sniper.

If you're getting team shot in BTB in Halo 4 and getting flinched in scoped, you NEED to be near cover because the game mechanic itself will lead to your death, not your faulty positioning.

J10

Banned
That's not a glitch. :)

tumblr_mcxq5fKe5T1qeeqito4_250.gif

blamite

They need an Orbital helmet without the skull. :( I wanted my Daft Punk helmet. Now what am I going to use?

Yeah, they really do. I've only seen one alternate skin so far and it barely looks different because the color patterns are pretty subtle.

I thought that in older builds the skull was part of a skin, while the normal version didn't have it? :/

GhaleonEB

To add one wrinkle to my comments. (I may have mentioned this once or twice before.) I think the real problem is the 3x scope on the rifles. The knock out effect wasn't a death sentence in Halo 1-3 because guys who could headshot you with something other than a sniper rifle were usually not a tiny speck in the distance. So getting knocked out meant you could still at least land shots on them. I still ran into the scope/unscope/scope/uncope loop a bit, but not nearly as often or with such a frequently fatal result as in Reach. Since you'd get tagged from so far away with the DMR, if you weren't scoped, you often could barely see who was shooting you.

So in that sense, flinch addresses one problem while introducing another. But all things equal, I'd rather have either only 2x rifles, or flinch removed. And then just have snipers get knocked out of scope when shot.

Needless to say, if I play long enough to get the stability mod I'll be using it. And I'll probably enjoy the game a lot more as a result. But I wish I didn't have to grind to a perk in order to do so.

kylej

Banned
I'm investing in limited edition copies of Halo 4 and banking them towards my retirement. frankie told me they're seriously limited this time around so I figure the value of sealed copies is only going to appreciate.

given the volatility of the market I highly recommend people put aside some LEs, these things could be worth thousands some day

u4iX

Yeah, they really do. I've only seen one alternate skin so far and it barely looks different because the color patterns are pretty subtle.

I thought that in older builds the skull was part of a skin, while the normal version didn't have it? :/

While we're on the subject, the CIO helmet, Venator, and others with the "white" visor is a graphical glitch where your visor doesn't apply right?

Hoping that gets patched in TU2.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
It slows down Team Snipers because you NEED to have a place to hide behind if you get flinched, the recoil is that bad.

You're not gonna land any clutch shots if you get hit while in scope because you're temporarily praising the Sun gods hoping you don't die in the process.

I haven't played the new team snipers yet but isn't that the way it has always been with that gametype on BTB maps? What's the difference essentially between flinching hard being knocked out of zoom? I don't really recall what the sniper flinch is like when you're hit by another sniper but against DMR/BR, it's must easier to get a good shot off than in previous Halo games. That's my issue with the system. It's how battles with a sniper play out.

To add one wrinkle to my comments. (I may have mentioned this once or twice before.) I think the real problem is the 3x scope on the rifles.
I have a lot of fun with Halo 4 but this right here is something that the more I think about the more I understand what you've been getting at, even back to your detailed breakdown of Reach. That classic guns, grenades and melee trinity works best at ranges where all of them came come into play, and as soon as the average encounter range got extended things started to unravel a bit and new systems have been introduced to try and recapture that balance and simplicity.

Makes me wonder what it'd be like to see an ODST-like side project with Halo 4's engine but older school mechanics and weapon selection.

Flinch > being taken out of scope. That is all.
I think Ghal brought up a good point about the BR scope and how it worked with getting knocked out of scope before, because getting knocked out of scope in Reach was fuckrustrating trying to click the stick back in and trying to still keep a steady aim, just felt awkward. I don't mind flinching nearly as much, but I do think getting knocked out of scope was a better solution when the utilities were limited to the 2x scope range.

And yes, grinding for an ability to reduce the flinch is pretty dumb, especially if there's no way to identify fighting against someone with it.

u4iX

I haven't played the new team snipers yet but isn't that the way it has always been with that gametype, on BTB maps? What's the difference essentially between flinching hard being knocked out of zoom? I don't really recall what the sniper flinch is like when you're hit by another sniper but against DMR/BR, it's must easier to get a good shot off than in previous Halo games. That's my issue with the system. It's how battles with a sniper play out.

It sort of works both ways.

The Sniper staying in scope against a rifle makes it somewhat easier, the sniper staying in scoped against another sniper makes it unusable when hit.

It comes down to the fact that your flinch is proportional to the damage dealt, so maybe increasing the amount of flinch inflicted from the rifles on the sniper could make it seem more fair, but I'm not sure that evens out the sniper vs. sniper battle.

Getting knocked out of scope, I could realign my aim, then quick scope in for a body shot or head shot.

Staying in scope I can either pray I pull off a shot due to the randomness of the enemy's pacing making my flinch erratic, back down entirely, or die in scope.

I think it comes down to me feeling more in control when being knocked out of scope, and that pulling off the kill was actually my doing, and not the flinch gods shining in my favor.

Flinch > being taken out of scope. That is all.

Oh wait... That's all? Well, never mind guys. Guess this issue was solved.

forza horizon $15? xcom, most wanted, dishonored for $25? is that in-store only? I'd rather self-immolate than visit walmart on thanksgiving day but if it's online I'll pick some stuff up

I went one year and watched people fight. Elzar and some others here know I like philosophy, so while it was superficially funny it was also sad and horrifying.

IHaveIce

Banned
While we're on the subject, the CIO helmet, Venator, and others with the "white" visor is a graphical glitch where your visor doesn't apply right?

Hoping that gets patched in TU2.

Oh god I hope so, the Venator helmet looks really cool( I will never get it without boosting :( ) but the dumb white visor ruins it.

And yes also on the Orbital helmet, I also thought there was a version without the skull :/

Still bummed that the Locus helmet and also the Deadeye helmet are either preorder exclusive or tied to the dumb KOTH handy game :/

orznge

Banned
Black Ops 2 got rid of their Nuketown playlist (only real mode I ever played in Bo2). GG, this is insanity. It's 2012 and developers seem to find ways to piss off their community in the worse way. I just don't get it.

it's seriously insane

Homeboyd

pretty sure it is. It's not in Snipes though
I've been playing for a hot minute and haven't seen it yet. :( (SWAT... and Snipes actually)

I can't find the playlists on Waypoint either. Found the War Games gametypes (but no SWAT or Snipes), but they don't show the maps. Must be in the wrong place.

EDIT Just got JIP'ed into Haven SWAT!

Havok

Let me give you an example of a pretty common scenario in a Halo game. Assume the two players are of completely equal skill level, just for the purposes of the example. I see a guy at the same time he sees me, since we're at range we both scope in, but I get the shot off just a hair before he manages to. He flinches and is a shot down, and I'm in a completely dominant position in this 1v1 because he now has to re-aim and I don't. Now, if I'm playing sloppy he can certainly come back from that, but it's harder to do so in a couple of key ways.

In past games, he would be unscoped, but in this situation both of our reticules were red and he could have pulled the trigger and hit me anyway, though he maybe wouldn't be able to follow up. Instead, he could use this time that he earned, the opportunity he bought himself when he nailed the shot anyway, to evade, strafe, or reposition himself and try and win that first shot advantage back. It's also way easier to get a perfect 5/4/X shot in this game, so single shots matter more because people are less likely to miss on their own. If he had a sniper in past games, he could have still made that headshot if he was good enough or confident enough to quickscope or noscope me, because the game was only taking magnification away, not accuracy. Of the things I'd change about the game, flinch is pretty low on the list, but I don't necessarily think it's an improvement over what we had.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
It sort of works both ways.

The Sniper staying in scope against a rifle makes it somewhat easier, the sniper staying in scoped against another sniper makes it unusable when hit.

It comes down to the fact that your flinch is proportional to the damage dealt, so maybe increasing the amount of flinch inflicted from the rifles on the sniper could make it seem more fair, but I'm not sure that evens out the sniper vs. sniper battle.

Getting knocked out of scope, I could realign my aim, then quick scope in for a body shot or head shot.

Staying in scope I can either pray I pull off a shot due to the randomness of the enemy's pacing making my flinch erratic, back down entirely, or die in scope.

I think it comes down to me feeling more in control when being knocked out of scope, and that pulling off the kill was actually my doing, and not the flinch gods shining in my favor.

Oh wait... That's all? Well, never mind guys. Guess this issue was solved.

I would argue that it's more than somewhat easier. It's significantly easier and it really makes you think about how you're going to challenge a sniper. It's turns decent snipers into good ones and good ones into great ones.

Having more flinch against regular rifle damage with the sniper would be nice. Just so it wouldn't be so damn easy. Even better would be to knock the snipers out of scope when hit with any damage.

Also, give me back my headshot medal.

Karl2177

I would argue that it's more than somewhat easier. It's significantly easier and it really makes you think about how you're going to challenge a sniper. It's turns decent snipers into good ones and good ones into great ones.

Having more flinch against regular rifle damage with the sniper would be nice. Just so it wouldn't be so damn easy. Even better would be to knock the snipers out of scope when hit with any damage.

Also, give me back my headshot medal.
Although there isn't a headshot medal, at least Waypoint now records how many headshots with each weapon you have.

In past games, he would be unscoped, but in this situation both of our reticules were red and he could have pulled the trigger and hit me anyway, though he maybe wouldn't be able to follow up. Instead, he could use this time that he earned, the opportunity he bought himself when he nailed the shot anyway, to evade, strafe, or reposition himself and try and win that first shot advantage back.
That's exactly how I've dealt with flinch in this game. I sidestep into cover, which I see get hit from some shots, and then strafe back out at a point where I think I can get the first shot in. If I'm out in the open? I'm dead meat unless my footwork and hops or teammates can see me through.

Just played a game on Abandoned where the other team had two guys with camo and hammers and another with hardlight sheild and a shotgun camping the lift(This should never occur because 343 told me the AAs were balanced). I destroyed the other team (True Skill) while one of my random teammates explained why Reach was the greatest Halo game. In his words "Reach added more to the complexity". He also told me that he left COD for Halo because of the additions in Reach and Halo 4.

This is the full Halo 4 experience; the pinnacle of Halo. This is the future ladies and gentlemen.

What a strange world we live in.

daedalius

What I noticed tonight doing Spartan ops, is that if you click on yourself or another player after Spartan Ops, it shows your 'biggest kill', and points attached to that.

There are also points per medal.

Why doesn't the game show total points, afterwards, or in game??

Just played a game on Abandoned where the other team had two guys with camo and hammers and another with hardlight sheild and a shotgun camping the lift. I destroyed the other team (True Skill) while one of my random teammates explained why Reach was the greatest Halo game. In his words "Reach added more to the complexity". He also told me that he left COD for Halo because of the additions in Reach and Halo 4.

This is the full Halo 4 experience; the pinnacle of Halo. This is the future ladies and gentlemen.

Yea they did it! They got the CoD players to play Halo! Halo is saved.

Making a custom loadout that accentuates how you play is fun. Making a custom armor look/color scheme is fun. Unlocking game altering perks as you level is fun and more rewarding than purely aesthetic rewards. More heavy ordnance on the field means more players using heavy ordnance and skilling up with them and more vehicles getting destroyed, which means more players getting to use those vehicles and skilling up with them.

Yeah its a disruption of classic Halo, but in a lot of ways it has made it more likely for people to have Halo-like battles earlier and more often, if that makes sense.

This is as opposed to only the better players and teams monopolizing the power items and vehicles, or players betraying each other in the rush to the same. More crazy shit happens now, with a greater frequency, and even at this faster more explosive pace, you can carve your own semblance of order out of the chaos still, and win. Thats fun.

This a VERY rough draft of what I plan to do with all those little icons I have been making. The final result will feature many more icons as I plan to do more levels from the Halo games. The icons will be smaller and it will make a pretty awesome collage. This will probably be one of my final Halo photoshop pieces. I really like where it's going, and I have alot of work ahead of me. Hope everyone can appreciate the final work when it is complete :)

Trey

I want an option for a barebones in-game notification system. Just show me who killed who and the score/gametype relevant information. I don't need the text in my face, or medals popping up. Give me a snappy UI that works. Get me in and out of games quickly. All seamless. I don't need the accouterments.

Top Bottom