• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
I'm waiting for the arrival of a couple playlists, yet fear they'll be taken away 2 weeks later. I would like to see consolidation rather than removal.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Team Reggie.
I guess cause that's the next best playlist, but inevitably they're gonna remove that in a week too and we'll be left with nothing :/

I guess there's the Crimson DLC playlist too but eh.

Also, do TUs drop on Tuesdays too or can they go out whenever?

Booties

Banned
Swat sucks so hard. If I wanted to die from one bullet I'd go play CoD.

If SWAT sucked it wouldn't have been one of the most popular playlists since halo 2.

This is what I don't get, combine the objective playlists into one and also turn BTB Infinity Slayer into BTB (including objective games and slayer games). That condenses it down to where you will have more people in these playlists with a wider variety of games to be voted on. Just try to weight everything evenly unlike BTB in Reach which was 90% Slayer/Heavies and 10% Objective which was stupid.

Yeah, the fact that their UI is inhibiting what updates they can make to the game is insane. Especially since the UI from halo reach was perfect. 343 just likes to mess with things that are good.

Also I don't get the immense hate for Spartan Ops. Yes, it does need some work (new maps, better and more varied objectives, better encounters, etc...) but overall I have had some great moments playing with friends (really wish there was theater for it). It isn't firefight but I am enjoying the story and having a somewhat different objective each time I play a new mission is fun. They just need to work on it, if they can fix some of the major complaints, I can see it sticking around.

Nah, spops is pretty bad. Karl had a great post on it a few days ago, you should read it.

Are you forgetting who turned Halo Reach's BTB into 99% Slayer and Heavies?

No I know 343 did that, I'm just angry they don't realize what a dumb move that was and would hope they would realize to fix it, but yet I'm probably grasping at something they won't do. :/

Yeah, the fact that their UI is inhibiting what updates they can make to the game is insane. Especially since the UI from halo reach was perfect. 343 just likes to mess with things that are good.

Nah, spops is pretty bad. Karl had a great post on it a few days ago, you should read it.

Ugh, I liked the UI at the beginning but now I absolutely hate it. It is such a mess. 343 took away some things that are very head-scratching that shouldn't have been touched with the menu's being one of them. Once again I know they messed up with weighting heavies so much in BTB, but come on, what happened to these huge games of CTF BTB and what not, the ones where memories were made in Halo 1-3?

Sorry, I enjoy Spops, would have loved FF to be in there as well, but I'm still enjoying Spops, call me crazy but playing with 4 people can lead to some great moments.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Whoa wait, I just got a 30MB update for Halo 4, that has to be the TU right? Anyone else get this?

I don't think I've ever downloaded such a large update for a game.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
With that logic Call of Duty is the quintessential fps.

People like easy mode.

SWAT isn't in any way "easy" - it's incredibly simple, but that's not the same as easy. It's hard and sort of terrifying. I am also pleased to see that it's a three gun game in pratise, with no clear winner. Pistol, DMR and BR all serve different in-SWAT roles and I enjoy using all of them.

SWAT isn't in any way "easy" - it's incredibly simple, but that's not the same as easy. It's hard and sort of terrifying. I am also pleased to see that it's a three gun game in pratise, with no clear winner. Pistol, DMR and BR all serve different in-SWAT roles and I enjoy using all of them.

But i think what he meant by "easy" is that, compared to other modes in Halo, it takes a lot less effort to get kills in that. And generally, people like whatever takes the least effort.

I'm just used to the idea they think BTB is better with Slayer. Not that their layouts for their BTB maps in this game have me overly excited. Bad flag locations, vehicle heavy, etc.

Yeah, that is another problem as well, the balance is off but I think that is due to some of the implementations they tried to add to this game (ordinance, random weapon spawns, etc...).

I just want my classic BTB Objective back. :(

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
But i think what he meant by "easy" is that, compared to other modes in Halo, it takes a lot less effort to get kills in that. And generally, people like whatever takes the least effort.

Kills isn't no victories.

I can't be the only one who only plays swat for warm up.

I tell people who can't headshot adequately because they're sort of new to FPS/Halo to play SWAT to get the hang of headshot height/awareness.

Aggrotek

Yes, this is what I mean. I much prefer the dance involved with advancing and retreating that comes with shields.

Havok

I'd guess population count. Were oddball and flag higher? I like oddball and flag more than KoTH, but I didn't dislike it.
Each (King, Ball) are currently sitting at just at or under 2% of the total population (880 players). I can't imagine Oddball is long for this world, either. As soon as the hardcore/MLG/whatever playlist goes up, I'd bet that Team Slayer Pro gets the axe too (1.5% population).

Even CTF is below 5%. Objectives-based Halo is in a very dangerous place right now. The changes made haven't brought any sort of population boom, and some of them might even be keeping older players away (I know that the Flag changes certainly make me lukewarm on the idea of playing CTF). Rapid changes need to be coming in to salvage what's left.

Nowhere did anyone say that. They just seem to want to keep the total number of playlists down to prevent Reach's playlistpocalypse.

Thats what i meant. If this is the ideal number for them, even after launch when the numbers are at their highest. The likelihood of a permanent Team Snipers playlist is decreasing.

Stinkles. Its Christmas soon. Give me Team Snipes with Beam rifle secondary. And maybe a train set too. Please.

Help a brother out.

Killer

Banned
After more than 2 weeks without touching the game, they still haven't fixed lag issues and everyone is using bolt shot.

Bungie, wish you were here.

u4iX

SWAT is... For beginners it's... DMR serves...

Ph6Ei.gif

willow ve

Work from home has been slow this week. Just got my 1000/1000 on the game and then in my first multiplayer match went 24-6 with a legit Kilimanjaro. Feelsgoodman.gif

Kills isn't no victories.

I tell people who can't headshot adequately because they're sort of new to FPS/Halo to play SWAT to get the hang of headshot height/awareness.

No it isnt no victories, but your much more likely to enjoy your game after a loss if your plus 10, rather than if you just went -10. In swat, youll get kills regardless so in general even if you lose, youll enjoy yourself.

An hour ago, i played a game of BTB Ragnarok, (big shock) and the whole other team left cause we were destroying them. We had both mantises and for the first time in H4, the game actually ended cause the entire opposing team left.

That happens much less in swat since you can fairly easily turn the tied of battle in that mode just by getting a triple kill.

Each (King, Ball) are currently sitting at just at or under 2% of the total population (880 players). I can't imagine Oddball is long for this world, either. As soon as the hardcore/MLG/whatever playlist goes up, I'd bet that Team Slayer Pro gets the axe too (1.5% population).

Even CTF is below 5%. Objectives-based Halo is in a very dangerous place right now. The changes made haven't brought any sort of population boom, and some of them might even be keeping older players away (I know that the Flag changes certainly make me lukewarm on the idea of playing CTF). Rapid changes need to be coming in to salvage what's left.

I bet CTF would get more action with a 1 flag option. I mean really, wtf. Why is there no 1 flag.

Enfinit

Strategically, SWAT's the easiest. You literally run around and pop headshots for kills. It's surprisingly simple and requires the least amount of effort to get kills.

However, SWAT's fantastic for warming up, practicing headshots, or improving your reaction time. It's a Halo staple that should always be a playlist.

Where the fuck is Shwatguns?!

u4iX

Strategically, SWAT's the easiest. You literally run around and pop headshots for kills. It's surprisingly simple and requires the least amount of effort to get kills.

However, SWAT's fantastic for warming up, practicing headshots, or improving your reaction time. It's a Halo staple that should always be a playlist.

Where the fuck is Shwatguns?!

Boltshwatguns would be incredible.

They should have just merged all the Objective gametypes into 1 playlist.

You mean like in Halo 2?

You mean like in Halo 3?

You mean like in Halo: Reach?

The individual playlists per gametype was nice to get everyone new introduced to the new objective mechanics Halo 4 had to offer, and I'm guessing, and praying, that they'll soon make Team Objective once they feel players have *gulp* adapted.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member

-------

Team Doubles coming soon,

Yes to dubs- thanks for the find. As for objective- I'd rather deal with a low population or merging rather than a full blown axing.

Low pop > Merging > Axing, IMO

FyreWulff

I think I ended up preferring being able to go into King of the Hill and only get King of the Hill.

Honestly think it ends up with more overall people playing Objective than having it under one dead umbrella playlist.

They could stand to have subvariants of the main gametype though.

Havok

I bet CTF would get more action with a 1 flag option. I mean really, wtf. Why is there no 1 flag.
Gametype variety is one thing, sure. Homogenization within playlists is nice in theory but gets stale quickly, and voting options gave people a sort of "impulse purchase" option when they see something and say "oh hey, I didn't know I wanted this but let's try it!" That's one of the biggest reasons that I'm a proponent of the grab-bag playlist model. King of the Hill is a good example, since it's getting axed. Before Halo 4, I never would have cared about a standalone King playlist, but if it popped up in Reach voting options, every once in a while we'd vote for it as a change of pace. Because that's what those gametypes are, and always have been: secondary filler, at least in matchmaking.

But even fundamentally, the basic changes to how a game of CTF plays now is starting to wear thin on me. This is anecdotal, and pretty specific to a small group of players so I don't expect that it generalizes very well, but the group I play with, a group that played Team Objective 99% of the time for Flag and Bomb, doesn't really have much fun playing the new CTF, and so we stay away from that playlist because just doing mindless Slayer elsewhere is less frustrating.

P.S. bring back assault.

u4iX

I think I ended up preferring being able to go into King of the Hill and only get King of the Hill.

Honestly think it ends up with more overall people playing Objective than having it under one dead umbrella playlist.

I think my main qualm is that a staple gametype of Halo is now just MIA from matchmaking.

CyReN

I just don't get the whole "hey lets show off gametypes later so people get hyped". That DOESN'T work. People will stop playing or get rid of your game because there are no solid playlist.

Stinkles, this stinks. I'm going to drive around my neighborhood blaring Puddle of Mud in anger now.

FyreWulff

I think my main qualm is that a staple gametype of Halo is now just MIA from matchmaking.

Well I'm pissed too, but what are you going to do when SWAT was supposed to be temp but constantly gets a stay of execution? Rotate the damn playlist out already..

edit: typo

malfcn

Loving all the campers with PV and all the flow breakers with Jetpack. The matches where people aren't spamming those abilities are so much more fun and enjoyable.

u4iX

Infinity Slayer

Big Team Battle
  • Infinity BTB
  • CTF
  • Extraction
Team Doubles
  • Infinity Slayer
  • Hardcore Slayer
  • Slayer Pro
Team Snipers
  • Team Snipers
  • Team Snipers Pro
Rumble Pit
  • Regicide
  • Infinity Slayer FFA
  • KotH FFA
  • Oddball FFA
  • Hardcore FFA
Team Skirmish
  • Dominion
  • Extraction
  • CTF
Team Hardcore [Throwback]
  • Hardcore Slayer
  • Hardcore CTF
  • Hardcore KotH
  • Hardcore Oddball
Griffball

Swat

Havok

u4ix:

Waypointed CTF with 16 players sounds like a nightmare. If they're gonna do it, some fundamental changes are needed.

Dominion is a BTB-centric gametype (they share maps), not 5v5. It's practically Heavies already, might as well make the past a reality again.

Why no King/Ball in Skirmish?

Except you need it to be out of cert before anything is confirmed. Something could get caught in that process that would change the TU. And the exploits we don't want to draw more attention to pre TU aren't map items. Take that as you will.

Oh, and for those asking about SpOps locations in the second half of the season. None of them are repeats from the first half of the season.

Oh, ok well that makes me happy. Im looking forward to it, it will be nice to play on some new maps.

Top Bottom