• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

For the past week I have had the chanting monks in the Revival song singing in my head over and over again.

I think I may need help

Nope! It actually fills the role it's supposed to. I think it's the best iteration of the gun in the series.

And I'm honestly surprised at the hate the campaign is getting. I loved it. I actually could follow the story, I actually really cared about what was going on and thought the gameplay was a lot of fun.

If by best in the series you mean most powerful and consequently most retarded, then yes. It's a cheap weapon that requires little aim. How does that make it good? I know you're dominating with it, but that doesn't prove your point.

KdMgMan

hey does anybody have a locust helmet code or any other non gamestop pre-order order? willing to trade many 12 matches xp codes for it

If by best in the series you mean most powerful and consequently most retarded, then yes. It's a cheap weapon that requires little aim. How does that make it good? I know you're dominating with it, but that doesn't prove your point.

Because an automatic weapon is finally useful again in a Halo game.

And I'm honestly surprised at the hate the campaign is getting. I loved it. I actually could follow the story, I actually really cared about what was going on and thought the gameplay was a lot of fun.

You and me both man.. Definitely a missed opportunity with those Terminals being excluded from the actual game and some confusing plot points, especially if you haven't followed all the Halo fiction so far, but a pretty damn good campaign with a superb presentation.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

I guess it would mean most powerful because it's more useful than previous iterations. Anytime I catch a BR/DMR guy close range, it's pretty much over unless I fuck up or if it's melee range then it's almost a toss up. (Melee trades that lead to headshot finishes) It's very useful in its range but outside of it, it's almost useless. And if you could get into the range with the AR, which is fucking hard to do with radar on, then the reward of a nice AR kill is yours.

Right now I'm trying out DMR/AR with the Firepower mod. Used it only once so far and I like its potential.

I guess it would mean most powerful because it's more useful than previous iterations. Anytime I catch a BR/DMR guy close range, it's pretty much over unless I fuck up or if it's melee range then it's almost a toss up. (Melee trades that lead to headshot finishes) It's very useful in its range but outside of it, it's almost useless. And if you could get into the range with the AR, which is fucking hard to do with radar on, then the reward of a nice AR kill is yours.

Right now I'm trying out DMR/AR with the Firepower mod. Used it only once so far and I like its potential.
Because an automatic weapon is finally useful again in a Halo game.

You and me both man.. Definitely a missed opportunity with those Terminals being excluded from the actual game and some confusing plot points, especially if you haven't followed all the Halo fiction so far, but a pretty damn good campaign with a superb presentation.
Fair enough. I just think automatic weapons are far too easy to get kills, even with the range limitation. With a shotgun you still have to make the shot count up close an not miss. With the AR, it's just spray and lulz. At least the Saw is treated as a power weapon. I may change my mind with more games, but I just had a couple games where top player had almost all his kills with the AR. And not just like 10-12, more like 20+. And I was getting killed from more than just up close encounters. It was mid-range too. Personally, and I stress personally, I don't think that should ever happen or be allowed to happen in halo with an automatic weapon. I'm still more of a precision weapon purist who is unwilling to bow to the COD world.

All I'ma say about campaign right now is that Shutdown sucks. I think it'll be the level I skip on replays, I just don't like any part of it.
Go to place A, ride gondola and fight prommies and press buttan. Go to place B, ride the same gondola and fight the same prommies and press an identical buttan. Then go to place C and fight even more prommies and press another buttan. Not even the Covenant at the end of it redeems it for me, it feels like a Cortana/Library in just how tedious and repetitive the environment and the enemy gets.

Tashi

Fair enough. I just think automatic weapons are far too easy to get kills, even with the range limitation. With a shotgun you still have to make the shot count up close an not miss. With the AR, it's just spray and lulz. At least the Saw is treated as a power weapon. I may change my mind with more games, but I just had a couple games where top player had almost all his kills with the AR. And not just like 10-12, more like 20+. And I was getting killed from more than just up close encounters. It was mid-range too. Personally, and I stress personally, I don't think that should ever happen or be allowed to happen in halo with an automatic weapon. I'm still more of a precision weapon purist who is unwilling to bow to the COD world.

Was this in Slayer Pro or Infinity Slayer? I don't think I've been killed by an AR in Infinity Slayer lol.

Also, the people I'm matching against are totally like how I used to be; anti AR. Now that I'm flipping the switch on them, they don't know what to do.

Booties

Banned
All I'ma say about campaign right now is that Shutdown sucks. I think it'll be the level I skip on replays, I just don't like any part of it.
Go to place A, ride gondola and fight prommies and press buttan. Go to place B, ride the same gondola and fight the same prommies and press an identical buttan. Then go to place C and fight even more prommies and press another buttan. Not even the Covenant at the end of it redeems it for me, it feels like a Cortana/Library in just how tedious and repetitive the environment and the enemy gets.

There are two levels in halo 2 like that. Halo 2 had the worst campaign too.

Omni

Not to mention it kinds looks like it came out of Forge for the most part... Kinda boring to look at.

Was this in Slayer Pro or Infinity Slayer? I don't think I've been killed by an AR in Infinity Slayer lol.

Also, the people I'm matching against are totally like how I used to be; anti AR. Now that I'm flipping the switch on them, they don't know what to do.

Slayer Pro. You should be ashamed of yourself lol.

I really wish there were some more good maps in islayer and pro. The 5 maps that are there get boring really quickly plus most of 'm can get really bad if you play against a coordinated team/team that uses cheap tactics. Yesterday, I wasn't having fun at all going into islayer solo.

Tashi

Slayer Pro. You should be ashamed of yourself lol.

lol. Hey man, you gotta be aware of your surroundings. Also, using AR on Adrift is very difficult. I have not had much success with it at all. Haven can be tough sometimes with it as well. Sometimes you just get caught down those long hallways with just a magnum. It's not easy using the AR in Slayer Pro. The thing is that everyone assumes everyone else on the map has a rifle. That leads them to think they're on equal footing in every situation. That's not true. I'm just using my skills in awareness and map movement to put myself in advantageous positions. :p

Complex 2 flag is the most unfair shit. One base has all the cover. The other, completely open. Who thought it would be a good idea for 2 flag? Why not have 1 flag?

Complex is a disappointing map overall. They should just include it in BTB, with minimal vehicles. It's too big for 4v4 and 5v5. And who thought making that high-ground building was a good idea? I will seldom be voting for that piece of garbage.

I don't think I feel as strongly as Ghal does about the campaign, but I did find the combat in the first 2/3s of the game often a chore, but had found an enjoyable groove for the last 1/3, with more Knights at once, less Covie's, just you and Cortana.

Ultimately it's disappointing, the gameplay isn't as polished as Halo 3's and the narrative is both less "deep"/interesting and more confusing than Halo 2's.

Chief and Cortana are saving graces of the plot in Halo 4.

Of course, all of this is funny when you have some (good) reviewers calling it a great Halo game but nothing more. "Funny" divide.

I don't usually really like the Halo campaigns, but I enjoyed Halo 4's a lot. Played it twice.
First time was on normal and the story, graphics, and environments made it enjoyable.
The second time was on legendary, and it made a huge difference to my enjoyment of the actual combat. The prometheans are much more interesting on higher difficulty.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
I hate to bitch about the emblems, but seriously. Why are there two sets of dogtags and no numbers?!?! I want answers, 343!

I'm also very surprised with people disliking this campaign. Prometheans are pretty awesome.

MM is great. Needs more playlists. And in over 60 games, I still haven't played Vortex. Lame.
Also, Camo is the new Bitch AA. Harlight shield is better than armor lock, but anything that gives my enemy a "pause button" is annoying.
-Oh dude, I see you have the jump on me. I see you've completely outgunned me. I hate to tell you, though, I also see that you're out of grenades AND on a killing frenzy. While you're waiting for my shield to die, I'm going to tell all of my team mates where you are and cry for help because I seriously just can't do this right now. You're a good player, really. But I'm not going to let you have this kill. I'm not going to let you get that headshot. I'm just going to, you know, waste some of your time and make this game a little less fun for you.-

Spartan Ops is by far my favorite thing. Replaces Firefight very easily for me.

wwm0nkey

Started on my Specialization, first 3 levels were only 9k each to level up and then a sudden jump to 29k lol

Love my pioneer helmet :)

Tashi

Started on my Specialization, first 3 levels were only 9k each to level up and then a sudden jump to 29k lol

Love my pioneer helmet :)

I can't wait to have everything unlocked so I can create my go to loadouts. Specializations are going to take a long ass time for me to get through. I need to play more I guess lol

This game is so much fun, even after my hands start aching I just keep going.
Yep. I'll spend the day reading people who are all of a sudden aren't enjoying the game anymore and then i expect to start playing and be disappointed. But so far it hasn't happened.

How do you join people in halo4 lol? I keep trying and failing.

So I'm used the Light Rifle most of today and I really like it, super fast kill times when used effectively.
However... I'm getting Halo 3 levels of hit detection with the thing and it really grinds my gears. Especially when the DMR and the BR have such precise detection.
It almost isn't worth it to use, even though it can be so fun.
And I know it has some spread, but even at mid range I'm having lots of occurances where my hits aren't registering :/
Hardlight shield is not better than armor lock.
No but it is almost as annoying :(

Also, 500k people were on matchmaking today. It would be awesome if it stays above 200k after COD comes out.

GloveSlap

Hardlight shield is not better than armor lock.

The shield and camo are so annoying, camo even more so. The rest of the AAs are fine. I did headshot a shield user by using bumper jumper and jump-shoot over the top of his shield. I think it was on flat ground too, so I am going to have to practice that more.

I do think the grenades are a little too weak. Everything else is so powerful now that they kind of got left behind.

zap

I really enjoyed the Campaign (other than a few frustrating segments) - but I'm not sure how much of that is the honeymoon phase.

My legendary playthrough will be the real decider of how I feel.

Also, another CTF game where we started 4v5 and it stayed like that the entire game!! This should NOT happen, 343. How about we don't let games start without a full game? That sounds like a good option to me.

Omni

Mmm. Something I noticed about some dialogue that the Didact says in the last level. (almost finished solo legendary run, yay!)

He refers to Cortana as an evolved Ancilla. What does that even mean? I know an Ancilla is a Forerunner AI, but "evolved"? I wonder if the Librarian did something to her... Seems odd that she'd be killed off though. I doubt it's the last we'll see of her.

S1kkZ

nah, the worst level is by far
infinity. so fucking narrow, no open areas. the tank and mantis section feel like they belong into a cod game. aside from the beginning in the jungle, no combat sandbox gameplay.

Yager

Banned
Ok, a couple of things about last night games:

-Active Cammo is fucking terrible. Not only you can barely distinguish the guy who's using it in the radar, but also you can barely see him. Oh, and I tried to spot them with the Forerunner Vision, and it turns out that you can see them, but they don't appear red colored. What the fuck man? I mean, people in cammo should be a little easier to spot. Not saying that you must see them right away, but come on! There was this guy in Solace who spent the entire game hiding behind the corners with the Forerunner pistol charged, so he could "insta-kill" you. If you somehow managed to avoid that, he would run away, activate camo and repeat again and again and again...

-Playing drunk is fun...but the fun part dissapears the day after when you watch your stats. Yesterday my K/D ratio for Slayer was 1.69, today it went down to 1.4 :/

S1kkZ

Mmm. Something I noticed about some dialogue that the Didact says in the last level. (almost finished solo legendary run, yay!)

He refers to Cortana as an evolved Ancilla. What does that even mean? I know an Ancilla is a Forerunner AI, but "evolved"? I wonder if the Librarian did something to her... Seems odd that she'd be killed off though. I doubt it's the last we'll see of her.

she is a clone of halseys brain, so she is special. she was also changed/influenced by the gravemind. and lets not forget: the librarian planted "seeds" so evwrything would lead to this. the ai's are based on the forerunner ancillas, like master chiefs armor is based on ancient human/forerunner armors.

bte, did someone listen to the audio diary in the second to last level?
halsey is working on a machine that does the same stuff that the composer does. why would the librarian plant the seeds in a way, that lets humans would a new composer?

Ken

Reading the spoilers thread, I now realize that the crazier the fiction gets, the less I care about trying to follow it. I enjoyed it a bit more when it was just simple "people in cool looking armor fighting aliens in cool looking armor while spouting out fancy names in capital letters."

Ok, a couple of things about last night games:

-Active Cammo is fucking terrible. Not only you can barely distinguish the guy who's using it in the radar, but also you can barely see him. Oh, and I tried to spot them with the Forerunner Vision, and it turns out that you can see them, but they don't appear red colored. What the fuck man? I mean, people in cammo should be a little easier to spot. Not saying that you must see them right away, but come on! There was this guy in Solace who spent the entire game hiding behind the corners with the Forerunner pistol charged, so he could "insta-kill" you. If you somehow managed to avoid that, he would run away, activate camo and repeat again and again and again...

-Playing drunk is fun...but the fun part dissapears the day after when you watch your stats. Yesterday my K/D ratio for Slayer was 1.69, today it went down to 1.4 :/

That's the point.

Also, if the system is the same as Reach, it's not terribly difficult to pick out the correct blip on your radar when someone uses Active Camo.

This game is so much fun, even after my hands start aching I just keep going.
I agree. I am playing on Legendary and damn. It is fun. Requiem is such a great level. :)

An Ancilla was the companion of a Forerunner on his Journey. Cortana is Chief's companion. The difference and why the Didact called her "an evolved Ancilla" is, that she is more special. She is nearly human, has feelings, wants to be with the Chief. She wants to protect him. She has a consciousness. Furthermore she knows how to get on data unlike Ancillas who needed access to the Domain.

Yager

Banned
Reading the spoilers thread, I now realize that the crazier the fiction gets, the less I care about trying to follow it. I enjoyed it a bit more when it was just simple "people in cool looking armor fighting aliens in cool looking armor while spouting out fancy names in capital letters."

That's the point.

Also, if the system is the same as Reach, it's not terribly difficult to pick out the correct blip on your radar when someone uses Active Camo.

It's more difficult than in Reach. Like I said, I'm not asking for it to be "easy" to spot, but it should be less powerful. Try playing against a team in which everyone uses that AH. In Reach it was easier to counter it.

Pop

It's more difficult than in Reach. Like I said, I'm not asking for it to be "easy" to spot, but it should be less powerful. Try playing against a team in which everyone uses that AH. In Reach it was easier to counter it.

I just played Team Jetpack :/

Still isn't exciting haha

Arnie

Hmmm, the game has decided to stop giving me checkpoints on the third level. Interesting...

Happened to me on the fourth, and I was pushed back 45 minutes because of it. Ended up turning off and waiting 24 hours to resume. Low and behold, when I did, and when I passed a particularly tricky section, 'Checkpoint... Done'.

Conor 419

Banned
Halo 4's campaign was impeccable, it's criminally underrated.

Best artistic design in a video game since Xenoblade, easily the best looking FPS ever made.

Nirvana

Nope! It actually fills the role it's supposed to. I think it's the best iteration of the gun in the series.

I loved the Campaign, but I REALLY loved it on Legendary. I'm going to keep pushing everyone to play this thing on Legendary, because I think the encounters really shift in structure on that difficulty and make it far more interesting to play through.

On a side note, I've noticed people calling the Knights bullet sponges a la the Brutes on Halo 2, but I've found that you need to treat them like Halo 2 Legendary Elites - pop that shield first, head shots later. They are still a bit tougher and require a few headshots to die after their shields drop, but I started regarding encounters with them in a much more positive light once I realised it wasn't just a case of 'firefirefirefirefire' to kill them.

Also, I found most of the encounters boring and uninspired on Normal, but found them extremely satisfying on Legendary.

I think they did a good job with the difficulty here, it isn't Halo 2 hard, but it still pushes you to think tactically unlike Halo 3 and Reach.

I agree. I am playing on Legendary and damn. It is fun. Requiem is such a great level. :)

An Ancilla was the companion of a Forerunner on his Journey. Cortana is Chief's companion. The difference and why the Didact called her "an evolved Ancilla" is, that she is more special. She is nearly human, has feelings, wants to be with the Chief. She wants to protect him. She has a consciousness. Furthermore she knows how to get on data unlike Ancillas who needed access to the Domain.

-
I thought he called her a 'devolved Ancilla'.

On the topic of spoilers, I have a question that I hope someone can answer...which is also a massive spoiler.

Is Master Chief the one questioning Halsey at the start of the game? We see him take his armour off at the end of the game and they made a bit of an effort to conceal the interogators face. Also, she says 'What are you after? You're not like the others' etc.

Arnie

easily the best looking FPS ever made.

How it looks is probably around 10% of its total worth, to me. I think this is where a lot of people are diverging in their opinion of it. From a wholly gameplay perspective, and at just five missions in, only one level has impressed me thus far.

Omni

she is a clone of halseys brain, so she is special. she was also changed/influenced by the gravemind. and lets not forget: the librarian planted "seeds" so evwrything would lead to this. the ai's are based on the forerunner ancillas, like master chiefs armor is based on ancient human/forerunner armors.

Ahh, that makes sense :) I think that I'm just in denial, haha.
I just can't imagine Halo without Cortana to be honest. She gives that little something to the story

Finished my Legendary play through, just watching credits now. Why wasn't this music in the game, 343i? It's definitely different to previous iterations and sounds a lot better, but I don't remember hearing it in game. The first track anyway.

-
I thought he called her a 'devolved Ancilla'.
I play with subtitles on just in case I miss something. He says
Evolved

Top Bottom