• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

senador

Banned
Announcer and white text don't bother me, in fact I like them both. I thought Steitzer would annoy me but I like him fine in the game.

Halo 2 gunplay can only take this game so far, it's getting seriously boring already and I've been playing for less than a week... :(

They need to spice things up (aka make power weapon spawns fun again).

And wtf happened to the awesome strafing I heard about? Inertia seems worse than Reach here.

Yeah, I expected the strafe to be faster/better. I think it would help to speed it up a bit.

FyreWulff

Halo 2 gunplay can only take this game so far, it's getting seriously boring already and I've been playing for less than a week... :(

They need to spice things up (aka make power weapon spawns fun again).

And wtf happened to the awesome strafing I heard about? Inertia seems worse than Reach here.

Because people don't realize that increasing the strafing speed means you're increasing the speed for all players and not just them, so everyone is strafing the same speed, and can strafe with you at the same speed...

Omni

how to make this game better:

take out all the stupid crap 343 thought was a great idea

Meh. Hardlight shield needs to go, IMO. It's just as annoying as AL. The only time people use it is when they're about to die... which is incredibly frustrating when you have no grenades left.

Maybe nerf camo and fix Infinity slayer too and then the game would be pretty awesome... well more awesome than it is now.

Please, remove the rocket launcher on Dominion or at least allow Ordinance drops after 1 minute of the game. It just sad that one kid instanly gets free multi kills and capture the B point with one rocket and your team cant do anything about it because you were rushing to capture the point and this person just went to the rocket launcher and kill us all then go to the other point and do the same.

feel

Because people don't realize that increasing the strafing speed means you're increasing the speed for all players and not just them, so everyone is strafing the same speed, and can strafe with you at the same speed...
Maybe I wasn't clear by using "strafing" but I actually meant the little dance when you move side to side erratically trying to throw your opponents aiming off. The time it takes to reach full speed and to come to a full stop is very slow, you glide all over the place and can't dodge bullets worth a damn.

FyreWulff

Maybe I wasn't clear by using "strafing" but I actually meant the little dance when you move side to side erratically trying to throw your opponents aiming off. The time it takes to reach full speed and to come to a full stop is very slow, you glide all over the place and can't dodge bullets worth a damn.

Wouldn't matter. I'd just fire into the middle of the strafe and the networking would pull the bullets towards you on each side.

Meh. Hardlight shield needs to go, IMO. It's just as annoying as AL. The only time people use it is when they're about to die... which is incredibly frustrating when you have no grenades left.

Maybe nerf camo and fix Infinity slayer too and then the game would be pretty awesome.

If AL was a BSOD on a brand new PC, requiring a new mobo, HLS is a crash whilst shutting down of a 3 year old comp.

Why did I just come up with such a terrible analogy?

/end of day

FyreWulff

Ok wasn't clear on your previous post but now I know you're trolling me. :lol

It ain't trolling. That's what the engine actually does. Your bullet trajectories are steered towards other players in a networked game if you're aiming near them, even without a red reticule.

If you're strafing so fast that your body never stops occupying the space in the middle of the strafe, then all one needs to do is fire into the middle of the strafe to continue landing shots on you.

Omni

If AL was a BSOD on a brand new PC, requiring a new mobo, HLS is a crash whilst shutting down of a 3 year old comp.

Why did I just come up with such a terrible analogy?

/end of day

I don't even know, but... It's still frustrating, nonetheless. Armour lock is worse, no doubt, but HLS is just really annoying. All it does is give players who have been caught off guard a crutch to stand on.

Redford

aka Cabbie
how to make this game better:

take out all the stupid crap 343 thought was a great idea

No no, alot of it works well. Nade indicators, hit markers, loadouts and some of the AA's are pretty decent, and I still have hope for global and even personal ordnance if they tweak it to be a bit more predictable and conservative. Both are a great way to encourage use of the whole sandbox.

Eh, I'm not going to argue with you. They used some CoD ideas, yes, but 90%? Please.

Simply curious, can you name ones that are unambiguously original? I honestly can't.

kylej

Banned
GTA V looks awesome

Too bad they didn't delay it to be a next gen game. I can only imagine how that game will chug on these gross dinosaurs we call consoles.

No no, alot of it works well. Nade indicators, hit markers, loadouts and some of the AA's are pretty decent, and I still have hope for global and even personal ordnance if they tweak it to be a bit more predictable and conservative. Both are a great way to encourage use of the whole sandbox.

Simply curious, can you name ones that are unambiguously original? I honestly can't.

HaloGAF list brigade go!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Every multiplayer map.
Every new weapon.
Armor abilities.
Game modes like Dominion.
Armor unlocks.
Global ordinance.
Vehicles.
A good campaign.
UI (like it or not)
Matchmaking (oh, CoD stole that from Halo)

or, you know

The entirety of the core gameplay?

The only thing they really borrowed from CoD heavily on was the progression system. Unlocking guns, skins, loadouts, etc. A UI element here and there, but most of the things they borrowed are not the core gameplay. Armor mods are similar to perks, but 343 toned them down a bit at least.

Which is a good thing.

Strafing was great in the older games except reach.

Beckx

According to This image, that is only unlockable through an achievement or preorder bonus.

Couldn't find any more information beyond that. Sorry man.

Ah, bummer. The joker card emblem is gone.

-------------------------

Enjoying multiplayer quite a bit so far. But not sure I'm even going to finish the campaign. Limited time to play anything right now, for that matter.

feel

It ain't trolling. That's what the engine actually does. Your bullet trajectories are steered towards other players in a networked game if you're aiming near them, even without a red reticule.
I know but what you suggest could only possible work on someone at a close distance that is flicking the stick super fast back and forth, going both ways just half a step and practically not even moving, that's not how an experienced player does it, he takes 2 steps one way, 1 the other then 4 steps one way, then back another step, and so on. With fast changes of direction at mid distance it's not easy to hit a good strafer while aiming with a gamepad stick even with aim assist trying to help and the skill gap widens (THE HORROR) leading to a lot of great comebacks, years of Halo 2 proves it.

willow ve

Every multiplayer map.
Every new weapon.
Armor abilities.
Armor unlocks.
Global ordinance.
Vehicles.
A good campaign.

or, you know

The only thing they really borrowed from CoD heavily on was the progression system. Unlocking guns, skins, etc. A UI element here and there, but most of the things they borrowed are not the core gameplay.

Just playing devil's advocate here. But they also took.

Hit X to instantly respawn
Random respawns all over map
Can't drop flag (and have weapon with flag)
Kill Cam
Loadout creation (taken from Reach, but still from COD/BF)
Perks
Kill Streak Rewards
Join in Progress
Points/score instead of kills
Hit markers on grenades

Probably more...

Added loadouts/armor mods to my reply.

Can't drop the flag is not something CoD invented, nor is instant respawn or random respawn. Loadouts existed before CoD I beleve. As did join in progress. Same with points.

CoD's big innovation is progression and perks.

Even if they didn't "invent" those items those are things that were made popular by and are now very closely associated with the COD franchise.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Just playing devil's advocate here. But they also took.

Hit X to instantly respawn
Random respawns all over map
Can't drop flag (and have weapon with flag)
Kill Cam
Loadout creation (taken from Reach, but still from COD/BF)
Perks
Kill Streak Rewards
Join in Progress
Points/score instead of kills

Probably more...

Added loadouts/armor mods to my reply.

Can't drop the flag is not something CoD invented, nor is instant respawn or random respawn. Loadouts existed before CoD I beleve. As did join in progress. Same with points.

CoD's big innovation is progression and perks. These are the main two that I see being borrowed from CoD. The rest might have been made more popular by CoD, but in no ways did CoD invent those.

Thus my statement yesterday about the gaming industry being built on "stealing" ideas. DOOM clone, and all that.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Every multiplayer map.
Every new weapon.
Armor abilities.
Armor unlocks.
Global ordinance.
Vehicles.
A good campaign.

or, you know

All of those are given standards for a new Halo game, or any game really. Don't mean to move goalposts, but in terms of *new* things, I still come up short.

And as for core gameplay, the reason it is so amazing is that it's been stripped down from 2 games worth of extraneous mechanics. Which is commendable, but I wouldn't say it's as obviously original as you're suggesting.

It's not so much about how much they "stole", but more about how much they borrowed standing in for the new stuff they didn't add.

This game is really good, it just needs some tweaks. I think my initial disappointment came from the fact since Halo 3, all I have really wanted is Halo 3.5. Reach wasn't that, and this isn't that. Now that I've kind of accepted that, I can just enjoy the game for what it is, Halo 4, not Halo 3.5. The stuff I hope they change/fix soon,
-instant respawns
-random global ordnance
-general glitch fix
-make CSR viewable in game whenever they add it
-remove killcams

I also hope there are more smaller maps in the map packs. I really like Adrift, Haven, and Solace, but Complex and Abandon aren't that great.

Every multiplayer map.
Every new weapon.
Armor abilities.
Armor unlocks.
Global ordinance.
Vehicles.
A good campaign.
UI (like it or not)
Matchmaking (oh, CoD stole that from Halo)

or, you know

The only thing they really borrowed from CoD heavily on was the progression system. Unlocking guns, skins, loadouts, etc. A UI element here and there, but most of the things they borrowed are not the core gameplay. Armor mods are similar to perks, but 343 toned them down a bit at least.

Its COD's Domination.

Omni

I thought we all agreed that Halo 4's movement was great? But now people are complaining that it's the same as Reach?

Blinding

CoD's big innovation is progression and perks. These are the main two that I see being borrowed from CoD. The rest might have been made more popular by CoD, but in no ways did CoD invent those.

From what I've seen no one is arguing that CoD invented these elements, rather that because they used the elements in a highly successful way they in turn set the trend that 343i is seemingly following. It's suspicious that these elements were not in Halo but then suddenly were tossed in when CoD got big, and the overall unpolished feel of Halo 4 doesn't help with that suspicion.

orznge

Banned
Point is, strafe seems to have been getting nerfed since Halo 2. I remember in Halo 2 and even some in Halo 3 some people had like WIZARD strafes where it almost looked like they were lagging.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51bFbUe5TFA

I can't tell if Halo 4 has more, less, or the same inertia Reach had

I really doubt any Halo designer that is currently a part of the game's development wants someone to be able to move in such a way that it causes another player to miss a shot, at least without it being facilitated by an armor ability. I'd imagine most of the people who have any say in Halo's basic mechanics at this point think of making someone miss via strafing to be an exploit of a design oversight lol

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
All of those are given standards for a new Halo game, or any game really. Don't mean to move goalposts, but in terms of *new* things, I still come up short.

And as for core gameplay, the reason it is so amazing is that it's been stripped down from 2 games worth of extraneous mechanics. Which is commendable, but I wouldn't say it's as obviously original as you're suggesting.

My point is which of these "stolen" ideas did CoD invent? One? The gaming industry's cycle of borrowing the most popular mechanics continues on as it always has. Some people seem to forget that Halo 1 borrowed things from other shooters. As did CoD 1 (and 4 for that matter).

I couldn't care less at this point. It just URKs* me when people say Halo "stole" such and such an idea (or any game for that matter) when in reality the games they say they stole from also "stole" those ideas from someone else.

*Seeing if Urk really does have an alert on Gaf.

Its COD's Domination.

How so? In Domination you don't gain defenses as time moves on do you? I mean, seriously here, how much has to change about something before it's not stolen? Is CoD's Domination basically Halo's territories mode? Did they steal that?

From what I've seen no one is arguing that CoD invented these elements, rather that because they used the elements in a highly successful way they in turn set the trend that 343i is seemingly following. It's suspicious that these elements were not in Halo but then suddenly were tossed in when CoD got big, and the overall unpolished feel of Halo 4 doesn't help with that suspicion.

This is pretty much exactly my point about the industry. If something is extremely popular it gets borrowed, updated, tweaked, and put into a different game. Every single game out there does this. Why all of the sudden is it odd when Halo takes some popular features and tweaks them to fit in with a new Halo franchise?

Does anyone else wonder why there are still so many Covenant on Requiem? Are they all just kinda sitting on the planet or they come from ships? In the latter case, why doesn't the Infinity just blow them up?

Risen

I peed a little at your humor.

I really doubt any Halo designer that is currently a part of the game's development wants someone to be able to move in such a way that it causes another player to miss a shot, at least without it being facilitated by an armor ability. I'd imagine most of the people who have any say in Halo's basic mechanics at this point think of making someone miss via strafing to be an exploit of a design oversight lol

OOOO I like this post.

Blinding

Yeah, Halo has had join in progress since Halo PC, and directly matchmakes it in Halo 2 Vista..

That's mostly because both of those games had server based multiplayer, where as with 4 it's been causing a slew of connection issues thanks to the game trying to argue about who should be host: someone already in the game, or someone who just joined.

Redford

aka Cabbie
My point is which of these "stolen" ideas did CoD invent? One? The gaming industry's cycle of borrowing the most popular mechanics continues on as it always has. Some people seem to forget that Halo 1 borrowed things from other shooters. As did CoD 1 (and 4 for that matter).

I couldn't care less at this point. It just URKs* me when people say Halo "stole" such and such an idea (or any game for that matter) when in reality the games they say they stole from also "stole" those ideas from someone else.

I'll just copy-paste my edit:

It's not so much about how much they "stole", but more about how much they borrowed standing in for the new stuff they didn't add.

If it weren't for the cut features and a largely untouched forge, I would say Halo 4 is acceptable as an iterative instalment, because it really does clean up some of Reach's worst mechanics. Most surprisingly AA's, even though most are saying they are somewhat useless.

But to come out with more CoD and actually less Halo (campaign theater, even little things like red x's) is a bit of a different situation from just adding popular mechanics. I understand those features may come in the future and were cut for a reason, but it throws people off.

FyreWulff

That's mostly because both of those games had server based multiplayer, where as with 4 it's been causing a slew of connection issues thanks to the game trying to argue about who should be host: someone already in the game, or someone who just joined.

In Halo 2 Vista you get JIP'd into peer hosted games along with server-based games.

I wish there was a better acronym than JIP for this.

Omni

Yeah, Halo has had join in progress since Halo PC, and directly matchmakes it in Halo 2 Vista..

Still annoys me how Bungie and Microsoft effectively abandoned Halo 2: Vista after it was released. Now I know Bungie didn't port it, but they were happy to advertise it all over the site before release and conveniently didn't mention it again afterwards. It's no wonder the community gave up on it as fast as they did.

Was hoping 343i would support it (at least in regards to achievements) but apparently they couldn't give a shit about it either.

orznge

Banned
Still annoys me how Bungie and Microsoft effectively abandoned Halo 2: Vista after it was released. Now I know Bungie didn't port it, but they were happy to advertise it all over the site before release and conveniently didn't mention it again afterwards. It's no wonder the community gave up on it as fast as they did.

Was hoping 343i would support it (at least in regards to achievements) but apparently they could've give a shit about it either.

they should just release the Halo PC source code

Different approach vectors. Requeim is massve.

Still, Infinity has some frigates that could patrol around the planet, plus they could send out drones to track Covenant ships. It just seemed weird that the UNSC seemingly isn't doing much to stop the Covenant from getting on Requiem and is only acting when it's already too late.

Was hoping 343i would support it (at least in regards to achievements) but apparently they couldn't give a shit about it either.

It was tied to vista for no apparent reason. It was doomed from the start tbh.

BigShow36

I thought we all agreed that Halo 4's movement was great? But now people are complaining that it's the same as Reach?

I never thought it was great. In fact, I pointed out how slow the movement and strafe looked well before release based on videos we saw. Of course, everyone dismissed that because I hadn't played the game.

FyreWulff

Sent to die. Being playable on XP wouldn't have helped.

Top Bottom