• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HOGWARTS LEGACY SOLD 256% MORE THAN PREDICTED

Esca

That's great news. The game is great, I put 92 hours into it and didn't even realize it till i was done I had nearly platinum it just by playing on my own. The detail was amazing on everything making it the Wizarding world. Hogwarts itself is such a joy to explore, I know I spent a lot of time in there.

Combat was fun with so many options. Ii enjoyed the side stuff a lot like capturing/breeding beasts and decorating their environments as well as your personal space to grow plants and make portions. Game is lacking in some QoL stuff, most notably not being able to respect (pc has a mod for that). I enjoyed the characters and quests as well as the campaign

NikuNashi

YFwPpKz.gif

I would go so hard on that Azkaban she would break my broomstick in half.

Moneal

Is there anything in the game itself that says Sirona is trans? I don't recall even the letters fetch quest saying anything concrete, just vagueposting about difficulties growing up and fitting in at Hogwarts. Call her an androgynous (biological) female & lesbian/bi with a really shitty voice actor and all's good.
There is a line about the goblin Lodgok recognizing that they were a witch before her classmates did.

Outside of owning the libs, was this game even that good? Be honest.
Best game I've played in years. Very relaxing and addictive and most importantly - very very fun to play. A clever game.

It's absolutely loaded with content and to me it doesn't feel like padding either.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Everybody even woman i know wanted to play this game, that never play games. So yea i can see it selling well. Didn't play it myself yet, will wait until its on sale.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
256% MORE THAN, or 256% OF the predicted numbers (which would mean 156% more)? Pretty big difference, and the title and text seem to disagree. Either way, good results.

Last edited:

mdkirby

Outside of owning the libs, was this game even that good? Be honest.
It was good. Not without flaws, primarily the underdeveloped dungeons and a terribly designed and unrewarding loot system, along with other redundant systems it feels like they threw in just 'because'. Like solving an ancient wizards long lost magical door lock puzzle in a hidden underwater cave and finding....a common green or brown shade school jumper in his locked treasure chest...is erm crap. It needed far more unique and interesting loot.

All the repeated open world 'things to do' there was about 50% too many, hell you would actually unlock the reward for completing them when you were only half way through the total available for some with the quest giver going 'yey, well done, here's a reward, there's still tons more out there, but for some reason I don't give a fuck about those ones'. The world lacked some variety too. All those critiques aside it was a solid game, and a great Harry Potter universe game.

As for owning the libs, it was always a dumb premise, hell its probably the most representative and diverse game ive played, and certainly is the most representative among AAA games. It has trans characters, gay characters, you can be a non binary wizard if you want to be, and it has representation from every ethnicity you can think of, and trans/gay actors... Really the LGBT community should have been shouting from the rooftops about how an amazing an example it was and how great it was for the community, and for how positive it would be for young gamers struggling with their identity, and being able to see themselves represented in such a major property...instead they tried to cancel it and everyone who dared to play it or work on it. Freaking bizarre situation. The fact they went so hard on actively trying/demanding that countless millions of people should feel bad about something they love (including my wife who had people on her socials saying if anyone they knew played it, they are a disgrace and are no longer their friend and should unfriend them) is so fucked up, given that is exactly what their community is supposed to be against and has campaign on (and rightly so) for decades. I'm genuinely of the opinion the campaign against the game has likely done some lasting damage to the LGBT community as it will have alienated a huge number of people who will now as a result will be more receptive to right wing messaging (in a coming election year where gender politics is a big factor).

mcjmetroid

Honestly I think the boycott completely worked against them as predicted. It's possible the original predictions were accurate but " owning the libs" and the free advertisements it constantly got gave it the higher attention it needed.

It completely backfired. Not only did the game do record-breaking numbers, a new series is being created despite the massive backlash with a more direct involvement from jk Rowling. They're not even trying to hide this, they don't give a shit anymore.

It basically proved to media companies that despite this boycott..the game still did very well and this was the highest profile boycott they've ever tried. This was their best effort and they failed.

A lot of us have been saying it all along. Twitter is not only full of bots but even the real ones are a very very tiny minority and do not represent the popular opinion and the popular opinion is....
Nobody cares.

I
Honestly I think the boycott completely worked against them as predicted. It's possible the original predictions were accurate but " owning the libs" and the free advertisements it constantly got gave it the higher attention it needed.

It completely backfired. Not only did the game do record-breaking numbers, a new series is being created despite the massive backlash with a more direct involvement from jk Rowling. They're not even trying to hide this, they don't give a shit anymore.

It basically proved to media companies that despite this boycott..the game still did very well and this was the highest profile boycott they've ever tried. This was their best effort and they failed.

A lot of us have been saying it all along. Twitter is not only full of bots but even the real ones are a very very tiny minority and do not represent the popular opinion and the popular opinion is....
Nobody cares.
Agree. And in the words of Brother Andrew Tate, they emptied the clip into Hogwarts legacy and it still stood there, unfazed. 😂

Last edited:
Well it did have a level of free advertisement that most developers could only dream of. Like Trump, he had 24/7 coverage and still does. Never learn.

Cherrypepsi

I'm glad that fans of the franchise got a high quality game to play. well done and kudos to all that have worked on this game.

I posted this news on r/games, made it to the front page with 5000+ upvotes and the mods locked the thread/perma banned me lol.

Suffice to say they are beyond pissed at how well this game is doing.

edit: Just checked, even after locking it now up to 6K upvotes lol

Last edited:
That's crazy. If I was a dev, I would intentionally create out rage like it to see if it worked. It wouldn't even have to be anything extreme. 'Please look forward to Njnja Gaiden 4. Btw. Men can never become women. Thank you'

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
That's crazy. If I was a dev, I would intentionally create out rage like it to see if it worked. It wouldn't even have to be anything extreme. 'Please look forward to Njnja Gaiden 4. Btw. Men can never become women. Thank you'

Outrage marketing happens all the time now. Corporations have figured out how to do it. And it works almost all the time. If the content is good, outrage marketing is a perfect tool to use to boost your product.

You can see Disney doing that now with the new "Little Mermaid" movie with the lead being a black woman. The "Go Woke, Go Broke" crew are marketing the crap out of that movie, more than they realize.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Outrage marketing happens all the time now. Corporations have figured out how to do it. And it works almost all the time. If the content is good, outrage marketing is a perfect tool to use to boost your product.

You can see Disney doing that now with the new "Little Mermaid" movie with the lead being a black woman. The "Go Woke, Go Broke" crew are marketing the crap out of that movie, more than they realize.
Does that work all the time? Maybe it worked at one time but doesn’t seem like like it’s so effective anymore. Lightyear snd Strange World both tried that in 2022 and they both flopped.

I just hope they finally get around to patching the PS5 version. I literally have completed EVERYTHING and earned the Platinum, but it won't pop due to the two glitched-out Bell Tower Courtyard Field Guide Page quests. I collected both pages ages ago, but the counter refuses to recognize them. I mean really, how difficult and how long should it take for Avalanche to fix this?? Super frustrating!

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I hope the devs took a moment to thank the REE Asylum and their ilk for doing such a wonderful job of promotion for the game.

Fbh

Nice.
Avalanche has basically gone from a lesser known dev working on AA stuff and toys to life to a AAA juggernaut.
Looking forward to what they do next as there's clearly a lot of talent there

It only works if your game looks good and you are using a massively popular IP though.

The outrage ensured the game stayed relevant and as a topic of conversation. But the vast majority of people bought this game because they like HP and it legitimately looked good

Top Bottom