• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn 4k mode vs Performance mode graphical differences

Curious to see the differences between these two modes i decided to make some 1:1 comparison shots and save them as apng's.

So far the main difference i see is the DOF renders at an increased resolution in performance mode, there are other small subtle changes though like the hair looking a little different. 4k mode features better looking textures pretty much everywhere. Let me know if the images don't load properly and i'll upload them to a different site.

20ff6d.png

7eb45e.png

329dae.png

43bdd7.png

6721b5.png

1198c7.png

Details like pores on the face are sometimes hard to discern in performance mode. Have you guys spotted any other differences?

bombshell

APNG? Meaning they're supposed to cycle between the comparison images? They don't for me (Chrome)

One thing is for sure, Horizon is a ridiculously good looking open world game.

napata

Why does 4k mode have tons of aliasing while performance mode has very little. Makes no sense. Are you sure 4k mode is not performance mode in those screens?

They're all proper labels guys. Open zoom in on the pictures and 4K had better texture res on the fabric. I will upload them all to the screenshot comparison site a little later.

danowat

Banned
There is definitely something odd going on with the two different modes.

FWIW, I can only see the 4k versions too, on chrome.

Schrade

APNG? Meaning they're supposed to cycle between the comparison images? They don't for me (Chrome)

One thing is for sure, Horizon is a ridiculously good looking open world game.

Seems not to work on Edge. :/

Try Firefox or Pale Moon or Cyberfox.

Why does 4k mode have tons of aliasing while performance mode has very little. Makes no sense. Are you sure 4k mode is not performance mode in those screens?

Seeing the same. 4k looks the worse of the two. Are they switched?

also yeah...are you sure the labels aren't switched?

Yeah somethings off.

Believe me, they aren't off. I am running it in 1080p and am using the "Prefer Quality" mode vs. the Performance mode and I was noticing the chunky aliasing on the edges of character models vs. the background whenever there was some sort of alpha effect or Depth of Field effect.

These APNGs are just proof enough for me to go and switch to Performance Mode when I get home tonight.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Try Firefox or Pale Moon or Cyberfox.

Believe me, they aren't off. I am running it in 1080p and am using the "Prefer Quality" mode vs. the Performance mode and I was noticing the chunky aliasing on the edges of character models vs. the background whenever there was some sort of alpha effect or Depth of Field effect.

huh...i guess i should check it out. i didn't even bother to try performance mode yet as i assumed that quality/4k would get rid of all the shimmering due to aliasing like in ROTR

Performance screenshots look better to me.

And PS4 is a lot quiter while in performance mode.

No reason to use quality mode if you're using 1080 tv.

Here is zoomed in

texture2rkz3.png

4k has better texture res or maybe it is because of 4k CB? Performance mode seems to be 1080p with some really good aa solution, it still looks clearer than regular ps4 1080p.

To me, the difference between the two looked like everything was "frozen" and someone made a slight change to the light source so I can see like different shadows on everything.

When I could see a difference, it seemed like Performance mode had more detail, but I really had to like stare at a boarhead to notice it rather than actually looking at the people (I wouldn't stare this hard with motion and audio weaved in).

Are differences like this what we're supposed to pay a premium for on Scorpio?

23qwerty

To me, the difference between the two looked like everything was "frozen" and someone made a slight change to the light source so I can see like different shadows on everything.

When I could see a difference, it seemed like Performance mode had more detail, but I really had to like stare at a boarhead to notice it rather than actually looking at the people (I wouldn't stare this hard with motion and audio weaved in).

Are differences like this what we're supposed to pay a premium for on Scorpio?
performance mode is still a pro mode

nOoblet16

It seems that the aliasing here is caused due to the lower quality DoF.
I didn't think there was a difference in graphics between performance and resolution mode outside of texture res/AF and the resolution itself all of which were superior in resolution mode.

But seems like resolution mode has worse DoF as its one downside.

I'm on a 1080p TV and ended up on performance mode since it apparently had better or more graphical effects (something to that effect is said in the description). Tried switching back and forth between the two and couldn't tell the difference but, again, I'm on a 1080p TV.

Gitaroo

I think the DOF difference might be a side effect of checkerboard rendering. If you look at the first shot, the 3 dots glow on the bottom left look like they are stretch sideway in 4K compare the performance mode which is are perfect circles.

Tyaren

Got the pics to work in a different browser and I have no idea what's going on here, but 1080p mode does indeed look better than 4K mode in these shots.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Haven't played yet, but one of the benefits of downsampling should be a near elimination of temporal aliasing, the shimmering you see on a moving image. Can anyone comment on whether that's the case here?

Seems that performance mode might have better reflections based on the comparisons above.

Using my LG 55 B6 OLED the differences between the two are very clear. OLED is unforgiving on details so in this case it's the display tech that's revealing a difference. Also my PS4 Pro runs at the same loudness in either mode.

FYI since I forgot to add the 4K versus 1080p supersampled the win goes to 4K.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Haven't played yet, but one of the benefits of downsampling should be a near elimination of temporal aliasing, the shimmering you see on a moving image. Can anyone comment on whether that's the case here?

Seems that performance mode might have better reflections based on the comparisons above.

Yeah...that was the big thing for me with Tomb Raider when choosing the 4K mode. Guess I should try it myself.

Top Bottom