• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Are People You Know In Real Life Responding To Xbox One?

Everyone I tell says 'Oh really? Cool. When is it coming out? Can I play my 360 games? And how much will it cost?

I tell them they need to watch the videos online to understand. One friend did and declared he wanted it immediately. The others will end up waiting a few years.

artist

Banned
My gaming social circle is about 20% PC, 50% 360 & 30% PS3. Post reveal, the reactions have been completely negative and 360 owners have been the most vocal about it, probably since they were planning on getting one. This was a complete opposite of the PS4 unveil, which is why I was really curious if my case was an outlier and made that thread where I asked how the mainstream press reacted to the Xbox reveal.

I think I'll be able to convince and convert most of my 360 friends to PC or PS4.

a friend of mine that's a game developer finally chimed in when i was ranting to him about the X1 reveal. all he did was grin and then said "yeah.... it's bad." then we continued eating sushi.

a lot of my friends that are the type that will play anything and typically have all consoles (shared in a poorly kept apartment) but only the big exclusives for each were popping up online ranting about how bad the X1 stuff was. apparently one of them even watched the stream. a few of them also got into an e-argument on facebook. (one of them was the "i hate sony" guy i mentioned before.)

really interesting considering it was almost the complete opposite of my experience after the PS3 reveal. i was one of the only people i knew that wanted a PS3 instead of 360. even gamestop employees were badgering customers when i was in there if they seemed interested in PS3. "nah man 360 is the way to go that PS3's a waste of money" etc.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
a friend of mine that's a game developer finally chimed in when i was ranting to him about the X1 reveal. all he did was grin and then said "yeah.... it's bad." then we continued eating sushi.

a lot of my friends that are the type that will play anything and typically have all consoles (shared in a poorly kept apartment) but only the big exclusives for each were popping up online ranting about how bad the X1 stuff was. apparently one of them even watched the stream. a few of them also got into an e-argument on facebook. (one of them was the "i hate sony" guy i mentioned before.)

really interesting considering it was almost the complete opposite of my experience after the PS3 reveal. i was one of the only people i knew that wanted a PS3 instead of 360. even gamestop employees were badgering customers when i was in there if they seemed interested in PS3. "nah man 360 is the way to go that PS3's a waste of money" etc.

if true, I have to ask, big or small stuido... not looking for names remind you

My two best friends joined me in mocking it.

One friend who would never even consider buying a Microsoft console and didn't even watch the event just tore into it.

linkboy

Everyone I've talked to about it thought it sounded great.

Then they found out about all of MS's used games and loaned game stance and their tune quickly changed.

JCreasy

I talked to my dude-bro co-worker about it today.

His first impression was that it was ugly.

Even though I'm a Sony fan, I like to think of myself as fairminded and I just want people to have the product that will make them happy. So, crazy enough, I actually pitched him on the fantasy football features, knowing he's a huge sports fan. I actually tried to help MS out, haha.

At first he thought it was kinda cool, but he was ultimately just "meh" about it. He told me that the idea of reviewing his fantasy league on his TV screen like that just didn't appeal to him. I was a little surprised. He just stared at a picture of it on his television monitor and told me it was ugly again.

So, yeah. Dogshit.

if true, I have to ask, big or small stuido... not looking for names remind you

a small studio that is outsourced by bigger (and important) developers to work on specific things for them. think of it like how Tarsier Studios was tasked with making the DLC for LittleBigPlanet 2 despite the main game being made by MM. he wouldn't tell me anything else though, and im surprised he even commented. he's tight lipped and when i press him he gets defensive so i let it go usually. he also works long hours and generally doesn't like talking about work. he's told me his company name at least a dozen times and i always forget it.

i'm not trying to act like i have connections now or anything. i was just surprised that he even uttered that small phrase and thought it was worth noting that obviously (as GAF knows) you can't take what developer/publisher spokespeople say about the console makers at face value. besides, we saw a lot of devs last gen say how awesome PS3 was while others were saying how bad it was to make games for.

lol I find it funny that you care how they spend their money.

i care how my friends could potentially be making the industry worse for everyone by making ill-informed decisions. PS4 is going to have FIFA too and if it doesn't copy X1's consumer-unfriendly DRM model then i'd be urging them to consider PS4 instead. thus voting with their wallets that games matter, and treating consumers this way is getting the thumbs down.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I haven't heard anything since the conference.
But after the PS4 announcement, a lapsed gamer at work asked me if I'd seen the PS4 reveal and said, "My friend at Studio Name Redacted said that the new Xbox is a pile of crap.".

friday

I dont think anyone I know cares about these big press events. They just want to play the new CoD and GTA type games. Usually it is a go with what you know situation with those guys.

Codeblew

I am 40+ and only have 3 friends that are gamers. They are all PS3/PC this gen. That will not change next gen. I doubt it would have changed if MS hit a homerun on Tuesday, however.

My cube neighbor has a 360 for his niece and nephew. The no used game thing is going to prevent him from getting an XB1. His nephew buys a lot of original xbox (the real XB1) games for cheap and plays them on the 360.

ajjow

People that i know told me that games are babies' toys.

The judge told me he would arrest me if I kept watching that crazy gaminh thing in the forum. Only the arrestes guy seemed vaguely interested....

Real world is terrible...

Interesting. For some of the people I know who primarily game on 360, this had no effect one way or another and still going to buy it as long as Halo/Gears are on it. People who don't game on 360, this also had no effect either.

Some positive/negative perceptions about kinect(the negative being mandatory kinect), but nothing to sway opinion either way. "I'm always online" & "I buy new anyway" was said. I'll note these are pretty casual gamers (in terms of buying software, halo-madden thats it)

All anecdotal, but I will say this TV strategy would not work on most in their 20s. Just complete apathy.

ShinAmano

i care how my friends could potentially be making the industry worse for everyone by making ill-informed decisions. PS4 is going to have FIFA too and if it doesn't copy X1's consumer-unfriendly DRM model then i'd be urging them to consider PS4 instead. thus voting with their wallets that games matter, and treating consumers this way is getting the thumbs down.

It is possible that people don't care about used games, no need to white knight.

Personally I think the used/lending stuff sucks if you can't lend or buy used. Others that I talked to had more a problem with no BC than anything. That said I will be waiting to hear what Sony has to say on the matter before declaring 'the whole industry' is going to be worse.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Our delivery driver seemed excited until I told him there was no backwards compatability and the idea of renting out a game was as good as buried.

Every single person I know has had a negative reaction. The folks I know who only have 360s have been the most vitriolic by far. I asked my dudebro friends, those who are extremely casual and might get it for sports or Call of Duty. They were meh/positive, until I told them about the TV Focus/Used Game/Online connection stuff. I undersold those negatives if anything, and they all balked at one or more of those.

Universally negative from a pretty large sample size, ranging from confused indifference to vitriolic hatred.

It is possible that people don't care about used games, no need to white knight.

Personally I think the used/lending stuff sucks if you can't lend or buy used. Others that I talked to had more a problem with no BC than anything. That said I will be waiting to hear what Sony has to say on the matter before declaring 'the whole industry' is going to be worse.

my point is that if they are indifferent to the policies and want a game that's on both platforms, what's so wrong about nudging them one way or another so that you can contribute one extra person so that hopefully shit doesn't suck for you personally later on?

it's really not that big of a deal. if they were going crazy for kinect and the tv stuff and all that fine, they can have it. they obviously see something the console is doing that they like. but if they just want a single multiplat game and simply don't know anything about PS4 i'd be like hey dudes PS4 has it too, and you can sell it when you're done.

My gaming social circle is about 20% PC, 50% 360 & 30% PS3. Post reveal, the reactions have been completely negative and 360 owners have been the most vocal about it, probably since they were planning on getting one. This was a complete opposite of the PS4 unveil, which is why I was really curious if my case was an outlier and made that thread where I asked how the mainstream press reacted to the Xbox reveal.

I think I'll be able to convince and convert most of my 360 friends to PC or PS4.

I like you.

ShinAmano

my point is that if they are indifferent to the policies and want a game that's on both platforms, what's so wrong about nudging them one way or another so that you can contribute one extra person so that hopefully shit doesn't suck for you personally later on?

it's really not that big of a deal. if they were going crazy for kinect and the tv stuff and all that fine, they can have it. they obviously see something the console is doing that they like. but if they just want a single multiplat game and simply don't know anything about PS4 i'd be like hey dudes PS4 has it too, and you can sell it when you're done.

According to the conference Fifa has more features on xb1.

I don't really care either way I will be an xb1ps4 house I just find the rage/angst hilarious.

DryvBy

My brother: "Xbox isn't going to charge for used games." I gave him the run down and his response is "Don't care what they want to do. XBox is better.". Complete die-hard fanboy.

My dad: "Son, gaming is a waste of time. You need to grow up and act your age." So he's against Steam, PS4, WiiU, and the Xbox Uno.

Best friend: "Why would anyone want that? Are they selling a Dell $299 PC or selling a gaming console?"

Friend from work: "I didn't like what I saw so far but I know Microsoft will pull it off. They're going to have better exclusives.

Karak

Friend from work: "I didn't like what I saw so far but I know Microsoft will pull it off. They're going to have better exclusives.

That last bit is something I am hearing a ton about today and this afternoon. Most already knew the conference didn't pertain to games as a focus though.

That last bit is something I am hearing a ton about today and this afternoon. Most already knew the conference didn't pertain to games as a focus though.

yeah i quite often hear "exclusives like gears and halo" and i really start to wonder if they're buying a console for those two games. if that's the case, just say that. otherwise, PS3 has quite the case against that ideology if you look at the exclusive's it's been getting lately. meaning Sony is just as capable of getting exclusives too.

i wonder if they'll get into a numbers war at E3, citing how many upcoming games are in development. those were the good old days with PS360 reveals.

Sheroking

My CoD playing roommates, who have a PS3 with 15+ games at their disposal and NEVER touch it (one goes so far as to box it up when he cleans), basically said "fuck that".

MrDaravon

At my job I work largely with young to middle-aged women with children. I have never really talked to most of these people, much less about anything game-related. Today I heard one of the younger girls talking about how it was going to suck because she heard on NPR that you had to buy the game, but then you just got a number to enter online to download the game, and then you couldn't resell the game or buy it used. The older lady she was talking to then flipped out when the younger girl told her that it could only be hooked up with HDMI and has to be online, since the older woman doesn't allow games in the living room, and in the kids room they don't have internet or HDMI. She had no idea what wireless internet was.

So as amusing as that was, still all anecdotal.

Among people I know outside of work who are gamers but relatively casual (they play a fair amount of games, but wouldn't go to a website for them usually) are just totally dumping on this thing because of the used games and always online thing. These are people who don't like to spend a ton of money on games, and getting used games for them and/or their kids is a big deal, and some of them either don't have HDTVs or internet in the kids rooms where this would be. These are folks largely used to going to Gamestop, trading in games for 25 cents and getting new games. None of these people are happy. And even though most of these people aren't what I would consider tech savvy, quite a few of them have already dropped cable so that angle has no appeal. Several of them have said verbatim that they already have Netflix and Hulu, so why would they get cable?

Based on what info?

There was quite a bit of information out there about the console minutes after the conference was over.

As I said in another thread, I didn't even watch the whole thing and I knew all about it before I got into work that same day without even trying to find the information.

How mature.

Let me guess, 6th grade?

Does that hurt your feelings?

I mock a lot of things that I think should be mocked.

And I'm actually in fourth grade. Your face is mature, poopyhead.

steveovig

I heard some fat guy in Target, working at the cell phone dept., talking to some customer about it and the cloud service. Seemingly, I wanted to strangle him for saying the system looks good.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
My wife thought the OS was neat. She really does not care about gaming systems though. I talked about it with a few of my co-workers and they seem to think Kinect 2 looks neat, the tv integration looks cool but would most likely not be used by them, annoyed by the used game confusion and really just want to see more games. I asked them how they feel about it compared to the PS4 and none of them knew anything about the PS4. So who knows.

Can someone please define dudebro for me? I'm still not sure I get it.

Orca

You're going to be that guy standing at Walmart on launch day sighing at people and telling them how bad it is, aren't you?

THAT guy.

Top Bottom