• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How common is a sexless marriage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokyDave

If the missus wants to become the Mrs, I need assurances that the blowjobs will keep flowing and that we'll be squashing groins on the regular.

That or an agreement that 25% of my wages can be ring-fenced to spend on whores. Either really.

SmokyDave said:
If the missus wants to become the Mrs, I need assurances that the blowjobs will keep flowing and that we'll be squashing groins on the regular.

That or an agreement that 25% of my wages can be ring-fenced to spend on whores. Either really.

You can save money on whores if you can talk the lady into an open marriage.

SmokyDave

acheron_xl said:
You can save money on whores if you can talk the lady into an open marriage.
Thing is, I can handle coming home to find some dude on top of the missus, but what if he played with the settings on my receiver or borrowed my PC to check something and installed 30 toolbars?

I'd have to kill him.

Marleyman said:
I hope it isn't too common considering I am getting married on Saturday.

Where there's a will there's a way I say. Don't let the anecdotes in here spoil your weekend. It's your damn wedding man, enjoy every second of it.

Marleyman

Banned
LegendofJoe said:
Where there's a will there's a way I say. Don't let the anecdotes in here spoil your weekend. It's your damn wedding man, enjoy every second of it.

Oh no, it definitely won't. I am really looking forward to enjoying a nice long weekend with family and friends. Thanks man.

Suairyu

Banned
Healthy sex is an essential part of communication within a long term relationship. If you aren't having regular sex, you aren't getting that non-verbal communication needed for happiness.

And lack of blowjays? Really? Do those guys not give head either? Mouth sex is amazing, giving or receiving. I cannot fathom sex outside of a quickie that doesn't involve a ton of oral.

That said, perhaps the answer lies in ToxicAdam's answers. Reducing the mouth to "another hole" and sex to simply the pursuit of orgasm leads me to believe he isn't cut out for sex in long term relationships. It's the journey, not the finish.

In this way, lack of sex = "not being there emotionally". I see it as perfectly valid someone would end a marriage over the lack of such an essential bonding, pleasurable exercise. It's essential. If you're married and not getting sex, either the partner has an unhealthy, ToxicAdam approach to sex or they simply don't love you anymore.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Marleyman said:
I hope it isn't too common considering I am getting married on Saturday.

definitely check out the book i recommended.

and congratulations! it can be the best thing that ever happens to you, if you communicate, and if you're receptive and creative.

Prologue

I don't get why couples don't divorce because of the kid. Maybe I'm too young to understand but wouldn't divorce be better than having a kid grow up in a home thats not full of laughter or happiness? They can sense that. Would you want your kid to stay in the marriage if he was in that situation when he was older? or try to pursue another road at a chance of beinghappy?

JudgeN

Its common, my marriage isn't sexless but for some reason my wife has decided she doesn't have to give bj's or tit jobs anymore. It bugs the crap out of me, if she keeps it up she's getting the boot.

I'm only 26 too guess she got the memo early that once she gets the ring she doesn't have to do shit.

Vagabundo

SmokyDave said:
Thing is, I can handle coming home to find some dude on top of the missus, but what if he played with the settings on my receiver or borrowed my PC to check something and installed 30 toolbars?

I'd have to kill him.

Oi, you NO. You can diddle with my wife, but DO NOT DIDDLE MY PC..

2djrqs5.jpg

Marleyman

Banned
beelzebozo said:
definitely check out the book i recommended.

and congratulations! it can be the best thing that ever happens to you, if you communicate, and if you're receptive and creative.

Yeah will do and thanks!

heyf00L

Prologue said:
I don't get why couples don't divorce because of the kid. Maybe I'm too young to understand but wouldn't divorce be better than having a kid grow up in a home thats not full of laughter or happiness? They can sense that. Would you want your kid to stay in the marriage if he was in that situation when he was older? or try to pursue another road at a chance of beinghappy?
I've been reading about that recently. It's being debated. It's hard to do much research on kids in unhappy families that don't divorce, so they're not really sure, but I think people are leaning more on not getting divorced is better for children. The single greatest risk factor for people (how well they do in school, if they commit crime, suicide, etc) is whether or not they had a father in their home.
For sure there are situations where divorce is better, but I'd say that if it's just a matter of "happiness", that staying together for the kids is better for the kids.

Ecrofirt

The wife and I don't have sex.

Of course, we don't sleep in the same room, either.

Actually, we're more like roommates, because we don't share intimate moments at all.

The couch sure is comfortable, though.

Utako

Banned
I have no moral qualms with augmenting a long-term marriage with some form of no-strings-attached extramarital sexual attention.

[edit] Divorce is not an option if children are involved. As a divorce child, I will not fuck anyone else over like that.

Prologue said:
Yeah well.. ofcourse you are right, but when you have a kid things often get another perspective. I can see how people can make that work. It can only work with committed, rational and sensible people though.

Anyway, all i see in most relationships that end is that two people are soo consumed by anger that they forget about what's really good for the kid. Some people are soo fucking stupid and clueless.

In the end most people start a relationship based on very little or shallow reasons. And that's completely normal from a biological point of view. But for the wellbeing of a kid, you need to think harder i'm afraid. Very few people actually do that.
Ecrofirt said:

Of course, we don't sleep in the same room, either.

Actually, we're more like roommates, because we don't share intimate moments at all.

The couch sure is comfortable, though.
may i ask why you are still together?

disco

My bf and I broke up because we didn't have sex anymore. :(

Was really sad because I loved him so much but he just didn't wanna do it anymore and it stressed me out and the more upset I got about it the less he would even talk about it. So yeh. A healthy sex life is a shared requirement, you both should either want to do it, do it occasionally or are happy not doing it. I wanted to do it and he didn't want to and it frustrated us both in the end. :(

Utako said:
I have no moral qualms with augmenting a long-term marriage with some form of no-strings-attached extramarital sexual attention.

[edit] Divorce is not an option if children are involved. As a divorce child, I will not fuck anyone else over like that.

I'll never understand this attitude. They spared you the horror of being around people that are miserable but staying together anyway. You were better off as a "divorce kid"

Ecrofirt

Always-honest said:
may i ask why you are still together?

The 'real' answer would probably be my son.

The other equally likely answer is that I'm not going to lose half of my fucking shit in a divorce. Fuck that.

Marleyman

Banned
discocaine said:
My bf and I broke up because we didn't have sex anymore. :(

Was really sad because I loved him so much but he just didn't wanna do it anymore and it stressed me out and the more upset I got about it the less he would even talk about it. So yeh. A healthy sex life is a shared requirement, you both should either want to do it, do it occasionally or are happy not doing it. I wanted to do it and he didn't want to and it frustrated us both in the end. :(

Were you married?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Ecrofirt said:

The other equally likely answer is that I'm not going to lose half of my fucking shit in a divorce. Fuck that.

i'm very sorry to hear this. it seriously makes me really damn sad. were i in your position, i'd be candid with my wife about the situation and count my losses, but in that position you would know much better than i what was the correct course of action.

regardless, best of luck to you.

Ecrofirt said:

You wouldn't necessarily have to if you could make the argument that she's emotionally and physically isolated you.

If it's as bad as you say, you need to realize the very real fact that you could get destroyed in divorce court if she were to file first even if it's truly her fault. Divorce court is pretty damned biased in favor of women unless the woman is just a total fuckup.

bengraven

I know some women who lost their libidos due to Marena and other implants.

I don't recommend those to anyone.

That said, if a woman loses her libido due to a medical procedure, especially a procedure after you have had children, I can't see a man being looked at as the "good guy" for leaving his wife.

bengraven said:
I know some women who lost their libidos due to Marena and other implants.

I don't recommend those to anyone.

That said, if a woman loses her libido due to a medical procedure, especially a procedure after you have had children, I can't see a man being looked at as the "good guy" for leaving his wife.

In that case, should she be ok with opening up the marriage or making him suffer for life?

LosDaddie

Banned
Ecrofirt said:

Of course, we don't sleep in the same room, either..

I would fix that. I mean, unless you don't want to sleep in the same bed as her.

Is your son young, and sleeping in the same bed?

Famassu

Utako said:
It's better to have happy parents who are divorced than to have parents that resent each other but stay together "for the good of the children." Edit: I mean, children aren't stupid, children are usually quite good at picking up those kind of "vibes" (they might not understand it, but they might still know something is wrong and perhaps even blame themselves of it, especially if the parents argue a lot and the subject of _the children_ comes up in those arguments). And children should get a good model of a healthy relationship from their parents. If they don't love each other and stay together just because they "have to", then that might cause some problem with the childrens' love lives too, especially if they see their parents act coldly towards each other.

of course if the parents are divorced yet still continue ruining each other's lives by making everything too complicated and problematic, that isn't good either. A clean divorce where the parents still act at least somewhat decently/friendly towards each other is the best case scenario, when it comes to wife & husband growing apart and there being children in the mix.

The worst time is coming up for me. I just had a terrible cold for a week then she got my cold for this whole Week and at the end of it all she is going to go into her no fun time week. 2 1/2 weeks is rough. we have our first vacation alone together soon (january) i can wait for it. The sex will be awesome.

Also some birthcontrol can hinder sexual libido, as well as anti depressants which my wife is also on really mild ones because of stress anxiety.

TheNatural

My Member!
ScientificNinja said:
When a kid or two comes on the scene, here's how the average day plays out:

FOR HIM:
5.30am: Kid1 wakes up for the day. Brush its teeth. Give it a bottle, sit it down in front of TV with Dora.
5.45am: Shit, shave, shower.
6.15am: Make breakfast for her. Eggs on toast... something better than cereal.
6.30am: Wash up, clean out and load dishwasher, load the washing machine and dryer, water the garden, then spend a few minutes to play with the kids.
7.15am: Drive Kid1 to day care.
7.30am: Drop off kid at day care, then drive to work.
8.30am: Arrive at office after fighting through shit traffic.
~
6.30pm: Leave office
7.00pm: Arrive home. Finish feeding Kid1.
7.15: If Kid1 finishes dinner, reward with jello or chocolate.
7.30: Dinner. Kid1 runs freely through the house to scream over our conversations, throw paper airplanes, cause a riot.
8.30pm: Brush Kid1's teeth, change into pajamas, read 3 bedtime stories, then put to sleep. Kid1 will not fall asleep unless both parents are keeping it company by sitting at the foot of its bed.
9.30pm: Clean dishes and kitchen, reload the dishwasher while catching up on what happened during the day.
10.00pm: Collapse on couch. Catch the late news or whatever's on.
10.30pm: Check on Kid1 and Kid2.
10.35pm: Surf web, play games, all the great things in life until I pass out, usually 1.00am.
3.00am: Kid1 cries. Doesn't want me. Screams.
3.05am: Kid2 woken up by Kid1. Go settle.
3.20am: Kid2 won't settle for more than a few minutes at a time. Sleep on floor and settle every few minutes until good and done.
4.00am: No idea when Kid2 fell asleep. Drag myself back to bed.

FOR HER:
5.30am: Kid2 wakes up for the day. Breastfeed, then prepare breakfast for Kid1 and Kid2.
6.00am: Kid2 goes in playpen; get Kid1 to the toilet, then feed Kid1 breakfast
6.30am: Get Kid1 dressed and ready for day care
6.45am: Feed Kid2 breakfast
7.15am: Clean up Kid2, change nappy, wipe up spew and any random poo
7.30am: Kid2 in playpen, shit, shower and whatever it is that women do.
8.00am: Play with Kid2 while unloading dryer and washing machine and folding clothes
8.30am: Put Kid2 in bed for a nap.
8.35am: Start preparing dinner for everyone - washing, cutting, peeling a whole bunch of food. Food for Kid1 and Kid2 is all specially prepared meals - no processed shit for them.
9.30am: Free time.
10.00am: Kid2 wakes up. Play with kid, watch Alice In Wonderland for the 40th time
11.30am: Lunch while feeding Kid2 lunch
12.15pm: Clean up Kid2, change nappy, wipe up spew and any random poo
12.30pm: Nap time again for Kid2
12.35pm: Finish off laundry, iron the clothes, clean the house (toys on floor, under the couch, food stains on the walls and floorboards, random stains on the carpet)
2.30pm: Kid2 wakes up. Get it changed, load it into the pram, take it to playgroup.
3.30pm: Go out to supermarket for bread, milk, baby yoghurt, supplies, etc.
4.30pm: Pick up Kid2 from childcare.
5.30pm: Bath time for Kid1 and Kid2.
6.15pm: Kid1 goes in front of TV, Kid2 in highchair while dinner is prepared for both.
6.20pm: Kid2 fed.
6.50pm: Kid2 allowed to crawl around freely or put in pen, whichever works. Kid1 fed.
7.00pm: Kid1 goes to bed.
7.05pm: Cook dinner
7.30: Dinner. Kid1 runs freely through the house to scream over our conversations, throw paper airplanes, cause a riot.
8.30pm: Brush Kid1's teeth, change into pajamas, read 3 bedtime stories, then put to sleep. Kid1 will not fall asleep unless both parents are keeping it company by sitting at the foot of its bed.
9.30pm: Clean dishes and kitchen, reload the dishwasher while catching up on what happened during the day.
10.00pm: Collapse on couch. Catch the late news or whatever's on.
10.30pm: Exhausted. Face cleansing routine, brush teeth, bed.
3.00am: Kid1 cries. Wants me. Screams.
3.20am: Kid1 won't sleep unless I sleep with her.
3.45am: Sneak back to bed.

Of course, I've left out a lot of important details such as the tantrums, toilet training Kid1, the daily office dramas and whatnot, but that's pretty much EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK for us, with the exception of weekend, in which my schedule pretty much syncs with her's.

Trust me, sex would be nice, but it's the last thing on our minds right now.

This should be a sticky thread on every forum on the internets for population control. I'm never having kids.

i'm sorry but a sexless marriage = divorce

I think most men with families can deal with sex a few times a month or less but if it stops completely?? recipe for disaster.

krypt0nian said:
I'll never understand this attitude. They spared you the horror of being around people that are miserable but staying together anyway. You were better off as a "divorce kid"

As per statistics and common sense, yes. Its not like two adults cant be in a marriage of convenience and not act like raging douchebags in front of their children.

We don't iron clothes. I don't even think we have an iron in the house. If you get your shit out of the drier and hang it up it doesn't wrinkle.

Dyno

Yeah I'm sad to say this has happened to my marriage. We go months and months now. It sucks. We kept it up after the first kid but when the second came along - romance and intimacy died. We really stopped being a couple and instead are co-workers at Raising Children Inc.

Parenting itself is pretty fucking all-encompassing and overwhelming. The itinerary posted above is spot on. Here's the other thing: how can I as a man go 12 - 14 hours taking care of a 4 and 6 year old, bringing my thoughts and conversation down to their level, and then once they're in bed - poof - I'm all ready to eat pussy and fuck? Never mind the bone-wearying and mind-numbing fatigue, how do I make the transition from nanny-nurse to stud inside the short time-frame given? Sex becomes one of the lowest priorities, and the lowest priorities always don't get done.

Ever since I became a 'hands-on' daddy with equality in my heart I've actually become quite sexist. This men and women sharing the same roll is fucking bullshit. I don't know how to act most times.

Don't get married if you like sex.

Only get married if you need kids. Not WANT kids. Feel a deep, undeniable longing in your soul to procreate. Only then does marriage make any sense at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom