• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors coming out on August 14 in Japan [Up: Famitsu Images]

Should we expect a Nintendo Direct soon to show off a new trailer, or perhaps it's too close to E3? Yeah, I'd rather them annihilate us with everything they've got in one big go :p. A story trailer for this would be a very nice accompaniment to whatever else they have to show.

Riki

Love new Impa. Love Link's design as well.

Smash Bros should use Scarf Link. :p

And Scarf Samus. And Scarf Mario. And Scarf Ness.
All Nintendo characters need bad ass scarfs.

Should we expect a Nintendo Direct soon to show off a new trailer, or perhaps it's too close to E3? Yeah, I'd rather them annihilate us with everything they've got in one big go :p. A story trailer for this would be a very nice accompaniment to whatever else they have to show.

We're getting jack until E3.

Have any of the licensed Warriors games been good? I was under the impression that they mostly suck.
My only experience is with Gundam and that was decent enough, just a very basic Warriors game.

The few little Zelda touches they've shown for this one seem to add some spice to that formula though, I think it'll end up being pretty good.

Not super familiar with the various Warriors games, but what are the odds of a character that doesn't wield a weapon being playable? I would love a mage character in the vein of Vaati to be a player character.

Scoops

Banned
Two player local?
Bombs not just for killing enemies? (so exploration or environmental puzzles)
Lots of playable character?
Characters/weapons play differently?
Character/weapon progression/customization?
Art style looks good

This is shaping up nicely.

Went from no interest to maybe.

We're enjoying it as a spinoff that happens before Skyward Sword, which it seems to be.

The game states that there was a ground civilization long before. No contradiction.

No, he is right, they just need to say "oh this civilization happened to be called Hyrule too, the name comes from their goddess Hylia that lived among them"

Ok, yes you can just cop-out and say inexplicably there was another Hyrule (which would still be conflicting with Link and Zelda's role in SS, Impa's role, as well as the entire arc of Demise), but that doesn't mean I'd like that or there's a precedent for that to happen, especially when Zelda games generally don't conflict with each other that much. I'd be pretty peeved if this conflicted with SS/Hyrule Historia to such an extent and was written off as canon.

Ok, yes you can just cop-out and say inexplicably there was another Hyrule (which would still be conflicting with Link's and Zelda's role in SS, Impa's roles, as well as the entire arc of Demise), but that doesn't mean I'd like that or there's a precedent for that to happen, especially when Zelda games generally don't conflict with each other that much. I'd be pretty peeved if this conflicted with SS/Hyrule Historia to such an extent and was written off as canon.
There's no contradiction at all though. We never knew the name of the old civilization before Skyloft went into the air, now we do: Hyrule.

You seem to be imagining some piece of information about the ancient civilization.

Before SS makes too much sense. Pre-SS Link, Skyloft, SS Impa, SS Bokoblins, etc. The only non-SS stuff is the fire rod and the Dodongo.

georly

Good. And hopefully no leaks. Though there's bound to be some lanyards that ruin everything >_>.

A Hyrule Warriors story trailer + a Zelda U trailer would be sensory overload.

Such a great way to end the digital event. Start with smash bros, end with a really good hyrule warriors trailer, THEN, do a 'one last thing' with a zelda U reveal for 2015.

NotLiquid

I don't know if I suck at Google Translate but does the Famitsu article imply that the main source of conflict stems from Shia inhabiting jealousy over Zelda in regards to Link or something of the sort?

georly

I don't know if I suck at Google Translate but does the Famitsu article imply that the main source of conflict stems from Shia inhabiting jealousy over Zelda in regards to Link or something of the sort?

God, I hope the plot is as trifling as that. Amazing.

"OMG, zelda is so hot, i'm sooooooooooooooo jealous. I'm gonna make hyrule pay!"

As far as Timeline Talk goes, and "if Hyrule Warriors takes place before SS, Ganon can't be in the game!!" goes...

... Who says the game takes place in one specific time period? The game can easily hop along to different times... just as many Musou games do in fact. It wouldn't be surprising of a Zelda Musou game to simply go through the entire timeline of the Zelda series.

As far as Timeline Talk goes, and "if Hyrule Warriors takes place before SS, Ganon can't be in the game!!" goes...

... Who says the game takes place in one specific time period? The game can easily hop along to different times... just as many Musou games do in fact. It wouldn't be surprising of a Zelda Musou game to simply go through the entire timeline of the Zelda series.
We don't know for sure, but everything so far is pointing to pre-SS. If it all takes place before SS, no Ganondorf.

So now we can all have our prequel to SS and sequel to Zelda II in one tidy package.

CorvoSol

Couldn't they also do like Gundam Musou? Story mode and not story mode where Gundams from a bunch of other timelines show up to fight?

There's no contradiction at all though. We never knew the name of the old civilization before Skyloft went into the air, now we do: Hyrule.

You seem to be imagining some piece of information about the ancient civilization.

Before SS makes too much sense. Pre-SS Link, Skyloft, SS Impa, SS Bokoblins, etc. The only non-SS stuff is the fire rod and the Dodongo.

well, if there is a princess zelda before skyloft, then there is a contradiction, unless they mean hylia

Such a great way to end the digital event. Start with smash bros, end with a really good hyrule warriors trailer, THEN, do a 'one last thing' with a zelda U reveal for 2015.

herbal-essences-orgasm-o.gif

Ooooooooo - mmmmmmm.

Throw in some Metroid for good measure :D.

By the way, that pic of the land ascending into the clouds. Most likely the Sacred Realm/Skyloft, yeah?

Let me guess the plot is Shia is jealous of Link and Zelda's relationship. Some dark mysterious force (Ganondorf or Demise) offers her power and she gets taken control of and becomes evil. As Link you have to save Zelda and then also save Shia revealing the twist that Shia isn't behind everything and its in fact Ganon/Demise. Shia and Zelda are playable.

We don't know for sure, but everything so far is pointing to pre-SS. If it all takes place before SS, no Ganondorf.

The thing is we know very little

They're could currently be showing us the beginning of the game - IF the game goes through the Zelda timeline, the beginning of the game would likely be the beginning of the timeline: Pre-SS.

Alternatively: Timelines Mashup ala Warriors Orochi.

The thing is we know very little

They're could currently be showing us the beginning of the game - IF the game goes through the Zelda timeline, the beginning of the game would likely be the beginning of the timeline: Pre-SS.

Alternatively: Timelines Mashup ala Warriors Orochi.
Which is why we're focusing on all the stuff we actually know, which points to pre-SS.

Also, which timeline would it follow?

Couldn't they also do like Gundam Musou? Story mode and not story mode where Gundams from a bunch of other timelines show up to fight?

Fist of the North Star does this as well.

Which is why we're focusing on all the stuff we actually know, which points to pre-SS.

There's no reason why it can't branch as well. That's the thing: it doesn't have to stick to one timeline.

Theres only one timeline pre-SS. Also most everything except one picture points to post-SS. That picture is also vague as to what's going on. It could be a recap or it could be Skyloft falling to the ground. You can see an OoT style Hyrule castle there.

Or it could be non-canon altogether which is kinda what I'd prefer so we can play as fan favorites like Vaati, Ghirahim, Midna, Groose, etc.

TreIII

Metroid doesn't have a history of canon alternate timelines. Also, if you want to compare this to Metroid, this game is easily canon despite how many contradictions there are. The Team Ninja Metroid game made countless retcons.

To be fair, neither did Zelda until nearly a decade ago, which only does more to prove how this type of thing is always open to re-interpretation as time goes on. First there was one timeline. Then there were two. Then by HH's release, there were three.

It's why I just keep an open mind for this type of thing, because what was the "established" or rather, what they have let us be privy to know, can always fluctuate. And likely already has.

But I sincerely doubt that they'll have a game of this sort without one of the series' most famous characters present in some way. Either time travel will be involved (which will make things even crazier), or the game will take place in another era/TL where Ganon can exist.

To be fair, neither did Zelda until nearly a decade ago, which only does more to prove how this type of thing is always open to re-interpretation as time goes on. First there was one timeline. Then there were two. Then by HH's release, there were three.

It's why I just keep an open mind for this type of thing, because what was the "established" or rather, what they have let us be privy to know, can always fluctuate. And likely already has.

But I sincerely doubt that they'll have a game of this sort without one of the series' most famous characters present in some way. Either time travel will be involved (which will make things even crazier), or the game will take place in another era/TL where Ganon can exist.
But there's a precedent for Zelda, unlike Metroid. Not comparable. Just admit you were wrong.

Theres only one timeline pre-SS. Also most everything except one picture points to post-SS. That picture is also vague as to what's going on. It could be a recap or it could be Skyloft falling to the ground.
Exactly, I was referring to the "What if it goes through the whole series" part.

but how can there be an earlier princess zelda if hylia was still alive ...
Because it wasn't Hylia, but a Princess named Zelda?

Anteo

but how can there be an earlier princess zelda if hylia was still alive ...

There is a girl that happened to be called Zelda there, she was a princess. Hylia went to her and said "yo girl Im gonna reincarnate into all your descendants, deal with it"

there

Also, this could be post SS but before any other game, I hope this is non canon but still tries to fit into the timeline anyways.

RagnarokX

So far nothing points to it being pre-SS except the scarf, which is more just a Dynasty Warriors thing. The bokoblins point to it being around SS, Hyrule points to it being long after SS, Impa could be the same Impa but she has a scar she didn't have in SS and is probably just related (I mean we don't assume characters like Link, Zelda, and Tingle are immortal and are the same person in each game), Link having the triforce points to after OoT, Dodongo looks like it did in OoT, Volvagia is apparently dead...

So far nothing points to it being pre-SS except the scarf, which is more just a Dynasty Warriors thing. The bokoblins point to it being around SS, Hyrule points to it being long after SS, Link having the triforce points to after OoT, Dodongo looks like it did in OoT, Volvagia is apparently dead...
The scarf, the enemies, Impa, and the fact that Skyloft leaving the ground is in the game lol. There's no reason to think Volvagia is dead of whatever.

And Hyrule is the civilization the demise attacked.

I don't care if this isn't actually canon, but I hope it isn't just a mishmash of random Zelda characters. Hopefully it's something that could fit even if it's not really intended to.

Really, every Zelda game has some kind of inconsistency which is interesting. It makes it feel like it's actually a legend being warped throughout generations.

Top Bottom