• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac Teasing Sunset Overdrive Via Ratchet Promo Tie-In?

LMJ

dj khaled GIF by BET Hip Hop Awards

Okay now THATs got me excited 😁 😆

Insomniac can't put a hold on Spider-Man or Ratchet and Clank for Sunset Overdrive, it makes no sense. And I don't see them doing three franchises concurrently.

Arun1910

Spiderman = context sensitive gameplay designed so that casuals have no issue jist doing cool shit by random simply by holding down a single button...

no handholding, no sidestory crap with boring gameplay and not a game that has been made 10 times already.

do sum it down:
Spider-Man = do cool stuff by holding down button
Sunset Overdrive = do cool stuff because you played well enough to even unlock the ability to do the cool stuff

If you played Spider-Man this when then fine, fair enough.

The combat system isn't deep but it's easy to learn/ fun to master.

I never played this game button smashing, I always did tool combinations, lots of bouncing around/ariel combat combos to keep things fresh.

If anything I think just pressing a button to shoot a gun is more boring than the option to string together different combat moves on the ground or in the air and whilst combining gadgets in both those scenarios.

LMJ

I think one of the dimensions in the game may be the Sunset Overdrive dimension so they could make a short cameo. Same goes with Sly Racoon (I hate Sly Racoon, let's hope it isn't the case) and maybe some other game.

They could even use it as a teaser for a potential PS+PC Sunset Overdrive remaster/port. But if it was for me, I wouldn't waste Insomniac's talent on Sunset Overdrive and would outsource the ports to someone else (and wouldn't make Sunset Overdrive 2).

After Ratchet, I'd like to see Insomniac focused on Spider-Man 2 (with Peter as main character again and featuring Venom) and after that to work on a -maybe VR friendly- new IP. And if they want to use another Marvel IP, then I'd want a X-Men (or Wolverine) game.

Its Sly COOPER you Godless communist lol

Come on Ape Escape teaser :D

Spidey Fan

Banned
Sony fans aren't missing much tbf.
The game deserves to be shared with others. no platform should blocked it.

sadly. this is the norm these days. I tried the game on x1s, and it was fun. hoped PlayStation guys will taste it. Got my hopes shutdown by insomniac.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
That was before Sony owned them :p

That first entry will stay exclusive, unless they work it out with Xbox.

After acquiring Insomniac Games last month, Sony finally confirmed that it now has the rights to all of Insomniac’s wholly-owned properties. This includes 2014’s Sunset Overdrive which was an Xbox One exclusive until it was ported to PC last year. It seems as though Microsoft still has publishing rights while Sony owns the actual IP.

Speaking with Japanese publication Inside Games, Sony Interactive Entertainment president Shuhei Yoshida said “SIE holds the rights to past Insomniac Games works.” Sony doesn’t seem to have interest in working out some sort of agreement to port Sunset Overdrive to PS4. Yoshida added “I am looking forward to future titles.”

Not sure, it kinda sounds like they even own the old one's right according to Shu.

Last edited:

After acquiring Insomniac Games last month, Sony finally confirmed that it now has the rights to all of Insomniac’s wholly-owned properties. This includes 2014’s Sunset Overdrive which was an Xbox One exclusive until it was ported to PC last year. It seems as though Microsoft still has publishing rights while Sony owns the actual IP.

Speaking with Japanese publication Inside Games, Sony Interactive Entertainment president Shuhei Yoshida said “SIE holds the rights to past Insomniac Games works.” Sony doesn’t seem to have interest in working out some sort of agreement to port Sunset Overdrive to PS4. Yoshida added “I am looking forward to future titles.”

Not sure, it kinda sounds like they even own the old one's right according to Shu.
3dBVpPv.gif

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Thinking Think GIF by The official GIPHY Page for Davis Schulz

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Yup, that Insomniac tweet was before Sony's full acquisition of Insomniac Games. Interesting to keep an eye for it, maybe something to be announced around their big event later this month.

Knowing Xbox, they wouldn't mind any extra cash from an IP they already lost already.
Looks like I might be the idiot then.

Varteras

Gold Member
I mean if a remaster happened that'd be cool but Sunset Overdrive is not their best work. Not at all bad and definitely not their worst. But I feel like if you were going to spend any time bringing something back in remastered form or going back to a franchise you haven't touched in years, I'd rather it be Resistance.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Day 1 for me, whatever it is. Sunset Overdrive was awesome. Open world + Ratchet & Clank weapons + Jet Set Radio Traversal + tower defense sections. So much fun. I enjoyed the humor too. Definitely a lot funnier than crap like Borderlands

Roberts

The game felt like tailor-made for me and while I more or less enjoyed the time I spent on it (I returned to it at least three times over the years), I never even came close to finishing the game. I always abandoned it for games that seemed more interesting at the moment. probably the only big Xbox exclusive that I never finished.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I mean I don't think there's anything stopping Sony from finding a way to release SSO on the PS5. My guess is a good remaster.
My understanding of the rights situation is that MS owns the first game, but not the broader IP, so Sony could make a Sunset Overdrive 2 or use the characters in a new game but they can't re-release the first game.

So probably NOT a remaster. Like literally anything except a remaster.

Last edited:
My understanding of the rights situation is that MS owns the first game, but not the broader IP, so Sony could make a Sunset Overdrive 2 or use the characters in a new game but they can't re-release the first game.

A reboot might work or a remake.

sainraja

Spiderman = context sensitive gameplay designed so that casuals have no issue jist doing cool shit by random simply by holding down a single button...
fighting system being Batman but with webs.
and all in all not innovating in any way, being handholdy all the way to the end, with annoying sidestory mission with other characters.

meanwhile Sunset Overdrive, classic arcade feel inspired by Jet Set Radio. focis on skill based gameplay that rewards you for playing well by giving you cooler and better abilities the higher your combo goes and the better you chain stuff together, while punishing you for standing still and doing basic shooty shoot.

no handholding, no sidestory crap with boring gameplay and not a game that has been made 10 times already.

do sum it down:
Spider-Man = do cool stuff by holding down button
Sunset Overdrive = do cool stuff because you played well enough to even unlock the ability to do the cool stuff

Spider-Man may have been the best Spider-Man game ever, but the concept is not much different than the last dozens of Spider-Man games. it played it save

I platinumed Spider-Man so I'm not saying it's bad, but the only reason it is held in such a high regard, while the not that much worse Amazing Spider-Man 2 just a few years prior wasn't, is because it was a PS exclusive game published by Sony... and that's a fact.
it was a slightly more polished version of said game, and that's about it
You must be new to gaming so I will say this as delicately as I can....games are designed to be played in a certain way and only provide you with an illusion of control. Whatever you are able to do in a game is because it was designed to allow YOU to do that.

I guess according to you all the Batman games fall into the same press button to do stuff gameplay system. The reality is, we're all pressing buttons to do stuff in all games lol. And it's funny you say you have played the game yet your description of its gameplay is just 'pressing a single button' which isn't true. Having said this, pressing a sequence of buttons does not add more depth to a game - it's how it all comes together does.

Last edited:

sainraja

MS does not own the first game. Insomniac (at that time) wanted to maintain the rights to their IP. One of the reasons they didn't go with Sony. Microsoft only published the game and let them keep the IP rights.

Last edited:

sainraja

before people get hyped. that is direct insomniac tweet.

Oh, that's interesting. I stand corrected? I wonder if it is exclusive because Insomniac wants to keep it that way (I know this doesn't make sense) or MS does owns the rights? I really thought that Insomniac owned the rights to the IP, the reason they want with Microsoft. Hmmm.....I suppose something changed? I even remember it being reported like that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom