• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac/Ted Price talk about Sunset Ovedrive, helmed by Resistance leads

Cause ReadyatDawn website calls it our new IP even though Sony trademarked the game. I don't know the legality, but if someone trademarks something in his name, does that mean that he owns it?

If Sony owns the trademark, they own the IP. RAD is calling it "their" new IP because it's the first time they've developed a game that wasn't based on a pre-existing franchise.

Pretty simple.

Cyborg

With all do respect but I cant take Ted Price serious after his comment ''this could be only done on Xbone''!

Satchel

Banned
With all do respect but I cant take Ted Price serious after his comment ''this could be only dan on Xbone''!

I believe the reason he mentioned was in relation to data collection. I assume the always on thing, combined with Kinect and I assume they'll be continually gathering that data in the background via the......cloud processing (felt awkward saying that) is something that might not be viable on PS4.

Example, the camera isn't packed in, and I assume Sonys cloud solution is purely for streaming and not data collection?

Just speculating based on I,formation gathered through interviews and what we know about Xbox One

graywolf323

I believe the reason he mentioned was in relation to data collection. I assume the always on thing, combined with Kinect and I assume they'll be continually gathering that data in the background via the......cloud processing (felt awkward saying that) is something that might not be viable on PS4.

Example, the camera isn't packed in, and I assume Sonys cloud solution is purely for streaming and not data collection?

Just speculating based on I,formation gathered through interviews and what we know about Xbox One

nothing about the data collection screams can't be done on PS4 or for that matter PS3 unless they mean the fact it'll be collecting data from everyone since people can't stay offline

honestly I wouldn't be surprised when all is said and done that Naughty Dog will collect more data from The Last of Us on PS3 than Insomniac will get from Sunset Overdrive on Xbox One (total number of players, etc.)

Satchel

Banned
nothing about the data collection screams can't be done on PS4 or for that matter PS3 unless they mean the fact it'll be collecting data from everyone since people can't stay offline

honestly I wouldn't be surprised when all is said and done that Naughty Dog collects more data from Last of Us than Insomniac will get from Sunset Overdrive

That's what I mean. If Insomniac utilizes Kinect to gather information about players, then that's already one reason it can't be done on PS4.

Mik_Pad

Banned

What do you mean by Data Collection?

With all do respect but I cant take Ted Price serious after his comment ''this could be only done on Xbone''!

I call BS too and its obvious.

The Xbox One and Xbox Live will support our ambitions to create an ongoing two-way dialogue with our community. It will also allow us to have quicker production cycles, enabling timely content updates for new weapons, characters, storylines and even pop culture-relevant content like memes based on social commentary.

I'm sure you can have an always online game on PS4 too except players have options to go offline too.

Satchel

Banned
What do you mean by Data Collection?

He mentioned it in his interview.

So id assume something like Kinect. For example, Kinect can track your reactions to what's happening during any given part of a game.

That data can be tracked by Insomniac and apparently the game is being built to be adjustable, if I'm not mistaken.

If you believe respawns comments on the giant bomb e3 cast, MS has made it easy to spin up azure servers on demand to dynamically accommodate players. Im making a big speculative guess here, but this and other comments indicate to me that the Xbox team is trying to make online development a lot simpler for their platform. As an attempt to get rid of servers shutting down this generation, the connection with azure makes multiplayer planning and implementation easier by simply eliminating swathes of it. Having a massive online infrastructure already available for insomniac might be something they are referring to-- not that it can only be done, but that it might be much easier to implement their vision. Sony's haikai is not the same thing at all as azure elastic compute. They can build something similar, but it wouldn't be prudent. If you take insomniac at their word, this is the main points that I can come up with. Perhaps the Xbox team has a well developed Xbox live SDK up and running for devs, I dunno. Sony doesn't seem interested in the space yet, but they are clearly bumping up psn from its horrid ps3 state.

As a ps3/2 owner with lots of insomniac games, I definitely see why some fans are dismayed. As someone who is very optimistic about the possibilities of a more connected gaming experience, I'm intrigued by the snippets that are coming out about the game. As an MS employee, feel free to call me devilspawn and games industry killer and Judas.

If you believe respawns comments on the giant bomb e3 cast, MS has made it easy to spin up azure servers on demand to dynamically accommodate players. Im making a big speculative guess here, but this and other comments indicate to me that the Xbox team is trying to make online development a lot simpler for their platform. As an attempt to get rid of servers shutting down this generation, the connection with azure makes multiplayer planning and implementation easier by simply eliminating swathes of it. Having a massive online infrastructure already available for insomniac might be something they are referring to-- not that it can only be done, but that it might be much easier to implement their vision. Sony's haikai is not the same thing at all as azure elastic compute. They can build something similar, but it wouldn't be prudent. If you take insomniac at their word, this is the main points that I can come up with. Perhaps the Xbox team has a well developed Xbox live SDK up and running for devs, I dunno. Sony doesn't seem interested in the space yet, but they are clearly bumping up psn from its horrid ps3 state.

As a ps3/2 owner with lots of insomniac games, I definitely see why some fans are dismayed. As someone who is very optimistic about the possibilities of a more connected gaming experience, I'm intrigued by the snippets that are coming out about the game. As an MS employee, feel free to call me devilspawn and games industry killer and Judas.

Omg your tag hahahha.

Yep, and the funny thing is I don't think the mod knew I was an employee at the time. I've always tried to make it pretty clear though

derFeef

I call BS too and its obvious.

I'm sure you can have an always online game on PS4 too except players have options to go offline too.

Why would you want to go offline in a game that's primarily online?
edit: @ lastflowers - don't sell yourself short, always enjoy your posts in the WP thread.

Satchel

Banned

This is kinda what I was talking about.

Stuff like:

Ted Price said:
Imagine a game where the experience can constantly change, and is influenced by its community of players. With “Sunset Overdrive” we aspire to redefine “agility” as we listen to feedback players give us while playing the game and then respond with meaningful content - fast. In particular our goal is to maintain an ongoing 2-way dialogue with our community.

Ted Price said:
During the last generation of consoles, getting feedback from players and updating content rapidly was almost unheard of. There were far too many technical hoops to jump through to make it practical or even doable for just about everyone. However Xbox One is now making that dream practical for a number of reasons – both technically and philosophically.

I'm hopeful and really excited about this game, but I don't know if the game being helmed by the Resistance leads is something I'm suppose to be excited about, or if it's a veiled threat.

All kidding aside, I love Insomniac. I do, but I love their Ratchet games, their spyro games. I don't believe they should do more traditional shooter based games, because I don't think that's their strength at all. I've enjoyed some of their games over the years, but Resistance is the worst, most uninspired piece of work they've ever done, and it's what directly led to Fuse. I pray this is when they meet the potential that I think is there. No disrespect to anybody that enjoyed Resistance, but those games always turned me off.

I'm just really interested to see how this turns out.

I just think they'd do a lot better leaving the huge games alone. If you want your own IP, start several small things, out of the three that release, take the most successful one, and build on it.

Build up to the AAA games. So you're making it for someone, rather than starting over every single time.

Alx

Are we talking about the game yet? I like the gun that shoots records.

Yeah, me too. I was smiling from the beginning of the trailer, but I started laughing when records started flying around, slashing mutants. That's Unreal Tournament meeting Shaun of the Dead. :)
I wonder what kind of sound that weapon can make. Could we have the gun play the music of the next record to be launched ? ^^

Daylight

Yeah, me too. I was smiling from the beginning of the trailer, but I started laughing when records started flying around, slashing mutants. That's Unreal Tournament meeting Shaun of the Dead. :)
I wonder what kind of sound that weapon can make. Could we have the gun play the music of the next record to be launched ? ^^

I was actually thinking about that too. Like if it had a charge shot, and the music started to play at half speed and then rev up to double speed to let you know the charge shot was ready.

FeD.nL

I'm not gonna buy an Xbox One but i'm really keeping an eye out for this game. It looks fun and I really enjoyed R3.

I guess jstevenson works for Insomniac? Well, all I'll say is this. I wasn't a fan of the Resistance games, but I always see things as glass half full, so I'm not going to give your guy's new game an unfair shake simply because I literally hated everything about the Resistance games.

As far as I'm concerned, the games that I didn't like from Insomniac don't exist. I'm looking at Sunset Overdrive with a lot of excitement and hope. If the game is anything like that trailer, you'll have a dedicated supporter of your game, and I'll be an active participant in suggestions for what you guys can do with the game to constantly make it better, if my view even matters, but I'll give your game a fair shot.

No matter how many times I think Rare doesn't do exactly what I want them to, I never end up giving up on them. I think every developer deserves a second, third, fourth, or even an infinite number of opportunities to try and win gamers over with new projects, because each new game of interest is like a blank slate as far as I'm concerned. I'm already paying attention and excited, which means all Insomniac has to do is give me enough reasons to feel my excitement was completely warranted. There's real potential for Insomniac to do some amazing things with this new game of theirs and I'm rooting for you guys.

From the sounds of it, they didn't even approach Sony with this game. Their plan was always to go multiplatform with everything they made from FUSE onward, not counting Ratchet or Resistance. Why would they approach Sony with their new multiplatform IP?

My guess is that they didn't approach Sony because Insomniac wanted ownership of the IP and MS would bend to their demands on that while Sony have a very strict policy on IP ownership.

I also figure that MS wanted a second party developer with which to combat Sony's sprawling first party, there are 7 studios that have yet to show a project on PS4 and haven't made a PS3 game for a long time and that doesn't include potential secondary teams who may be working on new concepts.

Hindle

Banned
Blatant disrespect in this thread from people who'll never achieve what Insomniac achieved.

As for my view? I really hope they knock it out of the park with Sunset Overdrive,

And oh Rock and Roll, never mind the bollocks, here's Insomniac etc.

Literally the only exclusive I saw from Microsoft's conference which looks really good, albeit with very little to go off. Not the biggest FPS-nut but I still love more stylized shooters in the style of TF2/TimeSplitters and sticking to this should help Insomniac be in their element far more than they were for Fuse.

If anything, my biggest concern right now is that maybe the enemies won't look varied or interesting enough. I know that's way too much to assume from just that trailer, but, hey, this game is about giving tons of input to the dev and the dev reacting to that input. Nobody said we had to wait till the game is released or finished :)

Also, this might seem a bit much, but I'd actually really love to see that animation of the player falling down and landing in an uncool manner actually be in the final game.

EGM1966

It seemed, apart from a very early good start with RFOM, that Insomniac just couldn't catch a break this (last) gen - R&C selling less than before, Resistance franchise crumbling, some weak R&C side games, then Fuse/Overstrike debacle.

I look at this decision in the light of the current XBone backlash and get the feeling they're going to do it all over again this gen.

What a time to move away from Sony guys.

Alx

If anything, my biggest concern right now is that maybe the enemies won't look varied or interesting enough. I know that's way too much to assume from just that trailer, but, hey, this game is about giving tons of input to the dev and the dev reacting to that input. Nobody said we had to wait till the game is released or finished :)

I agree with that too. Seeing that all mutants were just clones of each other raises a few concerns about diversity. I suppose that there will obviously be other kinds of enemies, but even in "swarm" levels, it doesn't hurt to have one "big guy" standing out of the crowd, here and there. Or anything else that can break the repetitive aspect of that crowd.

StuBurns

Banned
It seemed, apart from a very early good start with RFOM, that Insomniac just couldn't catch a break this (last) gen - R&C selling less than before, Resistance franchise crumbling, some weak R&C side games, then Fuse/Overstrike debacle.

I look at this decision in the light of the current XBone backlash and get the feeling they're going to do it all over again this gen.

What a time to move away from Sony guys.
They only need one 'Borderlands' and the whole remaining indie and owning IP thing is going to pay huge dividends.

derFeef

I really can't wait for some gameplay or simply more information.
Is it just 4p coop? Horde mode? Open world sandbox? Loot, crafting... ?

Was there any up-to-the minute meme based social commentary in the trailer? Because I think it would have helped to sell that concept if there was, even if it was just something on one of the billboards. Not counting the Sean of the Dead reference 'cos that's getting on for 10 years old.

But I believe Dikembe Mutombo Saves the World has proved that it can be done successfully.

It may surprise some of our longtime fans that we have partnered with Microsoft Studios to develop Sunset Overdrive exclusively for Xbox One. When we first began discussing this idea with Microsoft, we were initially hesitant to shift back into an exclusive arrangement. But as the Microsoft team began introducing us to the abilities and philosophies driving the development of Xbox One, we knew that Sunset Overdrive was a perfect fit.

Yeah... you are going to launch a new core IP on a plattform that is dead to core gamers and in addition to that you launch on a plattform where you have absolutely no installed fanbase.

Good luck with that...

dejay

Banned

Also, this might seem a bit much, but I'd actually really love to see that animation of the player falling down and landing in an uncool manner actually be in the final game.

As I said in another thread, the trailer gave me the oft mentioned JSR + Crackdown vibe, but the enemies gave me a Crackdown 2 "freaks" vibe. I disliked the repetition of those enemies immensely.

Anyway, I'm not going to judge from such early a reveal, only to say that I'm excited to see where it goes. It's good to see some vibrant colour and character and if the design stays true to the flair in that video I'll be happy.

The problem with Insomniac is they have developed this idea that 'having cool' weapons is enough to set them apart from everything else on the market. It started with Ratchet and it was made worse with Resistance. Now it's literally all they do.

When EA put pressure on them to change Overstrike they swallowed their pride and made Fuse a game about 'cool weapons.'

Naughty Dog are evolving the industry through story telling and writing and Insomniac are making a machine gun that can shoot buzz-saws.

To be fair, that's a damned good recipe. The best shooter of this generation (Bulletstorm) had a similar focus, but also did some real clever things with controls and (I know, I know) "gunplay."

I'd be interested since I like the focus on weapons, but I'm not getting an Xbone ever so hey. Too bad.

better than A Crack in Time?!

I would say it was about as fun, but less polished, not surprising given that Sanzaru don't have very much PS3 experience and ACiT was Insomniac's 4th PS3 game. Sly 4 was their first original concept for PS3 and in that light, I think it's a great start for them and I really look forward to their future PS4 output and would love to see them take a crack at a proper ACiT sequel rather than A41 or FFA.

Blatant disrespect in this thread from people who'll never achieve what Insomniac achieved.

As for my view? I really hope they knock it out of the park with Sunset Overdrive,

And oh Rock and Roll, never mind the bollocks, here's Insomniac etc.
As someone who never got into Resistance or Fuse, this looks like a return to form for Insomniac. So much potential in an open world and great style/personality. I will probably get an Xbox One for this (along with Below).

I know this off topic (though it is under my craw), but I considered Insomniac for a long time to be a sister company of Naughty Dog and am wondering if you would still have these same feelings if Naughty Dog wasn't owned by Sony and jumped ship:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=48807684&postcount=424
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=48810627&postcount=487

Dremark

Banned
So what happens if Insomniac announces a PS4 exclusive? Will they suddenly be awesome again?

People have been saying they are a subpar dev since around the time Resistance 2 came out. Them making a game for Xbone has nothing to do with it.

They'll go back to being awesome when they start making good games again, if they ever actually do.

I suppose, but if they own the IP what's to stop them from self publishing on the PS4 later? What good is owning the IP if you are handcuffed to a console still?

Epic owns the Gears of War IP but apparently they cannot port the first 4 games anywhere else, if the internet is to be believed.

Based on interviews from E3 between people from RAD and SSM, it seems Ready At Dawn is going to retain the IP rights to The Order: 1886.

Incorrect. You can see the and © and ™ at the end of this trailer and they are clearly owned by Sony Computer Entertainment.

Top Bottom