• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac/Ted Price talk about Sunset Ovedrive, helmed by Resistance leads

Satchel

Banned
You know, deep down, Pachter is right. Too many on GAF (any forum in general really) don't look at the business side of things.

sleepykyo

You don't think it's a bit hypocritical that Insomniac makes a lot of noise about going multiplatform, does so with terrible results, and then turns around and makes an exclusive?

Not really. They tried to go multi-plat and everyone saw how that worked out.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
All this Insomniac bashing is getting fairly tiresome.
You know, deep down, Pachter is right. Too many on GAF (any forum in general really) don't look at the business side of things.
That could be said for a ton of things, really.

End of the day is this is what is happening, the studio is working on something that greatly fits their MO (No doubt in part with some MS help), and the XBO isn't going to sell 50k units like some people think.

EMT0

Banned
I would not call it hypocritical, no, when their multiplatform effort is focus-grouped into oblivion, turning a unique concept into a dude bro shooter that promptly failed, and in response they find a publisher willing to finance them and let them go back to their creative roots.

That, my friend, is called rational and intelligent business maneuvering to keep your studio relevant and prosperous in the coming generation.

Let me add a bit more detail to what I outlined. The entire time that Fuse has been made, Insomniac has not wavered in their faith in Fuse, even through the focus testing(which Insomniac denies and calls misinformed assumptions) and have made noise about making a sequel/expanding the Fuse universe.

Fuse's bombing in sales is a relatively recent event. For Sunset Overdrive to appear at MS' conference, you'd have to imagine that plans for its exclusivity was in the works for more than a couple of months.

Yes, I am digging into this more than is strictly necessary, but it's what conclusions I can logically reach with the information I have. It doesn't sound like Insomniac's PR matches the inner goings.

All this Insomniac bashing is getting fairly tiresome.

That could be said for a ton of things, really.

End of the day is this is what is happening, the studio is working on something that greatly fits their MO (No doubt in part with some MS help), and the XBO isn't going to sell 50k units like some people think.
Yeah I find it weird as well that some people actually think it is going to sell that much :D

not sure i follow their reasons for exclusivity.

do they know 100% that PS4's process won't be as 'timely' as xbone? it will enable them to use memes and social commentary? only xbla can allow them to have two-way communication with the community?

it sounds to me like the question presented to Insomniac was "what do you like about having your game on xbone?" so they answered what things they liked. then it was posted in an article claiming those points were the reason for exclusivity.

as said before, im not that upset due to how Fuse turned out coupled with this game looking pretty uninteresting. their relationship with Sony being maintained is good though, as i am in dire need of a RC:ACiT sequel. way bad.

I-hate-u

My guess is money and control. New IPs are particularly important at the start of a generation.

Unless I am wrong, Sony has been known to let developers do what they want with their games. Also Insomniac said every Ratchet game they made was profitable. What I understand is that Insomniac parted from the Sony exclusivity route to own their IP but I do not understand the benefits.

Fletcher

Let me add a bit more detail to what I outlined. The entire time that Fuse has been made, Insomniac has not wavered in their faith in Fuse, even through the focus testing(which Insomniac denies and calls misinformed assumptions) and have made noise about making a sequel/expanding the Fuse universe.

Fuse's bombing in sales is a relatively recent event. For Sunset Overdrive to appear at MS' conference, you'd have to imagine that plans for its exclusivity was in the works for more than a couple of months.

Yes, I am digging into this more than is strictly necessary, but it's what conclusions I can logically reach with the information I have. It doesn't sound like Insomniac's PR matches the inner goings.

Interesting. Interesting. But really who gives a shit? Buy the game or don't buy the game. Fact of the matter is the video game industry is a business. Get over it.

and if it makes you feel any better. By them signing this contract with MS has given the company more money to play with in the future. It has essentially insured the fact that you will get another R&C game.

Fletcher

Would be nice if the people who had no plans to buy XB1 would stop port begging in threads like this.

Pretty much this. People really crawling out of the woodwork.

The trailer on this game seemed interesting as other people have said. Anxious to hear more about it.

JABEE

Would be nice if the people who had no plans to buy XB1 would stop port begging in threads like this.

Did you read the piece that was linked in the OP? The Message was specifically about the platform and to dispel the notion that they are abandoning their "PlayStation Heritage." Conversations that touch on Price's message linked in the OP are relevant.

Unless I am wrong, Sony has been known to let developers do what they want with their games. Also Insomniac said every Ratchet game they made was profitable. What I understand is that Insomniac parted from the Sony exclusivity route to own their IP but I do not understand the benefits.

I wasn't referring to creative control. It's all about money.

Besides, for all we know Sony wasn't too interested in working with Insomniac and started offering unfavorable deals. We just don't know.

And in the end it doesn't really matter.

artist

Banned
Insomniac's President: "Insomniac has been, is, and will continue to be 100% independent."

Insomniac's Community Lead:
image.php

Insomniac's corporate messaging is just as disorganized as Microsoft's, huh? LOL
Besides, I dont know why he was calling people who voted MS conference 1/2 as "crazy".

EMT0

Banned
Interesting. Interesting. But really who gives a shit? Buy the game or don't buy the game. Fact of the matter is the video game industry is a business. Get over it.

and if it makes you feel any better. By them signing this contract with MS has given the company more money to play with in the future. It has essentially insured the fact that you will get another R&C game.

...It's really not about the Ratchet games. Not in this case. Considering what the OP is about, I'd say that people DO in fact give a shit about this, since it's relevant to what Ted Price's message is. The OP contains both info about SO and Ted Price's message to fans of Insomniac used to the Playstation.

Strictly speaking, most everything in your life is ran by business and business interests. Why should I shut up on video games, a creative medium that relies on building a dedicated fanbase to remain profitable?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Besides, I dont know why he was calling people who voted MS conference 1/2 as "crazy".

still is. That was everything people have always said they've wanted conferences to be (wall to wall games) and had a ton of new IP mixed with existing ones with lots of new games announced.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Is there a reason why Insomniac wants to own their IP? I have not seen Sony do anything bad with their games heroes except from Heroes on the Move.
Wanting to leverage their IPs and not be beholden to other parties—so, money and control. Same reason Bungie broke away from Microsoft.

You don't think it's a bit hypocritical that Insomniac makes a lot of noise about going multiplatform, does so with terrible results, and then turns around and makes an exclusive?
They negotiated the deal with Microsoft more than a year ago, or so I've heard.

Fletcher

...It's really not about the Ratchet games. Not in this case. Considering what the OP is about, I'd say that people DO in fact give a shit about this, since it's relevant to what Ted Price's message is. The OP contains both info about SO and Ted Price's message to fans of Insomniac used to the Playstation.

Strictly speaking, most everything in your life is ran by business and business interests. Why should I shut up on video games, a creative medium that relies on building a dedicated fanbase to remain profitable?

Don't really care if you care. The topic of this thread is about the game Sunset Overdrive and new information that will be released on this game. If you guys wish to discuss your feelings on Insomniac as a company and how they wronged you, then by all means, start another thread.

Ploid 3.0

This is how you get your game to be on the front page of gaf for 5 hours. Again kidding JStevens lol.

BTW even though I'm set on not making any attempt to play the game I'm very interested in how it shapes up and I will keep a eye on it. I'm interested in how a lot of stuff will turn out, the last 3 months of this year are going to be juicy. Seeing how xbox one games look compared to ps4, not sure when SunsetO is going to be shown, next E3 or a bit later, maybe 2015 I'm thinking, going by Overstrike trailer to Fuse showing. Overstrike went missing for a long time after that first trailer.

Insomniac has been putting extra time in their games since R2 or so, so 1 1/2 to 2 years maybe for the launch window.

EMT0

Banned
still is. That was everything people have always said they've wanted conferences to be (wall to wall games) and had a ton of new IP mixed with existing ones with lots of new games announced.

I have to agree with you. I'd give it a solid 8 at a minimum(and as far as first/second party games go, they did much better than Sony). It's just that, well, everybody's out for blood due to the Xbox One's policies being VERY controversial. Can't say I blame em though. Sunset Overdrive was the highlight of the conference for me.

Don't really care if you care. The topic of this thread is about the game Sunset Overdrive and new information that will be released on this game. If you guys wish to discuss your feelings on Insomniac as a company and how they wronged you, then by all means, start another thread.

Did you read the OP? Half of the OP is about Insomniac addressing their current fans and their feelings.

Obviously people have decided DRM and consumer rights are more important than a few exclusive games. Oh, and the console costing $100 more doesn't help matters.

artist

Banned
Doesn't matter if the draconian DRM outweighed everything else. Generalizing isn't good and bad when you of all people is calling people crazy ..

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Obviously people have decided the DRM and consumer rights are more important than a few exclusive games. Oh, and the console costing $100 more.

conference didn't have anything to do with that beyond the price point.

I understand why people did, I still think if you're rating a conference, you're rating a conference.

sikkinixx

Looks cool and I wish them the best, even though to me they have only made one really decent game since the ps2 era (crack in time). Shame I will never play it. Xbone won't get my money until it's had a couple price drops and by then this game will be irrelevant.

Ploid 3.0

I think things changed because people had a lot of new questions they wish microsoft would clear up. They didn't mention the DRM and online check situation at all, and had scheduling conflicts which made them very unavailable for questions. Anything shown was as if it was on a plate lined in mud, you may be hungry but is this really mud or is it just chocolate. Ruined appetite.

People voted it 0.5? Out of 5 or 10? yeah that's a silly score. 1 would be that CEO guy on the stage just yelling and sticking out his tongue.

Is there a reason why Insomniac wants to own their IP? I have not seen Sony do anything bad with their games heroes except from Heroes on the Move.

Well that's a pretty bad one. Also I can totally understand building something from the ground up and wanting to determine where it lands. Look at the fate of crash and spyro :(

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I wish Insomniac all the best but, from the business side of things, you do have to wonder why they chose to seek out other partners only after wading through the worst of the PS3 years with Sony and seemingly making the decision when the situation had significantly improved for Playstation and Sony. From a business perspective, if they thought they were abandoning a sinking ship, they have pretty poor timing.

EMT0

Banned
Well that's a pretty bad one. Also I can totally understand building something from the ground up and wanting to determine where it lands. Look at the fate of crash and spyro :(

And now you've gone and done it. Brought up the wound that will never heal.

Ironically, Crash and Spyro are probably exactly why Sony refuses to work on any IP it doesn't own anymore. Because they're probably just as pissed as we are that Universal took those IPs with them and then let Activision ruin them.

Ploid 3.0

I wish Insomniac all the best but, from the business side of things, you do have to wonder why they chose to seek out other partners only after wading through the worst of the PS3 years with Sony and seemingly making the decision when the situation had significantly improved for Playstation and Sony. From a business perspective, if they thought they were abandoning a sinking ship, they have pretty poor timing.

They probably felt limited in the money they can make by creating new IPs for sony. If they make a runaway hit like CoD, or Gears imagine how awesome that would be for insomniac. It may be a long shot but they just may have a shot. Well that's what I'm thinking anyway.

Ironically, Crash and Spyro are probably exactly why Sony refuses to work on any IP it doesn't own anymore. Because they're probably just as pissed as we are that Universal took those IPs with them and then let Activision ruin them.

Yep totally, I think so and I think it's the reason pretty much everyone think so. Heck even Insomniac probably understand it, they are at the core of that situation. They too had Spyro taken from them. Heck look at Spyro now, not many people probably know Insomniac is behind it and Spyro is probably a household name now.

Aaron

I understand why people did, I still think if you're rating a conference, you're rating a conference.
Really though you're rating the people the company puts out to sell the audience on that conference. Sony had the right people out to sell the right elements of their console. I don't think anyone could have slipped online play behind a paywall as effortlessly as Jack Tretton. While Microsoft... they need a decent frontman asap. I feel like every time they put Don Mattrick on stage they are losing ground, and I don't think it's a coincidence that public perception of Microsoft and Xbox were much better when they had men like Peter Moore leading the charge. I feel like with the right voice behind it, even $499 isn't a hard sell.

web01

It increases their worth as a company by a few hundred million dollars.

lol only if the IP is valuable and even then a couple hundred million is a ridiculously huge exaggeration, THQ dying showed us even established IP's with rich history can sell for shit all.

I enjoyed it's single player. Didn't like the MP.

The series peaked in Fall of Man. I loved that game. Played it for dozens of hours in the mp and replayed the singleplayer/co-op a few times.

Resistance 2 was by far the weakest.

I honestly am sad that Insomniac has potential but seems like that lazy kid in school who is smart but just doesn't care and his grades suffer because of it.

I think your problem is that you play it too safe. WAY TOO SAFE. You find something that works and stick with it for years.

Ratchet games are basically the same. You play one, you've played them all. And when you tried something new with it, you put a second rate team doing them and their quality suffered.

Resistance 1 was phenomenal. Great gameplay, phenomenal MP, interesting story... and you dropped everything in search of the CoD crowd, thus alienating your previous fans. Resistance 2 was a mess. A very big mess.
Resistance 3 single player was very good, but multiplayer felt... wierd. I thought it wasn't polished at all.

Haven't tried Fuse so I won't give my opinion of it other than it's an insomniac game. "Hey guys we're insomniac. Look at our cool weapons".

Ever since ratchet that I feel this is the theme of every Insomniac game. Cool, quirky weapons.

It's a shame. Both in the ps1 and ps2 era I thought you guys were Naughty Dog's rivals and both were equally as good. That might've been in the past but it certainly is not now.

I would love to see Insomniac take a leap of faith and go all in for a realistic darker game. Something like the Last of Us, but without zombie like enemies or monsters.

Doubt this will ever happen

No.

TheOddOne

I kind of find it ironic that people call them sub tier developers, but then are extra mad because they are making an exclusive game. Other companies have done it, but they are usually met with cheers are championed for ‘sticking it to the man!’. Guess Insomniac doesn’t get that luxury.

Concept looks really cool, the Jet Set Radio type art style is really striking. Want to see actual in-game footage. Jstevenson, fix this ish.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
They probably felt limited in the money they can make by creating new IPs for sony. If they make a runaway hit like CoD, or Gears imagine how awesome that would be for insomniac. It may be a long shot but they just may have a shot. Well that's what I'm thinking anyway.
It's a valid rationale, but it's also one that apparently didn't concern them for the first 20 yrs of their existence. Which just makes the timing of lashing their fortunes to Microsoft's troubled XBO all the more unfortunate.

Sean

Banned

Sony owns both the Ratchet and Resistance IP so it's not like Insomniac had much of a choice. Abandoning ship would've also meant abandoning their brand new franchise and game engine.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I kind of find it ironic that people call them sub tier developers, but then are extra mad because they are making an exclusive game. Other companies have done it, but they are usually met with cheers are championed for ‘sticking it to the man!’. Guess Insomniac doesn’t get that luxury.

Concept looks really cool, the Jet Set Radio type art style is really striking. Want to see actual in-game footage. Jstevenson, fix this ish.

oh, btw, you were the first person on the internet to be right on top of it when you figured out Xbox execs were following insomniac along with all the other first-party partners.

everybody dismissed you, but you were dead on. We were scared to get them to stop following us and Ted as we figured you might check and find that even more mysterious.

We have said it times and times again, its published by Msoft. So the chance of Ps4 later are pretty slim.

Tell that to Ninja Gaiden 2. And Mass Effect. And Braid. And Castle Crashers. And almost every single major XBLA exclusive over the past generation.

Sunset Overdrive could definitely go to PS4 later, but that's wholly dependent on Insomniac finding a non-MS publisher willing to back them. They probably won't work with EA again after FUSE and Sony definitely wouldn't publish the PS4 version of SO for them, which means their list of potential partners is not huge.

faridmon

Tell that to Ninja Gaiden 2. And Mass Effect. And Braid. And Castle Crashers. And almost every single major XBLA exclusive over the past generation.

Sunset Overdrive could definitely go to PS4 later, but that's wholly dependent on Insomniac finding a publisher willing to back them. They probably won't work with EA again after FUSE, which means their list of potential partners is not huge.

Ninja Gaiden was changed as a Sigma. Madd Effect was bought and paid heavily by EA and XBLA games were all timed-exclusive...

VanWinkle

I feel like, in regards to your earlier comment about Sony and you (insomniac) not having a fallout, there are reasons to think you did, in fact, have a soured relationship. I noticed how you've made many comments about the Xbox One and the conference, but really very few about the PS4. Don't get me wrong, you can like or dislike whatever you want - more power to you - but you do represent your company and I feel like it's pretty clear that your relationship with Sony is not what it once was.

I think a lot of this negativity is about the fact that Insomniac has built up a passionate and dedicated fanbase on Playstation over the last 15 or so years. You announced you were going multiplatform, which made a lot of fans uneasy because it meant that you were no longer dedicating your time and resources to the platform they loved. That multiplatform game also happened to be your most generic ever, which lost some fans' trust and faith in the company. But, above that, the major problem is that you didn't "cut exclusive ties" (I use that in a loose term) with Sony to become multiplatform, you...just..."cut ties". Completely ABANDONING that dedicated fanbase rather than just making them join with a new group is what I see as a pretty unfortunate move, and an understandable reason for fans' resentment

I'm not a massive Insomniac fan, so this situation doesn't particularly bother me, but I have enjoyed your games since the first Spyro, despite you having some duds (R2, R&C A4O, R&C FFA, and Fuse). I have fond memories of R&C, and Resistance 3 is one of the better FPS's of this generation. Honestly, I could see myself playing this new game if it was on the Playstation platform (I like Xbox but have no desire for the One). It looks cool. The game looks fun. It's just comments like "Wouldn't be possible without the Xbox One" or "Xbox One was the perfect fit" that make people, even me, think you're being fake. You know full well that the PS4 exists, it does what you're trying to do, is more powerful, and has all of those online features that you want to put in. Put the game on Xbox One exclusively, that's Insomniac's prerogative, but don't make fake excuses that people can see right through.

Ninja Gaiden was changed as a Sigma. Madd Effect was bought and paid heavily by EA and XBLA games were all timed-exclusive...

Most of the XBLA games like Limbo, Castle Crashers and Braid were published by Microsoft on the 360. Regardless of their timed exclusivity, Microsoft was the publisher of those games.

Regarding Mass Effect and Ninja Gaiden 2, it's not important how they changed platforms. The fact of the matter is that EA and Tecmo wanted them to be on PS3, so they found a way to make them on PS3.

That's the risk you run when you publish a game without owning the IP. As long as Microsoft doesn't directly develop the game in-house, there's not that much they can do if the IP holder wants to go elsewhere once the contractual period has expired.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.

Sunset Overdrive could definitely go to PS4 later, but that's wholly dependent on Insomniac finding a non-MS publisher willing to back them. They probably won't work with EA again after FUSE and Sony definitely wouldn't publish the PS4 version of SO for them, which means their list of potential partners is not huge.

People need to stop using ME as an example, Bioware was bought by a third party, had they remained independent, I'm positive ME would've stayed exclusive.

EMT0

Banned

What about Ninja Gaiden 3's Wii U version? It was apparently being published by Nintendo but is now on PS360.

TheOddOne

oh, btw, you were the first person on the internet to be right on top of it when you figured out Xbox execs were following insomniac along with all the other first-party partners.

everybody dismissed you, but you were dead on. We were scared to get them to stop following us and Ted as we figured you might check and find that even more mysterious.
:O

Was totally strange finding you guys being followed by Phil Spencer and Mike Ybarra. Dismissed it at first. I got as far as finding out that Drew (‘Creative Director on something’) was probably working on something new. After that the trail went cold.

I for one am shocked I got so much right…

People need to stop using ME as an example, Bioware was bought by a third party, had they remained independent, I'm positive ME would've stayed exclusive.

If BioWare wanted it to go elsewhere, they would've found a way to make it show up elsewhere. Just like if Epic wanted to make Gears of War for the PS3, there's not really anything MS could do to stop them. It really all depends on what the IP holder wants to do with its product.

BioWare may not have decided to develop a PS3 version of Mass Effect if EA hadn't bought them out, but that's a hypothetical situation we really have no evidence for or against.

Top Bottom